Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Mario 64 is definitely way better than mario sunshine. You can beat mario 64 in less than 8 minutes, it takes at least an hour and a half to beat sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

heeheex2 posted:

Mario 64 is definitely way better than mario sunshine. You can beat mario 64 in less than 8 minutes, it takes at least an hour and a half to beat sunshine.
I'm pretty sure that's the lenght of the opening cutscene in Sunshine, actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

He was just responding to something we discussed in the episode. Maybe dont take Mario 2 stat debates so seriously: either its all nonsense or none of it is.

Your calming influence and scrupulous demands for politeness and reason are by far the best part of your LPs. You boys are the philosopher kings of Let's Play.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Jack Gladney posted:

Your calming influence and scrupulous demands for politeness and reason are by far the best part of your LPs. You boys are the philosopher kings of Let's Play.
Seriously, I'm always very relaxed listening to you guys, it's very calming. Now I see why people listen to podcasts if guys like you make them :D

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
On part 13 right now. This has been one of the most enjoyable let's plays to watch/listen to. It goes from really interesting notes about the games/Nintendo history to discussions about jam/jelly/marmalade. And it just works.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
poo poo, I've been away from the forums. Now I have to overdose on these videos to catch up.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) (1988)
Part 4/6 (LP pt.13) [Youtube][Source]

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Keith, you mentioned "applying the death panel", are you sure it's not the death penalty? Because death panels are something different.

Good skill on killing the fire guy.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
You know, all that talk about Super Smash Bros' title has really reminded me of when I was young. For the longest time, I thought there was a game that preceded Super Smash Bros called simply "Smash Bros.". I guess Capcom's way of naming their Street Fighter II sequels probably gave that mindset.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Where the hell did you find this poll you're reading from? :psyduck:

A Nice Coat
Aug 12, 2011
With regards to that quiz, I can think of a few reasons for those questions:

1. It is looking for a correlation between abusive behaviour and right-wing authoritarianism (by the psychological definition). Could also be certain political views in general (the nudist camp one would be a deeply liberal view), but the amount leaning to right-wing authoritarianism makes me think it is that.
2. It is looking for a correlation between abusive behaviour and paranoia.
3. It is merely putting those questions in so you can't pin down the purpose of the quiz and skew your answers toward a desired overall result. This would allow for it just to be a survey of abuse among college students.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Those birds were definitely ostriches rather than emus, since emus are brownish rather than black and white.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You have no idea how much RAGE you filled me with on 4-2 when you didn't go left for the mushroom on the whale section!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I love the whale level. This game will always have a place in my heart for crazy stuff like that. :allears:

Portals posted:

Those birds were definitely ostriches rather than emus, since emus are brownish rather than black and white.

If I recall, they're called ostros, so yeah. Although they're mislabeled in the credits!

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Guys, you missed the most important enemy in the game! :(

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Choco1980 posted:

You have no idea how much RAGE you filled me with on 4-2 when you didn't go left for the mushroom on the whale section!

Yes, but do you feel that we need a strong leader to crush the godless rabble rousers who best keep their opinions to themselves? Also, what do you think of nudist camps?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I was on the fence about Quiz, but the more I hear, the more I think he has the strength of will to return our nation to greatness. I pledge myself to Quiz. My life for you!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I thought the PB archives were lost to the ages.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We need a good, strong, nudist leader who will put those filthy Clothsies in their place.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought the PB archives were lost to the ages.

It's pretty much all still there, although to see a lot of the images you'll need to replace the https://www. with archives.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

We need a good, strong, nudist leader who will put those filthy Clothsies in their place.

So you are Barry Stark? why not try to get Lazlow to be the leader?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
for Mario Kart lightweights like Toad have great acceleration and slower top speed and ok handling. Heavy weights have great top speed, poor acceleration and I think better handling.

I played too much Mario Kart in my day.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Oh that quiz is totally trying to judge whether being Right-Wing Authoritarian/Social Dominators are more likely to be in an abusive relationship or abuse a partner. Some of those questions are directly ripped from the RWA quiz.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
The whole paranoia thing might be par for the course for some psych studies. I participated in one that seemed to be examining handling of stress during premenstrual periods and got asked some paranoia questions in the interview portion.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Seer235 posted:

Oh that quiz is totally trying to judge whether being Right-Wing Authoritarian/Social Dominators are more likely to be in an abusive relationship or abuse a partner. Some of those questions are directly ripped from the RWA quiz.

Or to show how drat dirty liberals beat their wives, it's a toss up really.

I'm glad you guys decided to keep going with Mario 2 instead of abandoning it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Or to show how drat dirty liberals beat their wives, it's a toss up really.

I'm inclined to agree with Seer235, the questions paint a pretty strawman perspective of conservativism and I'd have a hard time believing whoever whipped that survey up didn't go in with a mind already made up about the right wing.

Unless it was a clever double-bluff! :tinfoil:

Whoever fit that nudist camp question in, though, that guy deserves a pat on the back.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mooseontheloose posted:

for Mario Kart lightweights like Toad have great acceleration and slower top speed and ok handling. Heavy weights have great top speed, poor acceleration and I think better handling.

I played too much Mario Kart in my day.

Lightweight : Fantastic Handling/Acceleration like crazy but outsped by everything if it can move faster then a snail

Middleweight : Just as it sounds takes turns pretty hard but everything is average. For some reason in the latest game Daisy is middle weight, but the character herself just moves the fastest out of anyone. You see a lot of Daisy online (and her voice clip)

Heavyweight: lovely Handling, they loving slam into everything, awful acceleration but at top speed they shove every racer aside and barrel through everything.

:colbert: I like Mario Kart, played every single one of em... (I play as lightweight characters mostly :v: )

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Seer235 posted:

Yeah, I thought those sounded familiar. The Authoritarians is worth a read. The quiz is on pages 11 and 12.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think now that you guys have twoscore and some lives, you should stop stressing about the bonus chances. Because seriously.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Don't listen to this guy. Bonus Chance is always serious time. :colbert:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Choco1980 posted:

Don't listen to this guy. Bonus Chance is always serious time. :colbert:

Stop enabling Kyle's gambling addiction!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I only have one question: Catherine with a K or Katherine with a C?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The relationship quiz tests whether you and your partner have compatible senses of humor by seeing if you'll pick the same obviously ridiculous answers on terrible questions. It's pretty brilliant really.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
The last two episodes had a noticeable increase in quality, I can appreciate that.

Third Murderer posted:

If I recall, they're called ostros, so yeah.

They're indeed called Ostros, which is also Birdo's birthname. I think.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Comrade Question posted:

The last two episodes had a noticeable increase in quality, I can appreciate that.

They're indeed called Ostros, which is also Birdo's birthname. I think.

No, the Ostro/Birdo thing in the game is just a mistake with the labeling.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
gently caress the tension at the start of that vid was just UGH on the edge of my seat for like twenty seconds! I am absolutely loving Keith's Jedi-like explanation of the Bonus Chance games, it's beautiful.

And I always played Peach, simply because hover-jump was the best ability for me at the time, and I was a stupid kid that had terrible reflexes. Mario is always the jack-of-all-trades in pretty much everything ever since all the other characters need someone NORMAL to compare to. It's always been that way.

And to answer your question, Toad has great handling and awesome acceleration in the Mario Kart games because he's in the Lightweight class, but he has terrible top speed and weight, making him much easier to be bashed around by the heavyweights. He also has some pretty good off-handling in later games.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno if it's cause you guys are playing on a CRT and I'm playing on an emulator with a controller, but by now i feel like you should have figured out how to bonus chance better. The third slot has the same cherry timing as the first one, the second one is the only one I can't get a cherry on every time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lightweight : Fantastic Handling/Acceleration like crazy but outsped by everything if it can move faster then a snail

Middleweight : Just as it sounds takes turns pretty hard but everything is average. For some reason in the latest game Daisy is middle weight, but the character herself just moves the fastest out of anyone. You see a lot of Daisy online (and her voice clip)

Heavyweight: lovely Handling, they loving slam into everything, awful acceleration but at top speed they shove every racer aside and barrel through everything.

:colbert: I like Mario Kart, played every single one of em... (I play as lightweight characters mostly :v: )

Whenever I play Mario Kart I just play my favourite character. My favourite character is Daisy (because she's is to Peach as Luigi is to Mario) so I rather like the latest Mario Kart.

EDIT: Though I'm pretty sure Daisy is just the fastest Middleweight character with her speed bonus, and Funky Kong (the Heavy driver with a speed bonus) is faster.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 22, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The true answer is that Peach is there for your sister to play as and then you play Luigi because Mario would be weird and nobody cares about Toad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The true answer is that Peach is there for your sister to play as and then you play Luigi because Mario would be weird and nobody cares about Toad.

Of course people care about Toad! Why, you can play as TWO Toads now!

:argh:

• Locked thread