Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
I'm not sure how all of you got the impression that Armin is the main character when it's clearly all about Sasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

Not to mention that Doctor Jaeger had regular appointments with her before poo poo went down (and then adopted her, which probably didn't slow down whatever he was doing).

Notice, also, that the anime has used lightning effects to show weird Titan stuff (like the Colossal's sudden appearance, and the berserker-Titan's regeneration). Sure, the lightning flashes and the cracking wood may have been symbolic, but it's a symbolism that seems eerily similar to actual, 'real-world' stuff happening in the show.

It doesn't even need to be this complex. In a vacuum that scene was showing her exhibiting hysterical strength under high stress/fear (the question of whether this actually exists or not is another issue). To the earlier posters, the question of if child-Mikasa was "ripped" or not is irrelevant. They use the visual motif again in the same context, and again can be independent of her rippedness or whatever theory you have on Doctor Jaeger.

Also, as an anime-only viewer, it is still borderline goony/creepy to keep seeing excuses brought up here to talk about Mikasa's body when in context of the anime-only they have not made much mention or highlight on her other than "special" and "asian".

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I think that at the very least the contempary Mikasa is really just freakishly strong, remember in episode one she sends Eren flying several feet with an underarm and one handed toss and in that case she was only mildly PO'd at him rather than fighting for her life like in the flashback. Is there any indication that I missed of how long passed between Mikasa being adopted and the series starting?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

AnacondaHL posted:

It doesn't even need to be this complex. In a vacuum that scene was showing her exhibiting hysterical strength under high stress/fear (the question of whether this actually exists or not is another issue). To the earlier posters, the question of if child-Mikasa was "ripped" or not is irrelevant. They use the visual motif again in the same context, and again can be independent of her rippedness or whatever theory you have on Doctor Jaeger.

Also, as an anime-only viewer, it is still borderline goony/creepy to keep seeing excuses brought up here to talk about Mikasa's body when in context of the anime-only they have not made much mention or highlight on her other than "special" and "asian".

When a 5 foot something female scores better on the strength test than the 6 foot something male, you know she's packing some guns.

[edit]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ak Gara posted:

Now I'm imagining the show staring Shinji Ikari.

It... doesn't actually change anything :confused:

Mikoto: Shinji, instead of joining the Recon Force you should run away with me.

Shinji: OK.

THE END

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AnacondaHL posted:

She stepped on the ground and somehow made the floor explode, crushed a knife blade handle, can do crazy flips, etc, hoists Eren around like its nothing at times, and more. She's also literally their best soldier.

I also don't really see why talking about/speculating on the source of one of the protagonist's insane strength is creepy or goony. I mean, she's just leagues ahead of anyone else to the point where it seems almost supernatural. It seems pretty normal to me to speculate as to why.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Question about adaptation stuff, since I know nothing about how Japan works: Do manga authors tend to have manuscripts? Or, how often have those been used when an adaptation caught up?

(I only ever saw FMA: Brotherhood, but I looked up how the original anime ended and it sounded kind of silly. Dunno how many other anime adaptations there have been from ongoing series. A lot?)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sometimes they do but in a lot of cases the manga just ends so far ahead of the anime that the anime had no choice but to come up with an original ending because at best the creator of the manga has only a vague idea of how it will end.

With FMA, the manga ended about 6 years after the original anime. Or for an even more extreme example, the Trigun anime ran in 1998. The manga didn't finish until 2008.

I can't even think of an anime based on a manga that used author's notes to come up with an ending, I'm sure there's at least one example out there but most of the time they either come up with their own ending or end it in such a way that it's ultimately a long advertisement for the manga.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cheston posted:

Question about adaptation stuff, since I know nothing about how Japan works: Do manga authors tend to have manuscripts? Or, how often have those been used when an adaptation caught up?

(I only ever saw FMA: Brotherhood, but I looked up how the original anime ended and it sounded kind of silly. Dunno how many other anime adaptations there have been from ongoing series. A lot?)

Mangaka use things called names, which are like really rough storyboards that're just meant to give you a sense of the paneling, angles, dialog, etc. Sometimes these will even be used when the story writer isn't actually drawing the manga, like in the case of Death Note, but in other cases the story writer will just write up a script for the artist to adapt, yes. Since Isayama does art and story by himself it's far more likely that he does names instead of scripts, though no doubt he has tons of scribbled notes on the world and characters in a binder somewhere too.

Isayama claims to have the whole story plotted out already, so the only way we're getting an anime original ending is if the studio decides that's the best move.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Srice posted:

they either come up with their own ending or end it in such a way that it's ultimately a long advertisement for the manga.
This is pretty much how Gantz played out. Perfectly adapt the first few battles, then do a quick original ending that doesn't explain anything. It's essentially just saying, "hey, go read the manga now."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Thanks for that you goddamn shitheel.

Seriously. You put that out like you were spoiled on the first seven episodes. Which I've seen.

Please manga people just shut up okay? You have your own thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 21, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Giggily posted:

She stepped on the ground and somehow made the floor explode, crushed a knife blade handle, can do crazy flips, etc, hoists Eren around like its nothing at times, and more. She's also literally their best soldier.

I also don't really see why talking about/speculating on the source of one of the protagonist's insane strength is creepy or goony. I mean, she's just leagues ahead of anyone else to the point where it seems almost supernatural. It seems pretty normal to me to speculate as to why.

You read wrong: I don't care if you speculate on someone's strength, in fact in my very post that is what I am doing (matching the spark animation to hysterical strength under stress). And I am perfectly aware that in the story, chronologically, since Eren saved her through present time, she has likely been working her rear end off to be strong and able to fight.

I said it keeps being brought up here in the context of her body, which is irrelevant, and it is getting pretty goony, to the point of posting pictures of her body and dimensions etc. If she were as small as Krista or as big as Jean it would neither change the story (so far in the anime) nor the symbolic visualization of her super-survival mode nor the concept of how strong she is.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Affi posted:

Seriously. You put that out like you were spoiled on the first seven episodes. Which I've seen.

Can we please not have another JoJo's thread where people act like goony assholes every time someone talks about the manga? It got to the point in that thread where the only two topics of discussion were ":tviv: new episode!!!" and whining about perceived spoilers.

I mean in some cases it makes sense but the thing you're getting angry about isn't even a spoiler, the show's been about as subtle as a loving brick about it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Affi posted:

I think that's unfair. There's a number of us who you probably wouldn't even suspect have read the manga unless we came out and told you, and we're enjoying the ride along with you while staying silent about what we know.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

You read wrong: I don't care if you speculate on someone's strength, in fact in my very post that is what I am doing (matching the spark animation to hysterical strength under stress). And I am perfectly aware that in the story, chronologically, since Eren saved her through present time, she has likely been working her rear end off to be strong and able to fight.

I said it keeps being brought up here in the context of her body, which is irrelevant, and it is getting pretty goony, to the point of posting pictures of her body and dimensions etc. If she were as small as Krista or as big as Jean it would neither change the story (so far in the anime) nor the symbolic visualization of her super-survival mode nor the concept of how strong she is.
The reason Mikasa's arms aren't five times thicker is because she's a like 15 year old anime girl and has fans to cater to. "Goony" goons sperging about muscle mass just seems like such a dumb thing to be creeped out by.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you're going to talk about something from the manga that hasn't happened in the anime yet then do it in the manga thread. There is no reason why you have to do something like that in this thread and even hinting at something is loving awful so don't do it.

Edit:

WickedIcon posted:

I mean in some cases it makes sense but the thing you're getting angry about isn't even a spoiler, the show's been about as subtle as a loving brick about it.
It's still a stupid thing to do. Everyone knows that he's probably not dead but confirming it is a horrible thing to do as it removes any sense of doubt.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 20, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't read the manga, but about that spoiler... (Manga spoilers maybe? I don't even know, but I guess it's an answer to something that has been widely speculated so don't click if you're paranoid about spoilers!)

It seems to be just confirming what nearly everyone in the thread has been speculating on. There's just a ton of obvious clues that Eren is still alive in some way. We have the flashbacks about the injection and the key, and plus Eren has gotten the bulk of character development thus far, spending 1/5th of the anime to develop him only to kill him off uneventfully would just be bad writing. Did anyone seriously believe that Eren was gone for good?

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010
While I agree with you that it seems like an unusual decision to dedicate 1/5 of the show to developing Eren, only to kill him would be strange and unusual, it would also get the message across that shonen hero determinism won't get you far in this world. Think about it, does Eren actually accomplish anything when he goes all gung-ho about stuff? No. He just yells the loudest and accomplishes nothing. He nearly got him and his sister killed in the beginning, he couldn't balance on the 3D gear at first because he didn't even check to see if his equipment was working, and he got himself killed because he wanted to be the hero that saves everyone. He just needed to think more about his actions before he took them.

To me it actually just adds to the message that I feel has been popping its head up every now and again. Only the intelligent and practical have the right to survive in this titan filled world.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's one thing to speculate something that's highly probable and another to outright say: "This thing happens and I know because I've been following the manga/heard from manga readers so I know for sure".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think that's unfair. There's a number of us who you probably wouldn't even suspect have read the manga unless we came out and told you, and we're enjoying the ride along with you while staying silent about what we know.

Then there's others who keep posting manga spoilers or who write essays every episode on how it wasn't as good because it was slightly different then some manga panel.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

doublegomez posted:

he couldn't balance on the 3D gear at first because he didn't even check to see if his equipment was working

To me it actually just adds to the message that I feel has been popping its head up every now and again. Only the intelligent and practical have the right to survive in this titan filled world.

To be fair, that one wasn't really his fault. Nobody thought to check that part to see if it malfunctioned. In fact, the instructor specifically says they'll have to add that part to inspection because he didn't know it could fail. Eren does a lot of hotheaded things, but he's not an idiot. He's actually a very good learner.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Mercrom posted:

The reason Mikasa's arms aren't five times thicker is because she's a like 15 year old anime girl and has fans to cater to. "Goony" goons sperging about muscle mass just seems like such a dumb thing to be creeped out by.
It's actually hard for women to bulk up even as they get stronger; check out the women's weightlifting thread in YLLS. And as an Asian woman the size and weight of Krista's freckled friend, I don't think I can visibly gain a whole lot of muscle definition even as I lift more. :cry:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Bear in mind that in the OP of the manga thread Zorak spoils the premise in the way rainy day describes. I guess it's not a big deal.

Srice posted:

I haven't read the manga, but about that spoiler... (Manga spoilers maybe? I don't even know, but I guess it's an answer to something that has been widely speculated so don't click if you're paranoid about spoilers!)

It seems to be just confirming what nearly everyone in the thread has been speculating on. There's just a ton of obvious clues that Eren is still alive in some way. We have the flashbacks about the injection and the key, and plus Eren has gotten the bulk of character development thus far, spending 1/5th of the anime to develop him only to kill him off uneventfully would just be bad writing. Did anyone seriously believe that Eren was gone for good?
How would it be bad writing? I don't see how killing off Eren would be neither uneventful nor meaningless, because of how much his story is tied to Mikasa's. She has been following him like a shadow since the beginning of the show, making his backstory also hers. Because of that Mikasa makes just as much sense as the main character at this point.

Edit:

Autumncomet posted:

It's actually hard for women to bulk up even as they get stronger; check out the women's weightlifting thread in YLLS. And as an Asian woman the size and weight of Krista's freckled friend, I don't think I can visibly gain a whole lot of muscle definition even as I lift more. :cry:
Then again I doubt you (or anyone for that matter) are as strong as Mikasa. If you were born as the ultimate fighting machine or had your own Dr. Jaeger to give you anabolic steroids you would be ripped I'm sure.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 21, 2013

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mercrom posted:

Bear in mind that in the OP of the manga thread Zorak spoils the premise in the way rainy day describes. I guess it's not a big deal.

How would it be bad writing? I don't see how killing off Eren would be neither uneventful nor meaningless, because of how much his story is tied to Mikasa's. She has been following him like a shadow since the beginning of the show, making his backstory also hers. Because of that Mikasa makes just as much sense as the main character at this point.

It's Gurrenn Lagann all over again, they killed Kamina off so Simon could take over.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mercrom posted:

The reason Mikasa's arms aren't five times thicker is because

Erm, by "symbolic visualization" I was talking about the electrical sparky thingy.

Mercrom posted:

"Goony" goons sperging about muscle mass just seems like such a dumb thing to be creeped out by.

Thanks for your opinion, and in general your statement may be reasonable, but in the particular context of what's happened in this thread I will continue to disagree.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zettace posted:

It's one thing to speculate something that's highly probable and another to outright say: "This thing happens and I know because I've been following the manga/heard from manga readers so I know for sure".

Pretty much. It happened constantly in the Jojo's thread, too, which makes it really weird that people are acting like the problem was people complaining about spoilers, and not, you know, the constant, often unlabeled spoilers!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mercrom posted:

Edit:

Then again I doubt you (or anyone for that matter) are as strong as Mikasa. If you were born as the ultimate fighting machine or had your own Dr. Jaeger to give you anabolic steroids you would be ripped I'm sure.

Non-manga reader, speculation ahead:

I agree that it would not be completely inconceivable to have Eren die off early and focus on Mikasa. That said, the fact that the Titan has green eyes and a similar hairstyle (plus the requisite amount of :black101:) pretty much screams that this is Eren in titan form. The only question to be had at this point is if he can somehow transform back into a human or if he's stuck being The Angriest Titan)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mercrom posted:

Well, it's mostly the backstory combined with all the other clues. Stuff like Eren getting a mysterious injection would be one hell of a false flag if it were to be never mentioned again. It would be a fake out for the sake of being a fake out, nothing more.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mercrom posted:

No he doesn't. The OP of the manga thread was made somewhere around when all that was out was 3 or 4 chapters, and is very generic in it's description. There is no more information in the post than what you'd get from reading chapter one.

If you want to talk about things that haven't happened yet and you've read the manga or were told by your friends what happens, talk about it in the manga thread. If you want to talk about how cool/freaky/awesome something that happened in the anime was or speculate without any manga knowledge talk about it here. Don't see how that's complicated.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Srice posted:

Well, it's mostly the backstory combined with all the other clues. Stuff like Eren getting a mysterious injection would be one hell of a false flag if it were to be never mentioned again. It would be a fake out for the sake of being a fake out, nothing more.

It wouldn't necessarily never be mentioned again. It could easily be like "this was supposed to do something, but he died before it could, and when mikasa/armin reach the basement and break down the door they found out what that poo poo was" or something. Just because you can't figure out a way to take hints like that have an effect despite the character they were involved with getting their rear end killed doesn't mean there wouldn't be a way.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pretty much. It happened constantly in the Jojo's thread, too, which makes it really weird that people are acting like the problem was people complaining about spoilers, and not, you know, the constant, often unlabeled spoilers!
I'd like Zorak to clarify if this thread has different rules because of how this manga is new and has a serious plot. In that thread it seemed perfectly acceptable to nonchalantly write for example "Fartz" while talking about something that happens 50 chapters later. It spoiled the very last plot twist in that show to me which I would rather not have happen with this one.

Srice posted:

But that's because we're all assuming the injection is some super-soldier serum while it's actually more reasonable to assume something slightly more realistic like a virus that only affects titans... and has to be ingested. Maybe Eren's dad is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

A big flaming stink posted:

Non-manga reader, speculation ahead:

I agree that it would not be completely inconceivable to have Eren die off early and focus on Mikasa. That said, the fact that the Titan has green eyes and a similar hairstyle (plus the requisite amount of :black101:) pretty much screams that this is Eren in titan form. The only question to be had at this point is if he can somehow transform back into a human or if he's stuck being The Angriest Titan)
I think the best thing would be a combination of the two. Eren lives on but only as a titan, with limited memories and ability to communicate with humans.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 22, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
One of the things I loved about this one was the Rogue Titan's yell. It was probably one of the main things from the manga I was curious about how they'd portray, and it's perfect.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

miscellaneous14 posted:

One of the things I loved about this one was the Rogue Titan's yell. It was probably one of the main things from the manga I was curious about how they'd portray, and it's perfect.

Yeah, that scene/the whole show is pretty much way cooler in the anime than how it seemed in the manga so far, which rules. The only thing that weirds me out is that I imagined Titans as being a lot more translucent.

Here's to hoping that when the anime catches up to the manga the author just dictates the plot out and lets the anime finish first.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

Does the other, common Titan yell on the manga as well? I've read this arc, but it's been awhile an i don't remember seen it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Does the other, common Titan yell on the manga as well? I've read this arc, but it's been awhile an i don't remember seen it.

Yes, it does.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
The titan fighting in the anime was extremely entertaining. I'm really excited to see where they go from here. It's brutal, and I love it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 22, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to join the Eren is now a titan group. I understand what some of you guys have said about Eren's story being Mikasa's story, but if that's the case then it was one hell of an unceremoniously terrible switch-off. It's as if they were both going on a run to an important place, but early in their journey Eren runs into a pole and dies on the spot and Mikasa just keeps on running as if she just took his place as the lead runner. Eren will return as a character, either as some sort of hybrid titan or even the rogue titan from ep 7, or his body is remade by some voodoo magic that gets explained later on.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I watch this on Tuesdays, so after a kickass episode there's a very great temptation to give in and just watch it earlier the moment the episode comes out. I think two things stop me. First, that's a trick that will only work once before I'm back to square one.

Second, when I check on this thread and play catchup reading the 100+ posts since I bailed, I can't help but take notice of all of the littered corpses of posters who tried to spoil things. Pretty much every week. I really appreciate the mod team vanguard.

Mercrom posted:

I'd like Zorak to clarify if this thread has different rules because of how this manga is new and has a serious plot. In that thread it seemed perfectly acceptable to nonchalantly write for example "Neo-Eren" while talking about something that happens 50 chapters later. It spoiled the very last plot twist in that show to me which I would rather not have happen with this one.
JoJo Spoilers I guess?
You say the last plot twist in that show, so having finished that I assume it's not a spoiler for me anymore, but I'm curious (Based on your wording of "Neo-Eren") what that plot twist was? (Unless it IS a spoiler from outside the show?)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Zogundar posted:

JoJo Spoilers I guess?
You say the last plot twist in that show, so having finished that I assume it's not a spoiler for me anymore, but I'm curious (Based on your wording of "Neo-Eren") what that plot twist was? (Unless it IS a spoiler from outside the show?)
Jojo-spoilers: Neo-Dio. The thing that actually bummed me out about the spoiler was that I was hoping for Dio to return in part 2, but it revealed that he only returns for part 3. :(

Also I just want to say, now that the characters don't make me want to punch myself in the face anymore this is already my favorite anime. It's the most :black101: and :stare: series I've ever seen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I don't really get what people's issue with Eren was. He was basically shounen spirit taken to a psychotic extreme and everyone around him thought he was crazy because of it. I found that a lot of fun, personally.

Also, why are there JoJo spoilers in a completely unrelated thread? They aren't exactly major spoilers of part 3 but still.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 22, 2013

• Locked thread