Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mans posted:

How could someone trust AQ member not to slice their throats during any process of the negotiation?

Because no one will pay a ransom in future kidnappings if that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This has to be the most well produced video I've seen from the Syrian opposition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ltrIzC6yTI

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's been reports of explosions in the Turkish town of Reyhanli, where there's a large number of Syrian refugees. Currently 18 people are reported dead, with dozens injured. The Turkish authorities in the area are claiming it was at least one car bomb, with 4-5 explosions reported in total.

I've collected photographs and videos from the attack :nws:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xandu posted:

Apparently $4m went to the tribal mediators, but yeah they were just random citizens studying arabic.

The Finns were a Finnish Defence Forces officer working on his PhD on terrorism, who was supposed to go to Saudi Arabia but somehow ended up in Yemen, and his wife who is an employee of Neste Oil petroleum company and also has a military background. Apparently the kidnappers had no clue of their backgrounds.

Finnish military industrial complex :tinfoil:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anita McNaught of AJE filmed an excellent interview with soon-to-be former SNC leader Moaz al-Khatib, where it's pretty clear the amount of fuckery going on in the SNC is making it worthless and toothless, among other things. Well worth a watch.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Egyptian police have arrested three al-Qaeda militants planning a suicide attack on a Western embassy, the country's interior minister says.

Mohammed Ibrahim did not specify which embassy had been targeted, but said a quantity of chemicals had been found.

Mr Ibrahim gave the names of three men and said they were planning attacks in both Cairo and Alexandria.

The plot was said to be in its final stages, he said.

At a news conference, the minister gave details about the discovery of 10kg (22lbs) of explosive material, a computer with files containing information on bomb-making and a flash memory with instructions on how to build rockets.

The three suspects, described as jihadists, were in contact with another militant in the Sinai peninsula and had received training in Pakistan and Iran, he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22495369#TWEET751987

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

a Finnish Defence Forces officer working on his PhD on terrorism, who was supposed to go to Saudi Arabia but somehow ended up in Yemen

It's like he's the United States after 9/11.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

40 dead, 100+ injured (at least 29 heavily) in the Turkish car bombings now.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, that can't be good. Turkey's gonna go apeshit over this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Oh man, that can't be good. Turkey's gonna go apeshit over this.

Well these Turks have decided to go apeshit on the vehicles of Syrians in Reyhanli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJpqTFvJU0

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A third explosion just happened in Reyhanli. No word on casualties yet.

Sounds like poo poo is really going down there- unconfirmed reports of gunfights between Turkish residents and Syrian refugees.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Has anyone claimed responsibility for this, or are people just assuming it's the Syrians?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

paragon1 posted:

Has anyone claimed responsibility for this, or are people just assuming it's the Syrians?

Not yet, it's assumed to be either the Syrians or PKK related.

Here's the damage from one of the initial blasts

This video just caught the 2nd explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qakpdmR2P9s

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 11, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ef;b

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Not yet, it's assumed to be either the Syrians or PKK related.

Here's the damage from one of the initial blasts

This video just caught the 2nd explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qakpdmR2P9s

With the PKK pullback and Reyhani's status as a refugee hub I'd place my bet on it being something to do with the Syrians.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AJE is reporting it as being suspected Assad regime elements, but they've had a hard-on for hating Assad for a while:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/05/2013511121047931174.html

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jesus that's a hell of a bombing :(

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Is Assad really going to weather this?

I think he could - at least until his term is up next year, which is a point where he can legitimately retire without losing face and claim victory. (Of coure he likely won't do that and will try and fight on forever).

The only real prospect IMO for a quick opposition victory was if the army substantially collapsed or turned against the Assads. Obviously neither of those is now going to happen. The number of defections has probably bottomed out now too, anyone who really wanted to join the revolution will have done so. Of course you'll still get 'defections' from troops in besieged and doomed bases, but nothing strategically useful. Also notably those beseiged and doomed bases tend to fight to the bitter end.

What's more, in the past month or two the army has really managed to turn things around, at least halting the decline and managing to parry a number of opposition advances on core regime territory.

They've managed to at least partially open a route to the North: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/01/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE92013G20130301

At least temporarily break the siege on the large army bases in Idlib: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Wadi_Deif#cite_note-61

Take more of central Homs: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/03/world/meast/syria-violence

And with Hezbollah help, are advancing through rebel held countryside aroumnd Homs: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130511/syria-troops-hezbollah-advancing-qusayr
The town of Qusayr is looking pretty screwed. (I wonder how it must feel, to be in a besieged city where the enemy is closing in and relief seems impossible, and where you have good reason to believe that if the enemy does get in they'll carry out a massacre?)

They are also advancing south of Damascus. : http://www.dnaindia.com/world/1831886/report-bashar-al-assad-s-forces-capture-strategic-town-in-southern-syria
A lot of the Syrian army's recent tactics, particularly around Homs and Damascus, seems to be to cut off supply lines to opposition forces. It may be working, ITN reporter Tim Marshall in Damascus says it is quieter now than anytime for months.

With the political opposition riven with infighting and the actual fighters on the ground increasingly jihadist, I can't see any opposition victory soon, and certainly not one that is good for the Syrian people. I hope that this diplomatic push is able to go somewhere, but it looks like the opposition has already poo-poohed it. (I don't know if the Assad Government has officially responded.)

EDIT: Of course whilst the regime does seem to be regaining territory around the core cities of Homs and Damascus, it is still facing a pretty dire position in the north around Aleppo. There's still fighting ongoing at the Mengh airbase, and I can't imagine it won't fall soon.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 11, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Muffiner posted:

With the PKK pullback and Reyhani's status as a refugee hub I'd place my bet on it being something to do with the Syrians.

If it's actually connected to Syria...

I don't know if the Assad Regime would be THAT stupid.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You know, that's one hell of a casus belli. What would happen if Turkey decided to declare war on Syria, conqered it, and absorbed it? It might actually be good, insofar as stability is concerned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Taerkar posted:

An operation of this magnitude by any actor is stupid or desperate, you just know that not only Turkish authorities will be working on solving it.

Is there yet any assumption of intended targets? If the blasts happened near opposition offices then it's near certain that the attacks were done by Syrian government or related groups like Hezbollah.

Warcabbit posted:

You know, that's one hell of a casus belli. What would happen if Turkey decided to declare war on Syria, conqered it, and absorbed it? It might actually be good, insofar as stability is concerned.

:what:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That Russia/Soviet Union fakeout switch from the Simpsons except with Maximum Ottoman? :chord:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

An operation of this magnitude by any actor is stupid or desperate, you just know that not only Turkish authorities will be working on solving it.

Is there yet any assumption of intended targets? If the blasts happened near opposition offices then it's near certain that the attacks were done by Syrian government or related groups like Hezbollah.

Is there anything there that might justify Assad taking such an insane risk?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

It being a suspected car bomb makes me think it wasn't them. I don't think they've utilized them very often, if at all.

BM, you remember probably about a year ago now when that opposition figure was killed and a bomb went off at his funeral procession? Regime snipers opened up on the survivors. Wasn't that a car bomb?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

That Russia/Soviet Union fakeout switch from the Simpsons except with Maximum Ottoman? :chord:

Too bad about the development of Turkish nationalism I guess.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
I wouldn't completely rule out the PKK. It could be that some of them decided that they weren't fans of peace with Turkey and want to derail the pullback.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Turkey is saying it's Syrian intelligence wot done it

quote:

It was confirmed that the perpetrators were linked to the Syrian regime and intelligence agency, Güler was also quoted as saying by the public broadcaster TRT.

Atalay also confirmed that the attackers were linked to the Syrian intelligence organization, known as the Mukhabarat. He added that they were from inside Turkey. “The organization is known, who they are is also known to a great extent. It is abolutely certain that [the attack] has nothing to do with Syrian refugees,” Atalay said

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Either Turkish intelligence cracked the case really quick or they've just decided to pin this on the Assad regime regardless of who actually did it.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
I don't think Assad is so dumb to attack a NATO ally.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

New Division posted:

I wouldn't completely rule out the PKK. It could be that some of them decided that they weren't fans of peace with Turkey and want to derail the pullback.

As sad as it might be if this was the case I think it's more likely then the regime or one of it's proxies blowing poo poo up in Turkey. Besides the obvious negative consequences, what would be the upside for the Syrians for doing this?

edit: I need to refresh the thread before I post.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

New Division posted:

Either Turkish intelligence cracked the case really quick or they've just decided to pin this on the Assad regime regardless of who actually did it.

Regardless of who did it, in the short term I find this announcement a positive development. At least Syrian refugees in Turkey will be safe from reprisals for the time being.

cafel posted:

As sad as it might be if this was the case I think it's more likely then the regime or one of it's proxies blowing poo poo up in Turkey. Besides the obvious negative consequences, what would be the upside for the Syrians for doing this?

Depending on the target, possibly taking out the opposition leadership? Though given the method of attack (three bombs at different times) I doubt it. It seems more like Al Qaida MO than anyone else. But why would AQ target Reyhanli?

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
Maybe this operation was a long time in the making. For all we know, Assad regime agents could have pinpointed a base of ops for the FSA in Turkey and finally identified it and attacked. Makes sense with all the syrian casualties.
I highly doubt this was a regime-to-regime provocation from Assad.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Regardless of who did it, in the short term I find this announcement a positive development. At least Syrian refugees in Turkey will be safe from reprisals for the time being.

Remember that documentary about the bombing of al-Bara posted a couple of weeks ago? Where one of the Syrians shows the filmmaker his bloodstained car and talks about going into the Alawites' villages and killing one of them for every person killed in the bombings? Even though the perpetrators of the bombings were completely obvious (government jet pilots), he still vowed to take revenge on people a couple of villages over.

I certainly hope that Syrian refuges will be safe(-ish) now, but I don't see it happening. People aren't really rational in situations like this.

Nenonen posted:

Though given the method of attack (three bombs at different times) I doubt it.

It doesn't take away from your point, but just for completeness's sake: AJ are reporting that the third explosion was a fuel tank exploding, not a car bomb.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think it's more likely that it's a group with ties to the Assad Regime but isn't an actual part of it. Like say perhaps a group that exists in a country south of Turkey.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

DAS Super! posted:

I don't think Assad is so dumb to attack a NATO ally.
*again

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On NPR yesterday there were reports about there was a decline in the amount of arms being provided to the secular and moderate rebels. The report claimed it was intended to force those rebels to the negotiating table with Assad.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Turkish FM just announced the people responsible for the bombing have just been arrested, this should be interesting.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Warcabbit posted:

This is the least likely thing to ever happen in the entire middle east.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yes, it probably is. I was going for 'worst possible outcome' and realized that 'wait, actually that might not be so bad.' midway through. Turkey's going to respond somehow, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
So in the space of about a week, Syria's pissed off both Turkey and Israel?

• Locked thread