Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That reminds me of one time that I got summoned into Anor Londo and found my host in the middle of a fight for his life against an opponent I couldn't see. I thought it was some sort of bug and spammed pyromancy and swung my weapon in the general direction of where the host was facing, but to no avail. My host died a terrible death and I was returned to my world.

A few seconds later I get a message saying "lol I hit Solaire by accident while I was summoning u"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Fenrir posted:

No patch here yet either :911:

Patch is live here and it's glorious :japan:

Hang in there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I ever find the rear end in a top hat who is gravelording the Chasm of the Abyss I am going to do an IRL super-saiyan murderdeathkill on his/her rear end. I've searched everywhere but with the glitch it's impossible, I could be right next to the sign and never know it. Phantoms become liabilities because apparently no one is expecting giant red dudes in the inky depths. I just want to kill Manus+, gosh.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

MediumWellDone posted:

Patch is live here and it's glorious :japan:

Hang in there.

Are there any patch notes or something to indicate what they changed?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Gravelording in Oolacile anywhere apparently covers the whole level. They're probably at the bonfire past Artorias.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chard posted:

If I ever find the rear end in a top hat who is gravelording the Chasm of the Abyss I am going to do an IRL super-saiyan murderdeathkill on his/her rear end. I've searched everywhere but with the glitch it's impossible, I could be right next to the sign and never know it. Phantoms become liabilities because apparently no one is expecting giant red dudes in the inky depths. I just want to kill Manus+, gosh.
How's that Chained Prisoner on that narrow ledge treatin' ya? :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^^^^ If you time it right, dropping down to the path to Sif will launch him off the cliff and into the (heh) abyss.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Gravelording in Oolacile anywhere apparently covers the whole level. They're probably at the bonfire past Artorias.

No you don't understand. I have searched. EVERYWHERE. From Artorias to Manus. I'm thinking this dude has parked himself on some one-pixel ledge and just left the game running.

The red Prisoners aren't so terrible except that they're loving HP wells and it makes getting to the fog door either a slog or a mad dash past things that can one-shot me. Blah.

Chard fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2013

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
So I finally beat Gwyn on my first play though (soul spears and Solaire :black101:), but didn't realize you keep your levels in NG+ :doh:.
I am glad the game can still be bullshit even when you know where to go/ what to do.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 17, 2013

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Are there any patch notes or something to indicate what they changed?

I think it's just to fix the flicker. I didn't see anything standing out as game changing on the official release notes.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Jesus why are Black Knights with sword and shield so drat hard to parry? I can parry the long lunge pretty consistently, but I can't get the timing for the downward slash at all. I try watching their hand and it's not helping. Is that one of the weird attacks where I need to parry as soon as it winds up?

edit: Also, is there a trick to backstabbing that I'm not understanding? I swear to god I finally hit this fucker in the back and it just swings like normal right into his spine.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Honey Badger posted:

Jesus why are Black Knights with sword and shield so drat hard to parry? I can parry the long lunge pretty consistently, but I can't get the timing for the downward slash at all. I try watching their hand and it's not helping. Is that one of the weird attacks where I need to parry as soon as it winds up?

edit: Also, is there a trick to backstabbing that I'm not understanding? I swear to god I finally hit this fucker in the back and it just swings like normal right into his spine.

You can't be holding block, you've got to drop your guard to backstab. Also, you have to be facing the same direction as them - the sweet spot is not necessarily directly behind them at all times.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You can't backstab with your shield up, and there are also recovery frames of a sort, a short period after you lower your shield where you can attack but can't backstab. Also, don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure what constitutes a "back" is asymmetrical, and the right side of an enemy's back is easier to backstab than the left.

As for the parry issue, no idea. I always found the sword knights easiest to parry.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

AnonSpore posted:

You can't backstab with your shield up, and there are also recovery frames of a sort, a short period after you lower your shield where you can attack but can't backstab. Also, don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure what constitutes a "back" is asymmetrical, and the right side of an enemy's back is easier to backstab than the left.

As for the parry issue, no idea. I always found the sword knights easiest to parry.

Ah, having my shield up explains it.

For the downward slash, when should I be parrying? I try to watch the hand and wait until it's about to connect, but my parry whiffs every time. The running lunge I can parry pretty well, but that slash timing is weird for some reason.

edit: Also, is it possible to get Black Phantom Kirk's armor if I missed his invasion in the Depths, or do I have to wait until NG+? I was Hollow at that point and didn't realize I missed out on an event. Will he show up if I go back there now as a human, or am I just out of luck for this run?

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 17, 2013

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

That might be me... I've been bored and gravelording all day, and mostly in the chasm or the tomb of the giants. :shobon:

e: and about an hour or so in blighttown.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Fenrir posted:

That might be me... I've been bored and gravelording all day, and mostly in the chasm or the tomb of the giants. :shobon:

e: and about an hour or so in blighttown.

You are what makes Lordran a magical place to be.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there an invasion spawn point near the AL archers? Sounds like it might be funny.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

actionjackson posted:

Is there an invasion spawn point near the AL archers? Sounds like it might be funny.

There's an invasion spawn point just outside the big doors to the cathedral. You can catch people coming up the big staircase or, if you're mean, go to the archers and fire dragon bow arrows with the other knights. :)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have yet to invade someone that hasn't passed the archers.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
You can definitely spawn right by the AL archers. I had a guy invade my game right before the big staircase. I locked on, ready to engage (trying to stay out of sight of the archers), and the bastard ran right up the stairs and disappeared around the corner. I was like, "oh, he wouldn't. Would he? No one is that awful, right?"

I wait a while. No message appears telling me he left, or died, or whatever. He was up there waiting. No sense standing around all day; It's not like I couldn't get back here if I died.

I made it up to the halfway point, peeked around both corners, and he was nowhere. For a moment I thought the game glitched.

I made my way around to sprint to the first archer, hoping I could deal with the archer when I got there. Well, I never got there--an arrow managed to clock my skull, and just before I fell to my death I swung the camera around, and saw the phantom, standing right the gently caress behind the right archer, spamming the shrug animation.

Dark Souls.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
To pop in front of the cathedral in AL you can just invade from the tomb bonfire.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you invade from the ledge outside of the inner Anor Londo/Solaire bonfire, the one you drop onto after passing the Silver Knight archers, that will spawn you on the intermediate ledge/platform thing with the bat demons right before the archers.

A Rabid Llama
Aug 19, 2003

Donkey PUNCH

cheetah7071 posted:

Just roll backwards away from his sword swings, and punish grabs and kicks. Way easier than parrying in my opinion.

The answer to the "Gwyn with just a whip" puzzle actually ended up being punishing his jump attack. Roll into it, use the while-rolling two-handed R1, combo into standing two-handed R1 since he always jumps away. Run away from everything else. Using the pillars as heal-shields was pretty key as well.

The dark lord ending takes on an even more sinister tone when you're pretending you just killed Dracula...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well they seem to have fixed the flickering glitch on PS3. Just in time too, since I just bought the PS3 version. :v:

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

Ah, having my shield up explains it.

For the downward slash, when should I be parrying? I try to watch the hand and wait until it's about to connect, but my parry whiffs every time. The running lunge I can parry pretty well, but that slash timing is weird for some reason.

edit: Also, is it possible to get Black Phantom Kirk's armor if I missed his invasion in the Depths, or do I have to wait until NG+? I was Hollow at that point and didn't realize I missed out on an event. Will he show up if I go back there now as a human, or am I just out of luck for this run?

I wouldn't recommend practicing your parries against black knights -- go for backstabs instead. There will be plenty of time to practice parrying on the silver knights, man-serpents, etc. Going for BSs will also help you learn how to dodge better in the early game. And remember -- you don't have to be locked on to BS. Some enemies are slow enough that you can just sprint behind them, pivot, and BS while they're still sluggishly swinging at you (this can work in pvp, too).

Re: Kirk -- If you beat the gaping dragon, then it's too late.

edit:
nevermind

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 17, 2013

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Well they seem to have fixed the flickering glitch on PS3. Just in time too, since I just bought the PS3 version. :v:

Isn't fixed for me, but I haven't been prompted to download a new patch either so I dunno. Are you in the US?

Also, am I the only one that wishes this game had discoverable lore and such? The game world is beautiful, and while a lot of it seems like just generic fantasy tropes at first, for some reason I love the atmosphere and the characters. Not sure what makes this so different from other fantasy settings (maybe all the despair?) but between the really awesome but lonely vistas, the perfect soundtrack, and the really creepy voice acting, it just works.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Honey Badger posted:

Also, am I the only one that wishes this game had discoverable lore and such?
But it...uh... does? A lot?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Honey Badger posted:

Also, am I the only one that wishes this game had discoverable lore and such? The game world is beautiful, and while a lot of it seems like just generic fantasy tropes at first, for some reason I love the atmosphere and the characters. Not sure what makes this so different from other fantasy settings (maybe all the despair?) but between the really awesome but lonely vistas, the perfect soundtrack, and the really creepy voice acting, it just works.

There's plenty of this and that in lore but no complete history from creation to extinction*, and I like that mystery of it. It's welcome to not be served (absolutely) everything on a plate for once, my taste in games thinks.

*(Besides the obvious tale of how poo poo went down bad, dragons - undead - gwyn - etc)

(I kinda would like some official writing on the planet that has Lordran on it, some idea of wtf's going on in geology and ecology. Tsutomu Nihei would be just about perfect, if he could get into it, maybe he's too cyberpunk to go fantasy.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 17, 2013

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Honey Badger posted:

Isn't fixed for me, but I haven't been prompted to download a new patch either so I dunno. Are you in the US?

Spend some time reading item descriptions and making connections next time you play. :)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Don't forget to read the spell descriptions as well. You learn such fun facts, like that Havel loving hates magic and that's why he gave us the gift of laughing at dark sorcery characters.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nahxela posted:

If you invade from the ledge outside of the inner Anor Londo/Solaire bonfire, the one you drop onto after passing the Silver Knight archers, that will spawn you on the intermediate ledge/platform thing with the bat demons right before the archers.

Cool, thanks.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Forgall posted:

But it...uh... does? A lot?

Aside from really vague NPC dialogue and item descriptions, what else is there? I mean I agree that I don't want to know everything about everything because that's part of the charm, but it would be cool to have a couple flavorful books or NPC journals and such lying around to peruse.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

As they have just said, item descriptions. Item descriptions and dialogue from NPCs is how you get the lore. And there's quite a lot of it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The item descriptions may be vague, but taken as a whole together with their locations, they actually provides a ton of opportunities for food for thought and piecing things together.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Sarkozymandias posted:

You are what makes Lordran a magical place to be.

I'm just doing my part to make Dark Souls the best experience it can be :shobon:

Also, if anyone gets gravelorded on PS3 today in the DLC, that might be me again :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have any idea why I don't seem to be on Online mode on PS3? It doesn't say anything about me being in Offline mode when starting, and I can place my sign and use orbs, but I can't invade/be invaded, and there aren't even any orange signs on the ground.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

Might anyone on the PS3 version have a Demon Titanite to spare? I died to a Prowling Demon in Sen's right after I killed his buddy and didn't pick up the dropped titanite. I'm assuming it's gone now (I turned the game off in frustration so I haven't made it back) Counting the demon that's still there, I'll be one DT short of maxing out my Golem Axe- which is more fun than it has any right to be- until the next Prowling Demon, which seems to be a ways off going by my guide book.

I did try to make it back to reclaim my 10 dropped humanity at least but a dang old serpent mage bumped me into a pendulum and I fell to my death again. :darksouls: flashed in my mind's eye and I decided it was probably a good time to turn it off and walk away.

I'm level 76.

Admiral Lasers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 17, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Admiral Lasers posted:

Might anyone on the PS3 version have a Demon Titanite to spare? I died to a Prowling Demon in Sen's right after I killed his buddy and didn't pick up the dropped titanite. I'm assuming it's gone now (I turned the game off in frustration so I haven't made it back) Counting the demon that's still there, I'll be one DT short of maxing out my Golem Axe- which is more fun than it has any right to be- until the next Prowling Demon, which seems to be a ways off going by my guide book.

I did try to make it back to reclaim my 10 dropped humanity at least but a dang old serpent mage bumped me into a pendulum and I fell to my death again. :darksouls: flashed in my mind's eye and I decided it was probably a good time to turn it off and walk away.

I'm around level 80, I think.

There's a respawning Titanite Demon in an area later. If you ever see one drop 2 Demon Titanite, you'll know that's the one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anor Londo has a ton of demon titanite in it. There's also trading with Snuggly for two more. I think that should cover it if that's the only thing you're gonna upgrade.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

Oh, I know I'll be able to get more DT later, I was just in the mood to try out the axe in some forest PVP today.

Edit: I forgot about trading with snugly, that ought to do it! thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is it actually easier to pull of a parry with some of the small shields, like target and buckler? I've seen them used in some PvP videos.

• Locked thread