Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
Last Light is essentially a continuation of 2033 except with some more bells and whistles so I agree that you should play the original first. They are both very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm currently at the Catacombs, before fighting the Big Mama and I'm going for the No Unnecessary Human Kills achievement (Ranger mode, second playthrough). I haven't killed a single person up to this point. Could anyone who may have gotten this achievement list where they killed people so I know what's safe?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

PureRok posted:

I'm currently at the Catacombs, before fighting the Big Mama and I'm going for the No Unnecessary Human Kills achievement (Ranger mode, second playthrough). I haven't killed a single person up to this point. Could anyone who may have gotten this achievement list where they killed people so I know what's safe?

The Chase when you're trying to catch a train with Khan, Red Square when Pavel sets a trap for you, D6. Basically anywhere you can't avoid having people shoot at you.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Red Mundus posted:

(mid-to-late-game spoilers)I found the part where you finally meet the child dark one and have to go top-side for a while to be really tedious and unfun. It's basically mutants, mutants, mutants, with a crappy boss thrown in. Doesn't help that mid way through you are forced into a huge shoot-out with Pavel's men out in the open surrounded by snipers. My sneaky rear end REALLY appreciated that. :suicide:

I'm assuming this part doesn't count against the kill no humans thing?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Ugh... I tried to get into playing ranger normal and hardcore after first playthrough on normal hardcore, but the amount of information that goes missing with the UI is just stupid. While a minimalistic or completely missing UI might be immersive, not having a faintest idea of my ammo, grenade, filter etc situation has zero to do with realism. Or come to think of it, I don't really find it "immersive" either because I'm having a hard time roleplaying a completely sensory deprived post-apocalyptic ranger.

I hope this game is moddable because I wouldn't mind having a difficulty level with the damage / health modifications and item scarcity of ranger difficulties. Just ditch the UI bullshit because the normal one is just fine.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fewd posted:

Ugh... I tried to get into playing ranger normal and hardcore after first playthrough on normal hardcore, but the amount of information that goes missing with the UI is just stupid. While a minimalistic or completely missing UI might be immersive, not having a faintest idea of my ammo, grenade, filter etc situation has zero to do with realism. Or come to think of it, I don't really find it "immersive" either because I'm having a hard time roleplaying a completely sensory deprived post-apocalyptic ranger.

I hope this game is moddable because I wouldn't mind having a difficulty level with the damage / health modifications and item scarcity of ranger difficulties. Just ditch the UI bullshit because the normal one is just fine.

I'm fine with having no onscreen ammo counter during fights, myself, and all the information you need during battle - a rough count of how many bullets are in your gun, how much time on your filters, whether you're in shadow or not, etc. - is already visible on your screen even without that. I'm also fine with there being no crosshair so I have to use the ironsights. But not having any way to check how much ammo you have at all is just loving silly. I'd even be fine if you could only get a rough count, like 'you think you have about 3 magazines' or whatever.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Fewd posted:

Agreed. The UI is pretty minimalist as is, the idea of just removing it entirely is moronic at best. I guess the rationale is that you'd know the game well enough to know the commands for selecting throwables, when to perform a QTE, etc...I suppose it simulates being a grizzled ranger who knows his poo poo, but that's still a pretty flimsy reason to remove the UI entirely.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

I'd even be fine if you could only get a rough count, like 'you think you have about 3 magazines' or whatever.

Yeah, something like this would just fine. Regarding filters, you only see up to five minutes from your watch, no? I'm pretty sure my character ought to be aware if I got another half an hour stashed away or am I coughing up in my last one. Also basic information like what I just picked up should be there.

The filter thing irks me a bit since I don't like to be rushed constantly. Even when seeing the complete remaining filter time, I felt the game was tossing hot coals on my arse at times.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The amount of filters in this game means never, even being rushed. I spent a good 2 hours+ top-side for one section of the game and never dropped below 50 minutes of filter time. Literally every corpse and stash has at least one filter in it. Ranger mode too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not to mention that there are a large number of filters underground as well. I really have no idea how you could run out of air in this game, unless you aren't checking corpses or boxes at all. I had a constant half-hour of air all through the long string of above-ground levels at the end.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

First time playing, I choked clawing at the gate of Bolshoi as they were opening it :mad:. After that I always felt rushed gas mask areas.

Anyways, whatever the filter situation, it doesn't cancel the fact it's plain stupid you have no idea how many you are carrying with you besides the one you're wearing. That's a rather basic thing a mentally healthy character in a poisonous environment should know.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hold the button to bring up the inventory, in the bottom right it will show your total time. It may not be accurate in Ranger mode, since my watch says I have 16 minutes, but the inventory screen says something like 33.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If you replace a filter while it still has time on it does it go back into your inventory? I ask because I had a crap load of filters, couldn't carry any more before heading out to the surface but once I got there all these filters I collected only had like a minute of air left and I burnt through my filter supplies quickly. Was my inventory just filled with used filters or what?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fathis Munk posted:

So I hear mostly positive things about this game.

I have Metro 2033 but have not actually played it a lot (got it for free during a facebook promotion thing). Should I play 2033 first or can I jump in with Last Light which is apparently way more polished ?

I am replaying 2033 now and it is still an amazing game and holds up. Last Light is way more polished but I would definitely play 2033 first.

I bought the 2033 book yesterday after playing the game and a couple of chapters in, it is really really good so I would recommend that to everyone as well if you haven't read it already.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

PureRok posted:

Hold the button to bring up the inventory, in the bottom right it will show your total time. It may not be accurate in Ranger mode, since my watch says I have 16 minutes, but the inventory screen says something like 33.

I think you may be confusing filter time with regular watch time. Whenever you're in an area where you need to use a filter, your watch will show how long you have left on your current filter, which is at most five minutes with a brand new filter. Whenever you're not, your watch just displays the time as determined by your console or computer.

Also, on Ranger Hardcore, you can't bring up inventory. That's kind of what people have been talking about for a few pages now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I think you may be confusing filter time with regular watch time. Whenever you're in an area where you need to use a filter, your watch will show how long you have left on your current filter, which is at most five minutes with a brand new filter. Whenever you're not, your watch just displays the time as determined by your console or computer.

That can't be right, because when I pick up filters that number goes up. On my first playthrough it had 41 something by the time I finished.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Can you take a screenshot of your watch displaying a number higher than 23:59? Because, I gotta keep it real, that doesn't sound possible.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Can you take a screenshot of your watch displaying a number higher than 23:59? Because, I gotta keep it real, that doesn't sound possible.

Well, I'm playing through on a new save that's ranger, so I don't have that anymore. Maybe you're right and I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn my watch had that on it.

Either way, that inventory menu should show how much time you have, though, right?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

PureRok posted:

Well, I'm playing through on a new save that's ranger, so I don't have that anymore. Maybe you're right and I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn my watch had that on it.

Either way, that inventory menu should show how much time you have, though, right?

It does, but you don't have that menu on Ranger Hardcore, at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got 2033 for free on Steam from some promotion the THQ Facebook page was running several months ago. I should probably load it up one of these days and actually finish playing through it, huh? Since I enjoyed Last Light so much. Though I already know the whole story since I watched YouTube videos explaining the entire plot, and I'm sure lots of the game mechanics were upgraded for Last Light, so it may be hard to get through.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got 2033 for free on Steam from some promotion the THQ Facebook page was running several months ago. I should probably load it up one of these days and actually finish playing through it, huh? Since I enjoyed Last Light so much. Though I already know the whole story since I watched YouTube videos explaining the entire plot, and I'm sure lots of the game mechanics were upgraded for Last Light, so it may be hard to get through.

2033's gameplay is totally fine. It's not polished to a perfect sheen but it still plays like a modern game. No reason not to play it.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dammit Pavel shut up! Only dishonest men blabber that much :mad:

...Oh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lima posted:

Dammit Pavel shut up! Only dishonest men blabber that much :mad:

...Oh.

Don't worry, he gets what's coming to him later on :smug:

...well, if you choose it

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm sure lots of the game mechanics were upgraded for Last Light, so it may be hard to get through.
Not really, the weapons are the same (minus the ones added in LL) and all the basic gameplay systems are the same - flashlight charging, gas mask with filters, ammo, pumped weapons, first aid... Main change would be the addition of the secondary weapon and melee keys instead of having knives and grenades being primary weapons.

Main problem with 2033 in my opinion was that most of the game consist of fighting loving nosalises and other boring mutants instead of awesomeness like Black Station.

Doniazade fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doniazade posted:

Not really, the weapons are the same and all the basic gameplay systems are the same - flashlight charging, gas mask with filters, ammo, pumped weapons, first aid... Main change would be the addition of the secondary weapon and melee keys instead of having knives and grenades being primary weapons.

Oh, well that's not bad. I remember the gas mask with filters and the ammo as currency from my few attempts at playing through the first one, but not the rest of that.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Best glitch so far- Getting attacked by watchmen in the swamp, then the game spazzing out and giving me the watchmans POV as it scurried back off hide behind some scenery.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Does LL start differently on the way you chose to end 2033?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

Does LL start differently on the way you chose to end 2033?

Nope, it picks the ending based on what happened in the book which is the bad ending

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Um...

(late-game spoilers) What the hell am I supposed to do at the tank part? I can't really seem to do anything. I thought maybe I needed to shoot the supports out or something like in the original game but nothing works.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Um...

(late-game spoilers) What the hell am I supposed to do at the tank part? I can't really seem to do anything. I thought maybe I needed to shoot the supports out or something like in the original game but nothing works.

Shoot the glowy read bits on the wheels and then the turret when it opens

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red Mundus posted:

Um...

You need to grab a sniper rifle (there's a couple near an ammo crate) and aim at the red bits on the wheels, then at the red bit near the top when the turret sort of opens up. There's little indication of this if you don't have that weapon since other zooms don't make it particularly obvious.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ahh. I see. Thank you!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Man, the swamps at night area is so good. Staggering through the darkness with your nightvision goggles washing everything out, hearing howls in the distance, scanning for movement; there's more atmosphere in one ten minute section than most games can muster in their whole running time.

gently caress the bossfights though. As if bullfighting with a 10,000 HP bullet sponge wasn't tedious enough, they make you do it twice. And then you fight another monster with the same schtick in the next level.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Got this game, with a nice new upgraded computer, and by god was it worth it. Linear game, sure. But pretty. And a good story. And good gameplay. But why did you have to do that, Pavel? I thought we were friends :(.

edit:
Has anyone found that one 'matroyshka doll' container set in the first Red base? You open one container, which has a smaller one, and it continues until you find one M.G. bullet? That got a chuckle out of me.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 20, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard there's a quad barrel shotgun, but I can't find it anywhere. Also, where can I get gas masks? All the ones I found were off corpses or stashes.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Troika- posted:

I've heard there's a quad barrel shotgun, but I can't find it anywhere. Also, where can I get gas masks? All the ones I found were off corpses or stashes.
Quad shotguns are fairly common and look a lot like double barreled ones, but if you can't find one there's a quad shotgun at the part where you have to ring a bell and wait for the guy to come pick you up with his boat. It's on the second level, almost directly above the bell.

Gas masks are indeed only looted, they cannot be bought and there would be no point in buying one since there's one at the start of almost every surface level.

If you mean filters I don't think you can buy those either, but there would be no point in doing so since filters are extremely abundant compared to the original.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was really worried about filters being stupidly hard to find, but i'm honestly tripping over them right now. I can imagine poor Artyom is currently struggling under the weight of them right now.

Also, spoiler discussion about the bandits: Holy gently caress that attempted rape scene, what the gently caress. I was not expecting that, nearly made me break my no kill thing. :staredog:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
You know, there's an easy solution for the Ranger mode ammo situation. Have Artyom stare at his boobs, where an ammo counter is conveniently psychically tattooed on by the dark ones.

Really though a vocalization when switching like, "bunch of mags left", "only half my ammo left", "last magazine" would be neat.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I enjoyed Ranger Hardcore in 2033 (although I got into a place I couldn't get out of a few times), is the general consensus that it's worth the 5$ DLC? Or does the lack of any knowledge of your ammo situation get grating after awhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It feels like the way the game was meant to be experienced to a certain extent. I jumped right into it without checking out the normal modes so I don't even know how much UI is present otherwise. If you just want to play the game and have fun i'd say wait until you decide to replay the game and buy it for like $.75 in a sale or something. It's a really lovely thing to sell so I'm hesitant to say it's worth it. Ammo situation is grating but i never felt it was ruining my experience.

Edit: I just finished the game and got what I think is the bad end. Is it like Metro 2033 where any non-forced kills will essentially reverse any good deeds?

Also there was a rather :unsmith: moment near the end: when you're returning to polis with the kid. You're in some kind of cleansing chamber and the little guy starts waving like crazy to a soldier on the left. The soldier just smiles and waves back.

Edit 2: I really want Metro 2034 to be translated. Where the gently caress is it? We're never going to get Metro 2035 at this rate. I'm probably better off starting Russian lessons.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread