Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Now that it's getting warmer and the growing season has started I am doing a lot of yard work, doing some weeding and clearing out plants I don't want anymore. My favorite search term has become "can chickens eat..." Turns out they like hostas and Japanese knotweed. I also have tons of Queen Anne's lace and it turns out they like that too. It is reducing my feed costs, but assuming they have access to their regular layer feed and water, do I have to worry about them eating too much of these greens and becoming crop bound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So the sun went down and they all started making all kinds of racket. I put them in their coop and they got even more upset. Poor stupid things.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Day two with the new coop, and some of the henhoes aren't too happy about it. TurkeyMomo kept coming at me in the evening and she'd peck at my leg because I dared lock the old coop and she was so indignant about it :3: such a tiny 2 pound fury.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Now that it's getting warmer and the growing season has started I am doing a lot of yard work, doing some weeding and clearing out plants I don't want anymore. My favorite search term has become "can chickens eat..." Turns out they like hostas and Japanese knotweed. I also have tons of Queen Anne's lace and it turns out they like that too. It is reducing my feed costs, but assuming they have access to their regular layer feed and water, do I have to worry about them eating too much of these greens and becoming crop bound?

Just make sure that the greens are cut into about 1-2 inch long pieces, long grass can and will get wound up in their crops and cause an impaction. Other than that, as far as I know there is no such thing as too much, chickens don't gorge themselves on food like a dog will.

Banteras, I'd dry them out in the incubator until they are fluffy and strong enough to stand and run around on their own...anywhere from 2-24 hours. You'll know. Then place them under mama.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Zeta Taskforce: Later on, we expect some cute photos of the broody mama and her adopted chicks! :3:

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'd watch their knotweed consumption, as it can be fairly high in oxalic acid which can be toxic in large amounts, but as long as they're eating a bunch of other stuff it shouldn't be problematic. Also, if they're pecking at it and carrying pieces of leaf around (on their feet/feathers even), they can spread the knotweed, and that stuff is invasive as can be and a bitch and a half to eliminate.

The fully mature knotweed plants are really all I'd worry about though (both for the oxalic acid and if they eat the woody stems, they could have crop issues), but the tender young shoots are even edible for humans so they're probably fine with those, and like I said above, as long as they're eating a lot of other stuff too they'll probably be okay.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Bantaras posted:

Tomorrow is day 18! It looks like everything made it ok while I was gone away, except the digital clock tells me the electricity had an outage sometime while I was gone (yikes!). We've had some storms here so I'll ask the neighbors if it was off for any significant length of time. The Reptipro remembers the presets and goes to that when power is restored.
I'm down to 10 eggs (from the original 15) that look like they're well on the way but it's hard to tell with brown eggs.
I'll raise the humidity to 60 and lock them down tomorrow evening.

It's day 20 and we have a pip! no movement or anything else for about an hour so far though

Edit: (3 hours later)
11:32 pm - 2 eggs pipped now - 1st egg has bigger crack, we have chirp sound

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 14, 2013

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

cucurbit posted:

I'd watch their knotweed consumption, as it can be fairly high in oxalic acid which can be toxic in large amounts, but as long as they're eating a bunch of other stuff it shouldn't be problematic. Also, if they're pecking at it and carrying pieces of leaf around (on their feet/feathers even), they can spread the knotweed, and that stuff is invasive as can be and a bitch and a half to eliminate.

The fully mature knotweed plants are really all I'd worry about though (both for the oxalic acid and if they eat the woody stems, they could have crop issues), but the tender young shoots are even edible for humans so they're probably fine with those, and like I said above, as long as they're eating a lot of other stuff too they'll probably be okay.

I read the same thing. For the heck of it I tried eating some and it tasted like rhubarb. They do have a spacious run, but can't ever leave that area so anything they eat is me going out and harvesting it on their behalf. I also gave them some garlic mustard, another plant that is edible for humans and they devoured it. They also have fun with my watermelon rinds. I've noticed that I need to compost a lot less now.

Inveigle posted:

Zeta Taskforce: Later on, we expect some cute photos of the broody mama and her adopted chicks! :3:

I think you have me confused with Bantaras, and yes, we do expect pics!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Pancake and Waffle are so big now, and still doing a lot of things together :3:

Las comadres!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras posted:

It's day 20 and we have a pip! no movement or anything else for about an hour so far though

Edit: (3 hours later)
11:32 pm - 2 eggs pipped now - 1st egg has bigger crack, we have chirp sound

Day 21 and we have one chick this morning!
Another egg (bottom left) cut his ring around but has done nothing more since about 12am. Should I investigate or help her out after 12 hours have passed?

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
So I was reading about coops. As y'do. Which led me to this book, which led to much flipping-through in the bookstore. A lot of cool designs.

One that sort of bothered me, though, was the Pallet Coop (you can get a good look at it here). Besides looking a bit ugly, it requires the chickens live beneath the coop at all times, as the run is built under the main nesting box. So no sun, as I assume the thing becomes a cesspit when it rains. Does that seem a bit unhealthy/unkind to anyone else, or am I just overthinking this?

I really like the idea of recycling scavenged pallets, I just figure there's gotta be a way that A. Doesn't look so crappy, and B. Doesn't requires the chickens to live their lives underneath the coop. Maybe she free-ranges during the day?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bantaras posted:

Another egg (bottom left) cut his ring around but has done nothing more since about 12am. Should I investigate or help her out after 12 hours have passed?

Awwww. Newborn chicks are the best! :D

I think that some of VS's eggs often took 24 hours to break out of the egg. You might PM her about when it's best to start assisting as it's always best for the chick to do it herself. Is the chick moving around inside the egg?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant remember any Chickam assists that survived. :smith:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

VS assisted one of the Light Brahmas this past hatch, but I can't recall if it was the one that died. I remember that it was a really BIG chick so it had a hard time shifting around inside the shell to get out.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras posted:

Thanks guys!
at 10:20 this morning there was some movement inside that zipped egg, so I'm gonna leave it alone. I didn't realize how strong the urge is to get in there and help the little guys.
I just needed some encouragement to hold off.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

SynthOrange posted:

Inveigle posted:

VS assisted one of the Light Brahmas this past hatch, but I can't recall if it was the one that died. I remember that it was a really BIG chick so it had a hard time shifting around inside the shell to get out.

I think Roostroyer was, being such a big boy he couldn't turn around properly. :unsmith:
Tho the overall success rate is pretty pisspoor.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I ate my first duck egg the other night. Goddamn delicious.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I ate my first duck egg the other night. Goddamn delicious.

Do cooked duck eggs taste any different from chicken eggs?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Lot more yolk to albumen than a chicken egg, so richer in that regard. Not terribly different, though, no. I did it over easy and topped some salmon with. Was really a tasty meal.

Interesting how a number of people I've told have thought it was gross or that they wouldn't eat a duck egg.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

unprofessional posted:

Lot more yolk to albumen than a chicken egg, so richer in that regard. Not terribly different, though, no. I did it over easy and topped some salmon with. Was really a tasty meal.

Interesting how a number of people I've told have thought it was gross or that they wouldn't eat a duck egg.

I will eat all the duck eggs they don't. :colbert:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
When I was a kid, we had friends with ducks. We did a camping trip and they brought along a bunch of duck eggs and we had French toast made with them. Holy crapsnacks, it was the best French toast ever.

I'll eat whatever Serella doesn't. :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Lynza posted:

When I was a kid, we had friends with ducks. We did a camping trip and they brought along a bunch of duck eggs and we had French toast made with them. Holy crapsnacks, it was the best French toast ever.

I'll eat whatever Serella doesn't. :D

Sorry, but I'm eating all the ggs!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras posted:

update:
It's 2 pm on day 21 and the zipped egg is still moving but hasn't fully hatched yet (commence nail biting).
However,
another egg almost literally exploded with no pipping or zipping that we could see to reveal chick # 2! Yup a whole other egg that showed no evidence of anything happening just decided to bust onto the scene beating out the partially hatched one for second. I didn't know they could do that.

You can still see the zipped egg over there on the left.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
That chick will become The Hulk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bantaras posted:

another egg almost literally exploded with no pipping or zipping that we could see to reveal chick # 2! Yup a whole other egg that showed no evidence of anything happening just decided to bust onto the scene beating out the partially hatched one for second. I didn't know they could do that.

Happened a few times on chickam.

Havent had fresh duck eggs, but salted duck eggs are a regular feature in chinese food. Delicious salty whites and oily yolks, yum!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

Sorry, but I'm eating all the ggs!

Smash Mouth should have tried to eat duck eggs

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

How are ya likin' that ReptiPro? :v: Hold off on assisting, tho I can sympathise with the worry and overwhelming urge to help. That egg is basically all the way unzipped, she'll come out when ready. If it seems she's getting markedly weaker and quieter, then it's time to help. Also, make sure she isn't 'shrink-wrapped' into the shell by becoming too dry. If she is, use a moist q-Tip or washcloth with warm water to remoisten the membrane so she can come out.

And yeah, most of the time if you have to assist, chances of survival are already slim because there is a reason that chick hasn't hatched on it's own, and Mother Nature knows best. But hey, ya gotta try...

And duck eggs are awesome in cakes and baked goods!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 15, 2013

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

Pancake and Waffle are so big now, and still doing a lot of things together :3:

Las comadres!

awww Chido, they are BFFS!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

How are ya likin' that ReptiPro? :v: Hold off on assisting, tho I can sympathise with the worry and overwhelming urge to help. That egg is basically all the way unzipped, she'll come out when ready. If it seems she's getting markedly weaker and quieter, then it's time to help. Also, make sure she isn't 'shrink-wrapped' into the shell by becoming too dry. If she is, use a moist q-Tip or washcloth with warm water to remoisten the membrane so she can come out.

Thanks for the help VS!
I highly recommend the ReptiPro to anyone looking for an incubator. With just a few simple modifications, it's really the best way to go especially when you compare the costs.
The zipped egg finally hatched with no human assistance, although the poor little girl sure looks like he's been through it! She's not finding her feet as fast as the other two. That's her in the back looking kinda rough:

I haven't given up on the other eggs yet. Hatch day really doesn't begin until tonight (if we're going by actual 21 days) So maybe they're just taking their time? They all have the same genetics and they were all put in the incubator at the same time so we're kinda thinking we won't get any more to hatch. Time will tell.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bantaras posted:

The zipped egg finally hatched with no human assistance, although the poor little girl sure looks like he's been through it! She's not finding her feet as fast as the other two. That's her in the back looking kinda rough:

Awww. Poor tired li'l chick seeking comfort from Mama Fan. Are all of your chicks going back to visit The Fan like VS's chicks were?

I remember the chick from VS's hatch that had a hard time coming out...that chick had an extra thick membrane that it couldn't get through and so VS had to assist.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Inveigle posted:

Awww. Poor tired li'l chick seeking comfort from Mama Fan. Are all of your chicks going back to visit The Fan like VS's chicks were?

I remember the chick from VS's hatch that had a hard time coming out...that chick had an extra thick membrane that it couldn't get through and so VS had to assist.

Well, this morning we decided the snuggling up to Momma Fan was a bit heart wrenching. We moved all three out to my broody hen (Colette)! We had planned to due this all along, ... but we had a surprise though --- she had hatched two chicks herself during the night! She wasn't really due to hatch anything until tomorrow. Maybe I can't count when it comes to calendars - dunno. It's been an hour and she hasn't tried to kill any chicks yet. Maybe it will be alright.

I snapped a photo as one was trying to re position under her. I think it's one of hers. The adopted ones scurried to the back to snuggle.

~ look at Colette's expression ~

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bantaras posted:

~ look at Colette's expression ~

Hahaha! Colleen looks very happy. Good thing she can't count! Did Colleen growl at you when you disturbed her? Did you give Colleen a treat? :)

How are the other eggs in the incubator? Also, what kind of chicks are these?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Inveigle posted:

Hahaha! Colleen looks very happy. Good thing she can't count! Did Colleen growl at you when you disturbed her? Did you give Colleen a treat? :)

How are the other eggs in the incubator? Also, what kind of chicks are these?

O yeah, she growls at me a lot. She's never pecked at me though. She will be one year old on the 30th.
She's not eating out of my hand now that's she's become broody, but she accepted the chicks in broad daylight without any complaints. I think she was wondering how I got her chicks, and I was just putting them back where they belonged.

Nothing else form the eggs in the incubator at all. No chirps, movement or anything. Colette still has two unhatched eggs under her as well. There was something going on in all of these eggs 7 days ago.

These are pure bred Wheaten Marans! They are sired by a rooster sent to me from Tennessee. Now that I'm sure that dad is fertile, I can begin selling eggs for hatching!

I hope to get some good pictures of mom and the babies as they venture out soon.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Wow, Wheaten Marans are BEAUTIFUL!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

piscesbobbie posted:

Wow, Wheaten Marans are BEAUTIFUL!

They really are! I have cuckoo Marans myself and they aren't anywhere near as good looking,

Does anyone know what my birds are trying to say when they all ave their mouths open? They will all come to the side of the run and sit there staring at me with their beaks halfway open and cheep/cluck constantly. They have plenty of food and water!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They really are! I have cuckoo Marans myself and they aren't anywhere near as good looking,

Does anyone know what my birds are trying to say when they all ave their mouths open? They will all come to the side of the run and sit there staring at me with their beaks halfway open and cheep/cluck constantly. They have plenty of food and water!

If they hold their wings a bit open, they might be hot :). If the temperature has risen, you oculd add ice cubes to their wateter or give them smices of cold watermelon to help them cool down.

Edit: We got a second preliminary report of Roo's necropsy. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but he someehow got a parasite more common among turkeys?

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

History of pain when defecating, lethargy and breathing problem, with:
- Impaction and Intestinal obstruction by intraluminal caseonecrotic material (colonic core) with intralesional protozoan
parasites; likely, Histomonas meleagridis.
- Peritonitis, lymphocytis, diffuse, severe
- Periportal hepatitis, lymphocytic, mild
- Splenitis, lymphocitis/heterophilic with fibrin thrombi; multifocal, mild to moderate
- Interstitial nephritis, lymphocytic, multifocal, mild.
Cause of death: Peritonitis and colon impaction due to parasitic infection (suspected Histomoniasis); pending confirmation
Other findings:
- AI and Salmonella PCR were negative
- Few coccidia parasites were present
- Unremarkable aerobic bacteriology.

C a s e S u m m a r y

The main gross findings in this bird were blockage of the terminal colon by intraluminal mass which resulted of in impaction of
the colon and ceca. The cramps/straining manifested during defecating was probably related to the intestinal obstruction by the
mass. Histology may reveal more information on the nature of the mass. We will be screening for Salmonella, parasites test for
AI by PCR as part of the routine surveillance program. Results shall be sent out as they become available.
5-14-2013: The main findings in this chicken was the colitis due to histomonad parasite with peritonitis. Histomonads are
related to the presence of the intermediate host Heterakis gallinarum which is a cecal worm. The disease is most severe in
turkeys and pheasants, and chickens are generally mildly affected. Further characterization of this parasite is in progress.

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s

The carcass was in good flesh and there was adequate fat reserve. The tissues were in good state of postmortem
decomposition. The crop and gizzard were full of feed. The proximal small intestines contained watery thin fluid. The ceca
and colon were distended with fecal matter as the result of blockage of the lumen of the terminal colon by a moderately
firm, oval shaped grey/white mass (2.5 x 1 cm size) that was firmly attached to the wall. No other gross abnormalities
were noted in this bird.

B a c t e r i o l o g y

Test Specific Comments
Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture
There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which the
PCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with
other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling
out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.

BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE

Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type Results
Roostroyer Roostroyer Liver Tissue Mixed flora Sm#

Roostroyer Roostroyer Liver Tissue No salmonella detected
Roostroyer Roostroyer Cecal Tissue No salmonella detected

H i s t o l o g y

The following tissues were examined histologically: Liver, spleen, lung, heart, kidney, small intestine, colon, sinus, brain,
and colonic caseous mass.
Lesions found: The liver showed mild lymphocytic periportal hepatitis; the spleen showed mild, multifocal, pleocellular
(heterophils and lymphocytes) infiltrates and fibrin thrombi; the kidney had mild multifocal lymphocytic infiltrates; and
marked congestion of the lung.
The colon had transmural inflammation consisted of lymphocytes, macrophages and heterophils with caseous
eosinophilic exudates. Within the exudates present were small round basophilic bodies with central nuclei and surrounded
by clear halo. These bodies resemble protozoan parasites, likely histomonads which stained positive with PAS. Further
characterization of the protozoa bodies using immunohistochemistry is in progress. The serosa was infiltrated with
pleocellular infiltrates consisted of mostly lymphocytes, but also few macrophages. Other tissues were unremarkable.

Chido fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 16, 2013

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
"Yo bro, I picked up three new birds from the mixed flock bin, so hopefully we'll have at least one girl"
Translation: I'm sneaky and bought three pullets from the feed store. :3: I picked them from a brown egg layer cage, but I'm pretty sure that I have two black Australorps and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They hatched Monday and are so tiny! The larger two are probably about 17 days old. They've been really good with the babies and the new ones follow them around and do what they do. It's pretty adorable. I'm happy with this flock size, so I no longer have to call every feed store in the area asking when they're getting new birds in.

I'm really happy with my Estes birds so far, they seem to have nicer stock than what I've seen and heard about Ideal and a lot of the other hatcheries that supply feed stores.

Uh, girls.. you're not big enough to be broody.

I cleaned the brooder out after taking pictures. Why do you poo poo so much birds :argh:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

If they hold their wings a bit open, they might be hot :). If the temperature has risen, you oculd add ice cubes to their wateter or give them smices of cold watermelon to help them cool down.

Edit: We got a second preliminary report of Roo's necropsy. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but he someehow got a parasite more common among turkeys?

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

History of pain when defecating, lethargy and breathing problem, with:
- Impaction and Intestinal obstruction by intraluminal caseonecrotic material (colonic core) with intralesional protozoan
parasites; likely, Histomonas meleagridis.
- Peritonitis, lymphocytis, diffuse, severe
- Periportal hepatitis, lymphocytic, mild
- Splenitis, lymphocitis/heterophilic with fibrin thrombi; multifocal, mild to moderate
- Interstitial nephritis, lymphocytic, multifocal, mild.
Cause of death: Peritonitis and colon impaction due to parasitic infection (suspected Histomoniasis); pending confirmation
Other findings:
- AI and Salmonella PCR were negative
- Few coccidia parasites were present
- Unremarkable aerobic bacteriology.

C a s e S u m m a r y

The main gross findings in this bird were blockage of the terminal colon by intraluminal mass which resulted of in impaction of
the colon and ceca. The cramps/straining manifested during defecating was probably related to the intestinal obstruction by the
mass. Histology may reveal more information on the nature of the mass. We will be screening for Salmonella, parasites test for
AI by PCR as part of the routine surveillance program. Results shall be sent out as they become available.
5-14-2013: The main findings in this chicken was the colitis due to histomonad parasite with peritonitis. Histomonads are
related to the presence of the intermediate host Heterakis gallinarum which is a cecal worm. The disease is most severe in
turkeys and pheasants, and chickens are generally mildly affected. Further characterization of this parasite is in progress.

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s

The carcass was in good flesh and there was adequate fat reserve. The tissues were in good state of postmortem
decomposition. The crop and gizzard were full of feed. The proximal small intestines contained watery thin fluid. The ceca
and colon were distended with fecal matter as the result of blockage of the lumen of the terminal colon by a moderately
firm, oval shaped grey/white mass (2.5 x 1 cm size) that was firmly attached to the wall. No other gross abnormalities
were noted in this bird.

B a c t e r i o l o g y

Test Specific Comments
There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which the
PCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with
other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling
out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.

BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE

Roostroyer Roostroyer Liver Tissue Mixed flora Sm#

Roostroyer Roostroyer Liver Tissue No salmonella detected
Roostroyer Roostroyer Cecal Tissue No salmonella detected

H i s t o l o g y

The following tissues were examined histologically: Liver, spleen, lung, heart, kidney, small intestine, colon, sinus, brain,
and colonic caseous mass.
Lesions found: The liver showed mild lymphocytic periportal hepatitis; the spleen showed mild, multifocal, pleocellular
(heterophils and lymphocytes) infiltrates and fibrin thrombi; the kidney had mild multifocal lymphocytic infiltrates; and
marked congestion of the lung.
The colon had transmural inflammation consisted of lymphocytes, macrophages and heterophils with caseous
eosinophilic exudates. Within the exudates present were small round basophilic bodies with central nuclei and surrounded
by clear halo. These bodies resemble protozoan parasites, likely histomonads which stained positive with PAS. Further
characterization of the protozoa bodies using immunohistochemistry is in progress. The serosa was infiltrated with
pleocellular infiltrates consisted of mostly lymphocytes, but also few macrophages. Other tissues were unremarkable.

I'll be damned, Blackhead! It's more common in turkeys and doesn't usually kill chickens unless they've been run on the same ground as turkeys have been kept on. Any turkey history in your area...?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'm not sure. A lot of people have chickens and horses in my neighborhood, and the people who owned this house before my sister bought it kept horses here, but that was about 10-11 years ago. there is a colony of feral peacocks in this area, but I've never seen them come all the way down to my street. I've never heard any turkeys in here :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Are the birds afraid of humans