Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That Old Ganon posted:

For the moment I'm putting aside EO2 to start up EO3. I really don't like how my party turned out in the former, and can't honestly fathom how I managed to get to the fifth stratum with said party, and yet at the same time I don't feel like starting over from the beginning because it's been so long since I played it. So it's EO3 time!

Are the most popular class mixtures in the OP popular for cheesing reasons, maybe? I'd be all for it since for a vast amount of EO2 my mantra was "Where is my Immunize? :negative:" Since I've only just turned EO3 on, I don't think there'd be any harm in trying at least some of them out, particularly Hoplite/Ninja.

As someone who's only halfway through the Third Stratum after months of on/off play because he keeps loving around with builds and resting people to try new ones, Hoplite/Ninja is absolutely incredible and I can't think of a better possible subclass. I posted about it a few posts up but the gist of it is that since a Hoplite's damage is rear end anyway the best choice I found is to just sink a few points into that evasion skill along with the parries and provoke.

But now I'm thinking of what else Hoplite might benefit from. Maybe subclassing into Monk and going for the skill that restores health every time you use a skill? Along with Recuperate, that'd mean that you'd be recovering HP every round since you're either using defend or using a skill (that defends other party members). Plus in the case you do manage to get taken down, you give all remaining party members a few extra HP as a parting gift. It'd cost a few more points than the Ninja route, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You can't even access sub-classing until you finish the 2nd Stratum so I wouldn't worry about it yet. The beauty of EOIII is that you can make a bunch of level 1s, spend all their points on Combat Study and stick them in the guild until it's time to go collect quest EXP. Nice, painless leveling! Also lets you maintain a deeper bench without a ton of grinding.

In a lot of ways, EOII is the least user friendly of the series. Several aspects are more polished compared to the first game, but the lack of FOE exp. and healing fountains make it an incredible chore to recover the difference if you get stuck somewhere and have to Rest your party.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know, I didn't think of asking this: which does EO3 value more? Offensive or defensive play?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

That Old Ganon posted:

You know, I didn't think of asking this: which does EO3 value more? Offensive or defensive play?

There's no defensive skill as ridiculous as Immunize or Painless, but there are several offensive options about as ridiculous as Revenge (with more setup requried), so offensive I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Actually, I have a EOIII question while you other vets are here, how do you normally manage your party's TP?

Buccaneers and Ninjas are self sufficient to an extent with a skill that restores TP after using a skill on the former and the skill that flat out reduces all TP usage by 10 on the other, but what about everyone else? I've resorted to Resting my Ninja into a N/Z and spamming Dark Ether every turn because Gladiators are complete TP hogs and can blow their entire reserve in a few battles if you push it (or the first few turns of a FOE/boss). It's gotten to the point where instead of having fun with the Swashbuckling/Lady Luck/Kubikri build I was aiming for I ended up just replacing him with a second Gladiator (with clubs instead of swords so it doesn't feel too much like having a duplicate) because I might as well be using the free TP for something considering the Bucc would never use a skill.

I've tried just lugging around more Amritas, but I not only raced through those but managed to use so many that I had to go grind for more materials (twice). I'm currently just carrying around a bunch of tents, but is there an easier way to manage stuff that I'm missing? Should I be putting points into that TP Up common skill or something, taking away from my damage output? I know I've been considering doing that for my Princess's anemic TP pool, at least.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wrist Watch posted:

Actually, I have a EOIII question while you other vets are here, how do you normally manage your party's TP?

I'm an outlier buildwise, but I designed a party that used the multiplicative nature of buffs to ensure that I never had to use attack powers on trash.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Question about forges for max level Nightseekers: Is it worth forging a staus ailment in the main weapon? I've capped Luck, so I've started putting crit and atk forges in the off-hand and my Nightseeker murders the gently caress out of everything thus far. With so many capped throws now, I wonder if it's worth having a weapon that can proc ailments at all. Unless the 8 slot weapons make applying them much easier.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

No, you should never forge any ailments except petrify or instant death to a weapon. The proc chance is very low, it only triggers on basic attacks, and if it does trigger it'll overwrite whatever status already exists on the target. That last doesn't matter for petrify or instant death, so it's not as bad for them, and weapon procs are the only way to get petrify in EO4 (and there are a couple enemy drops that require petrification).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

That Old Ganon posted:

I found a mix of the two worked best; my party was primarily specced around neutralizing bosses, with one or two dedicated damage dealers. The classic Warrior Might party is extremely offensively specced, but brutally effective; I personally replaced one of the S/B in the group with my H/N for maximum defensive coverage - one S/B procs it plenty and having a Hoplite along with a N/Z means I can null all three elements every turn if I need to, which is insanely useful against some late/post game enemies.

Wrist Watch posted:

Without a TP battery, you will find yourself running out of TP fairly often. Early on I try to have a B or N in my party who can use skills at low (or negative, in the B's case) to help with sweeping, and a P is an absolute necessity for stretching Labyrinth runs as far as they can go. Once subclasses open, a TP battery will keep you going just fine - stick two or even three heavy attackers in the front row with their strongest abilities and spam them every fight (we're talking Blade Rave, Pincushion, Front Mortar). Getting to the fourth stratum makes Warrior Might workable and grabbing the Yagrush means you can simply obliterate things for a while on the cheap.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In EO 3, is there a penalty for sinking merchant ships? I just got a cannon for my ship and fired at the merchant ship on a lark, but I didn't know it'd actually sink. I quickly reset the game.

theshim posted:

I found a mix of the two worked best; my party was primarily specced around neutralizing bosses, with one or two dedicated damage dealers. The classic Warrior Might party is extremely offensively specced, but brutally effective; I personally replaced one of the S/B in the group with my H/N for maximum defensive coverage - one S/B procs it plenty and having a Hoplite along with a N/Z means I can null all three elements every turn if I need to, which is insanely useful against some late/post game enemies.
Is a Warrior Might party just balls-out offense? Also, when you're mentioning S/B and H/N and the like, you're referring to them as class/subclass, right?

My current party is around level 17 now and I just hit the second stratum:
    (Front row)
  • Hoplite, defensively specced (has Guardian maxed and like two points in Shield Mastery/Recuperate/Line Guard and 3/5 Shrug Off)
  • Gladiator, specializing in clubs, has the ice smash as well.
    (Back row)
  • Arbalist, Bolt mastery maxed, 6/10 Giant Kill and like one/two points in Volt/Fire Barrage.
  • Wildling, maxed call Insect because I thought poison would be valuable early on like in the first game. Also 1/10 call Snake because
  • Monk. Heals.

The only one I've been openly regretting is the Wildling because of the massive amount of TP it takes to summon poo poo, not to mention moves other folks had that increased the effect of something else if the target was afflicted with a status, but I can't remember who they are at the moment.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So uh, in EO4, is there any reliable way to recover TP in labyrinths?

My party is around level 21, 22ish, with a Landsknecht, Fortress, Nightseeker, Sniper, and Runemaster. Besides items and the occasional pool, that is.

Also, any way to increase the amount of items I can carry? The 60 limit is really killing me, especially since it counts consumables and equipment. Often, literally.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why are you carrying equipment with you into the Labyrinth?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Iron Rose posted:

Also, any way to increase the amount of items I can carry? The 60 limit is really killing me, especially since it counts consumables and equipment. Often, literally.
Nope. It's a dumb limit and I wish they'd take it away since it kind of puts a wrench into making really self-sustained and efficient parties.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

My party is around level 21, 22ish, with a Landsknecht, Fortress, Nightseeker, Sniper, and Runemaster. Besides items and the occasional pool, that is.

Unfortunately TP as an expedition timer is effectively back in EO4. There are ways to mitigate TP loss across a bunch of the classes, but there isn't any real non-item-based way to heal TP that doesn't require setup and/or just plain luck.

Also the inventory limit never changes, though some quests will increase the number of items you can store at the inn (which you're never really in danger of hitting the limit unless you like to hoard unique equipment or something).

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If you're worried about item space, consider teaching your Landshneckt Bandage so you can cut back on having to carry healing items.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

You shouldn't need more than just a few consumables (couple of amritas, couple of medicas, couple of ariadne threads), and I would just store the equipment you aren't using immediately, but want to save. You'll get access to TP-recovering abilities on some classes, among their level 40 abilities, but one of the key things about EO4 is managing your TP to maximize the time you can spend in the labyrinth. Once you unlock the Arcanist, it has an ability that recovers HP for every step you take, which should make it a lot easier to spend more time in the Labyrinth.

I'm guessing from your party that you are carrying tons of medicas around, maybe replace a character with a medic for a while?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ShadeofBlue posted:

You shouldn't need more than just a few consumables (couple of amritas, couple of medicas, couple of ariadne threads), and I would just store the equipment you aren't using immediately, but want to save. You'll get access to TP-recovering abilities on some classes, among their level 40 abilities, but one of the key things about EO4 is managing your TP to maximize the time you can spend in the labyrinth. Once you unlock the Arcanist, it has an ability that recovers HP for every step you take, which should make it a lot easier to spend more time in the Labyrinth.

I'm guessing from your party that you are carrying tons of medicas around, maybe replace a character with a medic for a while?

I have bandage on my Landshneckt (and good god spelling that is a nightmare), which is incredibly helpful. She runs out of TP relatively quickly though, but I guess that is just timing my exploration. I actually just unlocked the increased storage space, so I'll likely drop off some of my currently unused items there. Tempting to replace a character with a medic, but I'm not entirely sure who to get rid of and grinding someone up from level one doesn't appeal overmuch to me. That being said though, I'd welcome more advice on party composition.

Similarly, any skills in particular to steadfastly avoid/any to pick up ASAP? Just in general, since I've been vaguely worrying I'm just grinding to compensate for poor skills and/or tactics.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

I have bandage on my Landshneckt (and good god spelling that is a nightmare), which is incredibly helpful. She runs out of TP relatively quickly though, but I guess that is just timing my exploration. I actually just unlocked the increased storage space, so I'll likely drop off some of my currently unused items there. Tempting to replace a character with a medic, but I'm not entirely sure who to get rid of and grinding someone up from level one doesn't appeal overmuch to me. That being said though, I'd welcome more advice on party composition.

Similarly, any skills in particular to steadfastly avoid/any to pick up ASAP? Just in general, since I've been vaguely worrying I'm just grinding to compensate for poor skills and/or tactics.

Basically you want to replace your entire party with Landshneckts.

Really though, this early in the game you usually don't want to spend too many points into any single skill, as most of them get an increased TP cost as they level up. Even though it is pretty boring, work on your passives/exploration stuff first. At the same time, it's nice to have one skill on each person which you've invested a crazy amount of levels in, so you can pull it out in a pinch for big damage/healing/status chance.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I finally bought EO4 after liking the demo way back in February. I figure it's different enough from SMT4 that I shouldn't be completely burned out when I pick that up. I didn't even finish the demo actually, stopped right as I got access to the airship so I'm still very early on.

I realize at this point this question must have been asked a million times but what's a good starting party? I need to check what mine was but I don't want to start leveling things that will end up making the early game tougher.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I started with a Fortress/Landsknecht/Nightseeker - Runemaster/Medic setup for my starting party and it carried me through the entire game. You get status ailments, healing, high damage, elemental attacks, and defensive moves all in one party, so it's a good catch-all group.

e: And later on you'll get binds, so don't worry about those too, too much right off the bat.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I started with a Fortress/Landsknecht/Nightseeker - Runemaster/Medic setup for my starting party and it carried me through the entire game. You get status ailments, healing, high damage, elemental attacks, and defensive moves all in one party, so it's a good catch-all group.

e: And later on you'll get binds, so don't worry about those too, too much right off the bat.

I have this exact layout! but with a ranger over Runemaster. Might be useful to have offensive magic.

theshim
May 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have this exact layout! but with a ranger over Runemaster. Might be useful to have offensive magic.
So you're running the party on the box? I ran it too for my first run and didn't switch people out at all until I unlocked the last class. It's a solid party, though you're low on elemental damage, so having your Landshark go for links is probably a good move.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I went with fort/night/medic/sniper/night then switched out my status night for an arcanist when they show up. The lack of elemental damage wasn't too bad since arcanist+nightseeker is easy mode.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, I've been playing EO1 over the past few days, and just took my first attempt at Primevil. It blindsided me. Never before has the game made it as clear as then that it wanted me dead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

theshim posted:

So you're running the party on the box? I ran it too for my first run and didn't switch people out at all until I unlocked the last class. It's a solid party, though you're low on elemental damage, so having your Landshark go for links is probably a good move.

Oh drat I guess it is the party on the box.

Also jumping from EO1 to EO4 is blowing my mind, never played the others. This game is awesome so far, they've added so much.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
I went with land, fort, dancer, medic, sniper. My land also completely skipped link skills until the fourth area. I had pretty much no elemental damage. I still cleaned up.

You can have any party you really want, it seems.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

I finally bought EO4 after liking the demo way back in February. I figure it's different enough from SMT4 that I shouldn't be completely burned out when I pick that up. I didn't even finish the demo actually, stopped right as I got access to the airship so I'm still very early on.

I realize at this point this question must have been asked a million times but what's a good starting party? I need to check what mine was but I don't want to start leveling things that will end up making the early game tougher.

I actually started with Land/Night/Dancer and Rune/Sniper in the back. It worked exactly long enough until I got Arcanist. Then I kicked out the Dancer and replaced him with an Arcanist that I then subbed Medic onto when I could.

So now I have a Land|Bushi / Nightseeker|Arcanist and Rune|Imperial / Sniper|Arcanist / Arcanist|Medic in the back.

Hit like trucks and it's all really self-sufficient. The Runemaster keeps flipping Free Energy, the Land has Deep Breath, the Nightseeker and Sniper both have the thing that gets you TP back for binds/ailments, and the Arcanist never seems to run out of TP no matter what. Arcanist/Medic is exactly as good as everyone says it is, and I highly recommend it. It also helps that they have really neat recolors.

Still having issues with the boss between me and the Imperial class, but I think that's more to not knowing his patterns and why he's suddenly taking jack poo poo for damage when he changes form :argh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just jumped to EO4 because I realized I wasn't having much fun in EO3. Not having trouble, mind you, just not really having much fun. I'll probably go back to it in a while. Current party is Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Dancer/Sniper/Medic, haven't had any issues so far. In fact since I took a point of Patch Up on my medic, remembering how the Princess skill was so useful, I haven't even had to heal outside of battle yet although I know that's going to change now that I have the airship and am on my way to the first "real" dungeon.

Only questions I have so far are that Lands seem to have a skill that improves defense when equipping two weapons, but I don't actually see any skill that lets them use two weapons. I guess that's for when I unlock subclassing and can subclass her into Nightseeker? Also, for Dancer the various dances say they'll last for X amount of turns, but the description below says that the effect lasts after the dance finishes? How does that work exactly? Is it like 3 turns + 1 from Proficiency that Attack Tango gives an attack boost, then afterwards everyone gets to keep the attack boost until something else happens to remove it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow so I guess you sub everything onto / with Arcanist eventually :v: can I take the medic I currently have and eventually reclass him into arc/Medic or does that not work?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Wrist Watch posted:

I just jumped to EO4 because I realized I wasn't having much fun in EO3. Not having trouble, mind you, just not really having much fun. I'll probably go back to it in a while. Current party is Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Dancer/Sniper/Medic, haven't had any issues so far. In fact since I took a point of Patch Up on my medic, remembering how the Princess skill was so useful, I haven't even had to heal outside of battle yet although I know that's going to change now that I have the airship and am on my way to the first "real" dungeon.

Only questions I have so far are that Lands seem to have a skill that improves defense when equipping two weapons, but I don't actually see any skill that lets them use two weapons. I guess that's for when I unlock subclassing and can subclass her into Nightseeker? Also, for Dancer the various dances say they'll last for X amount of turns, but the description below says that the effect lasts after the dance finishes? How does that work exactly? Is it like 3 turns + 1 from Proficiency that Attack Tango gives an attack boost, then afterwards everyone gets to keep the attack boost until something else happens to remove it?

All subclassed characters can automatically dual-wield. They just don't get much benefit from it unless they have either a skill that depends on it, or a lot of good forges on the secondary weapon. (ATK, ELM and +stat forges still give their normal benefits on a secondary weapon, even though you're not attacking with it.)

"The effect lasts after the dance finishes" is just a clumsy way of saying that the effect of the dance remains active after the turn you actually perform the dance on: it remains active for as long as the dance buff is on the dancer, and is no longer active once the buff expires.

Wow so I guess you sub everything onto / with Arcanist eventually :v: can I take the medic I currently have and eventually reclass him into arc/Medic or does that not work?

To change a character's main class, you have to Retire the character. This incurs a steeper level loss than resting, but you do get to keep the stat bonuses from any Books you've used on the character, and you also get bonus skill points based on the level the character retired at.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 25, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, for Dancer the various dances say they'll last for X amount of turns, but the description below says that the effect lasts after the dance finishes? How does that work exactly? Is it like 3 turns + 1 from Proficiency that Attack Tango gives an attack boost, then afterwards everyone gets to keep the attack boost until something else happens to remove it?

It's just a very badly worded buff that lasts X turns. The text for all their skills is super confusing and badly translated.

Arcanist is pretty much essential for binds/ailments, either as a primary or as a subclass. You almost always want at least one (as main or sub) in your party somewhere, but probably not more than that.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

I do, but that's because they have a Mastery skill that improves your chances of landing binds and ailments and that's half my party :v: (the Sniper technically is supposed to be running around Squall Volleying stuff but lets be real he mostly does binds- he needs at least Leg Bind to make sure SV hits).

Regarding the Medic: I'd retire him into an Arcanist. When you unlock them, you also gain a pair of special items that allow you to automatically make them level... 25? Just go to the bar and check for information; you want the Vessel Instructor (You also get a couple of Bushi ones when you get them).

You want Arcanist/Medic because Arcanists need luck to land their circles, and Medics (apparently) have poo poo for luck. Arcanists' class skill also helps them with TP costs; while the circles cost 10, you can be getting 8-10 back when they expire or when you land a bind/status.

Is there any reason whatsoever to give an Arcanist a Rapier or is it for laughs?

And some hints for the Stratum Boss statue guy?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Karma Guard posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to give an Arcanist a Rapier or is it for laughs?

Weapons affect the order in which your characters perform their actions, and rapiers are faster than staves (second only to daggers, I believe). If you want to make sure your Arcanist acts as soon as possible, give 'em a rapier.

quote:

And some hints for the Stratum Boss statue guy?

Each of his forms is only vulnerable to a single damage type and is highly resistant to everything else (except maybe non-elemental, I didn't try that). Learn which element to hit each form with. Also, he'll ALWAYS try to change forms after using a * Mixer attack, so you have a guaranteed no-damage turn to heal and re-apply Fortress buffs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for that! 25 seems so far away right now though, I played pretty much all weekend and got 8 hours in and I'm still in the first "land" getting ready to face the B3F Lush Woodlands boss.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I ought to subclass a wildling from EO III with? I haven't the foggiest idea. I wouldn't mind suggestions for what I could subclass onto an arbalist, either.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Arbalist subs well with Zodiac or Gladiator. All physical damage dealers like Gladiator for a sub if only for Charge and Berserker Vow, and Singularity makes the Barrages hurt.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Ganon posted:

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I ought to subclass a wildling from EO III with? I haven't the foggiest idea. I wouldn't mind suggestions for what I could subclass onto an arbalist, either.

I had trouble with subclassing a wildling too. I think I went with farmer until I later swapped out the wildling entirely, which was kind of interesting, since they have some great out of battle skills. I could also see subbing monk for revive, although the healing skills themselves would be quite weak without the monk's class skill. The other option is to look for a specific buff/debut that's missing from your team. Subclassing for just a single skill is fine, after all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think I subclassed my Wildling into Prince for buffs and passive healing. Hoplite is also an option for spear skills, although the Hoplite's offensive skills aren't very powerful.

In general it's hard to go wrong with a Prince subclass on anything that you don't know how else to subclass, because its passives aren't stat-dependent and you don't have to spend turns to use them.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Well, there we go. I have finished my first Etrian Odyssey game :dance:. End party was Fort(Dan)/Night(Bushi)/Medic(Rune)/Rune(Medic)/Arcanist(5SP). The main thing the last fight told me is that I was far too reliant on burst damage from the Nightseeker but when you're doing 3.5k damage on a sleeping opponent, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Now, do I continue for postgame or move on to the rest of my 3DS pile of shame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
EO IV is $29.99 on the US eShop through the 10th.

• Locked thread