Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RoryGilmore posted:

I enjoyed Ranger Hardcore in 2033 (although I got into a place I couldn't get out of a few times), is the general consensus that it's worth the 5$ DLC? Or does the lack of any knowledge of your ammo situation get grating after awhile?

I think most of the complaints have to do with the bizarreness of the choice and not how often it fucks you over. I definitely prefer Ranger Hardcore, warts and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. P
May 22, 2001

Man, I've been going through 2033 again and it would be so cool if you could turn off the health regeneration. Maybe with a little health boost to balance it out.

Did anyone figure out a way to tweak the graphics more? It looks nice, but locking just about everything to a handful of presets is pretty crude.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Doniazade posted:

Quad shotguns are fairly common and look a lot like double barreled ones, but if you can't find one there's a quad shotgun at the part where you have to ring a bell and wait for the guy to come pick you up with his boat. It's on the second level, almost directly above the bell.

Gas masks are indeed only looted, they cannot be bought and there would be no point in buying one since there's one at the start of almost every surface level.

If you mean filters I don't think you can buy those either, but there would be no point in doing so since filters are extremely abundant compared to the original.

Huh, I never knew there was a quad shotgun in that section, maybe it would have alleviated the dodging I had to do between reloading the ashot(shotgun pistol).

How does the quad stack up against the ashot? I found one with a extended barrel, laser sight, and a reflex sight off of a dead guy slumped next to a power box in one of the spider caves in the section when you got the railcar and that thing just murders everything I have encountered so far but the bugs in the swamp(they go down in two shots).

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Have any of you passed The Chase on Ranger Mode without killing anyone for the Shadow Ranger achievement? It doesn't seem possible with the damage that's taken.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Small question about Venice?

Is there a way to get the kids teddy or is it just dialogue?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Fat_Cow posted:

Small question about Venice?

Is there a way to get the kids teddy or is it just dialogue?

You have to do the shooting range three times and you win it as a "special prize".

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sankis posted:

Edit 2: I really want Metro 2034 to be translated. Where the gently caress is it? We're never going to get Metro 2035 at this rate. I'm probably better off starting Russian lessons.

No kidding. I can't believe that 2033 is the only one to be translated. It's really odd, because 2034 has already been translated into most of the other European languages, just not English. Also, apparently there are a poo poo load of expanded universe Metro novels that haven't had an English translation either. Considering one of them takes place in England, that's fairly ironic.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

AzureSkys posted:

Have any of you passed The Chase on Ranger Mode without killing anyone for the Shadow Ranger achievement? It doesn't seem possible with the damage that's taken.

You don't need to.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

You don't need to.

All that I've read says otherwise. Did you get the achievement or know a source for someone who got it? Just trying to make sure to not have to repeat things.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Blue Raider posted:

No kidding. I can't believe that 2033 is the only one to be translated. It's really odd, because 2034 has already been translated into most of the other European languages, just not English. Also, apparently there are a poo poo load of expanded universe Metro novels that haven't had an English translation either. Considering one of them takes place in England, that's fairly ironic.

Is that what they are? That makes a poo poo ton of sense. There's all sorts of "Metro 2033: Person's Name" on Amazon from third party sellers. I thought they were all just weird boot legs of the original book.

That england bit reminds me, early to mid way through the game you hear a guy talking about having contacted another russian city and maybe another part of europe entirely. Was there more to this? I think I wandered off and by the time I realized what I was hearing it was too late to go back.

If its taking so long to just get Metro 2034 there's no way we'll ever get the expanded stuff. I guess I need to learn Russian.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 20, 2013

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sankis posted:

Is that what they are? That makes a poo poo ton of sense. There's all sorts of "Metro 2033: Person's Name" on Amazon from third party sellers. I thought they were all just weird boot legs of the original book.

That england bit reminds me, early to mid way through the game you hear a guy talking about having contacted another russian city and maybe another part of europe entirely. Was there more to this? I think I wandered off and by the time I realized what I was hearing it was too late to go back.

If its taking so long to just get Metro 2034 there's no way we'll ever get the expanded stuff. I guess I need to learn Russian.

Yeah, they seem to be about a lot of different European locations. The list I found only gives the titles, covers, and very basic synopsis's. Most of them also sound really, really lame and completely tonedeaf, so unless you're just holding out for a translation that'll probably never come, the list is worth a look. By the way, I've played both games, and the book descriptions spoil absolutely nothing. The wiki also says the books are all non-canonical, so whatever.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_Universe_Book_Series

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

AzureSkys posted:

All that I've read says otherwise. Did you get the achievement or know a source for someone who got it? Just trying to make sure to not have to repeat things.

I've gotten the achievement multiple times killing everyone on the train. You'll be fine.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, they seem to be about a lot of different European locations. The list I found only gives the titles, covers, and very basic synopsis's. Most of them also sound really, really lame and completely tonedeaf, so unless you're just holding out for a translation that'll probably never come, the list is worth a look. By the way, I've played both games, and the book descriptions spoil absolutely nothing. The wiki also says the books are all non-canonical, so whatever.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_Universe_Book_Series

poo poo, that "Track Marks" story sounds familiar. I think the story I overheard may have involved a repaired plane. Maybe it was just a reference to that story.

If they're non-canonical then who cares. Still want Metro 2034 and 2035 though. :colbert:.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sankis posted:

If they're non-canonical then who cares. Still want Metro 2034 and 2035 though. :colbert:.

I'm with you on these. I just ordered Roadside Picnic and the Stalker movie from Amazon, so I'm definitely in the mood for some more post-apoc weirdness.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blue Raider posted:

The wiki also says the books are all non-canonical, so whatever.
I dunno, Wikipedia says the author of 'Metro2033' considers them "canon" and advertises them on his website, and his website seems to confirm that.

I'd guess it's a lot like the Lovecraft "expanded universe", where other authors just started chiming in and writing stories set in Lovecraft's universe and Lovecraft said "hey guys that's pretty cool, I'm glad you like my stuff and want to contribute to my world, sure you can play in my sandbox! :) ".

I'm still reading 'Metro 2033', and I've got 'Roadside Picnic' on deck for when I finish. :woop:

Blue Raider posted:

Considering one of them takes place in England, that's fairly ironic.
Takes place in England and is written by a British author, but still isn't available in English. :psyduck:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, Wikipedia says the author of 'Metro2033' considers them "canon" and advertises them on his website, and his website seems to confirm that.

I'd guess it's a lot like the Lovecraft "expanded universe", where other authors just started chiming in and writing stories set in Lovecraft's universe and Lovecraft said "hey guys that's pretty cool, I'm glad you like my stuff and want to contribute to my world, sure you can play in my sandbox! :) ".

Is there a single piece of media you can enjoy without immediately pining for "expanded universe canon" crap?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Takes place in England and is written by a British author, but still isn't available in English. :psyduck:

Haha, I know. Really though, judging by some of the descriptions, most of them can stay the hell out of my native tongue, and few of us would be lesser for it.

Station-The Ghost posted:

Station - the Ghost returns to the Moscow Metro as "both romantic and terrible story of betrayal, fighting, soul-searching, and, of course, love".

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is there a single piece of media you can enjoy without immediately pining for "expanded universe canon" crap?
I wasn't the one who brought up the "canon" topic, or even brought up the books in the first place, so maybe you should back off? :confused:

Someone else said they weren't "canon", and then someone else said "oh well that sucks :( ", so I was just chiming in that hey, they might actually be canon for those that were disappointed that they weren't (or who care about that kind of stuff).

I think expanded universes are fun - seeing what different authors or artists bring to the table for a given idea or setting, potentially spanning various media, is cool. :) It makes it a shared, collaborative experience, where you've got different people with different viewpoints bringing their own talents and ideas to the table. Sometimes those ideas suck, but I still applaud the effort.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 20, 2013

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sorry but no. Expanded universes and arguments over canon and "collaborative efforts" and "world building" suck 100% of the time. Post as many passive-aggressive emoticons as you like, it won't change that essential fact. No comics, no toys, no tie-ins, no unofficial novelisations. None of it. It's all poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sorry but no. Expanded universes and arguments over canon and "collaborative efforts" and "world building" suck 100% of the time. Post as many passive-aggressive emoticons as you like, it won't change that essential fact. No comics, no toys, no tie-ins, no unofficial novelisations. None of it. It's all poo poo.
Whatever you say, homeslice.

No one's arguing anyway so maybe you should calm down, but I guess you're welcome to your opinions?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mushball posted:

Huh, I never knew there was a quad shotgun in that section, maybe it would have alleviated the dodging I had to do between reloading the ashot(shotgun pistol).

How does the quad stack up against the ashot? I found one with a extended barrel, laser sight, and a reflex sight off of a dead guy slumped next to a power box in one of the spider caves in the section when you got the railcar and that thing just murders everything I have encountered so far but the bugs in the swamp(they go down in two shots).

The quad does so much damage it's almost comical; it will basically kill anything short of a boss in one hit and does a lot of damage even to bosses. However, it chews through ammo at a ridiculous rate (two shells per shot or four shells for the alternate fire) - and you also can't aim with its iron sights at all, which means it's pretty much only effective at melee range.

Sankis posted:

You can overhear several bits of dialogue like this in 2033 as well. The St. Petersburg Metro tunnels are inhabited just like the Moscow ones, and there is at least one Russian city that didn't get nuked where people can survive on the surface without masks. There was also at least one settlement of survivors out in Siberia as of Metro 2033; the radiation wasn't bad out there and there were no mutants, but they ran out of gas for their generator and fell out of radio contact as a result. Everyone in Moscow is effectively trapped there because of the ruins, the mutants, and the toxic air, but they're far from the only humans left on the planet.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Whatever you say, homeslice.

No one's arguing anyway so maybe you should calm down, but I guess you're welcome to your opinions?

I don't really care about changing your mind as long as you stop posting about the Expanded Universe Of The Metro Series. Thanks!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I don't really care about changing your mind as long as you stop posting about the Expanded Universe Of The Metro Series. Thanks!
Put me on ignore if my posts annoy you I guess, because I still wasn't the one who brought up the topic so I guess you should take your beef up with the other people who wanted to talk about it?

Edit-- I'll just put you on ignore, problem solved.

:siren: Actual content, what a concept:

Is "Ranger" more of a difficulty, or just sort of a "mode" that eliminates the HUD? Like, does it alter the gameplay?
I'm still planning to play through the game on Ranger mode because everyone says it's the best experience, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 20, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Put me on ignore if my posts annoy you I guess, because I still wasn't the one who brought up the topic so I guess you should take your beef up with the other people who wanted to talk about it?

Edit-- I'll just put you on ignore, problem solved.

:siren: Actual content, what a concept:

Is "Ranger" more of a difficulty, or just sort of a "mode" that eliminates the HUD? Like, does it alter the gameplay?
I'm still planning to play through the game on Ranger mode because everyone says it's the best experience, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into.

In Ranger, everyone does more damage - you die faster, but enemies also die faster. Firefights are a lot more lethal as a result and stealth is more important. You also find less ammo and other supplies, so it's more of a survival-horror experience than the corridor-shooter feel you sometimes get in the normal game. Oh, and you have some inventory limitations, like only being able to carry two weapons instead of three.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

In Ranger, everyone does more damage - you die faster, but enemies also die faster. Firefights are a lot more lethal as a result and stealth is more important. You also find less ammo and other supplies, so it's more of a survival-horror experience than the corridor-shooter feel you sometimes get in the normal game. Oh, and you have some inventory limitations, like only being able to carry two weapons instead of three.

Oh, does ranger also do that? I only saw the "You can carry three weapons" tooltip at the very end of the game and was thoroughly confused. I should probably have checked to see what was changed before starting ranger.

Edit: Meant to say Ranger instead of hardcore!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 20, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Sankis posted:

Oh, does Hardcore also do that? I only saw the "You can carry three weapons" tooltip at the very end of the game and was thoroughly confused. I should probably have checked to see what was changed before starting hardcore.

Original hardcore? No. Two weapons is a Ranger-only limitation. It's pretty obvious right at the beginning of the game: the dialogue with the guy that sets you up with weapons and supplies is changes if you're playing Ranger mode. He will mention rangers use three weapons in original, two in ranger.

Also, ammo is very common in all difficulties, Ranger or otherwise. You need so few bullets to kill just about anything in Ranger that it rewards being accurate more so than it rewards stealth.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 20, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So wait, are there also difficulty modes within Ranger? Like Ranger Easy, Ranger Hard, etc?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oops. Totally meant to just say ranger instead of hardcore.

Xenomrph posted:

So wait, are there also difficulty modes within Ranger? Like Ranger Easy, Ranger Hard, etc?

Just ranger and ranger hardcore.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wondering if anybody has encountered a really annoying issue which just suddenly started happening. The dynamic lights are flickering like crazy. Like, looking at a lamp makes the light tweak out. Definitely wasn't happening before so perhaps it is a bug in the bandit level right after the load screen where you break through the barricade and start rescuing people from bandits in the tunnel.

e: looks like it was just a few buggy lights in that tunnel.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 20, 2013

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

End game spoilers

I behaved like a saint and still got a bad end, that's bogus :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sankis posted:

Oops. Totally meant to just say ranger instead of hardcore.

Just ranger and ranger hardcore.
Is Hardcore punishingly, cripplingly difficult? Like, should I steer clear of it on my first time through, or do people consider it "The Way It Was Meant To Be Played :colbert: " or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fat_Cow posted:

End game spoilers

Don't worry, the next Metro game will probably start off after Last Light's bad ending, like Last Light did with 2033's bad ending :v:

poo poo, what if you play as Artyom's kid in the next one?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Fat_Cow posted:

End game spoilers

So basically you got the ending where Artyom lives? :v:

Blowing poo poo up and dying like a man is the good ending. Other ending is for pussies who can't slit a throat when it matters. People who get the other ending support the Reich and Reds by not wanting to take them down. They bask in the loving embrace of facism and enjoy the sight of Reds burning down Hansa stations. They are literally Hitler and Stalin combined.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

End game spoilers

For the ending:

The morality point threshold for the good end is probably just really high, and so you won't make it on stealth runs and beggars alone. There's a ton of points you'll get for exploring places, and it's harder to gauge whether or not you're hitting them. I got the good ending on my first run, but I'm certain I missed a few places in the ghost apartments.

Non lethal kills are pretty sketchy. Like, I knock a dude out and he falls face first into a fire, or right next to a Watchman den. Then I take his air filter right out of his mask. Sometimes they slip off a platform and hit the ground a few stories down. It's okay though, I pressed E!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Don't worry, the next Metro game will probably start off after Last Light's bad ending, like Last Light did with 2033's bad ending :v:

poo poo, what if you play as Artyom's kid in the next one?

I actually rather hope this is the last Metro game for awhile. I feel like any more and they may wear the premise a bit too thin.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

Is Hardcore punishingly, cripplingly difficult? Like, should I steer clear of it on my first time through, or do people consider it "The Way It Was Meant To Be Played :colbert: " or something?

It's easier than 2033. You should just go with Ranger Hardcore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sankis posted:

I actually rather hope this is the last Metro game for awhile. I feel like any more and they may wear the premise a bit too thin.

Oh yeah, me too. And the way it ends, it most likely will be. I was just messing around.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

I'm with you on these. I just ordered Roadside Picnic and the Stalker movie from Amazon, so I'm definitely in the mood for some more post-apoc weirdness.

Roadside picnic is great and I highly recommend checking out other stuff by the strugatskis. You'll almost certainly have to find online versions of most of their stuff though. And the STALKER movie isn't really that post apocalyptic. I enjoyed it but if you're going into it expecting something like Metro or the STALKER games you're likely to be disappointed.

Also, am I the only one who hates the new watch design? I really liked the system in 2033 where you pressed a button to check stealth and filter time. The tiny little numbers on the watch face are too drat small for me to read on my screen :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
STALKER the movie is free online, I think. I remember an article a while back where that and Solaris(same director; Solaris is also a brilliant book) went free on Google Video or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Man, I usually have a pretty good sense of direction and so forth but I can't for the life of me find where I need to go...

I'm currently on the "Escape the Red Line Territory" objective. It's a large room with a fair amount of guards in it. A circuit breaker to the immediate right when you enter the room. There are several grates which you can jump down into that lead around the room (for sneaking). There are also catwalks up ahead, with one "control room" so to speak.

Vague description here but maybe someone knows the place. I can't for the life of me figure out where I need to go. I've searched the room thoroughly (though apparently not enough), and the objective marker points into the left section of the room (into the wall to be precise).

Hopefully someone will know the area I'm talking about.

• Locked thread