Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lots of photos. 200 here 30 more

Here's the weird stuff and a cute kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have known enough old Minnesotans to say with some authority that they can be incredibly fickle in the most ridiculous ways. This is important because the marriage amendment was defeated in a year with much more young people coming out to vote, compared to the older demographic that makes up non-Presidential election years. So be prepared for some really convoluted arguments next year, because maybe we can convince uncle Knut and aunt Alice that it wasn't right to pass SSM before we had some sub-checklist item of the budget wrapped up. At least, stupid canards like that have definitely been a major feature of every election in this state since I was old enough to care about politics.

On the other hand, the Minnesota GOP is a complete shitshow lacking in organisation right now.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I'm a straight single person, born and raised in MN. Never considered myself very prone to sentimentality or big on politics. Didn't give a lot of personal thought to equal rights here in my home state, other than supporting it in general and voting against things like the amendment last year. Now here I am, grinning from ear to ear since yesterday evening, and I just did something I never, ever thought I would do. I went over to the gas station bought a copy of today's newspaper to save. 20 to 50 years from now, when I'm talking to my kids, grand kids, godchildren, nieces, nephews, whatever. I'll be able to tell them how I felt on yesterday and today, and show them the first thing I ever wanted them to see before they were even born.

Also I'll be able to tell them of the mythical newspaper, a great and lumbering beast extinct since the Z-Wars.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 14, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Y'know that giant :ironicat: emoticon that shows up every now and then? I need one of those for :allears: right now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, when Dayton signs the bill, when can the marrying begin?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

BigDave posted:

So, when Dayton signs the bill, when can the marrying begin?

August 1

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

What's the purpose of delaying it by 3 months? Do they need time to print marriage licenses with different wording or is it more for political reasons?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corrupt Politician posted:

What's the purpose of delaying it by 3 months? Do they need time to print marriage licenses with different wording or is it more for political reasons?

Probably wording, but in general it's a good idea to give some leeway for the appropriate departments or businesses (mostly the former in this case) so they can adjust to the new regulations.

It's not like it's going to be repealed in the intervening time anyway.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

Probably wording, but in general it's a good idea to give some leeway for the appropriate departments or businesses (mostly the former in this case) so they can adjust to the new regulations.

Yeah, the bureaucracy needs a month or two to digest the changes and update policy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

computer parts posted:

It will also have the side effect of giving the wedding industry some time to take orders and ramp up marketing to all their new customers :D

quote:

Unless something weird happens, the first chance to do this would be in the 2017 session, right? Assuming Dayton runs again, it would require he be defeated by somebody who's repeal-friendly, and then in '16 for a bunch of senators to get booted. And in the House, it would mean that any pro-repeal candidates who manage to unseat somebody in '14 would have to endure actually being a legislator, so any weirdos would hopefully get booted back out in '16 by their constituents. On top of that, there will be three and a half years of continuing demographic/opinion shift on this issue before the '16 election.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Minneapolis City Hall will open at 12:01 a.m. on first day all Minnesotans can marry

Start planning now! At 12:01 a.m. on the first day that all Minnesotans are able to get married, historic Minneapolis City Hall will be open and available for couples wishing to tie the knot. Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak will be on hand and happy to officiate weddings that night.

What better place to celebrate an historic occasion than at one of Minnesota’s historic crown jewels. Minneapolis City Hall is a striking example of Romanesque architecture, with a 345 foot clock tower and a dramatic six-story Rotunda adorned with 37 stained glass windows, a skylight and Italian marble.

For more information on holding your wedding ceremony at Minneapolis City Hall contact the Municipal Building Commission at 612-596-9518 or e-mail tracey.mclaughlin@co.hennepin.mn.us. More information is also available here.

This. This here is why I stick around through the dogshit winter. :3:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
At the MN capitol for the bill signing, quite a few people here already and good god it is hot. 90% of the people here are crammed into the shade of one huge tree near the steps where it is happening. The hellfire has definitely started already.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

At the MN capitol for the bill signing, quite a few people here already and good god it is hot. 90% of the people here are crammed into the shade of one huge tree near the steps where it is happening. The hellfire has definitely started already.

It's 50 up here in Duluth today!

There will be a candlelight prayer vigil at the Cathedral between 9:15-10:15 PM put on by some lay Catholics in mourning, that will probably be cooler.

Two Livestreams here if anybody wants to see the signing: http://www.theuptake.org/2013/05/14/gov-dayton-to-sign-minnesota-same-sex-marriage-law-live-on-the-uptake-at-5-p-m/
http://www.startribune.com/politics/207166651.html

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 14, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brazil's National Council of Justice voted 14-1 to force the country's notary publics to register same-sex civil unions as marriages if the couple requests it. The decision could be appealed by their Supreme Court, but this move effectively paves the way for full marriage equality in Brazil,

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I am incredibly happy for Minnesota, congratulations guys.

But I am still deeply ashamed at my state's failure in all this. Come on California, you're supposed to be the commie liberal nannystate Mecca! :argh:

Ah well, at least I can indulge in a bit of schadenfreude as NOM spirals further into madness and frothing rage.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

EgoEgress posted:

But I am still deeply ashamed at my state's failure in all this. Come on California, you're supposed to be the commie liberal nannystate Mecca! :argh:

Ah well, at least I can indulge in a bit of schadenfreude as NOM spirals further into madness and frothing rage.

I have 12 people in my phone who live in California. I am dumping the biggest load of :smuggo: on them right now.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

EgoEgress posted:

It's because of SCOTUS. If it weren't for that, the Democratic supermajority would have thrown out Prop 8 and legalized gay marriage faster than you can say "MAH RIGHTS :qq:"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have 12 people in my phone who live in California. I am dumping the biggest load of :smuggo: on them right now.
It's not their fault California has generous referendum laws and AFER delayed everything somewhere between 6 months and 3 years.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

EgoEgress posted:

You only have to be bitter for another month or so, unless there's a bad SCOTUS ruling then you'll have to wait until 2014.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A new poll shows 55% of Arizonans support marriage equality. Link

Even among voters over the age of 54, a 46 percent plurality favor the change while 40 percent oppose it. As in other polls, certain groups favored it at higher rates, including Latinos (75 percent), Democrats (70 percent), those under the age of 35 (67 percent), Moderates/Independents (64 percent), and women (60 percent).

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- HĂƒÂ¡vamĂƒÂ¡l

EgoEgress posted:

The Minnesota for Marriage Facebook page is a sight to behold.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Sweeney Tom posted:

A new poll shows 55% of Arizonans support marriage equality. Link

Even among voters over the age of 54, a 46 percent plurality favor the change while 40 percent oppose it. As in other polls, certain groups favored it at higher rates, including Latinos (75 percent), Democrats (70 percent), those under the age of 35 (67 percent), Moderates/Independents (64 percent), and women (60 percent).

That makes me wonder whether some of the support among somewhat unlikely constituencies like Latinos might be (to some extent) a "gently caress you" backlash against the generally lovely state of Arizona politics. (I don't mean to demean Latinos as a voting block or as people or anything; my perception is that traditionally Catholic populations like that have trended more conservative on the issue, but that might just be my ignorance.)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

emfive posted:

That makes me wonder whether some of the support among somewhat unlikely constituencies like Latinos might be (to some extent) a "gently caress you" backlash against the generally lovely state of Arizona politics. (I don't mean to demean Latinos as a voting block or as people or anything; my perception is that traditionally Catholic populations like that have trended more conservative on the issue, but that might just be my ignorance.)

Latino voters are more likely to support same sex marriage than the population at large, at least according to the exit polls last year. The idea that Latinos are closet conservatives who were pushed away by xenophobia is a fantasy republicans tell themselves to convince the base that they have a future.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Besides, I thought polling showed Catholics being significantly more supportive of SSM than Protestants.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lycus posted:

Besides, I thought polling showed Catholics being significantly more supportive of SSM than Protestants.

Catholics generally are more likely to not give a poo poo about official church doctrine than Protestants. A lot of it is that modern American Catholicism is more cultural and linked in with heritage than Protestants.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Do you not remember that former US Senator Dayton barely beat Tom Emmer, the certifiably bonkers yokel? That it was so close it triggered an automatic recount? That it was during a huge wave year for the DFL? And that Dayton might have been the beneficiary of the IP "spoiler" votes?

2010 was a wave election for the GOP. They took the Minnesota House and Senate, shutdown the government in 2011 and almost had voter ID and marriage inequality enshrined in our state constitution.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Thank god, I need some :toot: after the :smith: in the Sequester thread. Good job Brazil.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jim Kolbe (R-AZ), who voted against DOMA, is getting married to Hector Alfonso this weekend. He served in Congress for nine years after he was outed and then retired in 2005.

doritto
May 12, 2013

Does anyone else feel as if the argument that government deeming who can be married or not is separating marriage from its "Christian religion roots" and making it completely something controlled by government and "unsanctified" is completely under used?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dsipal posted:

Does anyone else feel as if the argument that government deeming who can be married or not is separating marriage from its "Christian religion roots" and making it completely something controlled by government and "unsanctified" is completely under used?

Oh, you mean the libertarian "let's get the government out of all religion!" sidestep? That fails specifically because marriage has been a political institution predating Christianity (and arguably Judaism).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

joepinetree posted:

Latino voters are more likely to support same sex marriage than the population at large, at least according to the exit polls last year. The idea that Latinos are closet conservatives who were pushed away by xenophobia is a fantasy republicans tell themselves to convince the base that they have a future.

Yea in my personal experience with Latino activists and all, there is a decent amount of conservatism in social issues like this, but aside from some VERY hardcore types most of them have the attitude of 'I don't like it but I don't see why it should be banned'. This also plays into why the right is constantly surprised that despite being a religious demographic they don't often align with social conservatism in voting.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

dsipal posted:

What do you mean? We're a Christian nation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

dsipal posted:

Opposition campaigns would be cutting their own throats by acknowledging a difference between religious marriage and civil marriage. Supporters have spent a lot of time framing with civil marriage and making sure people know nothing changes in their churches.

In the legislative debate someone always says the government doesn't have the power to define marriage, which is absurd.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
How is it that people can make general statements about Latinos being naturally disposed to not support SSM while significant and rapid process is being made in Latin America??

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It depends on the country. Some latin countries are really pro same-sex marriage, others crack down pretty hard on it. It's unfair to generalize an entire continent (and a good chunk of another) either way really.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

In the legislative debate someone always says the government doesn't have the power to define marriage, which is absurd.

Not only absurd, but hypocritical. Not even getting into the whole issue of polygamy being prohibited by law, there's the fact that the people saying this are often the same individuals pushing, if not for government to explicitly define marriage as invariably between one man and one woman, to at least preserve the status quo in which it's the only recognized form.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

computer parts posted:

Oh, you mean the libertarian "let's get the government out of all religion!" sidestep? That fails specifically because marriage has been a political institution predating Christianity (and arguably Judaism).

I made the latter point to a libertarian friend of mine and his response was a very verbose version of "la la la can't hear you"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Some news to start the day.

First, the lower chamber of Italy's Parliament approved a new rule which extends its politicians' health benefits to their gay partners. Now LGBT MPs (who pay for insurance) can have rights extended to the men or women they live with.

In other Italy marriage equality news, a Milan court recognized a British civil partnership, the first time Italy's legally recognized a gay union from abroad. The couple can now apply for local welfare/benefits and have their relationship recognized if one of them goes into an Italy hospital.

Finally, 9 years ago only 24% of Michigan voters supported marriage equality. Today, a new poll shows that gay marriage support has jumped to 54%, up 12.5% from last year. The shift mostly came from Republicans and independents having changed opinions on the subject.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

joepinetree posted:

Don't Latino voters skew very young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The I-35W bridge in Minnesota last night

• Locked thread