Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Moxie Omen posted:

I've got three words for ya!

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3804967566.html

PRO.

STREET.

JAG.

All that is missing is a supercharger sticking through the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfQ4jzUEwU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phade
Oct 8, 2006
Though this isn't specifically a Craigslist find I think it fits here best. I've posted in a couple other threads about things I've found crossing the various Japanese auction blocks, and today I came across something interesting. Anyone have any information about this thing?

The auction sheet says its a 1997 Renault with a 2L engine and 5 speed, but that's all I know about it. It goes up for auction tomorrow with a starting bid of 1,500,000¥ in case anyone's actually interested.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sort of looks like a last-gen MR2 and an Audi dumped a baby under the stands at Mobara.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

phade posted:

The auction sheet says its a 1997 Renault with a 2L engine and 5 speed, but that's all I know about it.

It's a Sport Spider. It's probably worth quite a bit. They're pretty rare.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

phade posted:

Though this isn't specifically a Craigslist find I think it fits here best. I've posted in a couple other threads about things I've found crossing the various Japanese auction blocks, and today I came across something interesting. Anyone have any information about this thing?

The auction sheet says its a 1997 Renault with a 2L engine and 5 speed, but that's all I know about it. It goes up for auction tomorrow with a starting bid of 1,500,000¥ in case anyone's actually interested.

That's a Renault Sport Spider, sort of Renault's MR2, in a way.

Originally built for a spec racing series. Mid-engined RWD, 2L 4-cylinder with 150hp, no roof, 100% awesome. Someone must have been a real enthusiast to own that in Japan.

I want one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What the gently caress.....

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3806561384.html

phade
Oct 8, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a Renault Sport Spider, sort of Renault's MR2, in a way.

Originally built for a spec racing series. Mid-engined RWD, 2L 4-cylinder with 150hp, no roof, 100% awesome. Someone must have been a real enthusiast to own that in Japan.

I want one.

Cool, thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on it to see how much it ends up going for out of curiosity.

These Japanese auctions are kind of strange entities in that obscure cars like this one seem to pop up for sale pretty frequently -- for instance there are 2 of the 572 Alpina B10 3.5/1s ever made listed right now. If there's interest I'll post the interesting ones as I come across them.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I think he's hinting pretty heavily at the OBO. I think a reasonable OBO would be cost of scrap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

phade posted:

Cool, thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on it to see how much it ends up going for out of curiosity.

These Japanese auctions are kind of strange entities in that obscure cars like this one seem to pop up for sale pretty frequently -- for instance there are 2 of the 572 Alpina B10 3.5/1s ever made listed right now. If there's interest I'll post the interesting ones as I come across them.

The actual track version is cooler, 210hp and a 6-speed sequential gearbox. I want one even more than I want the street version, though I could learn to live with the 180hp "Trophy" edition of the street car.

They're all very rare and very rarely put up for sale, unfortunately.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

keykey posted:

I think he's hinting pretty heavily at the OBO. I think a reasonable OBO would be cost of scrap.

Woah woah woah that is a body on frame car. Nothing wrong with a roadster. I don't think the windshield is structural so might as well cut that off too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think this guy might be a little too proud of this WRX wagon. $7k seems a little high for a blown non-stock motor.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3807335663.html

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 15, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
500 AWHP for exactly one pass before that TMIC heatsoaks into oblivion and it throws a rod bearing after being rebuilt.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

phade posted:

If there's interest I'll post the interesting ones as I come across them.

Yes please. :allears:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

phade posted:

Alpinas are less rare in Japan than in most other places, because some huge percentage(like 50%+) of Alpinas sold are actually sold in Japan, and it's a big market for them. Foreign companies selling things in Japan really seem to succeed more by accident than design.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
A "28 YEAR OLD NEW CAR..." for only $12,000.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

phade posted:

How many of these could there be in Japan? I may have seen that same car in 2011, and I have pics somewhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VideoTapir posted:

How many of these could there be in Japan? I may have seen that same car in 2011, and I have pics somewhere.

Renaults are sold officially in Japan, but I don't know if that only started with the Nissan partnership in 1999.

It's extremely likely that it's the same car. Especially if the one you spotted was LHD as well, as they did come in RHD for Japan and Britain etc.

More pictures here: http://motoringconbrio.com/2013/03/01/renaultsport-spider-in-japan/

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 16, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I saw one of those Renault Spiders when I was in New Zealand back in 2010. Good looking car in the flesh.

Infact, here's the pic I took of it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Centripetal Horse posted:

A "28 YEAR OLD NEW CAR..." for only $12,000.

:psyduck: Why would someone preserve such a common car? How bizarre.

Maybe a Grand National, or a Hurst/Olds, but not a Grand Prix...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

:psyduck: Why would someone preserve such a common car? How bizarre.

Maybe a Grand National, or a Hurst/Olds, but not a Grand Prix...

Probably belonged to someone who never drove or couldn't drive.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Divorce fallout 3000 track car project:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Mazda-MAZDASPEED-Protege-RACING-SHELL-Combo-deal-W0QQAdIdZ478676388

quote:

The plan was to take the drive-train and computer from the Mazdaspeed and transplant it in the racing shell. Add some versatile suspension and you have a solid track and rally vehicle.

2004 MAZDASPEED Protege
Runs very strong. Ownership shows no brand. No accidents. All interior has been gutted and sold except dash. Side Skirts and Rear bumper have been removed, but are being sold with the car. It was stored all winter in my garage. Just pulled it out and started up.
2.0L engine with Garrett T25 TurboCharger (Stock Setup)
Racingbeat stainless exhaust
Racing beat suspension
Racing Hart 17" Wheels

2001 Mazda Protege Racing Shell
Rolling chassis includes:

acid dipped chassis
Complete 10 point cage
Dg motorsports modified (made wider) one piece front end (5000 usd value)
fiberglass rear doors
fiberglass rear trunk
lexan windows
Traction bars
awr front control arms with spherical bearings
brembo rotors with ebc pads
custom mx6 front spindles with arp extended wheelstuds
autometer silver monster tach
autometer siver liquid filled 60psi boost gage
autometer warning light

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

All that money dumped into it and he thinks that car is going to be a track or rally car? Talk about spending money with no idea what you're doing. :psyduck:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Octopus Magic posted:

All that money dumped into it and he thinks that car is going to be a track or rally car? Talk about spending money with no idea what you're doing. :psyduck:

Well, he was obviously building it as a drag car, but I think he's suggesting that it would be a good start for a track or rally car with the stripped interior, cage, and such.
My question is why would you do the transplant from a perfectly usable MS Protege? Sell the driver, and just buy/build a racing engine.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Well, he was obviously building it as a drag car, but I think he's suggesting that it would be a good start for a track or rally car with the stripped interior, cage, and such.
My question is why would you do the transplant from a perfectly usable MS Protege? Sell the driver, and just buy/build a racing engine.

Rally/Track cars have completely different designed rollcages

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Please, don't clutter your ad with too many pictures.

or any, beside one extreme closeup...thats cool.

I...I don't know what to think here.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mighty Horse posted:

I...I don't know what to think here.

Ok if no one will say it, I will. I think its bad rear end. Its like the best of both worlds. If it was only 4x4..... :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Octopus Magic posted:

Yeah, I thought that we the case, but was giving the benefit of the doubt, there. I still think he's better off selling them separately.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok if no one will say it, I will. I think its bad rear end. Its like the best of both worlds. If it was only 4x4..... :getin:

As my dad says, 4 Wheel drive only means you get bogged twice as fast ;)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Octopus Magic posted:

Probably one of the reasons he's getting divorced

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Now I've seen my share of CL turd pickups, but this looks like one of the more solid beater trucks I've ever seen. I've seen poo poo without engines go for a thousand bucks more. Gold?

Barring poo poo like rocker rust, this thing is good for another decade

http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/3757394330.html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Oklahoma huh. Sure it's still there?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Now I've seen my share of CL turd pickups, but this looks like one of the more solid beater trucks I've ever seen. I've seen poo poo without engines go for a thousand bucks more. Gold?

Barring poo poo like rocker rust, this thing is good for another decade

http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/3757394330.html

Sounds like a lot of the normally sketchy bits have been taken care of, so, yeah, it'll go for a while, most likely.
Rust isn't too much of an issue in OK, I'd wager (and yet, even here in north TX, my Cutlass, and pretty much every unrestored one I've seen, manages to rust out just behind the wheel openings.)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats a pretty drat solid truck.

As long as they don't rust to hell, they will go and go and go. All the parts are readily available too, and dirt rear end cheap too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, don't get much better buy for a solid beater than that. Maybe an F150 with a 300... maybe.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Actual gold? Considering it, probably wouldn't be great for the winter though...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C390705

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://winchester.craigslist.org/cto/3824056376.html

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Actual gold? Considering it, probably wouldn't be great for the winter though...

Sick for the winter.

My Saab 900 convertible had an oven like heater, with perfectly placed floor vents that actually warmed your feet, not your shins.

With seat heaters? It's a beautiful winter car. Seriously.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Ah...the elusive Ghost Ram....really hard to take pictures of, even bears are scared of it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Swedish cars almost invariably have heaters that can brown toast. It's the air conditioning you need to worry about (except not in a Saab convertible, in which case it's the rest of the car you need to worry about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Mighty Horse posted:

Ah...the elusive Ghost Ram....really hard to take pictures of, even bears are scared of it.

I prefer to imagine that the bear is waiting for tire-kickers.