Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Leinadi posted:

Man, I usually have a pretty good sense of direction and so forth but I can't for the life of me find where I need to go...

I'm currently on the "Escape the Red Line Territory" objective. It's a large room with a fair amount of guards in it. A circuit breaker to the immediate right when you enter the room. There are several grates which you can jump down into that lead around the room (for sneaking). There are also catwalks up ahead, with one "control room" so to speak.

Vague description here but maybe someone knows the place. I can't for the life of me figure out where I need to go. I've searched the room thoroughly (though apparently not enough), and the objective marker points into the left section of the room (into the wall to be precise).

Hopefully someone will know the area I'm talking about.

Go through the fan that you shut off with the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Leinadi posted:

Man, I usually have a pretty good sense of direction and so forth but I can't for the life of me find where I need to go...

I'm currently on the "Escape the Red Line Territory" objective. It's a large room with a fair amount of guards in it. A circuit breaker to the immediate right when you enter the room. There are several grates which you can jump down into that lead around the room (for sneaking). There are also catwalks up ahead, with one "control room" so to speak.

Vague description here but maybe someone knows the place. I can't for the life of me figure out where I need to go. I've searched the room thoroughly (though apparently not enough), and the objective marker points into the left section of the room (into the wall to be precise).

Hopefully someone will know the area I'm talking about.

It sounds like it might be the area where there is a switch in the control room on the upper level that will turn off a fan that is just off to the left when you are looking at the switch. Climb into the powered down fan to continue on.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Thanks guys, that was it. Had tried that before but didn't quite trigger the "climb into that place cutscene" I guess.

Thanks!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Ok, what the gently caress is going on in the swamp? I went into the airplane, I got the 'search the various gas tanks' animation, then the big monster attacks and leaves after a minute. I thought I had the fuel, but when I go back to the switch it acts like I don't. What the gently caress? Did the game break? I tried reverting to my last checkpoint, but that's in the airplane post-monster attack. I can't find any glowy objects to interact with and it's now loving night! This is loving infuriating.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

WeaponBoy posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is going on in the swamp? I went into the airplane, I got the 'search the various gas tanks' animation, then the big monster attacks and leaves after a minute. I thought I had the fuel, but when I go back to the switch it acts like I don't. What the gently caress? Did the game break? I tried reverting to my last checkpoint, but that's in the airplane post-monster attack. I can't find any glowy objects to interact with and it's now loving night! This is loving infuriating.

You only find empty canisters in the plane. Keep looking elsewhere.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Fewd posted:

You only find empty canisters in the plane. Keep looking elsewhere.

To be precise, you find empty canisters in the first area you look. If you look in the gas station first, you'll find the empty canisters there instead.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

To be precise, you find empty canisters in the first area you look. If you look in the gas station first, you'll find the empty canisters there instead.

Oh, okay. Anyways more about canisters; hard to describe off the top of my head but if you're facing the ferry, and the plane is on your right, the building with gas canisters is on the left, across some water. It has a canister tag on the wall.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Alright, that makes more sense. I had been avoiding overgrown buildings because of those loving tentacles. Hate those things. :mad: But yeah, kinda easy to see the gas station once I knew to look for it. The building has a big gas tank spray painted on it.

e: Second question: Does anyone else have issues with this weird stop-motion fog effect? I'm playing at 1080p with High settings and fog does this weird twitching crap where it's like it's missing 75% of the frames or something. It's super jarring. It doesn't happen on very high, but then my FPS goes from ~60 to ~30 or worse. It's not annoying enough to be worth the FPS hit, but holy poo poo does it look bad.

e2: Here's a video I just made of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuu-oKd0wk

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 20, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WeaponBoy posted:

Alright, that makes more sense. I had been avoiding overgrown buildings because of those loving tentacles. Hate those things. :mad: But yeah, kinda easy to see the gas station once I knew to look for it. The building has a big gas tank spray painted on it.

e: Second question: Does anyone else have issues with this weird stop-motion fog effect? I'm playing at 1080p with High settings and fog does this weird twitching crap where it's like it's missing 75% of the frames or something. It's super jarring. It doesn't happen on very high, but then my FPS goes from ~60 to ~30 or worse. It's not annoying enough to be worth the FPS hit, but holy poo poo does it look bad.

e2: Here's a video I just made of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuu-oKd0wk

Playing the xbox version and I didn't get that. It looks strange, luckily its not there for long.

Feeble posted:

Also, am I the only one who hates the new watch design? I really liked the system in 2033 where you pressed a button to check stealth and filter time. The tiny little numbers on the watch face are too drat small for me to read on my screen :(

I hated the timer system in the first game because I could never tell how much air I had left. In this one I just replace it when my watch beeps, its wonderful.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's easier than 2033. You should just go with Ranger Hardcore.
What about 2033 itself? I'll be playing that one first.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
For 2033, I would suggest ranger easy, and if you really like it, replay on hardcore in a year or two.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Just finished Last Light, now I'm going back and playing through 2033 again. To get the best ending, which I hadn't actually found out about until now. Christ I miss the ability to reliably stealth kill. Last light really fixed that complaint.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Completed this now on Ranger Hardcore and while I loved the game, my only criticism is that it wasn't very difficult. There is literally no reason to use anything but throwing knives on people so the whole lack of ammo thing was a complete non-issue.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

FluffyBunny posted:

Completed this now on Ranger Hardcore and while I loved the game, my only criticism is that it wasn't very difficult. There is literally no reason to use anything but throwing knives on people so the whole lack of ammo thing was a complete non-issue.

I agree. The only time I would run out of ammo was when fighting bullet sponge mutant bosses BUT then I learned that throwing knives kill them a lot faster than bullets somehow and it was no longer an issue.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
The main difficulty was ammo for me as well, as long as I had either buckshot or assault ammo I was unstoppable. There are no enemies that pose a massive threat so long as you can empty a Saiga into their skull.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So I picked this up with ranger mode and am liking it so far, but my one big complaint is the key bindings. Is there a way using a cfg file to bind multiple keys to one action? Certain things I would really like to have on both my keyboard and my mouse.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

dogstile posted:

I hated the timer system in the first game because I could never tell how much air I had left. In this one I just replace it when my watch beeps, its wonderful.
I never got why people couldn't understand it. It's a diving watch, you had those red yellow and green sections on the top right side of the watch and a special red hand on the watch face that went along it. Red hands in the green zone? Great, you've got like 10 minutes, red hand's in the red zone? 3-4 minutes tops. I thought using a diving watch for a filter change time was brilliant and totally fit with the setting. Now we've got this magical digital one that somehow knows to autoreset whenever you swap filters without even touching it.

I dunno, I guess I'm just bitching about 1 of the little touches I really liked from the first one being removed.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Feeble posted:

I never got why people couldn't understand it. It's a diving watch, you had those red yellow and green sections on the top right side of the watch and a special red hand on the watch face that went along it. Red hands in the green zone? Great, you've got like 10 minutes, red hand's in the red zone? 3-4 minutes tops. I thought using a diving watch for a filter change time was brilliant and totally fit with the setting. Now we've got this magical digital one that somehow knows to autoreset whenever you swap filters without even touching it.

I dunno, I guess I'm just bitching about 1 of the little touches I really liked from the first one being removed.

Alternatively, maybe 4A could have added a little to the filter change animation, like having Artyom quickly press a button on the new watch to activate a preset 5 minute timer?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Feeble posted:

Yeah I liked the old watch a little better, if only because the diving watch was more realistic and better looking. But I didn't care for all the times I put a new filter in and it didn't seem to have any effect on the watch. It got terribly confusing sometimes. Glad they fixed that.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So wait. The ending. There's one where you don't explode?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fighting the giant bear actually wasn't that hard for me, but I had a full lot of incendiary grenades, and those are pretty effective.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So wait. The ending. There's one where you don't explode?

Yes. Killing too many humans and not getting enough flash drops will get you the D6 explosion ending. Otherwise the Dark Ones save you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ethanol posted:

Yeah I liked the old watch a little better, if only because the diving watch was more realistic and better looking. But I didn't care for all the times I put a new filter in and it didn't seem to have any effect on the watch. It got terribly confusing sometimes. Glad they fixed that.

That was what I didn't like about it, i'd change the filter and the hands wouldn't move. I've completed that game four or five times and i've never seen the hands move, I just switched up when my guy started wheezing like crazy.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

dogstile posted:

That was what I didn't like about it, i'd change the filter and the hands wouldn't move. I've completed that game four or five times and i've never seen the hands move, I just switched up when my guy started wheezing like crazy.

Yep, there's a glitch apparently where sometimes the watch didn't update itself and show you the wrong filter time. I just kept track manually of filters and never looked at my watch.

Another bug is the Uboinik shotgun not always loading the full 6 shots. Nothing like playing ranger hardcore in 2033 and expectantly running one shot short! Thank God for that bayonet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Red Mundus posted:

Yep, there's a glitch apparently where sometimes the watch didn't update itself and show you the wrong filter time. I just kept track manually of filters and never looked at my watch.

Another bug is the Uboinik shotgun not always loading the full 6 shots. Nothing like playing ranger hardcore in 2033 and expectantly running one shot short! Thank God for that bayonet.

Oh, that wasn't a bug. The chamber on the bottom of the gun couldn't be accessed when re-loading - you literally needed to fire off a round, then reload the additional two shells to get a full payload of 6 shells - that's one of the reasons I loved that gun, it was so infuratingly messed up.

Oh yeah, boss fight in the catacombs: Did anyone else manage to kill Big Momma with a single bullet? I did...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Samovar posted:

Oh, that wasn't a bug. The chamber on the bottom of the gun couldn't be accessed when re-loading - you literally needed to fire off a round, then reload the additional two shells to get a full payload of 6 shells - that's one of the reasons I loved that gun, it was so infuratingly messed up.

Oh yeah, boss fight in the catacombs: Did anyone else manage to kill Big Momma with a single bullet? I did...

I think I did. I just let it destroy everything by ramming into it and then shot it with my assault rifle. I'm not sure if it died on the first hit, though. I thought maybe it was a bug.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

PureRok posted:

Yes. Killing too many humans and not getting enough flash drops will get you the D6 explosion ending. Otherwise the Dark Ones save you.

Wait, killing people takes away Moral points? I thought the only way to gain/lose points is spelled out here: http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Moral_Points ?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Could flickering tessellation issues be a sign that my video card (amd 7950) is defective or is this an AMD wide issue?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
drat, got the good ending and wasn't really trying to. Never gave money to beggars or any side quests. Did find a absolute truck load of documents through the game and i doubt i even got half of them.

Edit: Also, i kept a silenced pistol as my third weapon through the entire game. It's super strong. Make sure to use the hell out of your throwing knives they even work on the wolf monsters in those stealth sections.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 20, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sardonik posted:

Wait, killing people takes away Moral points? I thought the only way to gain/lose points is spelled out here: http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Moral_Points ?

I don't know. I just read it in another forum where someone was asking about it. It would make sense because looking at that list I got most of them (something like 90%) and still didn't get the good ending because I literally slit everyone's throat.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 21, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

Could flickering tessellation issues be a sign that my video card (amd 7950) is defective or is this an AMD wide issue?

I have the same card and haven't had an issue since the patch(it was flickering shadows before). Couldn't tell you if that means your hardware has something wrong with it, though.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I don't think I like this game anymore.

I spent the entirety of the catacombs with absolutely no ammo, monsters glitching the gently caress out and graphical problems.

And then this piece of poo poo boss breaks.

Goddamn it. Anyone else get this bug or is my copy just haunted.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm a tad late to the party, but I just started a replay with the new patch on my 7950.

:stare: Holy loving jesus. This game is beautiful. I mean it was before, but I was only on high and stuttering around everywhere. Now I'm on very high, vertical FOV up to 59, and buttery smooth.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This game is kind of weird graphically. I ran it at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed out, and some stuff looked beautiful, like on a futuristic level, while other stuff looked like it came out of a PS2 game. IIRC, 2033 was the same way. And so was STALKER, which these guys developed before the Metro series.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Do you have any screenshots? I have no recollection of anything like that, everything looked great. Unless you mean poor textures for signs or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sankis posted:

Do you have any screenshots? I have no recollection of anything like that, everything looked great. Unless you mean poor textures for signs or something.

Yeah, just the odd texture here and there. It wasn't everything by any means. The game looked great overall. But every now and then, I'd come across something that looked very low-quality compared to everything else.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The seat in the theater is a good example. That thing is blurry as all hell.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This game is kind of weird graphically. I ran it at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed out, and some stuff looked beautiful, like on a futuristic level, while other stuff looked like it came out of a PS2 game. IIRC, 2033 was the same way. And so was STALKER, which these guys developed before the Metro series.

Yeah, while the engine itself is quite advanced, there's not much to be done for low res textures. Fortunately, STALKER has received about a million texture mods and if Last Light gets an SDK, I imagine we'll get a few here as well.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Broose posted:

The seat in the theater is a good example. That thing is blurry as all hell.

I noticed this also. It pretty much ruined the rest of the playthrough for me because seats like that are simply unacceptable. I hope these guys get on top of this poo poo and release a high-res patch because seriously I wouldn't even fart wetly towards a game as ugly as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It is kind of funny looking in a flower bed or something and just seeing a flat texture of some low res roses. It's kinda like somebody just went "eh" and decided to leave a jpeg printout of some GIS flowers inside the bowl instead of bothering to do any gardening that year.

• Locked thread