Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've got a PS2 slim, but no power cable for it. It won't read discs but it can do USB HDD stuff just fine, and I'd be willing to include a softmodded memory card with it so you don't have to install that yourself- you'd just need a power cable and usb hard drive.

How well do PS2 games run over USB? I figured there'd be a lot of loading or at least stuttering during FMVs and stuff. How did you find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Darn, the SCD is hella broke. I can replace the belt to fix the eject problem but it isn't reading sega cd discs or audio cds. I guess I should get an oring first and make it eject to come to a conclusion.

The one I got was from nintendo parts and I can't really comment on the quality yet, diagnosing this sega cd first.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Darn, the SCD is hella broke. I can replace the belt to fix the eject problem but it isn't reading sega cd discs or audio cds. I guess I should get an oring first and make it eject to come to a conclusion.

You can still get the JVC-branded lens for the model 1 Sega CD on ebay for less than $20.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

univbee posted:

Super Everdrive
Super Everdrive Deluxe Edition from Stone Age Gamer (adds DSP-1 chip so Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings will work)
SNES Powerpak (has the ability to play the translated Star Ocean ROM)
SD2SNES (adds support for Mega Man X2 and X3, might get a firmware update for SuperFX chip games like Star Fox and Star Fox 2 and Yoshi's Island, as well as support for the chip used in Super Mario RPG, but this isn't guaranteed yet)

Well drat. Looks like I'm saving up for an SD2SNES then. I didn't know the compatibility issues were such a problem still. X2/X3, Star Fox, and SMRPG are some of the games I really wanted. Oh well. I think I'll hold off on the SNES one then until some of that stuff gets ironed out. The Everdrive MD however sounds good, and my Genesis collection is non-existent right now, so I won't feel bad about buying it. :haw:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

absolutely anything posted:

Thank you so much ACID_POLICE.

HELL FUCKIN YEAH

(p.s. if anyone has a programmer please make me a fake Recca 92 cart, i'll even send you a fami PCB)

edit: Also DeathBySpoon, everyone who needs at least one replacement power supply should buy this, I trust half my consoles with it: http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Comp...al+power+supply

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 15, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Have you ever felt like awesome NES games just didn't look enough like unlicensed clones? A new NES emulator, HDNes, is for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57ApspYHVE

Looks like my Everdrive-NES is in the USA now, looking forward to it. Need to find the AC adapter for my front-loader though, and also the controllers. Also see if it works and maybe make my CIC disable mod cleaner; years ago I clipped pin 4 but I don't think I ever tested it afterwards. Even if it does work I'll probably want to solder that to GND.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Well drat. Looks like I'm saving up for an SD2SNES then. I didn't know the compatibility issues were such a problem still. X2/X3, Star Fox, and SMRPG are some of the games I really wanted. Oh well. I think I'll hold off on the SNES one then until some of that stuff gets ironed out. The Everdrive MD however sounds good, and my Genesis collection is non-existent right now, so I won't feel bad about buying it. :haw:
The list of games at the bottom of this Wikipedia article is the list of games that won't work on a Super Everdrive. Of those, the DSP-1 games can work if you add a DSP-1 chip onto the device, though this requires either a pass-through cart and a game that's not Pilotwings, or the desoldering of a DSP1 from a formerly working game.

SD2SNES still does not simulate SuperFX, SA-1, or a few other chips. It does have support for all DSP variants and the Cx4 chip used in MMX2/X3. SuperFX is being worked on but is a lot to do so progress has been slow. ikari believes the FPGA he's using should be able to do SA-1, and if it can be done it should be easier than implementing the SuperFX, but he isn't going to work on that until SFX is done and it is possible that SA-1 may never work on his hardware.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

parasyte posted:

Need to find the AC adapter for my front-loader though
You can use a model 1 genesis ac adapter on your NES if you have one.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

parasyte posted:

Have you ever felt like awesome NES games just didn't look enough like unlicensed clones? A new NES emulator, HDNes, is for you!

You know, I always wondered if this would work. This particular one looks like rear end, but I DO like the idea of emulating an NES game under the hood, but replacing all of the drawing with custom code. It's like those Dwarf Fortress visualizers, but for the NES.

ACID POLICE posted:

edit: Also DeathBySpoon, everyone who needs at least one replacement power supply should buy this, I trust half my consoles with it: http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Comp...al+power+supply

This is definitely going in my next Amazon order, sweet.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How well do PS2 games run over USB? I figured there'd be a lot of loading or at least stuttering during FMVs and stuff. How did you find it?

FMVs stutter, but aside from that they run pretty darn well. Easily well enough for what I've played (SMT stuff, FFX, Street Fighter Anniversary). You just pop the DVD into your PC, rip it to the HD with USBUtil, and load it on the PS2 with FreeMcBoot + OPL. It sounds a lot more complex than it is.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

DeathBySpoon posted:

You know, I always wondered if this would work. This particular one looks like rear end, but I DO like the idea of emulating an NES game under the hood, but replacing all of the drawing with custom code. It's like those Dwarf Fortress visualizers, but for the NES.

There's also an SMS emulator called HiSMS that supports the same. In theory it's a lot like Dolphin and the N64 emulators that came prior; in those textures are dumped then remade at a higher resolution, while in these emulators tilemaps are dumped and remade at a higher resolution. Palette effects make that somewhat more complicated than it sounds however.

Copper Vein posted:

You can use a model 1 genesis ac adapter on your NES if you have one.

1. I was a deprived child (not really) and never had a Genesis even though my friends down the block had one.
2. Holy poo poo, you mean more than just the NES took 9V AC?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

parasyte posted:

Holy poo poo, you mean more than just the NES took 9V AC?
Kinda. The Toaster's brick still output's AC power, which is why it should never be used with anything else ever.

The NES itself rectifies the AC into DC for internal use, so feeding it DC in the first place is ok, regardless of polarity.

Also that Genesis brick outputs over 9v anyway. Rated voltage is nearly never actual voltage especially with old adapters like these.

Edit: Also the Atari Jaguar uses the exact same adapter as the model 1 Genny.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

Kinda. The Toaster's brick still output's AC power, which is why it should never be used with anything else ever.

The NES itself rectifies the AC into DC for internal use, so feeding it DC in the first place is ok, regardless of polarity.

Also that Genesis brick outputs over 9v anyway. Rated voltage is nearly never actual voltage especially with old adapters like these.

Edit: Also the Atari Jaguar uses the exact same adapter as the model 1 Genny.

Oh okay I should have thought of that actually. Looking at a rectifier schematic again makes that pretty obvious. And yeah I know never to trust a linear power supply to deliver its rated voltage except under enough load.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:w00t: x 50000

It was just the belt :smug:

By the way if you need to do the replacement I found at Lowes BrassCraft 0525 O-Rings work great.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_200838-72906-SC0578_0__?productId=3142033&Ntt=o-ring+1%22&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Do-ring%2B1%2522&facetInfo=

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Now find a belt that matches the Famicom Disk System exactly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

:w00t: x 50000

It was just the belt :smug:

By the way if you need to do the replacement I found at Lowes BrassCraft 0525 O-Rings work great.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_200838-72906-SC0578_0__?productId=3142033&Ntt=o-ring+1%22&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Do-ring%2B1%2522&facetInfo=

The SEGA CD BIOS music owns.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Now find a belt that matches the Famicom Disk System exactly.

I bought a kit for replacing the belt in a tapedeck a few years ago and that was 10 different sizes for about 7usd, so you could try that. Also, if you're willing to go through a McMaster catalogue a perfect replacement will be in there.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Now that I have a RGB cable for my SNES, anyone in need of S-Video power?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:pcgaming:

Although the composite out is a bit jailbar-y on light-colored backgrounds. Oh well.

I also got an eBay lot of 30 disk system games I'm going to go through this weekend. :getin:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

ACID POLICE posted:

I actually could use that. Been meaning to Svideo mod my SNES jr anyway, too lazy to buy a cord and do it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I sorta wish I bought that Atari 800 that was randomly there at my Goodwill months ago. But I don't collect Atari...

That's a great system for old arcade ports!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
How much? Might want it for my n64

Also that cord won't work on a snes jr

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ACID POLICE posted:

Hello friend. :)

e: oh i got distracted before i hit post and then other posts happened. whoops

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

flyboi posted:

How much? Might want it for my n64

Also that cord won't work on a snes jr

Why not? I know I need to do a simple mod to activate Svideo again, but I can't imagine any other reason it wouldn't work.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Are those the monster SNES cables? The lovely 8 dollar set I have are very checkerboardy

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Vegastar posted:

Why not? I know I need to do a simple mod to activate Svideo again, but I can't imagine any other reason it wouldn't work.

Ah, I see you can solder to the port and not break things. My bad.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Blurg, go away for an hour and miss SNES s-video cables

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Or get this.

I use these on my snes and I've never seen the dots that have been "reported".

Also any N64/GC s-video cable will work.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

univbee posted:

:pcgaming:

Although the composite out is a bit jailbar-y on light-colored backgrounds. Oh well.

I also got an eBay lot of 30 disk system games I'm going to go through this weekend. :getin:
This is very pretty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I still got a few fds games I need to get rid of.. Just FYI

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just a reminder to anyone in this thread with a WiiU that Super Metroid is 30 cents today.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

HKR posted:

Or get this.

I use these on my snes and I've never seen the dots that have been "reported".

Also any N64/GC s-video cable will work.

Can you take some screenshots with it? I was looking for a solid composite+svideo cable for a while and no one ever mentioned this one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

parasyte posted:

There's a Master System emulator that's been able to do this for a while, though the example they give looks a lot better than that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScyB69dwRA0

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I don't see why the hell you would do "HD Mario" and not base it on the official artwork of the era.

Same guys who put Smash Bros Mario on their NES emulator splash screens or whatever I guess.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
If you expressed interest in those Monster cables I PM'd you!

Okay I'm getting ready to make the switchable XRGB-2+ a reality. The only thing is, I can't figure out what I should do between the switch and SCART jack on the machine itself after I lift the pins from the board.

Do I wire a switch up to a piece of stripboard or something? Help me figure out how to electronics better :saddowns:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I was driving home today and had to detour off my usual route because of a major accident that happened. As my new route took me near several Goodwills, I decided to stop at and check them out. I was looking for the usual retro goodness (but found none except for a Genesis sports game I didn't buy, because meh), but I was also on the look out for an SD, CRT-based Sony Trinitron with component inputs. After rolling the dice and striking out at two stores (because it appears the Goodwills in my area are scaling back their electronics stuff in general), lo and behold the retrogaming gods smiled on me at the third store I checked out. A little grunt work and $15 later, and I am now the owner of a 24" Trinitron WEGA that was made in 2003. One of these, to be precise.

So I guess I'm now part of the official Trinitron Kool Kid Component Club...but until I actually get some component sources, I guess I'm not yet a full-fledged member. Still, it's nice to be able to plan for some future upgrades now...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure I keep my Goodwill's consistently stocked with electronics. There are three in my area I hit up and when I buy something from one store I'll come back and noticed they moved all related items to it. I bought a copy of Lethal Enforcers with the justifier CIB, came back a few days later and suddenly their electronics shelf was full of SNES boxed games that I remember seeing in another store across town.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Oh I also have Euro SCART PC Engine cables if anyone wants them. I'm about to have an extra set of RGB cables for my Duo.

If one of you has a PC Engine that hasn't come from doujindance maybe you should wire up the RGB lines and get this cable breh.

e: Monster cable's been claimed.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 16, 2013

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012
These came in for me today.

Dangerous seed and XDR for the mega drive. Final fight cd for the sega cd.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Stopped by the local game shops and picked up some cheap games.

Pinball - $1.95
Faxanadu - $2.95
Tennis - $1
Heiankyo Alien - $1

Nothing amazing, but I am pleased.
The background is a Marvel Land spread from last month's Retro Gamer.

EDIT: VVV I meant as far as good deals. I did check Pinball, no converter. I just got it because it was one of my favorite NES games in Animal Crossing.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 16, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Nothing amazing? Heiankyo Alien is one of the best Game Boy games ever. My Fami to NES converter came from a Pinball too so see if it's got the extra flathead screws and is extra heavy. If not, it's a very weird pinball game and worth playing regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Also, Faxanadu is a pretty good game, it's on my list of games to get, it's just too cheap to pay for shipping and generally not in the game stores when I go in.

• Locked thread