Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the info; very interesting. Also I get to whip out this gem again:

fig. 1: WWF Super Wrestlemania's title screen for the SNES

fig. 2: WWF Super Wrestlemania's title screen for the Genesis/Mega Drive

It should really be noted that the logo on the Genesis, being actually drawn and not a crappy bitmap, actually looks overall nicer. Plus I'll take line-art over photos in my games of that era, it's like a constant reminder of all the horrible digitized-photo stuff from that era (though some of it was good).

EDIT:

keep telling yourself that buddy

We don't need to tell ourselves what's already apparent, but this isn't YCS so we shouldn't be talking like that, should we?

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Go get it! Gamestop probably still has some refurb Gamecubes sitting around for $20 and that's a kickass price for what's basically the SNES2.

I probably will on Monday when I finally have another day off to goof around and irresponsibly spend money. The shop is closed Sundays at least, so as long as it doesn't go tomorrow I suppose I can just pick it up and grab the other pieces later on down the line when I feel like collecting something else. I'm still kinda riding my GBC kick and playing through my cheap copy of Super Metroid.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Kind of sidetrackin' here, but is something like this even remotely possible to accomplish on an actual SNES console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo5sI-iOgY

Not one bit. That TAS, and most TASes, uses frame-specific movements and inputs done by pausing and unpausing an emulator one frame at a time.. Normal speedruns can also have frame-specific movements but those are like, hitting one button on one frame in a 1-second animation, not literally changing inputs every other frame.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I don't think that's the same TAS, but I think it's the same method- I saw one that used that same glitch where the TASer had 4 multitaps connected, had the SNES's PC jump to the input registers, and literally inputted the assembly to jump to the ending routine. Sometimes you can play these on a real console by hooking the controller port up to an Arduino or something and syncing them on boot, but I kind of doubt this is one you could do that with.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I had to complete my snes console collection by picking up a super famicom. Can I just plug this bastard into a U.S. outlet or do I need an adapter of some sort so I don't fry it?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Not one bit. That TAS, and most TASes, uses frame-specific movements and inputs done by pausing and unpausing an emulator one frame at a time.. Normal speedruns can also have frame-specific movements but those are like, hitting one button on one frame in a 1-second animation, not literally changing inputs every other frame.

Though it depends on what you mean by "real console" as a guy has made an arduino snesbot that plays back the recorded input as real controller data to a console. A real human can't do it of course, but that glitch has been shown to work on a console: http://youtu.be/wE94C3wzJ9M

E: I think NES and SNES are the few consoles that sort of thing works for though. Until recently there were basically no cycle-accurate emulators for other systems, and even bsnes will desync with some addon chips (superfx, sa1, cx4).

parasyte fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 11, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

I don't see why I can't just install a switch to let you choose between RGB-21 and Euro SCART. I wasn't clear about that at all. I'll need to open it up and really see how much spare room I have. I also don't have any sort of power drill so I don't think I'd make a very good hole in a case for a switch.

edit: Look at this everyone! fatpat268 hooked me up and none of my SNES/SFC games are lonely anymore :3 Also I got another copy of one of my favorite Pinball games which I always regretted selling off.

What are the games in that pile with Japanese titles?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Allen Wren posted:

What are the games in that pile with Japanese titles?

The one on the right's Umihara Kawase, dunno about the other.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Valis 3. I don't actually own a cart of Valis 3 (I own them on PC Engine though) but it's for my Mega Everdrive :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So went to Gamestop again and this is what 20 bucks got me:

The big find was getting Jedi Outcast for $3.50. I also couldn't remember which Hulk game was the Crackdown type one and which one was the medicore action one, so I wound up getting both. I confused Sega Soccer Slam with being inline with the Sega All Stars games but for a dollar I figured I'd check it out.

I'm going back tomorrow because after finding Jedi Outcast I completely forgot to get one of the earlier COD games and the first installment of Legends of Wrestling. I'm also curious to how the Star Wars Clone Wars game is.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 11, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
The manual for Clayfighter Sculpter's Cut is worth $1000+ now. Holy poo poo, I thought Earthbound was expensive!

http://www.destructoid.com/clayfighter-n64-instruction-manual-going-for-over-1000-253482.phtml?utm_source=feedly

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Awesome! Thanks for the info; very interesting. Also I get to whip out this gem again:

fig. 1: WWF Super Wrestlemania's title screen for the SNES

fig. 2: WWF Super Wrestlemania's title screen for the Genesis/Mega Drive

That's just bad palette utilization.

Counterpoint:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

the_lion posted:

The manual for Clayfighter Sculpter's Cut is worth $1000+ now. Holy poo poo, I thought Earthbound was expensive!

http://www.destructoid.com/clayfighter-n64-instruction-manual-going-for-over-1000-253482.phtml?utm_source=feedly

Jesus, I never thought it'd get that bad.

For a refresher, Clayfighter Sculptors Cut is a N64 game that was released only as a blockbuster game. Which means boxed copies are extremely rare as they gutted those to make BB cases and whatnot.

Manuals are double rare, because everyone knows how hard it is to keep a manual with a rental. Much less keep it in good condition.

As a theory, there would be an N64 holy grail in a sealed Sculptors Cut, which could be almost as valuable as Stadium Events.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kind of sidetrackin' here, but is something like this even remotely possible to accomplish on an actual SNES console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo5sI-iOgY

According to the authors notes for the improvement, his can but the one you linked can't.

http://tasvideos.org/3957S.html

There are TAS bots that hook up to controller inputs. Not sure if current TAS bots can emulate the multitap this uses. That Mario World TAS uses controller inputs to execute code. Se also this glowing controller.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 11, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

Died how? They can be taken apart and fixed.

It won't turn on anymore. Light doesn't come on when I hit the power button and nothing appears on screen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

So went to Gamestop again and this is what 20 bucks got me:

The big find was getting Jedi Outcast for $3.50. I also couldn't remember which Hulk game was the Crackdown type one and which one was the medicore action one, so I wound up getting both. I confused Sega Soccer Slam with being inline with the Sega All Stars games but for a dollar I figured I'd check it out.

I'm going back tomorrow because after finding Jedi Outcast I completely forgot to get one of the earlier COD games and the first installment of Legends of Wrestling. I'm also curious to how the Star Wars Clone Wars game is.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is GREAT. HULK is terrible, but it's fun for a bit to play as grey Hulk. He spouts cheesy one-liners.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

I also can't believe that Neo Geo ad talked down to itself by mentioning the price. "Are we six times the cost of the competition? Is our target audience six times older than 99% of the people reading this magazine? Sure, but... hey, wait a minute! Where are you guys going?!"

e: What are they even comparing it to? I'm pretty sure the Genesis was more capable than the PC Engine unless they're comparing it to Master System. Does that mean "Nintendo" is an NES? What the gently caress?

e2: They got the sprites swapped for "Sega" and "NEC." The colors are kind of right but they just made poo poo up for the sound channels.

This is from pages back, and I've probably posted this a thousand times already, but some kid wrote a letter to SNK disputing their advertising claims and got a reply from Chad Okada, GAME LORD:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
So ever since I got a turbo controller I've been trying some games with it, and I remember I got Konamik Sports in Seoul (Track & Field II), So I pop the game into my Famicom, plug in the Hudson joypcard and boot up the game, and it won't respond to the Joycard. Odd, so I press start on the built in Famicom controller and it works. Konami made it so you can't use anything but the built in Famicom controllers to play Track and Field II. You clever bastards :argh: Score one for America.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This is from pages back, and I've probably posted this a thousand times already, but some kid wrote a letter to SNK disputing their advertising claims and got a reply from Chad Okada, GAME LORD:

Why Capitalise the MEG in Megabytes if comparing them to Megabits? Like "megaBYTES, not megaBITS :smug:"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

shymog posted:

We don't need to tell ourselves what's already apparent, but this isn't YCS so we shouldn't be talking like that, should we?

Woah woah woah I was joking man, didn't mean to offend or nothin'

*backs away slowly*

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

I had to complete my snes console collection by picking up a super famicom. Can I just plug this bastard into a U.S. outlet or do I need an adapter of some sort so I don't fry it?

I personally use as step down transformer but everyone points and laughs at me stating that it can handle a 20 volt difference just fine. Keep in mind that the SFC has a completely different sized pin, so you cannot use the US power supply in it or anything.

Also, thanks to everyone who replied with the TAS info for Super Mario World. I was just wondering if that crazy thing where in the underground he causes all of those fish to appear is possible to recreate. These speedruns are a lot less fun knowing the truth. :(

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Lately I have been scouring through old things and I came across a few old games that I forgot about LONG ago. I cannot even remember how I played the Ghost House on the Sega system. Cover art for games has certainly come a long way...

lifenomad fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 11, 2013

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

lifenomad posted:

Lately I have been scouring through old things and I came across a few old games that I forgot about LONG ago. I cannot even remember how I played the Ghost House on the Sega system. Cover art for games has certainly come a long way...

Time Soldiers is probably a great game with a second player but I have yet to complete more than one level alone. The rate of fire on the mini bosses is too fast to ever get a decent shot at them. Typically after dodging bullets for a minute or so I just get annoyed and charge in and just take the hits. It makes for a short game. I mistook it for Gain Ground when I ordered it. :argh:

There's something charming about the happy robot voice that announces the land mines in Super Baseball 2020.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I really feel like finally pulling the trigger on adding a Gamecube or Saturn to my family of consoles, but it seems like real life matters keep conspiring against me and keeping me on my toes financially. The Gamecube especially, since the Gameboy player is such a thing I want, and it's probably only going to get more expensive over time. :argh:

the_lion posted:

I feel really annoyed that I probably missed out on a chance to actually get a copy of the game, and maybe even more than just the cart. Around the N64 era, I was pretty tight with the Blockbuster staff and was a big fan of Clayfighter on top of that. If only I had a little more money at the time or known about it being exclusive to the chain, I might have tried to inquire about it later in the N64's days.

WickedIcon posted:

It won't turn on anymore. Light doesn't come on when I hit the power button and nothing appears on screen.

It may still be fixable, even for a novice. A Genesis I saw with the same problem ended up just having a loose connection between the board and the power cord's plug.

Edit:

lifenomad posted:

I did a double-take when I saw that cover you posted.

The box cover art is literally a picture of someone holding the game cartridge. :stare: Which has it's own artwork that they surely could have used as the box art instead...?

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 11, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Midnight Raider posted:

The box cover art is literally a picture of someone holding the game cartridge. :stare: Which has it's own artwork that they surely could have used as the box art instead...?

It's pretty typical for North American cover art for sega card games:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Install Gentoo posted:

It's pretty typical for North American cover art for sega card games:

Which led us to this:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That SNK letter is just hilarious. It made my day. You don't see stuff like that anymore, the average customer is just too well informed.

Silhouette posted:

That's just bad palette utilization.

Counterpoint:

Yeah, you can't account for laziness or incompetence in design. Just look at the difference in Wing Commander, SNES vs. SegaCD

What happened here? The SCD had the same palette and resolution as Genesis so what happened here? Was the SNES incapable of dithering or something?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Also, thanks to everyone who replied with the TAS info for Super Mario World. I was just wondering if that crazy thing where in the underground he causes all of those fish to appear is possible to recreate. These speedruns are a lot less fun knowing the truth. :(

SDA has tons of people doing frame-accurate tricks in games in physical systems so I'd assume it's possible to spawn fish with the P-Switch for a human. The impossible part comes when you spawn 10+ of them and carefully keep track of the exact number of times they have bounced.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

That's not even the worst of the Master System boxes.

al-azad posted:

What happened here? The SCD had the same palette and resolution as Genesis so what happened here? Was the SNES incapable of dithering or something?

Yes, it did have the same palette and resolution as the Genesis. That color depth was significantly lower than than the SNES. It looks like they just took the original VGA 256 color screens and dropped them in the console ports. The SNES could match it, the Genesis can only do 64 colors.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 11, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

univbee posted:

"Cracked" versions of console games are a real thing, as numerous games had software subroutines that verified the validity of the disc or the system in some fashion, usually by querying the system in a way an unmodded system would FAIL. If it instead passed, that meant the system wasn't passed. This had the side effect of making even legit copies fail on modded systems, but you could bypass this issue with a Gameshark or equivalent; the cracked versions basically have the Gameshark code built-in.

Some games got crazy-creative with this: Earthbound famously made the game super-hard and, if you nonetheless made it to the end, it would crash after you beat the 2nd to last boss and erase your save games. Their verification method was pretty fool-proof, though; if you had more memory for save data than an official cart, you were flagged.

Some DS games do it, too, although it's generally only a thing on systems where modchips and piracy are plentiful.

The Dreamcast is weird; it did have region checks, so a legit wrong-region disc would fail, but their checks weren't done in a sophisticated manner, in part because they thought their GD-ROM discs were protection enough. It was mostly security through obfuscation and the whole thing came crashing down once one person managed to rip a GD-ROM disc through the serial port on the system.

I love crazy copy protection. One of the neater ones was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for DS: after a few minutes of playing, the game stopped and a screen popped up that said "Thank you for playing!" and had a moogle on it. I love that they decided to treat a pirate like a person who just wanted a demo.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon has really famous copy protection in that it was implemented throughout the game and got really hard to break. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3030/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, it did have the same palette and resolution as the Genesis. That color depth was significantly lower than than the SNES. It looks like they just took the original VGA 256 color screens and dropped them in the console ports. The SNES could match it, the Genesis can only do 64 colors.

It looks like they redrew everything in the SNES version. Some of the details are wrong and practically everything in the barracks was removed. I guess Nintendo said "These dirty clothes on the floor imply people are sleeping naked, remove them."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Try the GBA port of DKC. For some reason it has really lovely colors; almost Genesis-like color spectrum. Not sure why since I believe the GBA was capable of 32k colors like the SNES?
The GBA DKC ports hosed with the colors to make things brighter to try and compensate for the vanilla GBA's lack of screen light. The first couple of Super Mario Advance games do the same thing, but its not as obnoxious due to those games being less visually complex.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

It looks like they redrew everything in the SNES version. Some of the details are wrong and practically everything in the barracks was removed. I guess Nintendo said "These dirty clothes on the floor imply people are sleeping naked, remove them."

No, the SNES barracks is how it appears if you haven't saved any games. The Genesis one indicates that there are saved games.

Edit: The background details in the barracks and bar change from time to time as well. Also, I know way too much about the original Wing Commander (remember to shoot Maniac with guns and save your missiles for important targets!).

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

No, the SNES barracks is how it appears if you haven't saved any games. The Genesis one indicates that there are saved games.

Edit: The background details in the barracks and bar change from time to time as well. Also, I know way too much about the original Wing Commander (remember to shoot Maniac with guns and save your missiles for important targets!).

I'm confused, is the SNES the top or bottom? You're talking like its the top, but he's talking like it's the bottom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mobius posted:

I'm confused, is the SNES the top or bottom? You're talking like its the top, but he's talking like it's the bottom.

The top one is the version from the SNES and PC, the bottom one is the Genesis.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Sega Trio AC adapters are available for pre-order in case you missed it last time: http://www.retrogamecave.com/sega-ac_adapter.html

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mobius posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The top one is the version from the SNES and PC, the bottom one is the Genesis.

No, the top is Sega CD the bottom is SNES. The SCD version uses dithering to make up for the limited palette while the SNES version looks like they dropped the graphics directly into the SNES hardware and called it a day but they also redrew/removed details??? This is the PC DOS version for comparison.

PC > SegaCD > SNES

My original point was that you can produce superior quality on inferior hardware, it's just a matter of putting effort into it which clearly the SNES designers didn't do!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 11, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Finally bought one of recommended SCART switches on the shmups forum. Over 55 bucks to ship from the UK from a marketplace seller on Amazon.co.uk. The seller ExpressPro does international shipping. For comparison, I was considering using a package fowarder that probably would have bumped up the price a bit more.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Finally bought one of recommended SCART switches on the shmups forum. Over 55 bucks to ship from the UK from a marketplace seller on Amazon.co.uk. The seller ExpressPro does international shipping. For comparison, I was considering using a package fowarder that probably would have bumped up the price a bit more.

Hmm, I've been looking for a reasonably priced scart switch, and that might just do the trick. Total with shipping directly from amazon uk as the seller comes out to $60.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Hey, does anyone have an old / beat up taco GBA they'd be willing to part with for cheap? Condition is pretty muc a non-issue because I just want to use it with a Gamecube link cables.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have the guts to a gba sp. You'd need to get a shell and battery and put it back together, so probably not worth it for you.

Edit:saw you wanted the OG kind. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeathBySpoon posted:

Hey, does anyone have an old / beat up taco GBA they'd be willing to part with for cheap? Condition is pretty muc a non-issue because I just want to use it with a Gamecube link cables.

How beat up is acceptable, cuz I have this:

• Locked thread