Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

Wow, this might go without saying for some of you... But if you buy a ~20 year old used game controller, cleaning just the outside is not enough. You should really open that thing up and clean everything. If you're a germs phone it might be a little :nms:.

Speaking of which, I bought a used copy of Dark Forces on PSX back when PSX games were still in production and found a booger in the comment card. What the gently caress :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But they all telegraph their moves in the original NES game :confused:.

It's official then-I suck. :( This is just from memory (haven't played for 7 years), but wasn't Mike Tyson a real bitch to beat and barely telegraphed? The Snes version is really easy in comparison.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Some people will tell you to play Teleroboxer.

They will tell you that it's the spiritual successor to Super Punch-Out.

Those people are lying to you.

It is a terrible, frustrating game.

I'll admit Teleroboxer is an incredibly difficult game, but it's excellent and you should give it a chance.

And it's not impossible. For reference, I never beat Punch Out on the NES (was too hard) but I've beaten Teleroboxer twice.

roffels posted:

So that $300 virtual reality helmet that currently only has developer units available, the Oculus Rift, has a Virtual Boy emulator.

While I can't justify buying a Virtual Boy, I can justify buying the Rift and emulating this!

Might be worth it since no one seems to have a friggin functional Virtual Boy any longer.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 12, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sony, too. It was kinda fun to twist the PSP 1000 as you hit the eject slider so that UMDs shot out of it like a loving shuriken launcher.

You don't know eject launches until you get into the sharp famicom consoles. The twin famicom will launch a game a couple inches into the air but the titler is hilarious in that I have to have a hand next to the cartridge because it can go almost a half foot when the eject button is pushed.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

If you're in Sydney Australia, word may have got to you about a new retro games store. I was excited to hear this until...I found out that it's the guy who had shops at Gladesville/Toongabbie.

His new store is in Top Ryde (it's on Level 1, Same level as the National Geographic shop, but the other side of the escalators). To be fair the store is actually really, really good. Everything is laid out really well in glass cabinets so you can see everything.
It is pretty much consoles + console games. If you're after Dreamcast, PS1, snes, master system- this may be good for you.

The bad thing is that the guy that runs it is a bit of a tool (if you google him and his business, you'll find why. I've posted about it before).

If you're planning on doing business, here's some advice:

1) Don't trade games in with him, sell them on ebay/gumtree/whatever instead. He apparently changes his mind on the prices a lot after you've agreed.
2) He used to have a policy of if the games wasn't in store, you had to put $50 down BEFORE you even got to see the item. This is the one that happened to me, because I was naive and stupid. Someone on here commented something like "wtf, is this guy Wirt from Diablo 1?"
3) Look at everything thoroughly eg manuals, disk scratches etc to check the quality) before handing over your cash.

I think if you're buying the stuff instore, you'll be fine. It's just the trading in and games he has in storage that is where he will screw you.

It's a shame, all I really want is a good retro games store in Aus dammit! :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the_lion posted:

If you're in Sydney Australia, word may have got to you about a new retro games store. I was excited to hear this until...I found out that it's the guy who had shops at Gladesville/Toongabbie.

His new store is in Top Ryde (it's on Level 1, Same level as the National Geographic shop, but the other side of the escalators). To be fair the store is actually really, really good. Everything is laid out really well in glass cabinets so you can see everything.
It is pretty much consoles + console games. If you're after Dreamcast, PS1, snes, master system- this may be good for you.

Sweet, I might give it a look sometime this week. Thanks for that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Weird Adventures in Retro Videogames!

I'm sure lots of us play Retro Games whilst listening to other music. But has anyone played a retro game whilst listening to the soundtrack to another game?

I'm currently playing SMW while listening to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack. This....works pretty well. Haha.

roboblart
Sep 10, 2012

Quidnose posted:

I'm sure lots of us play Retro Games whilst listening to other music. But has anyone played a retro game whilst listening to the soundtrack to another game?

I'm currently playing SMW while listening to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack. This....works pretty well. Haha.

I played Willy Wombat while listening to the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon soundtrack.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Playing other music than the actual game? You people are heathens. Koji Kondo probably cries himself to sleep knowing this. :D

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quidnose posted:

I installed the Katamari Damacy soundtrack to my Xbox so any game that supports a custom soundtrack plays it instead.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Random Stranger posted:

I installed the Katamari Damacy soundtrack to my Xbox so any game that supports a custom soundtrack plays it instead.

I think the opening sequence to Katamari Damacy being played during Left 4 Dead 2 would be simply mind blowing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

I copied the Best of Van Halen to my Xbox and forgot about it when I sent it off to be modded. I got it back, was browsing through the homebrew, booted up some motherfucking Slime Volleyball and was greated by the sweet sounds of Hot for Teacher. That was a good memory.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

This is precisely what the MSU-1 thing for the SD2SNES was made for.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Those of you who were wanting to play Pier Solar in its original Genesis glory, Watermelon is going to do another print run but they don't have sufficient demand to make the new carts yet. Get it here for $59 so they'll ship mine out already! http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/factory/pier-solar_1/

You can also pre-order the Dreamcast and PC editions of the game, although those are still in development until at least the end of the year I think.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I wanted to play some Mario Golf so I jumped on craigslist and ended up snagging these...

20 bucks. boxes aren't in great shape but the discs all look and play well enough so far. I've never been one to care all that much about Player's Choice banners.

Max Rebo and Diddy Kong are from personal collection and just there to spice up the photo. As we do.

edit: pic was giant. now it is hopefully fixed.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 12, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Out of, uh, simple curiosity....if I were to be interested in actually getting a PC Engine/TG16, and I were interested in this setup:

What do I need to know? How much should I expect to spend? Do I need any other wacky crap to get it working? Does the thing that attach both systems together come separately or something? Can I use RGB SCART with that setup? Should I use the US TG16 CD system with it instead?

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Out of, uh, simple curiosity....if I were to be interested in actually getting a PC Engine/TG16, and I were interested in this setup:

What do I need to know? How much should I expect to spend? Do I need any other wacky crap to get it working? Does the thing that attach both systems together come separately or something? Can I use RGB SCART with that setup? Should I use the US TG16 CD system with it instead?

Get the Super CDROM2 instead since it has system card 3 built in, and replacement laser lenses are available. It also looks better hooked up to a core grafx 2.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Also, the CDROM units tend to have a lot of yellowing since they're white.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Get the Super CDROM2 instead since it has system card 3 built in, and replacement laser lenses are available. It also looks better hooked up to a core grafx 2.

Holy crap the confusion :psyduck:

What's the difference between a PC Engine, a Core Grafix, and a Core Grafix 2??

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^^^ look at this http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html they are just different versions of the same console ^^^

If you have a setup like that then it is very important that you get an Arcade Card Pro. The Pro has extra hardware that isn't in the Arcade Card Duo (which is cheaper because the Duos have some of it).

Replacement lens on the CD drive is extremely important too. All CD-Rs will work!

The thing that attaches a Super CDROM and CoreGrafx is a separate part yes. So three parts in total.

You can use RGB SCART (I do) but you need to wire up the RGB lines. If you're gonna replace a lens and wire it up to put out RGB, you might as well install a region switch as well to let you play either TG16 or PC Engine games.

edit: What you should really do is get a SuperGrafx and the RAU-30. Then you will be able to play the 5 or 6 SuperGrafx-only games :mmmsmug:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 12, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ACID POLICE posted:

You can use RGB SCART (I do) but you need to wire up the RGB lines. If you're gonna replace a lens and wire it up to put out RGB, you might as well install a region switch as well to let you play either TG16 or PC Engine games.

Wiring one of those up for RGB also means building an amp, doesn't it? If I remember right, the internal signals are too weak to be usable directly on a TV.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ACID POLICE posted:

^^^ look at this http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html they are just different versions of the same console ^^^

If you have a setup like that then it is very important that you get an Arcade Card Pro. The Pro has extra hardware that isn't in the Arcade Card Duo (which is cheaper because the Duos have some of it).

Replacement lens on the CD drive is extremely important too. All CD-Rs will work!

The thing that attaches a Super CDROM and CoreGrafx is a separate part yes. So three parts in total.

edit: What you should really do is get a SuperGrafx and the RAU-30. Then you will be able to play the 5 or 6 SuperGrafx-only games :mmmsmug:

This is why people buy Duos.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It's why I bought a Duo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe NEC thought any of this was an acceptable business practice.

I'd like a Duo but it seems so drat expensive, plus it's so freakin' boring looking compared to every other iteration of this mess that I could be using.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

RadicalR posted:

Wait, what? Is this a thing? I never knew this. :negative:

Yes, it's written in the instruction booklet of the game itself. It's how you can get to the Duckhunt Kill Screen easily, other than shooting the gun through a magnifying glass.

Single duck mode with the blaster in the 1p port and an NES controller in the 2p port.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I can't believe NEC thought any of this was an acceptable business practice.

I'd like a Duo but it seems so drat expensive, plus it's so freakin' boring looking compared to every other iteration of this mess that I could be using.

The other option is to just go all out and Collect Them All.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

HKR posted:

The other option is to just go all out and Collect Them All.

Considering who you're replying to that's a very real and frightening possibility.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

JJJJJS posted:

Considering who you're replying to that's a very real and frightening possibility.

We're not a support group for quitters, we're enablers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's how you can get to the Duckhunt Kill Screen easily, other than shooting the gun through a magnifying glass.

What the gently caress

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

elf help book posted:

What the gently caress

Shoot the light gun through a magnifying glass and the blast will hit every point on the screen. It's like the trick to use an electric toothbrush on the power pad instead of pounding it in order to go faster.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

elf help book posted:

What the gently caress

Seriously.

Duck hunt seriously frustrated me, because I could point the thing an inch away from the screen, and it still wouldn't register at times.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

fatpat268 posted:

Seriously.

Duck hunt seriously frustrated me, because I could point the thing an inch away from the screen, and it still wouldn't register at times.

http://www.consoledatabase.com/cheats/nes/chiller/

Fun fact, Nintendo Power told readers about the magnifying glass and the toothbrush trick. They even believed that the difficulty levels on both games were complete bullshit.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Are there any magic products to repair the contacts of a nes game that have had the contacts mostly worn off?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

McFunkerson posted:

Are there any magic products to repair the contacts of a nes game that have had the contacts mostly worn off?

They should still connect unless you took a nail file to them and damaged them beyond all repair. Did you try taking a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and giving them a good scrubbing? That usualy fixes all connection problems.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Buy some metal/contact polish.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

Can you take a picture to show how bad the damage is?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

What on earth did I find? Soeey for the crappy cell phone pic, but its some sort of JP Saturn game by Capcom, mostly sealed except for some damage on the front of the jewel case. I grabed it but I don't know if its worth something or if I should just bust it open and play it. I didn't ever expect to find a sealed JP Saturn game in New Mexico of all places :psyduck:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Capcom Generations 3. Contains the following games:

Vulgus
SonSon
Pirate Ship Higemaru
Exed Exes

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Lost another SCD auction, raged hard and bought a model 1 with a drive that "doesn't eject" for 1/3 the cost of what the working ones go for. Here's hoping I can fix it. Already have a replacement belt coming so fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

HKR posted:

Can you take a picture to show how bad the damage is?

I guess I'm a newb. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol before making my post. I went to take a picture and decided to try the pencil eraser trick. What I thought were spots on the contacts that were worn through to the circuit board were actually just stubborn dirt tracks. I gave them a more thorough cleaning and can now play A Boy and His Blob without issue.

• Locked thread