Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

If the wiring is different, it could mean a whole new under-dash and pulling the entire dash to install it.

Almost certainly this. Almost certainly a new BCM or TCU or ECU (depending on how the car is set out). And remember that warranty/campaign hours are hilariously low compared to what it actually takes.

Aurune posted:

Not apologizing for them but this actually seems like a reasonable mistake. The John Cooper Works cars used to only come in manual. However, you can order the JCW steering wheel on a regular "S" car with a auto-box. So, I would not be shocked if someone on the line saw "JCW Wheel" and just failed to pull the extra parts because "JCWs only come in manual". The dash and everything gets assembled separate from the body and long before the engine/transmission is mated. So, until late in the process it's unlikely anyone would notice. This doesn't excuse the final quality check guy missing the fact auto car didn't have shifters. It's kind of hard to miss given they're right where your fingers rest on the back of the wheel.

It won't be like this because that isn't really how it works; cars haven't been assembled that way for about thirty years. It'll be further up the chain where someone didn't tick the paddleshift option box for those vehicles and the factory just went ahead and did what they were told to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slavvy posted:

It won't be like this because that isn't really how it works; cars haven't been assembled that way for about thirty years. It'll be further up the chain where someone didn't tick the paddleshift option box for those vehicles and the factory just went ahead and did what they were told to do.

Yup, the person building the dash has a rack of parts and a build sequence, it'll be a nonsense strong of numbers and letters that signify what they pick off the rack and fit. What appears on their racks matches what they're told to build, which is ordered a lot earlier and sequenced in. No one is stood there with a vehicle spec assembling a car, but lots of people are building their little bit with regards what letters appear in front of them. Someone cocked up and it wasn't the factory worker.
In fact, if they got to the end of their shift and had a box of leftover paddle shifters there would be an immediate investigation. Those cars would be corrected before they reached the door.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

Awesome roll cage, bro:

No no, that's not a roll cage...the guy owns a bunch of vintage Triumphs and that's where the oil is stored.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

No no, that's not a roll cage...the guy owns a bunch of vintage Triumphs and that's where the oil is stored.

Oh, it's like a Buell. Smart.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I don't think this should have happened.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If the conical washer gets left out, it's actually pretty likely.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

If the conical washer gets left out, it's actually pretty likely.

Well, I'm going to need new stuff for my STi.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I can help with that. Send me a PM or email (peter at functionauto)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I took that letter as a good thing. Yes, it's a pretty sad failure to send a car out missing a fairly significant component, but I'd say the letter shows that at least someone cares a bit more than "Oh, another fuckup? Send out form letter #8327C." Or, you know, having the dealership itself be the only mouthpiece for the company (which, if I remember correctly, was a lot of Das Volk's problem with his accursed C6).

Pretty much this. The dealership I worked with before the lemon law process was actually really nice about everything, but they could only do so much. The only written correspondence I ever received from GM was the refund check, otherwise I was talking to someone in a call center who couldn't do anything. It would have made me feel a lot better if GM responded to the situation with some humility, but they were such dicks about the situation I didn't want another one of their cars. Even now I'd love to get a C7 but I just don't want to risk having to go through that again.

vvv those were the days :allears:

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 12, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

Pretty much this. The dealership I worked with before the lemon law process was actually really nice about everything, but they could only do so much. The only written correspondence I ever received from GM was the refund check, otherwise I was talking to someone in a call center who couldn't do anything. It would have made me feel a lot better if GM responded to the situation with some humility, but they were such dicks about the situation I didn't want another one of their cars. Even now I'd love to get a C7 but I just don't want to risk having to go through that again.

If it means a repeat of your thread it's worth it.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I can help with that. Send me a PM or email (peter at functionauto)

I sent you a PM.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

These are the people who drive Nissan GTRs. This is terrible because I know there are good posters on this forum who drive them but it's kind of hard to take anyone who drives a GTR seriously after reading that poo poo.

:(

Am I the only one with an R35 on here?

I've definitely noticed there are two types of GTR owners since buying one: die hard car nuts and guys that just want to own the fastest car on the road for less than $500k. There's not a lot of in between.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Blow Dog had one of the first ones but he doesn't post here anymore, probably thanks to people trying to get up in his business too much. I think he moved on to a GT3 after a while?

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Almost certainly this. Almost certainly a new BCM or TCU or ECU (depending on how the car is set out). And remember that warranty/campaign hours are hilariously low compared to what it actually takes.

Is it really common on other lines for warranty work to be paid lower than the time it actually takes? It's been a half a decade or so since I worked there but at the Subaru dealership I worked at it was very odd for the techs to not be able to make at least a small amount of time on warranty work. Yeah nothing like they could on non-warranty but they certainly weren't getting screwed on time. Though maybe it was just our two line techs that were awesome, during an audit the one had a few jobs that required transmission removal denied because he hadn't clocked enough hours on the job. He had to get the guy from Subaru to come in one time when he was doing a similar job and show him that he could do it that fast correctly.

I think the worst thing I saw while working there was this little old lady that had left her parking brake on while driving 25 miles down a 60mph highway, only noticed something was wrong when she tried to slow down for the offramp. Thankfully it was a long offramp leading to a sparsely used side road so she was able to coast it to a stop. Had to completely replace the rear brake discs (disc in drum parking brake), and most of the hardware inside the drums.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

jkr266s posted:

Is it really common on other lines for warranty work to be paid lower than the time it actually takes?

Yes extremely common. I can really only speak for powersports companies - Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, BRP(Can-am) But flag hours on warranty work is almost always laughably low. It's not uncommon for the actual time to repair to be 2-3X more than what they list/pay. When I asked BRP why they only pay 45min to change both front ball joints on a can-am spyder they told me that is the time their mechanic can do one start to finish using only hand tools, I call bullshit. The job takes easily twice that, even after doing 6-8 of them to get warmed up.

Then occasionally you will find one that has a sane time allotted but they are few and far between. I don't know many dealership mechanics that won't go into a tirade as soon as warranty flag hours are brought up.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Poing posted:

Blow Dog had one of the first ones but he doesn't post here anymore, probably thanks to people trying to get up in his business too much. I think he moved on to a GT3 after a while?

He had a R34 GT-R, I dont know if i remember him having a R35, he got the GT3RS after he sold the R34 though I remember that much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

obso posted:

Yes extremely common. I can really only speak for powersports companies - Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, BRP(Can-am) But flag hours on warranty work is almost always laughably low. It's not uncommon for the actual time to repair to be 2-3X more than what they list/pay. When I asked BRP why they only pay 45min to change both front ball joints on a can-am spyder they told me that is the time their mechanic can do one start to finish using only hand tools, I call bullshit. The job takes easily twice that, even after doing 6-8 of them to get warmed up.

Then occasionally you will find one that has a sane time allotted but they are few and far between. I don't know many dealership mechanics that won't go into a tirade as soon as warranty flag hours are brought up.

When Toyota did it's V8 landcruiser buy-back here, the flag hours for taking the engine out, completely stripping and inspecting, fitting new pistons+rings+gaskets etc, putting the engine back in (keep in mind it's a twin-turbo common rail diesel) was 20 hours. I think after doing five the guy managed to get it down to about 35.

The one time you make a profit on warranty work is when you find some kind of awesome shortcut; NHW20 prius hybrid inverter waterpump was possible in about twelve minutes if you didn't follow the instructions, which involved unbolting half the bumper and taking out the headlight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

He had a R34 GT-R, I dont know if i remember him having a R35, he got the GT3RS after he sold the R34 though I remember that much.

I think a friend of his had the GT-R while he had the GT3RS. I think he got a Focus RS after that, but didn't like that it was FWD. After that, I don't know, probably another Porsche.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Comrade Flynn posted:

:(

Am I the only one with an R35 on here?

I've definitely noticed there are two types of GTR owners since buying one: die hard car nuts and guys that just want to own the fastest car on the road for less than $500k. There's not a lot of in between.

A guy at my work has an R35, and he's pretty chill. Chatted with him for a while and he said he just fell in love with it when it first came out, he's not a street racer or even an auto X guy. Dude's like a 45 year old scientist and just wanted a sweet rear end car that sounds nice and goes fast. He also drives it 365 days a year in Chicago weather.

Stereotyping drivers by their cars is pretty dumb since there's such crazy variability. The only time you can really do it is with balls-out bizarre poo poo like Nobles or rare special editions like early SHOs. You have to be a car guy to search out and find those.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Hellaflush

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Jesus christ why would you use that jack to try and lift that. :gonk:

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

jammyozzy posted:

Jesus christ why would you use that jack to try and lift that. :gonk:

IIRC it's the standard jack included with the spare.

Which admittedly doesn't make it any less moronic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Scissor jacks are pretty drat stout, you just have to make sure that the parking brake is engaged and the wheels chocked, just like with any other jack. I prefer hydraulic floor jacks as well, but they don't exactly store well and a scissor jack is a good compromise. I think this is more user error (like most of the things in here, admittedly).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Scissor jacks are pretty drat stout, you just have to make sure that the parking brake is engaged and the wheels chocked, just like with any other jack.

I don't think the parking brake will do much on this truck once a wheel is off the ground unless you engage the center differential lock (which is probably in the manual). The parking brakes on these are/used to be on the rear output shaft of the transfer case.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I don't think the parking brake will do much on this truck once a wheel is off the ground unless you engage the center differential lock (which is probably in the manual). The parking brakes on these are/used to be on the rear output shaft of the transfer case.
L322 handbrakes are a drum brake setup on the inside of the rear discs.

Why don't they have a setting where you can put the suspension on the lowest height for the punctured wheel and the one diagonally opposite, and the highest on the other two? Then all the jacking needs to do is pivot the car on the two extended wheels as opposed to lifting it proper.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Because that's a great idea, that's why.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Given the fact that it's a LR I'm pretty sure the controller for that would manage to go haywire, leaving people driving around while their car randomly selected wheels to put into jacking mode.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Built-in lowrider show hydraulics? I don't see the problem. :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Motronic posted:

I also said chocks :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

Built-in lowrider show hydraulics? I don't see the problem. :colbert:
I can see it now: "Terrain Response now includes an additional setting, Stay Up, Playa, which should be selected when traversing areas such as South Central"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beach Bum posted:

I also said chocks :colbert:

And how often does someone who only has the car's included jack have chocks?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Nissans used to come with chocks alongside the jacks. I don't know when they stopped.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wolrah posted:

What I don't understand is why people don't remember the old trick of shoving the spare under the car as soon as it's high enough to fit, taking the fitted wheel off, sliding that under the car, and then pulling the spare back out and fitting it. If the vehicle drops at any point, you've got a wheel under there for it to land on first, way less chance of getting a body part crushed, and you may even be able to get it jacked back up again from that position.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nissans used to come with chocks alongside the jacks. I don't know when they stopped.

I don't carry chocks, but I should and could - the compartment with the fuel funnel and jack and stuff has space.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Is there a jack that can fit where a suicide jack goes but serves to lift a vehicle rather than just serving as a way of causing a random topple or slide?
The trouble is in many cases they are the only sort of jack that is tall enough to jack some vehicles.

I've experimented with those drat jacks, even on totally flat concrete more than once and I have never managed to get a vehicle off the ground without a mishap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Is there a jack that can fit where a suicide jack goes but serves to lift a vehicle rather than just serving as a way of causing a random topple or slide?
The trouble is in many cases they are the only sort of jack that is tall enough to jack some vehicles.

I've experimented with those drat jacks, even on totally flat concrete more than once and I have never managed to get a vehicle off the ground without a mishap.

They're called bottle jacks, they look exactly like the business end of a hydraulic press but upside down, with a flat steel plate for a base. Isuzu Bighorns have them as a standard jack.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

They're called bottle jacks, they look exactly like the business end of a hydraulic press but upside down

Why I love this forum.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

Why don't they have a setting where you can put the suspension on the lowest height for the punctured wheel and the one diagonally opposite, and the highest on the other two? Then all the jacking needs to do is pivot the car on the two extended wheels as opposed to lifting it proper.

I think most air suspension requires you to disable it when jacking the car up so that it doesn't think the car is driving on 3 wheels and pump itself to death.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2230724-How-to-change-a-flat-tire-on-a-Phaeton

It's sort of like your idea except instead of being helpful it's more of a high-stakes test of your loyalty to the glories of air suspension and ability to follow the user manual instructions to the exact word. Mercedes SLs I think had an additional test where you must also put the ESP into jacking mode because otherwise the car thinks it's going to roll over and will detonate the explosives that deploy the rollbar. IN the same vein of the Mercedes automatic brakes that will cut your fingers off if you tried to change the pads without using the OEM scantool to put the computer into brake pad change mode first.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

wolrah posted:

I have a set of collapsible chocks I keep in my DSM next to the factory scissor jack. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I think most air suspension requires you to disable it when jacking the car up so that it doesn't think the car is driving on 3 wheels and pump itself to death.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2230724-How-to-change-a-flat-tire-on-a-Phaeton

It's sort of like your idea except instead of being helpful it's more of a high-stakes test of your loyalty to the glories of air suspension and ability to follow the user manual instructions to the exact word. Mercedes SLs I think had an additional test where you must also put the ESP into jacking mode because otherwise the car thinks it's going to roll over and will detonate the explosives that deploy the rollbar. IN the same vein of the Mercedes automatic brakes that will cut your fingers off if you tried to change the pads without using the OEM scantool to put the computer into brake pad change mode first.

:stare: Explosively deployed rollbar? Bloodthirsty calipers?

hosed if I'm ever getting near a Mercedes made these days.

Also, on chocks; who doesn't have a couple of 2x4 blocks rattling around their trunk under the spare?