Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Is anyone a big enough fan of Jimmy Olsen to care about this? I mean, really?

Yeah of course. Jimmy is one the best characters. He gets to have Superman-sized adventures with none of the responsability.
So Jenny Olsen better get an ultrasonic watch and be his Pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah of course. Jimmy is one the best characters. He gets to have Superman-sized adventures with none of the responsability.
So Jenny Olsen better get an ultrasonic watch and be his Pal.

This is kinda what I was getting at with my question. In all the past movies and TV shows Jimmy is pretty much just a named bystander to get in danger and complicate Superman's rescues; there's little of the true "Superman's Pal" sense of adventure and camaraderie, the ersatz Iolaus to his Hercules, though they usually get his essential buoyant enthusiasm. The change from Jimmy to Jenny is almost immaterial compared to whether they actually do anything with the character besides have her dangle from a cliff at an inopportune moment.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 16, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's an element I really do wish they'd embrace. One of the greatest moments in comic book history for me was him and Lana declaring that no one loved Superman more than them as they went to fight forces predicted by the future that would kill the big guy. Jimmy deserves more than what he gets drat it, even if he is a she now! Which is fine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only time I ever saw Jimmy have any sort of role in anything Superman related (I don't follow the comics, mind) was in the Ruby-Spears cartoon where he and Lois often did reporting work together with Clark. Man, do I love that hokey cartoon.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This showed up on Facebook:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I love the look on his face. "... can I help you with something?" :raise:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The score sounds -so good- on Imax (and the 3D doesn't look bad). Trailer before Star trek today.

However, since it's so heavy percussion-y, I expect to hear a lot of complaints about it being "loud noise with no tune" and similar from some people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyges posted:

Did he then super yell her deaf right before flying out the window to torment Jimmy Olsen?

No but there was a scene I remember of him using his superhands to move at superspeed and heat up some sort of door stopper and then putting her hand on it and burning her on purpose. Then she was like you just heated in up in the stove that doesn't prove anything.

I really wish I could find out what issue of Superman it was it was a really older book.

Edit: Wow I love the internet. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_96

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is why Superman is awesome. He could cure being blind since 1955. Goddamn.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Possibly my favorite Superman comic that no one remembers is Superman Adventures #36 or so. A story called "This Is a Job For Superman."

It starts with a young boy at his window, talking about his lost dog and hoping that Superman can hear him. His parents say "well, I'm sorry, son, but Superman's got so much to do." And the story follows Superman around the span of a single night as he tries to be there for everyone - sometimes successfully, sometimes not, sometimes in the role of cop, other times as rescuer, other times still as justice advocate (he strides to stop an innocent man from being executed.)

At the end of the story, the dog's come back. We never see Superman find the dog or return it, so maybe the dog came back on its own. But the boy believes, 100%, that Superman took the time to find his dog and bring it home. Because Superman is the kind of guy that would do that without a moment's hesitation or excuse-making, and this kid knows it.

For some, it'll be on the far side of too mawkish. But I love it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

No but there was a scene I remember of him using his superhands to move at superspeed and heat up some sort of door stopper and then putting her hand on it and burning her on purpose. Then she was like you just heated in up in the stove that doesn't prove anything.

I really wish I could find out what issue of Superman it was it was a really older book.

Edit: Wow I love the internet. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_96

Why not just fly her way up in the air and drop her in the ocean or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously Pagan? This is the DC universe in the 1950s. Who the hell didn't have an anti gravity belt and rocket shoes?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't care about anything that could say the fans, Jenny is lovely :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Why not just fly her way up in the air and drop her in the ocean or something.

Granted it's been like probably literally 25 years since I read it but I remember the flying thing being discounted that he was just blowing a fan on her to replicate the sensation.

I just find it so loving funny that Superman just has to prove he is real to this little girl.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I know people have said this a lot, but that is one drat luxurious cape. I want to touch it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Possibly my favorite Superman comic that no one remembers is Superman Adventures #36 or so. A story called "This Is a Job For Superman."

It starts with a young boy at his window, talking about his lost dog and hoping that Superman can hear him. His parents say "well, I'm sorry, son, but Superman's got so much to do." And the story follows Superman around the span of a single night as he tries to be there for everyone - sometimes successfully, sometimes not, sometimes in the role of cop, other times as rescuer, other times still as justice advocate (he strides to stop an innocent man from being executed.)

At the end of the story, the dog's come back. We never see Superman find the dog or return it, so maybe the dog came back on its own. But the boy believes, 100%, that Superman took the time to find his dog and bring it home. Because Superman is the kind of guy that would do that without a moment's hesitation or excuse-making, and this kid knows it.

For some, it'll be on the far side of too mawkish. But I love it.

You want to hear something frightning? Guess who wrote that? Mark "Writes only for his comics to be made into movies" Miller.

Also if he does not try to teach Jimmy, Lois, or Perry a leason it is not Superman :colbert:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thwomp posted:

So is it bad that I'm ridiculously stoked for this movie? I haven't been this excited for a film in years.

I'm so jaded from earlier burns though. :ohdear:

I don't even know what it is about Superman but I can barely contain my anticipation. Like if this is bad I don't think I can never enjoy another movie again :v:

My earliest memories are watching all the superman movies on VHS over and over again at my minders house. I even remember thinking IV was a great movie as a 6 year old.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thwomp posted:

So is it bad that I'm ridiculously stoked for this movie? I haven't been this excited for a film in years.

I'm so jaded from earlier burns though. :ohdear:

I never cared about Superman at all, and then I saw the Russel Crowe teaser last year, and ever since then I have been unbelievably hyped for this film.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen a movie opening night/day in years. I will for this one, and I'm almost 30. :negative:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

The score sounds -so good- on Imax (and the 3D doesn't look bad). Trailer before Star trek today.

However, since it's so heavy percussion-y, I expect to hear a lot of complaints about it being "loud noise with no tune" and similar from some people.

I prefer the phrase "Aural Wallpaper Chord Progressions with Drum Corps Battery Percussion Licks" myself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I see that we got Eyelasers now I am just wondering if we will get Superbreath. I really hope they don't take that away.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

I see that we got Eyelasers now I am just wondering if we will get Superbreath. I really hope they don't take that away.

In one of the TV spots we see a fighter jet seemingly get blown out of the sky. You can't tell why, but I assume it's Superbreath.

A gif:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I have to ask, is the reason people like the old Superman movie primarily nostalgia? I watched the first one yesterday, and it was kinda bad. Kinda real bad. The first hour was hopelessly tedious, everything about the antagonist was laughably bad (his only two henchmen are a bumbling retard and a pin-up secretary who constantly gives him poo poo?), his "grand scheme" was insane in the worst way (The greatest crime in history was a real estate scam? Really?) and Lois's monologue asking Superman if he can read her thoughts were just terrible, and the whole ending was just superbad, even by silver age standards. There were some glimts of greatness, mostly from Marlon Brando, but I just can't understand why so many people remember this as a good movie. What am I missing? Even as a pretty big Superman fan, this movie was terrible.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, any movie three decades old is going to be held together with a hefty dose of nostalgia. You can't say that the effects are going to be on par with a modern movie. But Reeve WAS Superman so perfectly, and the movie, despite its flaws, hits the right notes in the right order. Unless you're the type to watch a movie for its production values, Reeve as Superman on screen is worth every second for his cheerful boyscout attitude and charm. The tagline "You'll believe a man can fly" is not about special effects of the day, but about impeccable casting.

The movie itself is Superman to the core, distilled into visual essence. After the Jor-El monologue talking at Clark, the scene of Reeve standing in the fortress for a beat before flying at the camera is about as iconic as you can get. That's always going to be my takeaway shot from the flick. A close second is the whole helicopter bit. It's the "saves the airplane" bit from Superman Returns, but in the original. The swell of the score, the shirt rip, the crowd watching, and the whole thing.

Say what you want about spinning the earth backward ending, the bit where Lois dies and he's holding her for a few moments, puts her down as he's shaking his head before tearing off into space with that agonized scream is ACTING.

The land plot is hokey, but I can forgive that because I'm watching some good characters on screen. I'm more concerned about how the story is told than the story itself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also I found Marlon Brando to be one of the worst parts of it as he was obviously there just for the paycheck and was not trying at all.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
He had some wonderful lines that were completely phoned in. They needed a name attached to the movie to help give it some credence, though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

McCloud posted:

I have to ask, is the reason people like the old Superman movie primarily nostalgia? I watched the first one yesterday, and it was kinda bad. Kinda real bad. The first hour was hopelessly tedious, everything about the antagonist was laughably bad (his only two henchmen are a bumbling retard and a pin-up secretary who constantly gives him poo poo?), his "grand scheme" was insane in the worst way (The greatest crime in history was a real estate scam? Really?) and Lois's monologue asking Superman if he can read her thoughts were just terrible, and the whole ending was just superbad, even by silver age standards. There were some glimts of greatness, mostly from Marlon Brando, but I just can't understand why so many people remember this as a good movie. What am I missing? Even as a pretty big Superman fan, this movie was terrible.

I guess you just have terrible taste.

But seriously, its awesome but it is an older movie and maybe you just dont connect to it. As a huge Superman fan, I think its wonderful, it gets so many things about the character right and Christopher Reeve is great in it. As a movie, I think its tremendous. Nearly every director who made good superhero movies since mentions it as an inspiration because its so well put. Its basic now, but back then, making a Superman movie that wouldnt be Adam West-tinged was unheard of. They were doing a really new thing.

But yeah, the greatest crime in history is a real estate scam because Lex Luthor will mass murder a state to sell the land later. Christopher Nolan's Joker is peanuts next to this guy.

I dont know what you were missing but I have to ask, how did you expect a movie from that time to be like?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Maybe I'm just a cynic but the trailer I saw in the cinema today seemed to suggest this is going to the most :911: Superman ever.

I know Superman has always leaned towards super patriotism but still.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Maybe I'm just a cynic but the trailer I saw in the cinema today seemed to suggest this is going to the most :911: Superman ever.

Is he going to tell us to Slap a Jap and buy warbonds?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

What's wrong with truth, justice, and the American way?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Re: the first Superman movie, you also have to consider the music.

I haven't seen the new Superman film but the music is nowhere near as good as the original Superman movie (at least judging by the music previews, sure it sounds nice but it's not the same). Old John Williams soundtracks remain unmatched today; they're iconic and 99% of films don't come close to them.

As an example - off the top of your head, can you hum the theme to Avatar? The Nolan Batman films? Ask a random person, and odds are they don't remember a drat thing about the music. Ask someone to hum Star Wars, the theme to Jaws, the Superman theme, the Indiana Jones theme, and they'll remember instantly.

The music from then is more memorable after 30 loving years than most movies from a year ago are. And this isn't a case of 'remember because of rewatching' -- when the first Superman movie came out people were humming that theme and had it stuck in their heads immediately.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McCloud posted:

I have to ask, is the reason people like the old Superman movie primarily nostalgia? I watched the first one yesterday, and it was kinda bad. Kinda real bad. The first hour was hopelessly tedious,

What are you looking for in a Superman movie? I thought the movie was wonderful until Luthor showed up, and it turned more Silver Age goofy. Also odd that you thought Brando was great since he looked like he was going to fall asleep while delivering his lines.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goreld posted:

I haven't seen the new Superman film but the music is nowhere near as good as the original Superman movie. Old John Williams soundtracks remain unmatched today; they're iconic and 99% of films don't come close to them.

As an example - off the top of your head, can you hum the theme to Avatar? The Nolan Batman films? Ask a random person, and odds are they don't remember a drat thing about the music. Ask someone to hum Star Wars, the theme to Jaws, the Superman theme, the Indiana Jones theme, and they'll remember instantly.

The music from then is more memorable after 30 loving years than most movies from a year ago are. And this isn't a case of 'remember because of rewatching' -- when the first Superman movie came out people were humming that theme and had it stuck in their heads immediately.

Thanks, I now have it stuck in my head. Also that reminds me that the dvd has an option to have just a music only audio track. I really need to watch that sometime.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Regarding the music, it helps that a lot of what you listed was probably done by John Williams who is a legend. Like all of them. Raiders of the Lost Ark was him, Jaws was him, Star Wars was him, Superman was him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, you even pointed that very fact out and I missed that line.

Thwomp posted:

America lost their way. We took a left turn on the way to Myrtle Beach and ended up somewhere not so good.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Thwomp posted:

The fact it's not stoicism, stiff upper lips and the British way :britain:

In fact, we need a Captain Britain movie. Written by Stephen Moffat and starring most of Downton Abbey and Hollyoaks.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Goreld posted:

I haven't seen the new Superman film but the music is nowhere near as good as the original Superman movie (at least judging by the music previews, sure it sounds nice but it's not the same). Old John Williams soundtracks remain unmatched today; they're iconic and 99% of films don't come close to them.

It's fairly interesting that you essentially picked out a body of work by John Williams from the biggest cultural event blockbusters in the 70s and from an entire different school of thought on incidental film scoring.

Zimmer music tends to be pretty memorable when intended to be, though. The Rock?

And Nolan Batman films also have memorable themes if nothing quite as iconic as Batman '89.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

America lost their way. We took a left turn on the way to Myrtle Beach and ended up somewhere not so good.

Funnily enough, I think this movie may make more of America's current state vs the classic Superman outlook than any of the older Superman movies.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Goreld posted:

Didn't I write a paragraph on this earlier in the thread?

1) "Hummability" is not an indicator of quality, it's an indicator of repetition, memory, and a certain type of structure, which is why, for instance, people remember the choruses to every song and forget the tunes.

2) Event movies rarely have an opening scroll any more. -That's- the part of a score that is normally scored most like a "song," it's played where that's the -only- thing people are paying attention to on screen, and it's normally repeated again at the end.

Star Wars and Superman have the longest opening scrolls in history, with similar themes playing over 5 and 6 films. You know how Batman Begins starts? Some bats flutter on the screen in a vaguely bat-symbol shape and disperse.

3) Movies don't have the same amount of score - tie - in marketing that the largest event movies in the 80s did. You don't have a billion commercials like this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqvqlgUtpI ) playing in between the films and shown 100 times a day to drill sections of the scores into your head. You don't have cartoons like this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1x632BzSQ ) that use versions of themes to drill songs in your heads.

All of that repetition is normally what adds to make scores "memorable," which is why the most "memorable' scores jussssst happen to always be the the most marketed films.

Call girl handled most of the rest.

But, yes, Zimmer and Williams are two very effective opposites on schools of film scoring (although there is a lot of crossover with both doing other styles when they want to). Zimmer uses a lot of rising chords, with pieces getting more and more layered as they progress, heavy with background percussion, and relatively "quick" motifs. That's technically harder to "hum" because much of the effect is in the layering and tones and not in the tune, as opposed to Williams where people normally just "hum" the lead-tune brass.

Finally, a TON of modern films have easily hummable and recognizable scores. The problem is, if you don't like the film that much, you aren't going to associate the score with anything good, so you aren't going to remember it, unless you reallllly listen to scores.

For example, I'm not a huge Jablonski fan in the slightest, but the lead themes for Transformers are very memorable, and essentially are the mid-point between score stylings. If those movies had the same type of marketing as the comparative blockbusters of the 80s, you'd remember those themes just as well. But you probably didn't like them that much, so you didn't notice.

Examples:

Autobots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac
Optimus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Ji4Taw3aE

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darko posted:

What are you looking for in a Superman movie? I thought the movie was wonderful until Luthor showed up, and it turned more Silver Age goofy. Also odd that you thought Brando was great since he looked like he was going to fall asleep while delivering his lines.

You know what, I'm not quite sure. It's hard to put into words exactly why I didn't like the movie, but it's not just the silver age goofyness, although that is a big reason why I didn't like it. I mean, I was comparing it alot to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and it just doesn't stack up. I think the first two acts, Krypton and Smallville, were too drawn out, and at times very boring. I did like Chris Reeves Superman though, and his supporting cast. And when I say I liked Brando, I mostly meant that I really liked some of his lines. Even I think the "They can be a great people, Kal-El" scene was great. I also really liked the music.

I guess one of the big complaints I have is that you never forget that this is a comic book movie, if that makes sense. Lois is a famous awardwinning journalist but when she interviews Superman she turns into a groupie whose first question is if he's single, and then asks how big he is... Then she falls totally in love with him after knowing him for 2 minutes. Lois reminded me of a lovestruck schoolgirl more than a hard as nails reporter. I also felt Superman revealing himself to the world didn't quite have the impact it should have. People cheered a bit and that was it, the fact that a flying man in a red cape showed up out of nowhere didn't seem to faze that many people, outside of a few comic gags. I know this is in the 70's and poo poo is campy as all hell, but still.
I also hated Luthor. He and Otis were like a god drat 80's cartoon villain. It's hard to take him seriously and as a threat when he squabbles with Otis and Tessmacher all the time. It's just a bit contrived.

I'll be watching Superman 2 and 3 next week. I vaguely remember 2 being at least a bit better than 1, and the third one was downright good, I think. It has been over a decade since I saw them though, so we'll see..

• Locked thread