Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In case people didn't know, I guess the locals in Scottsdale call the place "Crazy Amy's". they should totes just change the name of the restaurant to "Crazy Amy's" and make it like open air kitchen, american "teppanyaki" style dining. Dinner and a show. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

As amusing as their insanity is in this whole situation, those are the types of people who should not be rewarded for their behavior with a TV show. Unfortunately, it's poo poo like this that actually DOES invite reality TV producers to create something. I honestly hope they live and die by their sociopathy and don't become any more of celebrities than they already are.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

In case people didn't know, I guess the locals in Scottsdale call the place "Crazy Amy's". they should totes just change the name of the restaurant to "Crazy Amy's" and make it like open air kitchen, american "teppanyaki" style dining. Dinner and a show. :munch:

Where the owners are, "INNN-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNEEEEEE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYGoO5imyY

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Where the owners are, "INNN-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNEEEEEE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYGoO5imyY

:golfclap:

I miss that man! I used to see his ads on PIX.

PIX PIX PIX PIX

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well the wiki page on Eddie Antar sure is enlightening.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Well the wiki page on Eddie Antar sure is enlightening.

Indeed. Just for the record, the guy in the commercials isn't him, I'm pretty sure.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

for the naysayers who say Gordon never likes the food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WYbDYGEAI&t=5s

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
How much coke did they give Richard Blais before recording this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiK9_XQq228

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dane posted:

How much coke did they give Richard Blais before recording this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiK9_XQq228

lol gently caress :(

richard blais was a huge inspiration for me ~10-12 years ago. the atlanta "fine" dining scene was mostly a wasteland, aside from his off and on (genius) failures of restaurants, and people like guenter seeger and joël antunes and such.

now adays it's almost too much to see him coked out, or at least sort of insane and riding the corporate sponsorship bandwagon off into infinity. I watched a couple episodes of 'life after top chef', and had to stop because he basically was just fighting with his wife a lot and I don't really want to watch my teenage cooking idol denigrate himself into a shithole on national television.

goddamnit blais get it together.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Any good, interesting eats in Austin you guys want to suggest? Not familiar with the town as much as I'd like to be and would like something in the vein of a gastropub-ish (read: great food, not fine dining.)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a handy little guide to some good food in Austin...if you aren't interested in those specific dishes highlighted, I'm sure these places would have sometime you'd enjoy.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I may or may not have squeed at work when I read this. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/16/184553890/no-more-smuggling-many-cured-italian-meats-coming-to-america

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
This feature about a bunch of grandmas all over the world cooking for a dude reminds me how badly it sucks to have a grandma who grew up in the Midwest during the Great Depression and thus thinks all meat should be cooked until it has a texture best described as "cottony."

She could kick your grandma's rear end in a pie contest though. Yes, yours. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

This feature about a bunch of grandmas all over the world cooking for a dude reminds me how badly it sucks to have a grandma who grew up in the Midwest during the Great Depression and thus thinks all meat should be cooked until it has a texture best described as "cottony."

She could kick your grandma's rear end in a pie contest though. Yes, yours. :colbert:
I would hope so, my grandmother's cooking has spawned many stories, all in the "we'll laugh about this later" vein. Ever wondered what a pork loin tastes like after being cooked in a pressure cooker with the water replaced by equal parts ketchup and soy sauce? I can tell you.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Any chance of them lifting cured meats from Spain? Need to get me some jamon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Doh004 posted:

Any chance of them lifting cured meats from Spain? Need to get me some jamon.
You can get jamon in the US brah... gonna get some tonight

Also gonna get some jamon

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, I get pata negra regularly (well, as regularly as my budget allows) at my local wine and cheese shop, including a salchichón which is pretty phenomenal.

Daeren posted:

My grandma grew up in Iowa during the Great Depression, wore potato sack dresses and boiled picked bean ends for broth when times were bad. She was a fantastic cook and could fry a pork chop that would make a grown man weep at its perfection. Sounds like your grandma was just bad.

She also made the best black raspberry pies ever. drat I miss those pies.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Arlene Bjornson does porkchops in ketchup with added crushed pineapple on top. We keep telling her that pineapple is for ham but she just won't hear it!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well I mean, I kinda have to agree with Mrs. Bjornson on this one. Ham is just an oversalted pork chop, after all.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, I get pata negra regularly (well, as regularly as my budget allows) at my local wine and cheese shop, including a salchichón which is pretty phenomenal.

My grandma grew up in Iowa during the Great Depression, wore potato sack dresses and boiled picked bean ends for broth when times were bad. She was a fantastic cook and could fry a pork chop that would make a grown man weep at its perfection. Sounds like your grandma was just bad.

She also made the best black raspberry pies ever. drat I miss those pies.

Mine grew up as a sharecropper and made the most amazing biscuits and yeast rolls.

She was hypoglycemic and I gained weight when visiting her over the summer. Every meal she cooked something huge.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
All of my family are farmers, so they all know a thing or two about food. The best is all the pheasant I could possibly want when I visit. And all sorts of of livestock. You name it, one of them raises it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

You can get jamon in the US brah... gonna get some tonight

Also gonna get some jamon

Isn't it Jamon Serrano and not Iberico? (what's the difference?)

Have I been led astray this entire time? :stare:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Isn't it Jamon Serrano and not Iberico? (what's the difference?)

Have I been led astray this entire time? :stare:

They're just two types of jamon. But yes you can get iberico in the US from a multitude of vendors.

as has been alluded to, it is hilarious expensive, but you should be able to find it pretty easily (aren't you in NYC?).

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 17, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

They're just two types of jamon. But yes you can get iberico in the US from a multitude of vendors.

as has been alluded to, it is hilarious expensive, but you should be able to find it pretty easily (aren't you in NYC?).

Yeah, I just haven't looked that hard. I remember seeing an entire leg that I could purchase for some large sum of money online.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Doh004 posted:

Yeah, I just haven't looked that hard. I remember seeing an entire leg that I could purchase for some large sum of money online.

Mid-tier pata negra jamon goes for ~$125/pound retail here. I tend to buy just enough that I'm paying more for the meat than I am for the plastic it's wrapped in. Mostly I just get it in my wine class once in a while.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bartolimu posted:

Mid-tier pata negra jamon goes for ~$125/pound retail here. I tend to buy just enough that I'm paying more for the meat than I am for the plastic it's wrapped in. Mostly I just get it in my wine class once in a while.

I can get it closer to 90, but that's at work. Though, the guy we buy from would probably sell to me at the same price, if I really wanted some for home(or I can just eat it at work for free)

That is literally the best thing about this industry, I haven't had to cook breakfast or lunch at home in 5 years. And half the time I don't have to do dinner either.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

Any good, interesting eats in Austin you guys want to suggest? Not familiar with the town as much as I'd like to be and would like something in the vein of a gastropub-ish (read: great food, not fine dining.)

Check out Botticelli's on South Congress http://www.botticellissouthcongress.com/ It's a sentimental favorite of mine since I used to work there. They look like a little jewelbox from the street but there's an amazing outdoor bar in the back- just walk in the front door, walk all the way through the restaurant and to the right, and out the door. They're also right next to the Continental Club, which is one of the best music venues in town. If the same chef is there as when I left, the food is going to be great. Don't order the "botticelli breads" they're just bland calzones that the owners won't let anyone take off the menu. Whatever you see on the menu that doesn't belong there is probably what the cooks are psyched to make.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Mine grew up as a sharecropper and made the most amazing biscuits and yeast rolls.

She was hypoglycemic and I gained weight when visiting her over the summer. Every meal she cooked something huge.

My grandma on my dads side was a 1st generation Ukranian immigrant and we had lots of cool stuff from her and her husband.

Grandpa had 2 apple trees, two cherry trees, a pear tree, a big garden, the entire back edge of the lot covered in grape vines, and a big amount of horseradish.

This was on a mid sized city lot in East Aurora NY.

The other grandma was a hardcore alcoholic who could burn water.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I knew I saw a resemblance!

Seriously, in HD, this made me want to vomit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The granny recipes idea is terrific. Both of my grandmothers were pretty good cooks and bakers - my maternal was a particularly good baker, and paternal made excellent desserts: chocolate Swiss roll, chocolate soufflé, brandy snaps...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

On the Italian side of my family, my grandfather was the cook. Mostly my grandmother would stand around and complain; Livia Soprano always reminded me of her a lot.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
My grandma is a germaphobe and cooks everything until it is extremely dead. My mom picked that up for pork in particular - I thought I hated pork chops for a long time until I cooked them for myself. My gramma also makes the blandest savory tamales imaginable. She makes sweet ones with cinnamon and stuff that are delicious, though.

I'm allliiiive! And really loving glad I won't be taking any more journalism classes. I was made a section editor and it is stressful as gently caress.

I wish I was a schwa. They're never stressed.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
e;fb

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 20, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lyssavirus posted:

My grandma is a germaphobe and cooks everything until it is extremely dead. My mom picked that up for pork in particular - I thought I hated pork chops for a long time until I cooked them for myself. My gramma also makes the blandest savory tamales imaginable. She makes sweet ones with cinnamon and stuff that are delicious, though.

I'm allliiiive! And really loving glad I won't be taking any more journalism classes. I was made a section editor and it is stressful as gently caress.

I wish I was a schwa. They're never stressed.

What's a schwa?

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
It's this fantastic guy: ə.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It was a terrible joke about phonemes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I made my tomato "bolognese" yesterday in my enameled cast iron dutch oven instead of on the stove top because I was lazy.

It was good and so much easier.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Last night, to celebrate our first night of really being able to chill out around the table back home, I roasted a leg of goat, made tortillas, made beans, and a great big salad (something I missed in the UK). It was satisfying.

Had a spectacular time on the honeymoon. Ate wonderful things. Special thanks to people who recommended great places to go etc. Steakandchips, you were a wonderful gentleman, and thanks to you.

Standout meal of the trip, though, was after hopping around the Western Isles all day and pulling into Oban on the last ferry from Mull, having the best fish ever right off the boat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Now where are our wedding pictures?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the bakery behind me has loving great bread and they even game me a free little strawberry tart with it :3: