Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I would pay money for Friendship World. Sure, the world is a wasteland, but we can overcome any challenge with the power of friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I've been puttering around Tokyo for the past week and will be for a while more, so I present:

A short primer on the Role & Roll shop at Akihabara

Thanks to Andy/DiamondSutra for enlightening me as to this shop's location. Just like Yellow Submarine, this shop contains all sorts of table-top gaming stuff.

There's a map on their home page. Google Maps reference.

Sixth floor of this building on the Chuo-dori main road:

Most of what's in the shop. Board games are off-image to the left:

Gaming area is behind these screens. I could hear chatter and dice being rolled. I wanted to join in :sigh:

The main subject of this thread:

View from the counter:

If you're getting homesick for good ol D&D I guess you can go here:

A bunch of stuff I bought today. I admittedly bought the Angel Gear books for the superficial reason of "interesting-looking covers". I can't read this stuff (yet)!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
There's an Etrian Odyssey TRPG? :stare:

Can you give any indication of how this SRS system plays?

e: Oh, right, it's the same system as Arianrhod and a bunch of others. Maybe someone knows what sort of setting-specific changes were made?

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 2, 2013

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Rasamune posted:

There's an Etrian Odyssey TRPG? :stare:

Can you give any indication of how this SRS system plays?

Cheap Trick posted:

I can't read this stuff (yet)!

I'm sure a more learned colleague in this thread can field this question.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So what are Japanese D&D books like? Do they redo the art, or just translate the text? Are there additional supplements and options for a more Eastern/anime-based fantasy? Do they translate novels or just gaming books?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Arivia posted:

So what are Japanese D&D books like? Do they redo the art, or just translate the text? Are there additional supplements and options for a more Eastern/anime-based fantasy? Do they translate novels or just gaming books?

I can't find any articles on it right now since it's a somewhat obscure topic but I believe 3rd edition of D&D had some art assets redone in addition to the translation work. If you're looking for Eastern/anime based fantasy (in the D&D setting) then you'll have to look at older editions here Oriental Adventures was still a thing (AEG created an L5R adaptation for 3rd edition D&D and called it Oriental Adventures, whereas earlier editions had some more fantastic interpretations and bad balancing for things).

So I had a look at an advance copy of Double Cross (coming out soon in English!) and my general opinion is that it's...really orthodox in terms of rules. I was expecting something a little more out there, but considering that it uses d10s and comes from a "big" TRPG company in Japan (FEAR) and the majority of systems developed in Japan are d6-based due to materials availability, I suppose they don't want to do anything too crazy just yet. Whenever the localizer gives me the OK I'll do a deep dive and explain how the system works and the bits and bobs with it, either via this thread or in another one!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The 3e Oriental Adventures was actually done in house at WotC by James Wyatt, I was just looking at it.

Besides, I have a bunch of Pathfinder stuff to rip off if I needed that; I was just curious what the actual presentation of D&D is like in Japan.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Arivia posted:

Besides, I have a bunch of Pathfinder stuff to rip off if I needed that; I was just curious what the actual presentation of D&D is like in Japan.

I'm heading back into Akihabara tomorrow so I'll have a flip through the books and see what's the deal.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Arivia posted:

I know that some of the older D&D material was completely reworked when it was brought over to Japan. For example, the 1991 D&D Rules Cyclopedia was a single-volume B&W hardcover with minimal line art, but its Japanese translation (shown here) was a three-volume slipcase with full-color insets.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

gtrmp posted:

I know that some of the older D&D material was completely reworked when it was brought over to Japan. For example, the 1991 D&D Rules Cyclopedia was a single-volume B&W hardcover with minimal line art, but its Japanese translation (shown here) was a three-volume slipcase with full-color insets.

Oh, that was the thing! Thank you for linking that. That site is in general pretty groovy.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I'm pretty sure the 3rd Ed stuff is just a straight translation, I briefly flipped through the players handbook in a store when I was living over there.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
From everything I've seen for D&D 3rd and 4th editions they pretty much just recreated WotC's books with Japanese text. OTOH the Japanese publisher has put out some replays that look more like this:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Ewen Cluney posted:

From everything I've seen for D&D 3rd and 4th editions they pretty much just recreated WotC's books with Japanese text. OTOH the Japanese publisher has put out some replays that look more like this:

What is the general feeling of Japanese D&D players on dragonborn, tieflings, and warforged

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rasamune posted:

What is the general feeling of Japanese D&D players on dragonborn, tieflings, and warforged

They probably think the dragonborns' breasts aren't big enough, given that cover.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So just in case anyone's curious, I'm doing a FATAL & Friends writeup of Ryuutama.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

So, there's a Kickstarter for the translation of Yuuyake Koyake. Already over the top.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-heartwarming-role-playing

I emailed with Andy Kitkowski, the translator for Ryuutama that used to supply English translations with purchase of the full game, but he stopped doing that. He did say, though, that he'd do a Kickstarter for that too sometime this year.

So, things are looking up for the non-violent, gentle JRPGs coming to English-speaking countries this year.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I got my TBZ books today. Maybe it's just the seven years of waiting, but they are so very beautiful.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Maleketh posted:

I got my TBZ books today. Maybe it's just the seven years of waiting, but they are so very beautiful.

Same here. They're gorgeous.

akasnowmaaan posted:

So, there's a Kickstarter for the translation of Yuuyake Koyake. Already over the top.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-heartwarming-role-playing

I emailed with Andy Kitkowski, the translator for Ryuutama that used to supply English translations with purchase of the full game, but he stopped doing that. He did say, though, that he'd do a Kickstarter for that too sometime this year.

So, things are looking up for the non-violent, gentle JRPGs coming to English-speaking countries this year.

You know that both Andy and Ewen have been regular posters in this thread, right?

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 14, 2013

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just got my hardback TBZ books today. They're so pretty. :swoon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I highly recommend giving the Directors Commentary book for TBZ a read. There's a lot of interesting info in there! And Andy must have spent a lot of time on packaging everything up, the box I got was really secure and looked like it came out of a professional packing plant. The Aiki chips are cool and have great throwing potential (Sorry Mll, Humbug, and Fax!) and really everything is just so nice. Easily the best package I've received so far.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh god, does this mean I can go to Humbug's place now for TBZ? :ohdear:

EDIT:

By the war, it turns out that you can buy these exact same kanji dice at the Asian Art Museum in SF. I was there a couple of months ago and saw them in the gift shop and said to myself, "I bet these are the dice that are gonna come with TBZ." :hurr:

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 16, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

VoodooXT posted:

Just got my hardback TBZ books today. They're so pretty. :swoon:

So did I, what a nice surprise. I can't wait to crack all these books open and play. :syoon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dammit, I'm still waiting on mine. :argh:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Same :emo:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

If it helps, I'm still waiting on my Magicians package. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Thanks for reminding me of mine. :smith: :hf: :smith:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mine came in today :smug:

Potsticker posted:

And this came in weeks ago :smug:

TBZ went to my old address though, so I'm waiting until my roommate has a chance to drop it by. Can't wait to go through the box.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just received my TBZ books today.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Wait, things have started shipping? I haven't gotten a one of them. What the hell. :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Got my TBZ stuff today too.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Wait, things have started shipping? I haven't gotten a one of them. What the hell. :(

It could be because you weren't a Kickstarter backer, or if you were, you donated a relatively small amount. People who backed at higher tiers got their stuff sent out first. I think the last e-mail said that all the $108+ backers had had theirs shipped.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Well this thread made me buy TBZ and I'm considering going for the $10 GSS kickstarter. I would have gone for the $25 for physical copy but I don't live in the states and the shipping cost is going to kill me, le sigh.

Can't wait for Meikyuu Kingdom! (Please?)

On that note, does the Japanese version of the MK books have ISBN numbers I can use if I want to try to get Kinokuniya to import it or something?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Haven't gotten my books yet and it looks like I missed out on the offer/update about the Director's Commentary book entirely. :(
Anyone know if that'll be available in some fashion in the future, when things settle down a bit?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Reading the Director's Cut book right now and got the section about Gunma Prefecture. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I used to live there and I know EVERY SINGLE THING AND PLACE he mentions. :swoon:

EDIT:

Though, it's King God Burger. :v:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Davzz posted:

Well this thread made me buy TBZ and I'm considering going for the $10 GSS kickstarter. I would have gone for the $25 for physical copy but I don't live in the states and the shipping cost is going to kill me, le sigh.

Can't wait for Meikyuu Kingdom! (Please?)

On that note, does the Japanese version of the MK books have ISBN numbers I can use if I want to try to get Kinokuniya to import it or something?
Kingdom Book is ISBN978-4-904413-05-0
Dungeon Book is ISBN978-4-904413-06-7

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mikan posted:

Mine came in today :smug:

If you've got time to gloat, you've got time to ship my copy of Last Stand! :argh:

Director's Commentary is pretty great, especially for something as weird as translating an RPG, let alone developing one. I'd like to see more of this stuff in my RPG bonuses.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Got my TBZ books yesterday, they really are gorgeous (and crazy well packed too!). Now I need to figure out something cool to do with my furoshiki and stuff :3:

Bigopinion
May 26, 2006

EAT THE HEART TO
GAIN ITS POWERS
Oh hey I didn't know this was a thread on the forums, thanks Google.

I've been GM'ing a TBZ game over Google Hangout with some of the TBZ G+ community folks. We've put our sessions on Youtube but each video is something to the tune of 2 hours long...I haven't had the opportunity to make a proper highlight reel yet. I'd be willing to run another one if anyone's interested, likely starting in two weeks. I'll post exact dates and times when we get closer to the date.

I'm also starting up a play-by-post session with some other G+ people...it'll be an experiment because TBZ is very much a live-session game. It can be played async via forums easily enough, but Aiki might have to be handled differently, I don't know yet. Same with the hangout sessions, if anyone's interested I'll post details closer to when that game gets started.

I'll probably be diving into Golden Sky Stories and hosting hangout sessions for it as well once the PDFs go out and I've some time to sleep on the rules.

Yo I like JPTRPGs a lot apparently. Really wish we had a working translation for Tenra WAR because the setting sounds like a hot steamy mess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I got my TBZ set in yesterday, very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Bigopinion posted:

Oh hey I didn't know this was a thread on the forums, thanks Google.

I've been GM'ing a TBZ game over Google Hangout with some of the TBZ G+ community folks. We've put our sessions on Youtube but each video is something to the tune of 2 hours long...I haven't had the opportunity to make a proper highlight reel yet. I'd be willing to run another one if anyone's interested, likely starting in two weeks. I'll post exact dates and times when we get closer to the date.

I'm also starting up a play-by-post session with some other G+ people...it'll be an experiment because TBZ is very much a live-session game. It can be played async via forums easily enough, but Aiki might have to be handled differently, I don't know yet. Same with the hangout sessions, if anyone's interested I'll post details closer to when that game gets started.

I'll probably be diving into Golden Sky Stories and hosting hangout sessions for it as well once the PDFs go out and I've some time to sleep on the rules.

Yo I like JPTRPGs a lot apparently. Really wish we had a working translation for Tenra WAR because the setting sounds like a hot steamy mess.

Mind linking the channel? It sounds like it would make decent background material.

• Locked thread