Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

For $250k you could buy a real supercar

$250k was just the work. He's probably in the car for around $350k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

For $250k you could buy a real supercar

For $250k I could have a REAL Audi Sport Quattro in my garage with a 700 hp motor.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I think we have all learned that Ulimateforce needs to get in the R35 GTR business.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

For $250k I could have a REAL Audi Sport Quattro in my garage with a 700 hp motor.

For 250k I could buy the truck workshop next door and have a lot left to build whatever the hell I want.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Exactly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Must be nice to have that much money to spend on a toy. I'm with GF - I'd buy or build my own shop for that.
What really got me is that he let the guy continue to work on the car after so many missed deadlines and broken promises. One problem is that he sent the car to a shop that was apparently far away enough that he couldn't drop by weekly or so to check progress, and they clearly took advantage of that. Pretty naive and trusting for someone with that kind of cash to blow, too.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
That dude is like every shady contractor's wet dream. Tons of cash and the inability to hold people accountable for taking it away from him.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How the gently caress do you earn that kind of money and have no sense about how to spend it properly?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
who said he earned it?

"Daddy I want a GT-R"
"I said I WANT a GT-R!"

Also, he didn't buy an Audi built properly with 700bhp because he wanted 1200bhp, and 1200>700 so clearly a GT-R with $250k spent is better than any supercar

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Add http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/483103-forged-performance-my-story.html to the list.

Reminds me a lot of a shop I used to know of.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004
Kinda crazy that nobody checks around before putting so much money into their car (which is already an investment in itself).
Hell I've dealt with Forged before, super friendly and pleasant to talk to but they have a reputation for ripping people off both in terms of craftsmanship and overcharging. Do shops like this typically have this problem?

And yeah if you're in the southeast, just go to Topspeed in Alpharetta :confused:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Its been my experience that performance shops that do customer builds have no one working there that could be considered an engineer, yet they do fairly complicated engineering tasks...poorly. I've always avoided taking my cars to them good reputation or not. They also tend to hire dumb car enthusiast types because they'll work super cheap. Problem is they're lucky if they even went to tech school and often pay in the $10-12/hr range.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lord Gaga posted:

Its been my experience that performance shops that do customer builds have no one working there that could be considered an engineer, yet they do fairly complicated engineering tasks...poorly. I've always avoided taking my cars to them good reputation or not. They also tend to hire dumb car enthusiast types because they'll work super cheap. Problem is they're lucky if they even went to tech school and often pay in the $10-12/hr range.

If I ran a shop like this and had the money to spend, I'd want at least one or two mechanical engineers on staff to verify changes and so I could tell customers that I was comfortable with the changes made.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CommieGIR posted:

If I ran a shop like this and had the money to spend, I'd want at least one or two mechanical engineers on staff to verify changes and so I could tell customers that I was comfortable with the changes made.

There's no way you could afford to pay them unless you were an already-established shop with good throughput.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A 35k consulting fee from a real engineer would not be unreasonable if the guy is dropping 250k.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's fair, I was looking at the cost of keeping one or two on staff ~40 hours a week. Asynchronous consultants would definitely be a lot cheaper.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What the hell was he trying to do? I mean, isn't the GT-R about one of the most practical super cars on the planet?

I mean, unless you want to go faster, get a freaking motorcycle.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like the shop owner posted and gave the typical excuse of "Someone else did it and they aren't with the company any more." Apparently this is the second time he has used that exact excuse. You see that excuse all the time in stories like this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That holds nearly as much water as "these aren't my pants, officer." :jerkbag:

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Some unfortunate Elise owner who took his car to Forged for a full engine build posted:

They failed to put fluid back in my transmission and ran the car on their dyno unitl they broke the gear selector. Gave the car back to me, would not stay in 3rd gear. I contacted them and they would not do anything about it. Claimed they didn't touch the transmission, however my particular car (Lotus Elise) is impossible to remove the motor without pulling drive shafts from the transmission (wihich drains the fluid).

That's comically terrible. Oh, and the kicker?

quote:

They also blew the new motor rebuild on their dyno and I had to pay to rebuild it twice in their shop.

kastein posted:

It's more a case of "Oh, these aren't pants, it's a kilt and it's not mine because I'm male and men don't wear kilts and by the way that's not a crack pipe it's a sandwich."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

I've actually had this case. My client was accused of shoplifting pants that had drugs in them.
Can't make this poo poo up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

I've actually had this case. My client was accused of shoplifting pants that had drugs in them.
Can't make this poo poo up.

What was he picked up for, shoplifting or possession? Both?

Does drugpantsonline.com ship to Canada?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What was he picked up for, shoplifting or possession? Both?
Both.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did you get him off?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Did you get him off?

I think he plead to the shoplift which unfortunately was on video.
I still want to know how the drug got into the pants. I don't think my client had time to slip them in there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Did you get him off?

That's a rather personal question I think. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

That's a rather personal question I think. :v:

A joke almost as old as criminal defense itself.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Jesus christ, this is on the same level as the poo poo that Hennessey pulls. What a loving mess.

This is my favorite part:

quote:

When asked where the transmission cooler was, Sharif replied "that's a good question"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
These are the people who drive Nissan GTRs. This is terrible because I know there are good posters on this forum who drive them but it's kind of hard to take anyone who drives a GTR seriously after reading that poo poo.

In a related vein.

These are the people who drive MINIs. How do they actually have the gall to write this kind of flippant poo poo after delivering a car without remembering to install the shift paddles? I guess I am just not the target market for these things because if I had hosed up something like that at my job then well, I wouldn't be laughing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How...how do you not notice that the paddle shifters are missing? Would you pay for the shifters and then just drive in in (A) all the time? Who are these people? :psyduck:

E: and of course Jalopnik eats this poo poo up like candy (discovered through Googling). Another reason I don't read Gawker sites anymore.

Looking through some forums and reports it seems that many, many of the 2013 JCW minis were missing the paddle shifters, and MiniUSA promised that they would be fixed by March 2013 (first noticed December 2012). Nobody got theirs fixed before April, and quite a few people ended up just getting their cars bought back by MiniUSA because they couldn't meet the deadline and people were pissed.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 11, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Throatwarbler posted:

These are the people who drive Nissan GTRs. This is terrible because I know there are good posters on this forum who drive them but it's kind of hard to take anyone who drives a GTR seriously after reading that poo poo.

In a related vein.

These are the people who drive MINIs. How do they actually have the gall to write this kind of flippant poo poo after delivering a car without remembering to install the shift paddles? I guess I am just not the target market for these things because if I had hosed up something like that at my job then well, I wouldn't be laughing.

You aren't the target market.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've sold parts/service to a number of GTR owners, and yeah, there are some dummies with cash to burn. There are also some really cool/smart car guys with them, like the 60 year old surgeon I know in SD who is at the track all the time.

We also got service, installations, and big builds contracted out to us by a "shop" that specialized in selling JDM bullshit. I felt so bad for the owners of some of the cars that came in (many GTRs). At least we did a good job with the install.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 11, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, I took that letter as a good thing. Yes, it's a pretty sad failure to send a car out missing a fairly significant component, but I'd say the letter shows that at least someone cares a bit more than "Oh, another fuckup? Send out form letter #8327C." Or, you know, having the dealership itself be the only mouthpiece for the company (which, if I remember correctly, was a lot of Das Volk's problem with his accursed C6).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It's not like anyone on the line would know any better, they just do what the computer tells them to do. It sounds like this was a widespread problem, so it was probably some fuckup by someone doing the computer programming of what should be put in where.

I like the letter, they at least tried to put some levity in the situation. I would have liked to have seen a blanket offer for a loaner/rental vehicle though, considering this was anticipated to take two days and it was their own error.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I took that letter as a good thing. Yes, it's a pretty sad failure to send a car out missing a fairly significant component, but I'd say the letter shows that at least someone cares a bit more than "Oh, another fuckup? Send out form letter #8327C." Or, you know, having the dealership itself be the only mouthpiece for the company (which, if I remember correctly, was a lot of Das Volk's problem with his accursed C6).

Yeah, that's the way I take it as well. They realize it's an absurd situation so they just kind of ran with it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The bad thing is that this has been a known problem since December, and they're only now getting around to notifying that guy. A recall was issued in March for the issue on any possible remaining vehicles.

Why are they letting him know so late? That's my question. If you google this issue, it seems most everybody else already had this taken care of months ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

We also got service, installations, and big builds contracted out to us by a "shop" that specialized in selling JDM bullshit. I felt so bad for the owners of some of the cars that came in (many GTRs). At least we did a good job with the install.

Actually, this is probably better than the "shop" hacking poo poo up themselves.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if that is a actual MINI form letter. Most of their documents have a noticeable tongue and cheek nature to them. Ala their marketing:

Not apologizing for them but this actually seems like a reasonable mistake. The John Cooper Works cars used to only come in manual. However, you can order the JCW steering wheel on a regular "S" car with a auto-box. So, I would not be shocked if someone on the line saw "JCW Wheel" and just failed to pull the extra parts because "JCWs only come in manual". The dash and everything gets assembled separate from the body and long before the engine/transmission is mated. So, until late in the process it's unlikely anyone would notice. This doesn't excuse the final quality check guy missing the fact auto car didn't have shifters. It's kind of hard to miss given they're right where your fingers rest on the back of the wheel.

The two day repair time is also confusing. The only way I could think of the repair taking two days is if they had to pull the wheel, install the paddles and then run the wires for the switches back down the steering column to the transmission.

Full disclosure: Yes, I own a MINI. Fantastic little car but quality is a issue.
Edit: Update the above because apparently they're now offering a automatic transmission in the Cooper Works cars. Shame on you MINI :colbert:

Aurune fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 11, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The paddles are built into the wheel, not the column, right? Probably requires a new clockspring as well. I still don't see it taking two days, but...

Awesome roll cage, bro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If the wiring is different, it could mean a whole new under-dash and pulling the entire dash to install it.