Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Bitter_one13 posted:

The term is appropriate. There is no stealing in the military.

Wouldn't it be "commandeer?"

FoolyCharged posted:

I think this is a good time to remember that your ai allies can and will run you over if you run around on foot in your own freakin' base.

This happened often to me with Scavengers, and then I ejected from my vehicle once and there was invisible collision right above the tank so I ejected and exploded against it. Even if there were no physics the scuttling of the vehicle would have destroyed me as well :(

Actually, there is something I want to ask because I only ever guessed at the ejection command once and I never had that sweet manual, but what are the button presses you have to do to scuttle your vehicle? There were quite a bit of random commands in the game if I recall correctly and going over some would be pretty interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lunethex posted:

Wouldn't it be "commandeer?"

This happened often to me with Scavengers, and then I ejected from my vehicle once and there was invisible collision right above the tank so I ejected and exploded against it. Even if there were no physics the scuttling of the vehicle would have destroyed me as well :(

Actually, there is something I want to ask because I only ever guessed at the ejection command once and I never had that sweet manual, but what are the button presses you have to do to scuttle your vehicle? There were quite a bit of random commands in the game if I recall correctly and going over some would be pretty interesting!

Commandeer is the nautical variant.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

The term is appropriate. There is no stealing in the military.

There is only one thief in the military. Everyone else is just trying to get their poo poo back.

Lunethex posted:

Thanks to a sweet deal on a new scanner at Amazon, I bring you some very helpful information.

Ctrl-B will allow you to bail out of your vehicle and cause it to get scuttled. It's also helpful if you want to get the high ground fast.

Redysseus
Dec 13, 2011

Designing existence is hard.
Glad to see you'll be able to upload the manual after all. And I gotta say, I think I almost prefer your version of the unit descriptions.

On that note, I've heard the bombers are fun as hell with a joystick. It also helps that you get constant rotational torque when you're turning, as opposed to sliding your mouse across the pad 3 times just to turn around. Although I wouldn't recommend piloting any of the other vehicles with a joystick as vertical aiming and turning to face your target are quite cumbersome in comparison.

Just imagine waggling your joystick left and right trying to center your ship on your target, all the while looking like those dumb schmucks who pretend to play video games in movies.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh man, Battlezone! :allears: I had this game on the N64 and had a blast playing this game! Never beat it legit, though, I was a wimp and used a GameShark to give myself infinite health and ammo, so it'll be fun to see someone beat it proper.

Also the space dildo looks like a half-melted Dalek :v:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: Mission 6 is here! :siren:

Funny enough, this was one of the smoother missions once I was able to get hold of what to do. Still didn't stop me from managing to gently caress up near the end. We get to drive a new vehicle and try out some fancy new weapons.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well I wasn't expecting a musical interlude.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
You need to use more of those fancy weapons the armoury can fire out, some of them are really awesome. Some aren't, but the thread still should see them!

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Venus, yes this is where the game really starts to open up with equipment, I love the Rocket tank but it sucks so hard its not funny much better off in a light tank, As the Hornet is just as good in a light as it is in rocket tank. and lights live longer.

You really should make better use of your armory though, I tend to tell it to fire Armour and ammo ahead of me before I get into a fight so hopefully it lands in time to make good use of it.

And that last mars mission with the bombers, Totally the hardest mission in the game. Those 3 bombers can really ruin your day if your not lucky.

There's one mission I'm really looking forward to you playing, as the 1.5 patch makes it so much harder than it should be.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Looking at those missiles... drat they were useless. I would assume that if the military techies were given the task of "making a tank that shoots effing rockets" they would add radar targeting or something. Long ranged support vehicles. It would make a cool multiplayer mechanic to have front soldiers tag targets for the 5km away missile tanks. They did something like this in BF1942 (I think this was the first instance?) but it was never really used by anyone because of how online gaming is.

I never had Battlezone, but I saw it played at a point in a mall somewhere. It's strange this kind of games haven't been made after Renegade. The idea is solid and offers a lot of options for multiplayer.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Shyrka posted:

You need to use more of those fancy weapons the armoury can fire out, some of them are really awesome. Some aren't, but the thread still should see them!

Don't worry about that any. I plan on doing a bit of it in the next missions as this is when we really get the opportunity to start using all these hi-tech, plastic fantastic, poodle shooter guns.

Panboy posted:

Venus, yes this is where the game really starts to open up with equipment, I love the Rocket tank but it sucks so hard its not funny much better off in a light tank, As the Hornet is just as good in a light as it is in rocket tank. and lights live longer.

You really should make better use of your armory though, I tend to tell it to fire Armour and ammo ahead of me before I get into a fight so hopefully it lands in time to make good use of it.

And that last mars mission with the bombers, Totally the hardest mission in the game. Those 3 bombers can really ruin your day if your not lucky.

There's one mission I'm really looking forward to you playing, as the 1.5 patch makes it so much harder than it should be.

With just a weapon like the tag cannon, it is so much more useful to use a light tank. Changing out the main cannon to something else can make it even more viable as a main assault vehicle. I'm going to be trying to get episodes done closer together so I forget less about the game and get into more of a groove.

SirDifferential posted:

Looking at those missiles... drat they were useless. I would assume that if the military techies were given the task of "making a tank that shoots effing rockets" they would add radar targeting or something. Long ranged support vehicles. It would make a cool multiplayer mechanic to have front soldiers tag targets for the 5km away missile tanks. They did something like this in BF1942 (I think this was the first instance?) but it was never really used by anyone because of how online gaming is.

I never had Battlezone, but I saw it played at a point in a mall somewhere. It's strange this kind of games haven't been made after Renegade. The idea is solid and offers a lot of options for multiplayer.

The missiles are pretty useless but stuff like the hornet are pretty powerful. You only get a few though and even Soviet scouts can take as many as three to go down. They definitely have their place but it's not against fast moving vehicles that are difficult to track. Slower vehicles like enemy APCs or even main battle tanks are much better candidates to show off how effective they can be.

The closest games I can really think of to something like Battlezone are, as you mentioned, really just games like Battlefield 3 and BF2142 where you have vehicle based combat as well as infantry combat. Most of them emphasize a balanced combat perspective so you aren't completely worthless outside of a tank but they also don't take place on a different planet with different gravities, atmospheres, etc. I am excited to hear that a few upstarts are going to try and take on old gameplay ideas like those seen in Battlezone and make them viable options for single player campaigns and multiplayer.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I actually like the atmospheric thick atmosphere and lightning on Venus. It's one of the best-done alien worlds in gaming, and it's taken advantage of by the developers when they have Stuff suddenly loom at you out of the mist.

Oh yeah, that alarm. When it sounds, all the Soviet pilots come running out of their barracks. If you wait, you can cut them down as they come. The Thumper is good for this, as you wibble them all to death.

Oh, and the rocket tank is good against foes in the endgame. It was surprisingly popular in multiplayer - the Hornet compensated well for lag-induced position jerks, and had a hefty range. If the missiles hit harder it would be more use against Russian enemies.

EDIT: The Day Wrecker works better if you "airburst" it (target it on a patch of ground near the target) rather than drop it directly on a building. It works better when the terrain forms specific pockets, as it will on an upcoming planet and in various user-made maps.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 8, 2013

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

I actually like the atmospheric thick atmosphere and lightning on Venus. It's one of the best-done alien worlds in gaming, and it's taken advantage of by the developers when they have Stuff suddenly loom at you out of the mist.

Oh yeah, that alarm. When it sounds, all the Soviet pilots come running out of their barracks. If you wait, you can cut them down as they come. The Thumper is good for this, as you wibble them all to death.

Oh, and the rocket tank is good against foes in the endgame. It was surprisingly popular in multiplayer - the Hornet compensated well for lag-induced position jerks, and had a hefty range. If the missiles hit harder it would be more use against Russian enemies.

EDIT: The Day Wrecker works better if you "airburst" it (target it on a patch of ground near the target) rather than drop it directly on a building. It works better when the terrain forms specific pockets, as it will on an upcoming planet and in various user-made maps.

Oh I love the atmosphere, actually. It's pretty awesome to look at. Just not terribly fun to get blindsided by enemies that can out maneuver you while you drive a vehicle not intended to combat them.

I will see about doing a bonus video where I run through some of the weapons that we are now getting access to just to show them off and maybe even a Day Wrecker because at this moment, I'm regarding it more as a Day Mild Inconveniencer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love how being able to hijack an enemy vehicle can turn some strategic things completely around. How high a priority does the enemy put on your commander as opposed to other units? If you're in the middle of an offensive and get popped out, can you take out the pilot of some largely undamaged enemy thing on the back ranks and keep on going, or are they going to shoot you down before you land?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Glazius posted:

I love how being able to hijack an enemy vehicle can turn some strategic things completely around. How high a priority does the enemy put on your commander as opposed to other units?

In this game, and even moreso in the sequel, I used to drive a "signature" vehicle at the start of a match and then switch to a generic tank partway through. Human opponents would go haring off after my command vehicle in the middle of a battle, to their eventual regret.

You had to be careful when using some of the commands so as not to reveal your location (something in particular we haven't seen yet), but it was a very effective bluffing tactic.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
IIRC the AI has on-foot pilots (player included) as fairly low priority, so if you have friendlies around yes, you have fair chances to grab some wheels from an ally, or try and snipe an enemy and go for that.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Nephilm posted:

IIRC the AI has on-foot pilots (player included) as fairly low priority, so if you have friendlies around yes, you have fair chances to grab some wheels from an ally, or try and snipe an enemy and go for that.

I can verify this. While doing some test runs for the next mission, my vehicle was destroyed and I was launched into the atmosphere. When the enemy had finished with my comrades, they turned their weapons on my defenseless self.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
They're also fairly "blind" as to wherever you are while on foot, unless you get too close or shoot them, in which case they'll hunt you down like hounds.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Oh thank goodness I found this LP while it was still active. I just found my old physical copy (and then promptly downloaded the online version) and have been playing nonstop! It's every bit as crazy hard as I remembered, though. I've been playing on EASY and getting my rear end handed to me left and right, and I'm currently in a close-to-the-end mission (NSDF Campaign) where I have yet to survive for over three minutes.

I have found many workarounds in the game where I build just a few defensive units and then go out a-sniping. You can always hop back in your tank to replenish ammo, but if you leave empty enemy tanks just sitting around (away from barracks, of course), they won't be able to build more. This works doubly well if you can take out the pilots of their scavengers at the beginning of some levels (when their base is nearby).

Do you ever use the map? I find toggling to the map helps out at times when you really don't know what to do--especially at the beginning of levels, because you can get a better idea of where geyser hotspots are for your initial base setup.

Also, a quick tip for footsoldiering--if you hold the jump button as you move, you accelerate to ridiculous speeds--I'm talking running as fast as the scouts. It's great for those time your tank gets...well...tanked and you're nowhere near a base.

I love love love this game and eagerly await the rest of the LP!

Question: Will you do the Red Oddysey expansion?

gregory fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 10, 2013

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

gregory posted:

Oh thank goodness I found this LP while it was still active. I just found my old physical copy (and then promptly downloaded the online version) and have been playing nonstop! It's every bit as crazy hard as I remembered, though. I've been playing on EASY and getting my rear end handed to me left and right, and I'm currently in a close-to-the-end mission (NSDF Campaign) where I have yet to survive for over three minutes.

I have found many workarounds in the game where I build just a few defensive units and then go out a-sniping. You can always hop back in your tank to replenish ammo, but if you leave empty enemy tanks just sitting around (away from barracks, of course), they won't be able to build more. This works doubly well if you can take out the pilots of their scavengers at the beginning of some levels (when their base is nearby).

Do you ever use the map? I find toggling to the map helps out at times when you really don't know what to do--especially at the beginning of levels, because you can get a better idea of where geyser hotspots are for your initial base setup.

Also, a quick tip for footsoldiering--if you hold the jump button as you move, you accelerate to ridiculous speeds--I'm talking running as fast as the scouts. It's great for those time your tank gets...well...tanked and you're nowhere near a base.

I love love love this game and eagerly await the rest of the LP!

Question: Will you do the Red Oddysey expansion?

There really are a lot of ways to handle missions. Some better than others as I have found. I'm glad to hear that you decided to get your nostalgia flowing and reinstall the game. If anything comes from this LP, it's that I want people to snag the game and experience it for themselves as my gameplay and commentary don't do it justice.

It's funny you should mention the map since I really don't use it at all. I am planning on getting to the next mission hopefully before the weekend so maybe I will show it off in that video.

I will definitely attempt to get to the Red Odyssey as well, provided I can actually get back on schedule with things. This summer hasn't left me with much free time to sit down and record everything.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Kitty Burger posted:

There really are a lot of ways to handle missions. Some better than others as I have found.

I have to say I'm so glad for that. Seeing how your strategies work kinda taught me the "right" way to base-build, which is essential when you start fighting a certain type of enemy because Furies don't have pilots, so sniping doesn't work on them.

Also, I'd really reocmmend using the constructor a lot more when you get to the later missions. If you build hangars and supply depots, you can tell damaged and low-ammo buddies to get repair and they'll go to those and replenish. Building a silo also lets you pack up the recycler and deploy both the factory and the armory in spots with only two geysers (which is usually what they give you).

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Whew, it's been a while. However, the gods were kind to me and I finally managed to find time to sit down and record mission 7 for the NSDF. I'm working on the editing now and should hopefully have the voice work done and whatnot for a weekend upload. At this moment, the gameplay footage for this mission is about half an hour. I will try and cut that down as watching me waiting around is not all the entertaining, especially when I don't have squat to say. This begs the question as to whether or not people have liked how I've been handling speeding up footage in the past few videos. If it comes off as annoying, let me know and I will see what I can do to change it up.

gregory posted:

Also, I'd really reocmmend using the constructor a lot more when you get to the later missions. If you build hangars and supply depots, you can tell damaged and low-ammo buddies to get repair and they'll go to those and replenish. Building a silo also lets you pack up the recycler and deploy both the factory and the armory in spots with only two geysers (which is usually what they give you).

I do believe you will rather like how this episode plays out.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Awesome, glad you're back.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
We should have a multiplayer game of Battlezone keep the thread going with some dynamic content!

And glad to hear your still in the game.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm up for that. Say when!

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Yeah, I was actually planning to do a multiplayer video relatively soon showing off the different game modes. Bitter_one13 and I had tentative plans to do so eventually. Sadly, I'm usually not available when everyone else is as the times I am available for recording is during the week and during working hours. I'm CST here so that might play to our advantage if some folks were down for some multiplayer action.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Well, it's about damned time! Have an update, sports fans.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I like how your American accented grizzly pilot changed to Russian when he entered that disposable scout.

Also good to have you back Mr. Burger

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
"It totally had nothing to do with me playing this mission about eight times..."

Yeah, sounds about right. Those walkers can really tear you apart. Plus, as you show, they have a LOT of armor (which means they eat your armor).

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Yikes I'd forgotten this mission. I wasn't nearly as prepared for the walker rush as you were, and I was thoroughly screwed. This was one of the missions that made me take out my GameShark and cheat to get through it.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Well those walkers surely had an impressive turn rate / turn radius :stare:

Do I remember incorrectly or are there planes in the game? I seem to remember seeing something about bombers.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SirDifferential posted:

Do I remember incorrectly or are there planes in the game? I seem to remember seeing something about bombers.

No flying (more so than hovering) vehicles as I recall, but it's been ages. There is a class of vehicle named a bomber though, I don't quite recall what it's best suited to fight. I think it was intended to make heavy missile strikes on structures and static defences?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Teledahn posted:

No flying (more so than hovering) vehicles as I recall, but it's been ages. There is a class of vehicle named a bomber though, I don't quite recall what it's best suited to fight. I think it was intended to make heavy missile strikes on structures and static defences?

Pretty much. Their rate of turn was remarkably poor, IIRC poorer than the walkers.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Neurion posted:

Pretty much. Their rate of turn was remarkably poor, IIRC poorer than the walkers.
Yeah: they can carry some heavy weaponry and more ammo than most other units but are also sluggish and not that heavily armored as can be seen in video prior to the last, where our host had to drive one (for less than 2 minutes :mmmhmm:). They are less expensive than walkers and pretty fast however, so they can be handy when doing some quick strikes against the enemy base.
As for flying units I do remember that there are a couple in the sequel, although they don't really fly but rather hover very high; I don't remember if there are any in this though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wasn't the thumper a really good/fun way of dealing with walkers?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Can you pilot the walkers?

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

cokerpilot posted:

Can you pilot the walkers?

Not sure if spoiler, so: Yes, there is an American walker (the Sasquatch, I believe it's called). Bigger spoiler: I think it's the next mission coming up where the plot says "Oh, you've recovered walker technology so now you need to make some."

Also, can anyone confirm: I don't think you can use sniper rifles against walker units, because the red dots never appear on them. This might be a problem with my game, though, because occasionally I can't use the sniper rifle against turrets either (but only sometimes. I can NEVER use it on walkers).

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

gregory posted:

Not sure if spoiler, so: Yes, there is an American walker (the Sasquatch, I believe it's called). Bigger spoiler: I think it's the next mission coming up where the plot says "Oh, you've recovered walker technology so now you need to make some."

Also, can anyone confirm: I don't think you can use sniper rifles against walker units, because the red dots never appear on them. This might be a problem with my game, though, because occasionally I can't use the sniper rifle against turrets either (but only sometimes. I can NEVER use it on walkers).

I remember when I originally played through the game back in the late 90s that you could snipe the walkers. I can also say that everything in that spoiler tag is correct. This one might take a while as I spent about four hours today doing practice runs of the mission. I was not able to succeed once. A lot of things have to come together to make the play successful so I am looking into alternate tactics to complete the mission.

FoolyCharged posted:

Wasn't the thumper a really good/fun way of dealing with walkers?

Yup! Might have to remember to use it next time I see them again.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Kitty Burger posted:

This one might take a while as I spent about four hours today doing practice runs of the mission. I was not able to succeed once. A lot of things have to come together to make the play successful so I am looking into alternate tactics to complete the mission.

I had to really try to get this one right as well. If I remember correctly, this was my strategy:

NOTE: The following spoiler reveals almost all of the details about the next mission, don't read it if you want it to be a surprise.

At the beginning, have the armory deploy at the starting geyser and go right for the enemy howitzers.
I had the constructor build an L-power, a gun tower, and a hangar before I left (because the scavengers and the constructor are damaged).
It's probably a good idea to tell your scavengers to follow the unit factory (lest the howitzers kill them).
If you go through the canyon and attack from behind, you can get atop the hills. From there you should be able to make easy work of the six big guns (you may need an ammo pack from your armory). The first enemy patrol is just two fighters, so no big deal.
Once you do that, you can actually just listen to your instructions--set the factory at the geyser on the navpoint, only use your pilots to build walkers, and destroy everything that's red (I usually jump into one myself as well).
Now have the constructor build a silo. The little enemy patrols are pretty much just chump change, and if you take out the enemy base (not too difficult with walkers), you just have to wait for the convoy.
Have your armory litter the area with repair & ammo packs (or build a supply and a hangar), and you shouldn't have a problem when the convoy arrives. (EDIT: also gun towers, but I don't think I have to tell you) After the inital phase, it really seems to be just firepower, and with six (I think) walkers, you definitely have firepower. (To get through the first phase, spamming ammo & repair is a nice reason to have an armory.

gregory fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm just wondering how our renown LPer will manage to survive the soviet missions.

Are you ready to fight, Comrade?

• Locked thread