Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lyon posted:

I would go reread The Breaker, I think you're forgetting quite a bit. 9 Arts destroys that one guy with the "iron hands" (also the guy rigged a bomb) who wanted revenge for his master, he takes on 3 or so of 10 Masters, and then he goes into the Murim HQ building and fights an entire sky scraper full of people. He also ruins a couple of people to prove his points.

No, we always got to see 9 Arts put into incredibly stupid situations that he could strength his way out of because he's awesome and everyone knows better. We haven't even seen a lot of his potential. Recall he was in a loving cast during all this, which is what I mean when I say we haven't gotten to really see him fight yet, emphasis on the "really". It's refreshing to see everyone underestimate Shioon and the chapter end with people laying all over the place with windows and trees broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

I was really hoping that we would see Shioon just take a tree branch and throw it into the helicopter's cockpit, but I suppose him taking on dozens of them single handedly works for me too.

I was kinda of expecting For him to jump out of the tree and start wailing on the helicopters cockpit. I guess we were both a little disappointed there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mo_Steel posted:

I was really hoping that we would see Shioon just take a tree branch and throw it into the helicopter's cockpit, but I suppose him taking on dozens of them single handedly works for me too.

I was expecting something similar Punching down a bunch of trees, into the helicopter.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

There is always next week kids!

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Two new chapters of Dragon's Son Changsik.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dragon-s-Son-Changsik/Ch-012--Changsik-is-Beautiful---?id=163380

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dragon-s-Son-Changsik/Ch-013--Night-of-the-Dead--001-?id=164556

This... This is... True customer service...?!

:blush:

A little something to tide us over until the next Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School update.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
http://www.mangapanda.com/the-god-of-high-school/109

Monkey King Confirmed

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm loving how completely over the top this manhwa's become. If there was a story at any point, I've completely missed it, but it's still great.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School 22 is out.

Hellish Cat training commences.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sarcophallus posted:

I'm loving how completely over the top this manhwa's become. If there was a story at any point, I've completely missed it, but it's still great.

This is my take on it... The whole point of the God of High School was so that the "good guy" organization that organized the tournament could find the Key. I think they planned to use the Key to defeat the "bad guy" organization who were the priests of those "gods" whose goals and motivations we don't really understand. Those gods could be good but their priests seem to be pretty evil/crazy so they're probably evil too.

As we saw the Key ate/absorbed the "gods" (not sure if those are the official gods or more like angels hence the quotes) which would have allowed the "good guys" to triumph over the "bad guys".

Unfortunately the Key was eaten by a crazy guy and he would have done crazy things and become a crazy god himself. Luckily Jin Mo-ri happens to be the Monkey King and has the power to defeat all these "gods" and the Key because he is a god in the flesh.

I think Jin Mo-Ri's grandfather knew this ahead of time and sort of setup Jin Mo-Ri as a backup plan. He clearly knew both organizations even though he remained neutral and was also one of the most powerful humans involved in this fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Son Goku is the hero here. He rebelled against heaven, so it stands to reason that in this setting heaven is populated by assholes.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Still amazing and totally worth the wait.

Why are you turning red!!? Don't stutter like that!! The background's gotten all weird too!! T.T

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

What the gently caress did I just read? :psyduck:

I wasn't expecting that last page though :haw:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What the gently caress did I just read? :psyduck:

I wasn't expecting that last page though :haw:

Brilliant isn't it. I'm loving the principle character more and more with every appearance.

A question for the more knowledgeable people in the thread. What is the Korean animation industry like? I've always heard of the use of South Korean animation teams on western shows but I can't recall ever seeing something like a homegrown Korean animation. I would love to see some of these Manhwas in motion.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Flython posted:

Brilliant isn't it. I'm loving the principle character more and more with every appearance.

A question for the more knowledgeable people in the thread. What is the Korean animation industry like? I've always heard of the use of South Korean animation teams on western shows but I can't recall ever seeing something like a homegrown Korean animation. I would love to see some of these Manhwas in motion.

Korean animation is doing more homegrown stuff as time progresses, but they're hamstrung by the fact that Korean animation studios command high quotes for overseas work. The US farms out tons of animation to Korea, and so does Japan to a lesser extent, creating an environment where homegrown animation projects simply can't compete with this revenue. It's been getting better lately, but there's still a long ways to go before something like a Naver webcomic can get animated.

The Korean domestic market is partially to blame as well; the Japanese language is incredibly easy to translate into Korean, so anime and manga has been all over Korea for a very long time, which leads to a high barrier to entry for any Korean work. Comics are relatively cheap to produce, so Korean comics were able to make great strides in a relatively short period of time, leading to the current situation where Korean webcomics are actually starting to out-pace Japanese manga in terms of innovation and utilization of new modes of distribution. But animation is incredibly time-consuming and expensive to produce, and homegrown animation successes are few and far between in Korea, so Korean animation studios are reluctant to sacrifice steady overseas profit for a very risky home-grown project. And since there are few Korean animations being produced, the chances of a hit are lower, leading to lesser interest, creating a cycle that has mostly persisted to this day.

This is slowly changing, especially since there have been a few homegrown feature length animations that have done very well in Korean cinema, but it'll still be quite some time before Korean animation studios can fill their schedule with Korean projects.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have yet to this day see a Korean animation that wasn't aimed at kids (see: Dooly the Dinosaur, which is pretty much the only Korean animation I can remember watching).

The closest thing that comes to mind is Blade of the Phantom Master / Shin Amengusa / Shin Angyo Onshi which was drawn by Koreans, took place in a setting based on medieval Korea and has characters based on Korean folklore but released as a collaborative effort between Japan and Korea. Even the animated movie was made by the people from both countries working together, as opposed to being a wholly Korean thing.

Another similar example would be Black God, which was drawn by prominent Korean manhwa artist Park Song-Woo and written by Im Dahl-Young yet released in Japan first, and animated in Japan. Or Freezing, which is also written by Im Dahl-Young, which was already released in Japan instead of Korea.

Some Korean manhwa have been made into Korean dramas - Goong may be the most prominent example of such, I think? I don't watch Korean drama so I don't know much about it.

There's at least one Korean webtoon that's been animated, I believe. Welcome to the Convenience Store has an animated adaptation. Again, I don't really know too much about it.

The problem is that Korean animation (original or otherwise) geared towards young adults / adults isn't really a thing as of yet. Korea has at least two channels dedicated to cartoons, but (at least in during 2010 ~ 2012) it was pretty much dubbed Disney and standard children cartoons / claymation in the morning, dubbed card game / collectible anime (Yu-Gi-Oh!, BeyBlade, etc) in the noon, a bunch of stuff they kept on showing over and over (Ristorante Paradiso, Baka Test, Spice and Wolf S2, Angel Beats) alongside currently running anime and Starcraft II tournaments till evening and 19+ stuff like Nisemonogatari, Mitsudomoe and Fate/zero at night.

Animating a Korean manhwa is even worse / harder, I believe, since Korean manhwa isn't as popular as Japanese manga (though Naver and Daum are changing that), even in Korea. ChunRangYhulJun and YhulHyulGangHo (one of the longest running and most popular manhwa, written by the guy who writes The Breaker) got PC games (RPG for Chun, MMO for Yuhl), but no animated adaptations.

I really would love to see ChunRangYhulJun, NOW and YhulHyulGangHo get animated, though. Especially Yhul.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you both, I couldn't have asked for better answers. It's nice to hear that the situation is ever so slowly reversing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Awww, I'm going to miss Greed guy's increasingly ridiculous powered-up forms. If he's really dead.

I don't understand the whole super-lightning thing though. Could Sun Wukong do that?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sindai posted:

Awww, I'm going to miss Greed guy's increasingly ridiculous powered-up forms. If he's really dead.

I don't understand the whole super-lightning thing though. Could Sun Wukong do that?

I assumed it was supposed to be lightning from the cloud Sun Wukong rides around on. Not sure though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Breaker: New Waves 118

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Man Breaker has been so consistently good these past few chapters. The author is getting close to making up for how boring the beginning of New Waves was.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Between God of High School going completely batshit insane, Special Martial Arts staying completely batshit awesome and the Breaker looking more and more like the fighting manhwa we started reading, today was a good day.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ethiser posted:

Man Breaker has been so consistently good these past few chapters. The author is getting close to making up for how boring the beginning of New Waves was.

Honestly this is such a big payoff because of how boring the beginning of New Waves was. All the waiting and having to get saved so much is part of why Shioon is crazy as poo poo right now.

This page gave me chills: http://www.mangapanda.com/the-breaker-new-waves/118/15

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Seeing how Shiwoon is now strong when he is just casually running around, I am really looking forward to when he activates that "black moon and earth" or however is that crazy state called.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Honestly this is such a big payoff because of how boring the beginning of New Waves was. All the waiting and having to get saved so much is part of why Shioon is crazy as poo poo right now.

This page gave me chills: http://www.mangapanda.com/the-breaker-new-waves/118/15

The artist did a fantastic job on that page. If you go back and look at Breaker the pulled back hair style Shioon has because of his hands is almost exactly how 9 Arts Dragon used to wear his hair. He probably also played with the facial lines a bit but my memory isn't that good.

I'm worried about this duel now because when the Sunwoo elders arrive they won't be able to interfere (I'm guessing), hopefully someone in the next chapter gives an info dump on what exactly the protocol for a Murim duel is. I don't remember it being covered earlier but maybe it was when he fought laughing sword or even that other kid clan leader back in Breaker.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The doctor wants Shioon alive. If Shioon lasts until the elders get there, they can retrieve him and he wins even though he will be even more of a bloody mess by then. Otherwise, the doctor would probably incapacitate him and then escape to study Shioon at his leisure.

Of course, considering what massive dicks all of the grand murim elders have been the doctor might very well try to kill everyone there except Shioon and take him anyway.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

The artist did a fantastic job on that page. If you go back and look at Breaker the pulled back hair style Shioon has because of his hands is almost exactly how 9 Arts Dragon used to wear his hair. He probably also played with the facial lines a bit but my memory isn't that good.

I'm worried about this duel now because when the Sunwoo elders arrive they won't be able to interfere (I'm guessing), hopefully someone in the next chapter gives an info dump on what exactly the protocol for a Murim duel is. I don't remember it being covered earlier but maybe it was when he fought laughing sword or even that other kid clan leader back in Breaker.

I don't think Elder Kwon would hesitate for a second to poo poo all over any duel procedures or rules if he was so inclined to interrupt the two of them. He has a history of not giving a gently caress when his clan is being screwed with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He was kidnapped, taken to some government island and attacked by people with guns. They can almost certainly poo poo all over any murim protocol for this.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Oh come on you guys know Shioon won't let them interfere. He's got his pride! :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Flython posted:

Two new chapters of Dragon's Son Changsik.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dragon-s-Son-Changsik/Ch-012--Changsik-is-Beautiful---?id=163380

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dragon-s-Son-Changsik/Ch-013--Night-of-the-Dead--001-?id=164556

This... This is... True customer service...?!

:blush:

A little something to tide us over until the next Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School update.

Haha!

"Which style do you prefer for your breakfast? Korean-style or American-style?"

It's wonderfully irreverent, this manga, and delightfully self-aware of the various fantasy tropes.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

How has nobody mentioned Ability yet? I had to learn about it from the hiatus note at the end of Noblesse, and if they're putting two manwhas this quality out on a weekly basis, no wonder they needed to take a break.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tornhelm posted:

How has nobody mentioned Ability yet? I had to learn about it from the hiatus note at the end of Noblesse, and if they're putting two manwhas this quality out on a weekly basis, no wonder they needed to take a break.

I don't like it quite as much because the protagonist is a typical shounen "justice" cardboard character, and the fact that his power is seemingly random just makes power progression feel pointless, which is one of the things that add character development to these types of manga. It's got promise, but Noblesse has a far better concept and a better execution.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Tornhelm posted:

It has been mentioned briefly in here I believe, but only a post or two. Also to expand upon Tornhelm's post, Noblesse and Ability will both be on hiatus for six weeks.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone else been reading Kubera? It's been getting pretty interesting recently, with almost every big player in the story on a seeming collision course and almost every recent chapter ending in some kind of cliffhanger. The conclusion of this arc is probably going to shake up the plot big time.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
God of High School keeps being insane. The weird kind.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cynic Jester posted:

God of High School keeps being insane. The weird kind.

Links or you are a horrible monster.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

AtomikKrab posted:

Links or you are a horrible monster.

http://www.mangareader.net/the-god-of-high-school/110

I use mangareader :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:v: Oh my yes that is insane.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/the_god_of_high_school/c110/

Mangahere link for those of you who have trouble with Mangareader.

Koala
Jun 14, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I was getting pretty close to abandoning ship for a while to wait for it to get good again. Glad I stuck around for sure, also is Breaker on break this week?

Koala fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Koala posted:

I was getting pretty close to abandoning ship for a while to wait for it to get good again. Glad I stuck around for sure, also is Breaker on break this week?
Yeah, the translators said it was on hiatus for a while. But the author did releas this wallpaper:

http://mngacow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nw1920X1200.jpg