Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
YES. I love GBV and Pollard is definitely my favorite artist.

Here's a nifty link for the OP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au6N9sndaL9zdHRRMHNhMzkxWlVaRFVqTzlyTjBoX0E#gid=0

It's the "Alpha/Omega" of Pollard's discography, a no-repeats playlist. I've listened to 136 of them so far and I'm still plugging away.

It really bugs me though when people complain that Bob puts out "too much material" or that he needs an editor. Why does it bother people so much that someone who loves to make music, makes music? Who is it hurting? The fans aren't required to buy or even enjoy anything put out. If anything, Pollard assumes the greatest risk by possibly damaging his reputation if he puts out tons of crap (Hint: He doesn't.(Second hint: OK, maybe he has a few times, but it's way outweighed by the good)). In my mind, he's living as a true artist: in a constant state of creation and creativity. I wish I had his work ethic. At the end of the day he makes music for himself, and I love that.

But anyway, if you're feeling overwhelmed, feel free to ask me for recommendations! I can recommend albums or even specific songs to make a "Best Of" playlist. I've listened to almost all of the major stuff. I'm mostly missing bonus tracks and singles and the like. I will say that "Best Of" playlists can tend to lose the magic of his album sequencing. I can cherry pick the "best" songs off Alien Lanes for instance, but it's not going to be anywhere as good as listening to the album front to back. It's the weird, off-putting, and strange tracks sitting next to the sugary pop and soaring anthems that makes GBV and Pollard so unique. He hits the four P's: Pop, Punk, Psych, and Prog. There's really nothing like him in the music industry, and that's what keeps me coming back for more.

drat, that's a block of text already. If you can't tell, I'll gladly ramble about this all day.

Twee as gently caress posted:

As a thread, we should come up with lists of tracks to check out on those smaller releases, or the huge amount of outtakes/etc on stuff like Suitcase and Hardcore UFOs. I mean, just for Suitcase 1 to 3, it's 300 songs and frankly a lot of that material (on the third one anyway) feels like Bob just got drunk and had the tape rolling and stuff happened.

Yeah, I'm totally down for this.

EDIT: Also, check out the tentative release schedule for the rest of the year:

July 1st - Robert Pollard: Honey Locust Honky Tonk LP
July 1st - Teenage Guitar: Force Fields At Home LP
September - Circus Devils: When Machines Attack LP (with new Circus Devils T shirt)
Late 2013 - Eat 10
January 2014 - Robert Pollard: Blazing Gentleman LP

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robert-pollard-channels-country-in-i-killed-a-man-who-looks-like-you-20130507

RollingStone posted:

Robert Pollard is back, and this time, the prolific Guided By Voices leader evokes the spirit of Western music on his new album, Honey Locust Honky Tonk. On "I Killed a Man Who Looks Like You," Pollard shapes a somber tale of a ghost singing to himself in the mirror with shimmering, deliberate guitar strums and country's storytelling power.

"Honey Locust Honky Tonk is supposed to be a mock country album even though it's not country, although it is a little more straightforward than albums I typically make," Pollard tells Rolling Stone. "I was going to use a pseudonym – Cash Rivers."

Honey Locust Honky Tonk will be out July 1st worldwide and July 9th in North America.

Thanks for making this thread, Twee. I hadn't heard of them(I know), so I looked them up on spotify and have been listening to them ever since. I've been listening to Aerial Nostalgia through Mag Earwhig! pretty much any chance I can get. Making my way though the discography kinda fast, adding a new album each day. I'm enjoying almost all of it.

Are you from the Disarm the Settlers community, PopZues?

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Glug_Glug posted:

Are you from the Disarm the Settlers community, PopZeus?

Yup!

EDIT: Tracklist for new solo album here: http://www.middleboopmag.com/music/music-news/robert-pollard-releasing-new-album-honey-locust-honky-tonk

quote:

01. He Requested Things
02. Circus Green Machine
03. Strange And Pretty Day
04. Suit Minus The Middle
05. Drawing A Picture
06. Who Buries The Undertaker
07. She Hides In Black
08. Her Eyes Play Tricks On The Camera
09. Find A Word
10. I Have To Drink
11. Flash Gordon Style
12. Igloo Hearts
13. Shielding Whatever Needs You
14. I Killed A Man Who Looks Like You
15. Real Fun Is No One's Monopoly
16. It Disappears In The Least Likely Hands (We May Never Not Know)
17. Airs

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2013

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Pollard's solo albums are really some of his best work - but it can be time-consuming to give them the listening time to get into them I guess. I think Kid Marine, Normal Happiness, and especially From a Compound Eye are the best things he's ever done. Having said that I've barely listened to The Bears for Lunch or Class Clown Spots a UFO much less the new one yet.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Awesome, so we have two who are down in terms of looking at all the EPs and RP's solo stuff/collaborations. Who else wants to throw in? I'd say we'd need like 5 or 6 people to do it in a reasonable time-frame.

PopZeus posted:

Here's a nifty link for the OP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au6N9sndaL9zdHRRMHNhMzkxWlVaRFVqTzlyTjBoX0E#gid=0

It's the "Alpha/Omega" of Pollard's discography, a no-repeats playlist. I've listened to 136 of them so far and I'm still plugging away.

This is awesome I will definitely add this to the OP at some point, as well as add Alien Lanes because people agree its a must for new listeners, and maybe swap Do the Collapse with Isolation Drill, even though I think that at least 4 of thoe DtC tracks are absolute must and it gives an overall good idea of more modern GbV sound.

quote:

It really bugs me though when people complain that Bob puts out "too much material" or that he needs an editor. Why does it bother people so much that someone who loves to make music, makes music? Who is it hurting? The fans aren't required to buy or even enjoy anything put out. If anything, Pollard assumes the greatest risk by possibly damaging his reputation if he puts out tons of crap (Hint: He doesn't.(Second hint: OK, maybe he has a few times, but it's way outweighed by the good)). In my mind, he's living as a true artist: in a constant state of creation and creativity. I wish I had his work ethic. At the end of the day he makes music for himself, and I love that.

Oh I agree, I personally don't complain, the only thing is that, as I said, it's pretty much a full-time job just to keep up with Pollard, and it can be pretty scary for someone who wants to get into him when he realizes that he has literally 1,600 songs out there.

I mean:

quote:

EDIT: Also, check out the tentative release schedule for the rest of the year:

July 1st - Robert Pollard: Honey Locust Honky Tonk LP
July 1st - Teenage Guitar: Force Fields At Home LP
September - Circus Devils: When Machines Attack LP (with new Circus Devils T shirt)
Late 2013 - Eat 10
January 2014 - Robert Pollard: Blazing Gentleman LP

:stare:

Glug_Glug posted:

Thanks for making this thread, Twee. I hadn't heard of them(I know), so I looked them up on spotify and have been listening to them ever since. I've been listening to Aerial Nostalgia through Mag Earwhig! pretty much any chance I can get. Making my way though the discography kinda fast, adding a new album each day. I'm enjoying almost all of it.

Are you from the Disarm the Settlers community, PopZues?

I'm really glad at least one person discovered this band because of this thread! You've 100% justified making it for me. Also, thanks for that blurb, I'm really excited about the new album now.

I'm also on DtS myself but we'll have to tone down the discussion about it here, I'm afraid

Myron Baloney posted:

Pollard's solo albums are really some of his best work - but it can be time-consuming to give them the listening time to get into them I guess. I think Kid Marine, Normal Happiness, and especially From a Compound Eye are the best things he's ever done. Having said that I've barely listened to The Bears for Lunch or Class Clown Spots a UFO much less the new one yet.

You really really have to check out both of them, they are great album, and I think my favorite (for now) post-2011 GbV track so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVF_q1ZbU-4

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Myron Baloney posted:

I agree that his solo albums require a few more listens to sink in. Normal Happiness was a recent purchase for me. At first I thought the entire album was basically one big song. I didn't sense much variation. A few listens in though and I'm hooked (god, I just keep hitting repeat on "Get A Faceful.") The album as a whole is breezy and uplifting for me. It's a solid album but doesn't "wow" me too much. To use one of Pollard's favored descriptors, it's "creamy" rock.

For probably my favorite "creamy" Pollard album, check out Coast to Coast Carpet of Love. It's one of my go-to mood lifting albums. Tons of pop goodness and great melodies. You're spot on about FaCE. It's sprawling in tone and genre and probably best showcases Pollard's range. But again, I worry about recommending a double album like that to someone newer. I know the first time I heard Kensington Cradle I was like what the hell is this but now it's probably in the top 5 for me on FaCE.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Also, it makes me really saw how most of their early records are just basically ignored by most fans. It's like GbV began with, at best, Propeller, but really Bee Thousand

As I said in the OP, some of my favorite tracks are on Forever Since Breakfast, but I love all of their records before that. I think Sandbox is a masterpiece and has some of my favorite all-time GbV tracks as well.

Long Distance Man is pure mock 60s lo-fi perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVz3A9tk-1s

It's a better pop song in under 1:30 that most bands will ever achieve in their careers. You also have tracks like Lips of Steel, Everyday...

They are way overlooked and they shouldn't be :colbert:

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Long Distance Man is pure mock 60s lo-fi perfection.

Long Distance Man is a great song to play to people to trick them into thinking that GBV is a long lost band from the 60s. Another favorite is playing Acorns and Orioles to make people think it's a long lost REM track (seriously I thought Michael Stipe was guest-singing on that song for a while).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are literally hundreds of songs where GbV sound like a lost 60s band. That's like, their entire schtick (and appeal), isn't it?

I wouldn't say I've ever been mad about how much material Pollard releases, but I do think it's to his detriment that he does it, because (as people have said) it allows a lot of great songs to get "lost".

It's the musical equivalent of "needing an editor".

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Myron Baloney posted:

I'm actually listening to Kid Marine right now. Far-Out Crops has to be be one of my favorite songs by Robert Pollard yet(solo or GBV). It's a very poetic album. Just look at this:

Far-Out Crops posted:

Look to the outside
In the failing garden
In the backwash
Far-out crops
Single-minded erections
Not so observable
From the inside
You must listen
You must look
In a soft-shelled vehicle
Gaze through this book
See them!
In a closet of household items
In a forest of examples
And I'm taking samples
Clipping and saving
Far-out crops

Beautiful.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

precision posted:

I wouldn't say I've ever been mad about how much material Pollard releases, but I do think it's to his detriment that he does it, because (as people have said) it allows a lot of great songs to get "lost".

I don't know if they're really getting lost though. There's always a fan base that will find them and it's not like they'll ever break mainstream anyway. In any case, I think that's what Twee as gently caress wants to do with the overwhelming body of work: cull it down to something more approachable for those without the time or inclination to listen to everything.

Glug_Glug posted:

I'm actually listening to Kid Marine right now. Far-Out Crops has to be be one of my favorite songs by Robert Pollard yet(solo or GBV).

Submarine Teams is one of my all-time favorites. And I love the hilarious Far-Out Crops outro when he's just going full falsetto.

EDIT: Which reminds me that one thing I dig about Pollard is there's a great sense of humor running through his work, either in lyrics or vocal stylings. I've toyed around with creating a Pollard "comedy" compilation before with his goofy/lighter stuff.

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PopZeus posted:

I don't know if they're really getting lost though. There's always a fan base that will find them and it's not like they'll ever break mainstream anyway.

Yeah but, I mean, at a certain point, at least for me, I just won't listen to hundreds of his songs because I have thousands of bands to listen to already, and more every day.

The Legendary Pink Dots are very prolific too - about 50 albums worth of material over the past 30 years - and I haven't even listened to all of their stuff, and they're one of the best bands ever.

Most people I know tap out after getting maybe five or six GBV albums. There's just too much music in the world. Even people I know who've listened to "most" of his output have listened to 90% of it exactly once and filed it away. :shrug:

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

precision posted:

Most people I know tap out after getting maybe five or six GBV albums. There's just too much music in the world. Even people I know who've listened to "most" of his output have listened to 90% of it exactly once and filed it away. :shrug:

I totally don't fault anyone for not like, hitting some arbitrary number of listens of an album. I agree, there's tons of music out there. I listen to a decent amount of stuff outside of GBV and it's just as imposing of a task to keep up with all the new stuff coming out. I would say most people I know that listen to a ton of varied artists also listen to 90% of it once or twice and file it away.

You could argue that bands/musicians in general are releasing too much and "great" songs are getting lost, I guess. But I just accept that it's going to happen, which is why I don't necessarily buy into that particular complaint when levied at any prolific band.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I love this video of them playing live so much :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw0avlZE_7E

It encapsulates why you should go and see GbV any chance you got

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
They don't come to the west coast anymore, do they? I would love to see them live. I've been listening to them pretty much exclusively the last two weeks and it has been an amazing ride. They might have even become my favorite band. I really appreciate this thread, I might have lived on in my ignorance but I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.

I have made it to Earthquake Glue, which is just as good as the best GBV albums. Catchy, but weird. I'm surprised you don't have Universal Truths and Cycles up in your first post, I was absolutely blown away by that one(have about 20 listens of that one so far). I suppose you would have every album in your first post if you just put every ones favorite there. It's quite amazing the batting average these guys have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw273CvvG5o

^^^Possibly the best song I've heard yet.

I also really enjoyed the first Airport 5 album. IT will be a good one to listen to in the winter.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Glug_Glug posted:

They don't come to the west coast anymore, do they? I would love to see them live.

They better tour the west coast this year. I moved to LA about a year ago from Florida. Cue GBV playing in Orlando as soon as I'm gone. Maddening!

Glug_Glug posted:

I have made it to Earthquake Glue, which is just as good as the best GBV albums. Catchy, but weird.

Fun (rumor?) fact about Earthquake Glue: Supposedly My Kind of Soldier, Best of Jill Hives, and Of Mites and Men were originally written for The Strokes, but Pollard liked them too much to give up.

Other fun fact: The Strokes are huge GBV fans and both bands play Family Feud against each other in the music video for Someday! :eng101:

Glug_Glug posted:

It's quite amazing the batting average these guys have.

Wait till you get to the Boston Spaceships discography...

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

PopZeus posted:

Fun (rumor?) fact about Earthquake Glue: Supposedly My Kind of Soldier, Best of Jill Hives, and Of Mites and Men were originally written for The Strokes, but Pollard liked them too much to give up.

Other fun fact: The Strokes are huge GBV fans and both bands play Family Feud against each other in the music video for Someday! :eng101:

That's pretty cool. Of Mites and Men has to be my least favorite on the album though.

I'm on my 5th listen of this, and I think I'm fully sold on it. It's got to be the happiest GBV album, besides Sandbox right? It just has a sunny disposition to it. Those two singles, Beat Your Wings, Main Street Wizards, A Trophy Mule in Particular, and Secret Stars are all excellent songs.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Of Mites and Men has a cool White Album/Beatles feel to me though. It was definitely a grower. It's hard to follow Secret Star.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
As someone who is a passing enjoyer of GBV but also a huge Mountain Goats fan (and harsh noise head) I will say that hyper-prolificity doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy watching someone just spill out material and see how their obsessions come through. I'm always in awe of people who can do this stuff semi-automatically in a way. I just don't have that concern for big, novelistic "great albums" but I know some people do and that's cool too. With GBV I enjoyed borrowing my friend's box sets and hearing tons of random stuff.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

acephalousuniverse posted:

As someone who is a passing enjoyer of GBV but also a huge Mountain Goats fan (and harsh noise head) I will say that hyper-prolificity doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy watching someone just spill out material and see how their obsessions come through. I'm always in awe of people who can do this stuff semi-automatically in a way. I just don't have that concern for big, novelistic "great albums" but I know some people do and that's cool too. With GBV I enjoyed borrowing my friend's box sets and hearing tons of random stuff.

I'm also a huge Mountain Goats fan, and I mulled doing a thread similar to this one, but I don't know if there are enough people who would be interested in discussing them frankly.

Darnielle might not be as bad as Robert, but man does he put out a lot of material

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 15, 2013

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

John Darnielle's output is downright modest compared to Robert Pollard, but I agree with the sentiment of this post.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Glug_Glug posted:

John Darnielle's output is downright modest compared to Robert Pollard, but I agree with the sentiment of this post.

Although Edward Ka-Spel is pretty much in Robert Pollard territory output wise.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Hey, cool. I was just thinking of starting a thread like this. Thanks for saving me the trouble :v:

I started with Bee Thousand and Propeller back when I was in high school, and never bothered seeking much further than that until a couple years ago. And I'm really glad I did -- the early 90s GBV albums still get most of the recognition and acclaim, but Pollard's work since then has just gotten better and better. I've found that in general (there are obviously exceptions), Pollard's music tends to be more complex and carefully-crafted than it's usually given credit for, and combined with the quantity he releases, it can be difficult for casual listeners to be convinced it's worth the time investment of repeat listens to really absorb what's there, which is really a shame because there's so much worth hearing.

I put together a big 75-song Youtube playlist a while back with all sorts of GBV/Pollard-related music, as a primer for some friends who had only heard bits and pieces here and there. It covers a pretty wide range from British invasion pop like "Game of Pricks" and "Islands (She Talks In Rainbows)" to progressive mini-epics like "Secret Star" and "Storm Vibrations" to all sorts of great lesser-known tunes from all different eras and projects. Here it is. It's probably still quite a bit longer than it ought to be to really give the music space to breathe, but with someone responsible for this much music it's hard to pare it down without making major sacrifices.

My favorite Pollard-related project is probably Circus Devils. It's a collaboration in which his longtime producer Todd Tobias and his brother (and early-2000s GBV member) Tim Tobias put together all sorts of odd instrumentals and soundscapes from both conventional instrumentation, synths, and tape loops, and Pollard puts vocals on top of them. The easiest entry in the Devils' discography (not to undersell it by any means) is Gringo, which is sort of like a southwestern-tinged, 1970s-progressive-rock-sounding acoustic record. A more difficult Circus Devils album that I'd have to recommend (if you're into that sort of thing) would be Five, which is a wild blend of sound collages and noisy garage rock backed with Boards of Canada-esque ambient electronic -- it's pretty challenging and relatively devoid of the accessible pop hooks found on most of Pollard's albums, but I found it very rewarding of repeat listens. Their double album Sgt. Disco falls somewhere in between the two and might be an easier introduction to their weirder side, though its sheer length and occasional jokiness can make it more intimidating to absorb.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I love Circus Devils, too. New one coming this year, I think? Capsized had some of the most disgusting audio I've ever heard-- whatever song that was that had the vomiting during the second verse. "Double Vision?"

Need to see I Razors.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

chime_on posted:

I love Circus Devils, too. New one coming this year, I think? Capsized had some of the most disgusting audio I've ever heard-- whatever song that was that had the vomiting during the second verse. "Double Vision?"

Need to see I Razors.

Urgh, yeah. Easily my least favorite moment on Capsized!, haha.

I haven't looked into I Razors. The Circus Devils music videos are something I just avoid. To my tastes they just seem like the worst elements of Tim and Eric sketches, and really don't do the music any favors.

And yes, there's new Circus Devils coming later this year. From what I've heard it's going to be called When Machines Attack and it's currently slated for a September release.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 16, 2013

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

chime_on posted:

Need to see I Razors.

I got super drunk one night and in the midst of the resulting hangover the next morning, I made my friend (who was driving a few of us around) plug my iPod in and I played this track for everyone.

I threw up soon after.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Glug_Glug posted:

Just saw this post. Awesome.

I'd recommend slowing down at least slightly, though! I've still got a pretty sizable chunk of the overall Pollard-and-friends discography to get through, but I've been trying to restrain myself enough to give each album a bit of time to sink in and grow on me before hurrying past it to the next one. I've been finding again and again that, with few exceptions, most songs I didn't take notice of or particularly care for initially have continually surprised me a few days/weeks/months later.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

I'm also a huge Mountain Goats fan, and I mulled doing a thread similar to this one, but I don't know if there are enough people who would be interested in discussing them frankly.

Darnielle might not be as bad as Robert, but man does he put out a lot of material

Yeah if he had kept up with the rate of his first few he'd be up to pollard levels now haha. He only has about 3-400 songs though, not 1600...! But I would definitely post huge dissertations about the quetzalcoatl series and minutiae like that in a MtnGts thread if you started one. :)

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

esselfortium posted:

Just saw this post. Awesome.

I'd recommend slowing down at least slightly, though! I've still got a pretty sizable chunk of the overall Pollard-and-friends discography to get through, but I've been trying to restrain myself enough to give each album a bit of time to sink in and grow on me before hurrying past it to the next one. I've been finding again and again that, with few exceptions, most songs I didn't take notice of or particularly care for initially have continually surprised me a few days/weeks/months later.

Too late buddy. I've already listened to all the main albums, except English Little League. I'd say I at least like 80% of what I heard. I've listened to everything at least twice, and some closer to 20 times. I haven't listened to anybody else pretty much since this thread has started. It's become my addiction. Anyways, I plan to focus on some of the albums I didn't listen to as much. Today, I'm going through Let's Go Eat the Factory, which is one of my favorites right now.

Anyways, here is a new song from another Robert side project:

Teenage Guitar "Atlantic Cod"

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I found a copy of " Vampire On Titus" (the original Scat Records 12" according to Discogs) at my wife's house in her old records stash. Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned this one before? Is this one which takes a bit more time or shall I pop it on while I do chores?

I'm already a fan, but don't know much so looking to dig a bit deeper.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

shmee posted:

I found a copy of " Vampire On Titus" (the original Scat Records 12" according to Discogs) at my wife's house in her old records stash. Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned this one before? Is this one which takes a bit more time or shall I pop it on while I do chores?

I'm already a fan, but don't know much so looking to dig a bit deeper.

It was mentioned a few times in passing. I'm so loving jealous right now :colbert:

I think VoT is a very strong record, but it's often overlooked due to the fact that it came right before Bee Thousand, and it was definitely not the sound that would come to define them afterwards.

It's definitely not their poppiest and easily approachable matterial, in fact it's probably their most lo-fi record. It's more a record that you need to really give an attentive listen to, so I wouldn't put it in the background while doing chores.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Vampire on Titus might be my favorite Pollard record some days. At least in the Top 3. Listen to it on a cold night with a beer. Soak it in. It's amazing.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

PopZeus posted:

Vampire on Titus might be my favorite Pollard record some days. At least in the Top 3. Listen to it on a cold night with a beer. Soak it in. It's amazing.

That guy is completely wrong.

Clearly gin should be drank while listen to Vampire on Titus. Possibly with Tonic, but mostly straight.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

It was mentioned a few times in passing. I'm so loving jealous right now :colbert:

I think VoT is a very strong record, but it's often overlooked due to the fact that it came right before Bee Thousand, and it was definitely not the sound that would come to define them afterwards.

It's definitely not their poppiest and easily approachable matterial, in fact it's probably their most lo-fi record. It's more a record that you need to really give an attentive listen to, so I wouldn't put it in the background while doing chores.

Thanks, looking forward to giving it a listen, will make sure to pay attention. I can put it on later when I'm back home from the in-law's house. It's currently in a bag with her Rocket from the Crypt albums.

This might make you more jealous, but I had a look at it after reading your reply and it seems that it's this version on yellow and brown splattered vinyl.

Edit: thanks PopZeus, beer sounds good to me due my hatred of a) gin and b) sobriety. Maybe a second listen with whiskey for full appreciation.

shmee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 19, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

shmee posted:

Thanks, looking forward to giving it a listen, will make sure to pay attention. I can put it on later when I'm back home from the in-law's house. It's currently in a bag with her Rocket from the Crypt albums.

This might make you more jealous, but I had a look at it after reading your reply and it seems that it's this version on yellow and brown splattered vinyl.

Ah, that's the reissue. Still jealous, though!

And yeah it's definitely an album you sit down, pay attention to while sipping on your poison of choice.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Ah, that's the reissue. Still jealous, though!

And yeah it's definitely an album you sit down, pay attention to while sipping on your poison of choice.

Ooh that means I have an original vinyl! Just plain black. The first time I heard VoT I was lying in bed in the dark with headphones and it blew me away. I think I listened to Sot for a week straight. I love Sot.

That guy is completely wrong.

Clearly gin should be drank while listen to Vampire on Titus. Possibly with Tonic, but mostly straight.

Clearly gin and tonic goes with Tonics and Twisted Chasers, duh. Vampire On Titus is a total slamming-garage-beers-and-whiskey kind of record. (Granted, a whole lot of GBV albums work this way, but still.)

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Listening to Alien Lanes and the line "I speak in monotone, leave my loving life alone" from As We Go Up We Go Down is just ruling me right now.

Love that this thread's a debate about what alcohol to drink to listen to the band of notorious alcoholics. Best thread in NMD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mithra6 posted:

Although Edward Ka-Spel is pretty much in Robert Pollard territory output wise.

Ka-Spel had a headstart, but yeah he's put out more than Robert by now, for sure. LPD have over 50 albums' worth of material alone.

I also support the creation of a Mountain Goats thread. A bunch of their older stuff just got added to Spotify recently.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

PopZeus posted:

Ooh that means I have an original vinyl! Just plain black. The first time I heard VoT I was lying in bed in the dark with headphones and it blew me away. I think I listened to Sot for a week straight. I love Sot.

First time I heard VoT I was very hungover. I stopped it halfway through. Second time went over much better and I've learned to really love it.

quote:

Clearly gin and tonic goes with Tonics and Twisted Chasers, duh. Vampire On Titus is a total slamming-garage-beers-and-whiskey kind of record. (Granted, a whole lot of GBV albums work this way, but still.)

Pff slamming garage beers is such a Pollard move for recording music, not listening to it. I agree with the whiskey comment though.

Listening to Alien Lanes and the line "I speak in monotone, leave my loving life alone" from As We Go Up We Go Down is just ruling me right now.

Love that this thread's a debate about what alcohol to drink to listen to the band of notorious alcoholics. Best thread in NMD.

As We Go Up is one of my favorite GbV of all times. As far as them being notorious alcoholics, did you check the live video I posted not too long ago?

precision posted:

I also support the creation of a Mountain Goats thread. A bunch of their older stuff just got added to Spotify recently.

I am finishing the OP and hopefully it's going to be ready tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess that means I should get off my rear end and finally make a Legendary Pink Dots thread. Challenge accepted!

(What I want to know is, how does Bob drink so much onstage and never have to pee?! I've seen him drink like 12 beers without taking a break. See also: Guitar Wolf.)

• Locked thread