Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Squidster posted:

I was wondering what the hell that thing in the street was. I thought it was the giant fingertip Mikasa had severed.

My theory with Rage Titan is that it's Eren, hijacking the body of the Titan that ate him. It's not that he can transform into a Meat Gundam at will, because that would completely change the trajectory of the show, but that he can act as a poison pill. That would mean that the next time he wants to transform, he has to get himself swallowed whole by some other giant rear end in a top hat.

It seems like that's what they want us to conclude from those scenes, but I'm still waiting to see if Eren has become Titan or if he can regurgitate his body to be human again. I guess we'll eventually see what's in his dad's cellar that's so important or at least learn more about the injections.

It could also just be the possibility that it's one of those radically different titans similar to the armored one and the colossal titan, but I'm still leaning towards the Eren thing. So many questions to be answered and I can't wait for this to go week by week.

Ak Gara posted:

Wasn't he eaten by one with a beard? This one looks quite different, and is also jacked as gently caress.

I thought about this myself and I'm just going to go with the fact that because they regenerate so quickly, they're probably highly mutable as well, so Eren's DNA or something let him mutate the one that swallowed him into a ripped elf titan with CQC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Angry titan owns. That yelling contest was funny as poo poo. Even better since the glass jaw titan just went out like a chump immediately.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ak Gara posted:

Oh god, what if Potato Girl becomes a Titan? The world would perish.

Mass famine arising from complete devastation to the humans' potato crop? Yeah, that's way worse than titans eating people one at a time.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

JosephWongKS posted:

Mass famine arising from complete devastation to the humans' potato crop? Yeah, that's way worse than titans eating people one at a time.

Starvation is a pretty horrible way to die.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

ShardPhoenix posted:

One complaint I have is that everyone wearing the same uniform combined with the relatively realistic character designs (ie no crazy hair or eye colors) makes it a bit hard to remember which minor character is which sometimes. Still, they're becoming more familiar over time.

Why would you care about anyone besides Sasha?

Given the titan's eye color, it should be pretty obvious that it's Eren. I guess all that's left now is to explain how he became one (probably dad-related), and whether he can become human again? It would kind of suck if the struggle between man and titan was resolved by a human/titan defeating ALL the titans though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

But imagine if in like 10 episodes they have Titans with 3D Maneuver gear being launched from the center of the city like Gundams.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why would you care about anyone besides Sasha?

Given the titan's eye color, it should be pretty obvious that it's Eren. I guess all that's left now is to explain how he became one (probably dad-related), and whether he can become human again? It would kind of suck if the struggle between man and titan was resolved by a human/titan defeating ALL the titans though.

Please consider that people who have read the whole manga are super hyped and saying this is one of their favorite series in years and not "welp, thanks for enjoying the only good part of this series with us guys, it's all downhill from here".

The author knows what he's doing and so far, even in manga-land, has yet to screw things up. So feel confident that this might be one of the best series in the last decade if it continues at the pace it's been going, which with episode 7's quality and accuracy(aside from the ninja dodgin' Mikasa and the pomegranate thing which are anime-only) it has shown very little signs of loving up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I liked the pomegranate thing. In fact this adaptation has been a lot kinder to Mikasa I feel.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Please consider that people who have read the whole manga are super hyped and saying this is one of their favorite series in years and not "welp, thanks for enjoying the only good part of this series with us guys, it's all downhill from here".

The author knows what he's doing and so far, even in manga-land, has yet to screw things up. So feel confident thatO this might be one of the best series in the last decade if it continues at the pace it's been going, which with episode 7's quality and accuracy(aside from the ninja dodgin' Mikasa and the pomegranate thing which are anime-only) it has shown very little signs of loving up.

Ok, I will be sure to just assume the story will be the most amazing thing ever and never speculate about anything ever since I never read the manga, thank god you were here to set me straight!!!

I never said that I thought the story had peaked or that I was going to stop watching, so I have no idea why you got so defensive about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Talk about completely misunderstanding and getting real touchy about it!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 19, 2013

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet

Rei_ posted:

I liked the pomegranate thing. In fact this adaptation has been a lot kinder to Mikasa I feel.

Other than the loving lipstick, I still just don't get that. She never even remotely came across as the kind to pretty herself up at all. It's so loving alien on her.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Soks posted:

Other than the loving lipstick, I still just don't get that. She never even remotely came across as the kind to pretty herself up at all. It's so loving alien on her.

I think that's just the art style. Some of the women are being drawn as softly as possible without actually deviating from the core art style of the manga, its the most obvious in Mikasa's case though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Soks posted:

People have lips and sometimes they're drawn on people and sometimes they're not.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Soks posted:

I think alot of that episode was outsourced, so it was probably just the animators playing fast and loose with the storyboards

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soks posted:

I dunno, the story drops more than a few hints that she might want Eren to notice her, and that she manages her appearance accordingly (the haircut, for instance).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mikasa's slightly changed appearance has already been flawlessly addressed.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Please stop arguing about my anime wife. None of you can possibly understand what she has been through, what she is still going through. My anime wife is flawless, her lips are pink and her eyes sparkle because she is a queen; the queen of my heart.

Her manga era eyes were just a phase. This is who she is now. Please respect her wishes and respect her as she changes on this journey through life and anime.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Funimation confirms a 2014 release for Attack on Titan anime :neckbeard:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rei_ posted:

But imagine if in like 10 episodes they have Titans with 3D Maneuver gear being launched from the center of the city like Gundams.

Pretty sure this was posted already but...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Excellent. Guess I'll pay attention to cons later this year to see if Funi drops a con-exclusive early release. Also glad to see that someone picked up the original manga as well.

Now I just need a budget to afford all of this. :negative:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AradoBalanga posted:

Now I just need a budget to afford all of this. :negative:

At least Funi will make it cheaper than say Sentai-works. Or whatever they're calling themselves.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Mikasa is now my favorite character. I've read a chapter or two further than this in the manga, and drat, they did such a great job of her in this episode. That song at the end helped, it was really nice. I'm really starting to enjoy the ED, too.

One question: I have a hard time judging voice acting in another language, but I find myself liking anime Mikasa a lot more than manga Mikasa, and I think a large part of that comes down to her acting. What do people think of the job her VA is doing?

lohli posted:

I don't want to seem like some sort of terrible manga purist who demands it all be perfect 1:1 representations of the manga but I think some of the stuff they've put in as extras are really bad, specifically what they've done with Mikasa(Her little lightning effect from the flashback where she lost her parents irked me since that's not really a thing that Attack on Titan does at all, I do understand it wasn't trying to be something like a shounen powerup visual-effect but I thought the scene didn't need something like that to illustrate the point that was being made, but having her doing all sorts of super acrobatic stuff to dodge a titan while she's unable to use 3D gear and even effectively attacking it with a sword that is all but out of usable blades just runs counter to everything the series has set out to establish.

I agree that the minor additions/alterations the anime is making change the tone of some scenes, and sometimes even the show overall. To me, though, that's an improvement. As other have mentioned, the boxing titan stuff in this episode was really freaking crazy. When I read that in the manga, it felt a little bit out of place. It was just a little less grounded and a little more anime than the rest of the show. Having that scene with Mikasa doing crazy anime backflips helps even out the tone and make the boxing titan feel more like it's part of the same universe as the rest of the characters.

Whoever's doing the direction for this show is doing an outstanding job. You ask me, it's better than the original manga. Part of that is the addition of voice acting, music, color, sound, and animation, sure, but it's more than that. There are all these minor additions & alterations that just make everything fit together so much better. It all helps the show do a better job than the manga of making sure the viewer is in the right headspace to properly appreciate a given scene or character.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

XboxPants posted:

Mikasa is now my favorite character. I've read a chapter or two further than this in the manga, and drat, they did such a great job of her in this episode. That song at the end helped, it was really nice. I'm really starting to enjoy the ED, too.

One question: I have a hard time judging voice acting in another language, but I find myself liking anime Mikasa a lot more than manga Mikasa, and I think a large part of that comes down to her acting. What do people think of the job her VA is doing?

She sounds a bit monotone and subdued. I initially thought it was because her VA wasn't experienced (I'm not familiar with her) but I came to think she's doing it that way because that's how she was directed. I'm beginning to agree that it's probably better to do it that way, as she's usually cool headed (unlike, say, Eren).

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Why the hell do people have a problem with that "lightning" effect from Mikasa's flashback? It was obviously just a visual representation of the electric impulses sent by her brain, not a loving "power up" sequence.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Cybershell posted:

Why the hell do people have a problem with that "lightning" effect from Mikasa's flashback? It was obviously just a visual representation of the electric impulses sent by her brain, not a loving "power up" sequence.

It's Code Geass's fault.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
Yeah, I never got that either. It was just a visual representation of her brain saying move your rear end girl, kill this gently caress or this gently caress will kill you. The floorboard shattering was pretty ANIME but even that didn't bother me too much.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mike Hock posted:

Yeah, I never got that either. It was just a visual representation of her brain saying move your rear end girl, kill this gently caress or this gently caress will kill you. The floorboard shattering was pretty ANIME but even that didn't bother me too much.

Maybe the cabin was poorly maintained and the wood got rotten and it was just a crappy floor board and nothing more. :shobon:

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Ak Gara posted:

Maybe the cabin was poorly maintained and the wood got rotten and it was just a crappy floor board and nothing more. :shobon:

Well, it was a pretty lovely run down cabin out in the middle of the woods used as a hideout for hoodlums.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ak Gara posted:

Then why did the knife handle shatter in her hand as well? Eren brought that knife with him, and dude was clearly serious about killing things that piss him off.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Then why did the knife handle shatter in her hand as well? Eren brought that knife with him, and dude was clearly serious about killing things that piss him off.

That's clearly just a cheap-rear end, poorly-made kitchen knife meant for cutting apples that Eren had taken from Mikasa's cabin. Eren had initially just tagged along with his father and wasn't expecting the Ackermans to be brutally murdered when he got there; I doubt he would have brought along a combat knife for (what he thought was) a routine house visit.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

JosephWongKS posted:

That's clearly just a cheap-rear end, poorly-made kitchen knife meant for cutting apples that Eren had taken from Mikasa's cabin. Eren had initially just tagged along with his father and wasn't expecting the Ackermans to be brutally murdered when he got there; I doubt he would have brought along a combat knife for (what he thought was) a routine house visit.

Yeah I know this sounds silly justifying it but honestly, the people in question are low as hell on resources anyway. The average kitchen would have wood-grip cheaply made knives.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A block of wood, no matter how cheap, is still going to have a ton of compressive strength. Let's face it Mikasa is ripped as gently caress.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

She sounds a bit monotone and subdued. I initially thought it was because her VA wasn't experienced (I'm not familiar with her) but I came to think she's doing it that way because that's how she was directed. I'm beginning to agree that it's probably better to do it that way, as she's usually cool headed (unlike, say, Eren).
Her "motivating speech" in this weeks episode was very monotone and stiff. However, Jean made a point of calling Miskasa's speech/charismatic skill terrible so I'm guessing that's just how her character is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

XboxPants posted:

I agree that the minor additions/alterations the anime is making change the tone of some scenes, and sometimes even the show overall. To me, though, that's an improvement. As other have mentioned, the boxing titan stuff in this episode was really freaking crazy. When I read that in the manga, it felt a little bit out of place. It was just a little less grounded and a little more anime than the rest of the show. Having that scene with Mikasa doing crazy anime backflips helps even out the tone and make the boxing titan feel more like it's part of the same universe as the rest of the characters.
Yo, check your inbox, I PMed you the explanation of why I think the manga did this particular part better.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
This show has an interesting premise and fantastic production values but so far the protagonist is such a dumb loving bratty idiot it's ruining my enjoyment of anything else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

rainy day posted:

This show has an interesting premise and fantastic production values but so far the protagonist is such a dumb loving bratty idiot it's ruining my enjoyment of anything else.

I have this weird feeling you haven't gotten very far into it. :v:

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this weird feeling you haven't gotten very far into it. :v:

I've watched the first seven episodes but unfortunately I'd already been told the basic premise so I feel the need to spoil it for other people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phobophilia posted:

A block of wood, no matter how cheap, is still going to have a ton of compressive strength. Let's face it Mikasa is ripped as gently caress.
Ripped and also some sort of last remaining heir of a ~mysterious clan from the orient~, to infer a bit from what her mother said to her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Ripped and also some sort of last remaining heir of a ~mysterious clan from the orient~, to infer a bit from what her mother said to her.

Not to mention that Doctor Jaeger had regular appointments with her before poo poo went down (and then adopted her, which probably didn't slow down whatever he was doing).

Notice, also, that the anime has used lightning effects to show weird Titan stuff (like the Colossal's sudden appearance, and the berserker-Titan's regeneration). Sure, the lightning flashes and the cracking wood may have been symbolic, but it's a symbolism that seems eerily similar to actual, 'real-world' stuff happening in the show.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

rainy day posted:

Now I'm imagining the show staring Shinji Ikari.

It... doesn't actually change anything :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

Now I'm imagining the show staring Shinji Ikari.

It... doesn't actually change anything :confused:

Episode 5 would be enjoyable instead of horrifying.

• Locked thread