Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
On the plus, the remixes off this album are going to be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just curious, what was the general initial response to HAA? Did it start this positive and then cool off? Or was everyone pretty cool to it on first listen?

I kind of got in after Alive 2007 happened, but from what I can tell, the common opinion on Human After All went from "this is too repetitive" to "yeah, I guess that makes sense" after Alive happened. I still personally enjoy the album, but I don't think there was ever a rabid fanbase for HAA.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Yeah, I think good pieces can be recovered from this landfill

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

zer0spunk posted:

Just imagine a new tour in the style of Alive. :fap:

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I literally want to have sex with this album.

This need to be listen to on the couch with a big glass of Scotch.

Well, that's what I'll do tonight (sex and couch).

This could dethrone Discovery in my opinion.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just wish the whole album was in the same vein as contact. That's all I wanted.

That said, the panda bear collab track is kinda rad.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Slate Action posted:

If I remember correctly, initial impressions were so negative that some people thought Daft Punk had leaked a fake, deliberately lovely album to mess with everyone. It took until Alive 2007 for people to really warm up to Human After All.

Haha, wow. I knew opinion of it was pretty low until Alive 07, but I wasn't sure whether people tried to convince themselves they liked it at first. I guess not.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I can't add anything constructive to this thread other than agreeing with "holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this album." Contact is goddamn amazing (I made the mistake and played it first as well.)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm currently imagining Contact and Aerodynamic mashed together live :flashfap:

I want ten remix albums of this material.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I get the feeling this is going to piss off people who wanted a big fat dance album at least as much as Tron Legacy did.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Oh god, take me Daft Punk, take me now.
Three tracks in and I can't stop grinning and might cry soon, my emotions

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Slate Action posted:

If I remember correctly, initial impressions were so negative that some people thought Daft Punk had leaked a fake, deliberately lovely album to mess with everyone. It took until Alive 2007 for people to really warm up to Human After All.

People thought the same thing after Tool's 10,000 Days leaked as well. Those were both pretty hilarious to watch.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sethsez posted:

I get the feeling this is going to piss off people who wanted a big fat dance album at least as much as Tron Legacy did.

I'm a little bit on the fence about the album at the moment, but I just the fact that it's something different.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
This is a tasteless adult contemporary prog-disco disaster of an album with sparkling Disney production values. It sounds like early 90s Genesis.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

sethsez posted:

Just saw this on my twitter:

I mean if you like Disco music or the bee gees then you will love this new daft punk album. But if you like daft punk you won't like it

:stonk: What the hell??

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think this is just how they roll. HAA is more like homework, this is more like discovery. Maybe the next one will be more of a throw back to the repetitive electro stuff.

I've figured you out daft punk.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My first "get the gently caress outta here" moment of this album is Pharrell saying "Lose yourself to dance" over and over and over again in his forced falsetto. The underlying track is primo, but c'mon Pharrell.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Do we know who played drums on this?

E: Wikipedia says JR Robinson of Off the Wall fame at least did the first track

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 13, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't understand anyone who doesn't like this. I guess opinions but this is so drat funky and disco it owns so much.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Colonel Whitey posted:

Do we know who played drums on this?
Probably a few different session drummers. They all deserve medals.

And again:

Sent from my iPad posted:

No matter how good it is as a stand-alone album, RAM is going to have some absolutely incredible remixes.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is a good record, but a terrible dance record.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Popcorn posted:

This is a tasteless adult contemporary prog-disco disaster of an album with sparkling Disney production values. It sounds like early 90s Genesis.

I second this, but I totally love it hahaha. They're french, there's always gonna be some corn. What are you gonna do?

mynameisjohn posted:

this is a good record, but a terrible dance record.

Yep. There are gonna be a few that make it to the floor but the real feat is that it's an actual good album.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
The last two songs really make the album for me! Although, the album had me guessing the whole time. I'll have to see how I feel about it in a few weeks after some more listens.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I think it's mostly boring and cheesy, but if nothing else I'm impressed at how different it is. It makes me wonder why their first three albums were comparatively so similar-sounding.

e: there's a lot of Glados autotune on this album. Not Daft Punk robot voices, but Glados robot voices.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 13, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mynameisjohn posted:

this is a good dance record, but a terrible house record.

That's what you meant to say.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the panda bear song is easily easily easily the best track imo

Cameron posted:

That's what you meant to say.

no its not. i didn't find myself passively dancing or tapping my foot to a single one of these songs. they don't make you want to move. they are like 4am mood music material.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The Grooveshark playlist is in reverse, watch out.

I'm one track in (I listened to Contact and half of Doin' It Right before I realized the playlist was in reverse). So far, I'm in love. It's everything I wanted and more.

As for HAA, I personally hated it when it came out. Even now, there are only a few tracks I can bear (mostly thanks to Alive 2007, as others said).

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

the panda bear song is easily easily easily the best track imo

no its not. i didn't find myself passively dancing or tapping my foot to a single one of these songs. they don't make you want to move. they are like 4am mood music material.

I don't know, I can't dance at all, and I'm groovin all around with the album and I'm about 5 songs in. Maybe your funk meter is down because Instant Crush has some great stuff in it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The Grooveshark playlist is in reverse, watch out.

That's probably the better way to listen to it honestly. I guess they are going for a buildup instead? Who knows. I would have thrown the best track up front though.

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Just saw this on my twitter:

I mean if you like Disco music or the bee gees then you will love this new daft punk album. But if you like daft punk you won't like it

:stonk: What the hell??

random twitter person nails it in one. Incredibly disappointing album

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.
Well, this is a hell of an album so far.

gently caress the haters. :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the breakbot album is a 10x better dance record

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I just think that it is weird that people are upset it isn't a dance album. The duo themselves said this was going to be something new, I confuses me that people are saying the album isn't good because of that.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

^^Not everyone follows every piece of Daft Punk news and many are probably coming into this blind^^

Album has Phillip-Glass-Esque sounding material, straight up jazz, aboriginal sounding stuff, fantasia-esque soundscapes, classical strings, funk guitar, a myriad of drumming styles, Georgio Moroder. This album contains pretty much every style of music of the past 100 years in it for god's sake.

This album will piss so many people off.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Not bad. Definitely some skippable tracks, but I like most of it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Gonna have some space opera dreams tonight fueled by Contact :stare:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 13, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You guys must suck at dancing then because wow this album is groovy. :colbert:

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
I guess my biggest problem with the album is that I really can't get over the cheesiness of it. That said, the Panda Bear track is pretty great.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

judenhauer posted:

random twitter person nails it in one. Incredibly disappointing album

This disco album is house music at all??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
it's funny that you're impressed by them "doing something different" when all the tracks are limp approximations of the worst that 70s disco and the cheesiest, most unimaginative adult contemporary has to offer. they've hired in a bunch of old people to secure an alibi for making the most generic, bloodless album ever. if you're seriously impressed by the drumming or any of the other instrumental work for that matter, you've been exposing yourself to seriously subpar music for your entire life.

• Locked thread