Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I've actually started to become a bit worried about how CPM1 will be composed since there seems to be a high chance that the moronic and anti "eve like" people can outvote those of us who see DUST for what it seems CCP intends for it to be, not for a F2P Halo/CoD/MAG.

However knowing us, and possibly tapping into Uncle Mittens & Co.'s bag of experience, we might not have to worry as much. I just would hate if they make DUST devoid of any of the things players have come to expect from CCP's works which are full of both ingame gameplay, and meta-game gameplay.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Looks like gametrailers reviewed the game, they did not have nice things to say.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/0w2q1c/dust-514-review

The same sort of "this totally new user unfriendly" comments and completely ignoring the meta-game aspect that has happened in reviews for EVE, our games parent. Both games are niche and meant to cater to those that prefer games that make you think as well as work as a community.

I do agree its not the greatest of things in general, but those that actually enjoy this game will play it. There is misconstrued notion that DUST needs to top CoD/Halo/Battlefield when they are extremely different in almost every aspect save for "I have a gun."

CCP have been making games that rely more on interpersonal communication and interaction than simply winning the match. Look at PvP in EVE, statistically The Marmite Collective are the best PvP group in the game, but they sit in highsec and have no sway in the politics nor the other aspects of how you can play EVE. Another thing that I turly hope people get through their heads is that in EVE theres not a real way to "win", as the only conceived ways to beat the game is a great many things, and even then those are nigh on impossible to achieve. At present the gaming community have a narrowminded view on what an FPS game is to be like, where as CCP have a completetly different goal with how DUST is meant to be and played, and that the FPS gameplay is just how they portray that.

SuperDouche posted:

Applied as Ricardo Moustache. I look forward to harvesting pure nerd rage.

It's not even nerd rage, it is the raging of e-thugging wannabe military kids who think their skills are only measured by the districts they own in LowSec and the leaderboard rankings for KDR. If anything, we are just enraging a bunch people who think they are gun experts because they have played all the CoD games as well as the "alpha male" portion of the gaming community who have a narrowminded view on how to play a game like DUST. Its an entirely untapped type of rage for most of us EVE vets.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Two things out of Uprising 1.1 patchnotes.
* Optimized PhysX for better client Performance < PhysX was active? Felt like the 1999 original Havok code
* Fixed issue where throwing grenades/switching weapon has a slight delay < Why was this rolled out in the first place?

Here's the greatest :ccp: I have read, ever
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80774&find=unread

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A squad of us ran into one the other night in a Domination match. It was pretty annoying, since the driver could just tank the usual LAV-busting techniques and speed off into the redline to heal. In pubbie matches it seems to have the potential for zero-death jeepsquad action.

So I found myself with around 1 million refunded SP due to the dropsuit multiplier change and decided it would be a good idea to hit level 5 on swarms and weapon upgrades. Thus I made a proto dropsuit with Wyrkomi swarms, 2 complex damage mods and an enhanced damage mod, giving me about 2500 damage per salvo (assuming all 6 missiles hit and there's no funny business with damage efficacy).

And wouldn't you know it, first skirmish I play is on Ashland with a couple enemies in Limbus LAVs going around blowing people up. Fortunately we were on the west side so I just jumped out of the MCC onto the roof right below it and began firing away. It took me two salvos to cripple those LAVs, and a third would have finished them off. I was definitely expecting a big boom on the first hit so it looks like the standard LAVs will be a pretty big nuisance in the enemy's hands.

All the same, they stood no chance and I still blew them all up including their dumb pubbie friends who thought they could do the same in the militia LAVs. Also, with this set up I can 3-shot a Gunnlogi which is pretty good considering that swarms are only 70% effective against shields.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Samahiel was awesome and found this link to DotLan showing the mass dropping of members DUST corps have been doing to counter AWOXing.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/corp/movements

MrLonghair posted:

Two things out of Uprising 1.1 patchnotes.
* Optimized PhysX for better client Performance < PhysX was active? Felt like the 1999 original Havok code
* Fixed issue where throwing grenades/switching weapon has a slight delay < Why was this rolled out in the first place?

Here's the greatest :ccp: I have read, ever
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80774&find=unread

I was playing a good amount last night but didn't experience that. It seems to be strictly in PC matches which is somewhat funny, its like they're doing the Jihadi AWOXing for us.

Edit -

Holy poo poo there is now bitching about having "ringers" come in and help your corp win. Meaning, using GSF for an example, the GENTS bring Goons in to help win a battle.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80879

:psyduck:

Edit 2 -

Team True Grit have some small changes/talk about AWOXing

quote:

AWOXING
A pretty big topic around these parts and something a lot of people have different opinions on. To be clear we don't want to make this kind of gameplay impossible. However we want to give tools to corporations to help better manage these risks.

In the long term we want to build upon the roles system adding roles to restrict who can enter a battle, who can invite others to battles, and those types of things. That is going to take time but we feel something needs to be added sooner rather than later.

So in the short term we will be adding the ability for a corporation's CEO and directors to kick players on their team from the battle while in the warbarge. Once in the battle the kick option is no longer available.

In short, AWOXing is essentially going to be a little more complicated but still possible. It seems to be more geared towards "long conning" than simply "jihading"

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 23, 2013

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Uba Stij posted:

Edit 2 -

Team True Grit have some small changes/talk about AWOXing

In short, AWOXing is essentially going to be a little more complicated but still possible. It seems to be more geared towards "long conning" than simply "jihading"

"Oops, I'm so sorry for accidentally shotgunning you in the head! I was aiming for that other guy, honest!"

"Oops, I'm so sorry for accidentally shotgunning you in the head! I was aiming for that other guy, honest!"

"Oops, I'm so sorry for..."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any other third party app or site I'm missing that would be useful to DUST 514?

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=848676&#post848676

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 23, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What happens when there are several spies in the corp and they gain total control of the warbarge? Does a director need to be in the corp to kick people?

Or will Jihadi AWOXing just fall the side, while spies do actual spy poo poo and spend half the game on the map relaying tactical information to the other team?

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Is there a guide or visual guide or anything that describes how the district screen works? The colors are the corporations, the dots are clones but I don't really get the ring that pops up which I think represents a clock? I swear I saw a number that was like 27:38 which isn't an actual time, so I don't really get it. Plus seeing how corporations stock up clones and such would help me understand how that whole thing works. I know you schedule a time for the actual fight and there's also a block of time set to allocate clones or something?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Still no respec? I thought they would just do it with the patch yesterday.

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013

Anthrovore posted:

Still no respec? I thought they would just do it with the patch yesterday.

I'm pretty sure they said it was going to be a first come first serve type of thing. They would do them in steps during downtime each night. If you just put your petition in within the last week you may have to wait a little bit.

I could also be talking out of my rear end.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.
:siren: This is a reminder to skip the PC battle set for tonight :siren:

Samahiel posted:

Okay, Here is the deal. EoN is a friend of our friends. They jumped the gun in attacking us. Our mutual friends were worried that fighting too much in system and weakening defenders clone counts would leave districts vulnerable to invasion by people none of us like. So no one is going to join the battle Thursday, and they're going to take a loss on the clones they committed. We are in talks about them attacking on the next window when we're not worried about clone counts dipping to low so we can have a friendly sparring match. We've also discussed arranging friendly matches with them in the future. I'm sorry our politics got in the way of your William Travis cosplay, but we'll find you a real enemy to fight I swear.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So I'm sitting on 6 million SP cause I STILL haven't spent any of it.

What should I be speccing in? Did we ever get the new guide up?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spazzhole posted:

I know this sounds silly, but do we really have reason to believe Ill Omens will actually honor that agreement?

anglachel posted:

Check the OP, thats the most up to date guide I have, as for specific things to train for I can't tell you how to play the game unless you talk about what your gameplay style is (heavy with an HMG? Medic? What?)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uba Stij posted:

I know this sounds silly, but do we really have reason to believe Ill Omens will actually honor that agreement?

It's not like we care about that district, anyway. It's legitimately a liability. If we have it and make ISK, cool, but if they stab us in the back and take it, whatever. It's a gift from the Imps that came out of nowhere, right?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

anglachel posted:

CCP is taking requests for a full character respec as long as you submit it before may 31st. So you're free to spend your SP on whatever interests you right now to try everything out, then once you get your respec dump it into whatever you liked best.

Submit a ticket from the official website under the community tab. When you're filling it out title it Skill Respec, select Skills from the drop down menu and make sure to send it off before the 31st.

Pink fluff, or anyone else running medium proto minmatar suits, are you happy with them compared to the caldari suits we all used to have? I like their high/low slot ratio but at the same time I'm concerned about how they hold up in the field being so skewed towards shield tanking.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
Sup guys I just applied. In game name is spoo time I think. God drat these menus are loving awful

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's not like we care about that district, anyway. It's legitimately a liability. If we have it and make ISK, cool, but if they stab us in the back and take it, whatever. It's a gift from the Imps that came out of nowhere, right?

That's a valid point.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is there a guide or visual guide or anything that describes how the district screen works? The colors are the corporations, the dots are clones but I don't really get the ring that pops up which I think represents a clock? I swear I saw a number that was like 27:38 which isn't an actual time, so I don't really get it. Plus seeing how corporations stock up clones and such would help me understand how that whole thing works. I know you schedule a time for the actual fight and there's also a block of time set to allocate clones or something?
The original Dev Blog http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/03/planetary-conquest/
An Update with revised numbers http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/04/an-update-dev-blog-for-planetary-conquest/
The Official WIKI http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Planetary_Conquest

Uba Stij posted:

The deal was hashed out over skype with their leadership and me at the request of Kane. If they break it we go back to figuring out how to knife fight them over land we don't care about and bitch at the imps over it.

anglachel posted:

We just need to put it into readable form. I was kind of stalling till I had a time frame of when the wiki was going up. But since the dropsuit skill change is behind us I'll try to get something done before the weekend.

e: Multiquote

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 23, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

God drat Quote is not Edit.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So does Goonfleet even care about Planetary Conquest? I haven't really seen a reaction to its bonuses/rewards EVE-side.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

IronSaber posted:

So does Goonfleet even care about Planetary Conquest? I haven't really seen a reaction to its bonuses/rewards EVE-side.

No. It's POS bonuses are poo poo, and even if they weren't it would only matter if they were in a region that wasn't at the rear end end of nowhere. Even from a fight generating standpoint it's to far from any fleet staging point to be worth leaving the glorious thunderdome that is post HBC delve.

as an isk generation source Districts produce an average of 8m per day. Even if you could move that from dust to eve owning a small planet would only produce 1.2trillion per month if it were never attacked.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 23, 2013

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

spazzhole posted:

This is legit, right? Not some next-generation AWOX where you trick one corp into not showing up?

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

bam thwok posted:

This is legit, right? Not some next-generation AWOX where you trick one corp into not showing up?

This is legit

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Applied, in game as Tameka Cakes

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Samahiel posted:

No. It's POS bonuses are poo poo, and even if they weren't it would only matter if they were in a region that wasn't at the rear end end of nowhere. Even from a fight generating standpoint it's to far from any fleet staging point to be worth leaving the glorious thunderdome that is post HBC delve.

as an isk generation source Districts produce an average of 8m per day. Even if you could move that from dust to eve owning a small planet would only produce 1.2trillion per month if it were never attacked.

Would the POS bonuses need to be increased in order for Goonfleet to give a care?

I ask only because I dunno how it all goes in EVE.

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
Official Goonfeet squad commands?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samahiel posted:

The deal was hashed out over skype with their leadership and me at the request of Kane. If they break it we go back to figuring out how to knife fight them over land we don't care about and bitch at the imps over it.

Sounds reasonable. My comment was mostly because I'm tired of the people from EoN taking a hollow victory and waving it like its a badge of honor.

IronSaber posted:

Why would they if its just in LowSec at the moment? The bonuses aren't that good for POS'.

The average output of ISK from a district is less than other means of making money for the Alliance.

TardedPanda posted:

Official Goonfeet squad commands?

I approve of this.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

IronSaber posted:

Would the POS bonuses need to be increased in order for Goonfleet to give a care?

I ask only because I dunno how it all goes in EVE.

The easiest way to make them care is to have it be in a region closer to one of our major staging points. Ideally close to Deklein or the Jump Bridge network itself.

Even so, aside from a few POSes for peoples private alt corps it would be a curiousity and source of good fights only. It will hold no strategic importance to us until it effects Null Sec space.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uh oh guys, we're going to be shown a new path to what New Eden is going to be like

quote:

There are so many different people out there and not everyone likes playing a game that is built on betrayal, lies, and thievery. This game is still in its infancy and we are fighting for its future! Sry we cannot let you shape the way this game is played, we are going to show you what a new path, what NEW EDEN is going to be.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=851417#post851417

I can't even comprehend how he decided to play DUST if CCP openly promotes & supports all the things he doesn't want in DUST. :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

IronSaber posted:

If you want a rough estimate of the ISK differences between the games, consider how much I was making when I played Eve for two months last year. I started my free trial, got into the corp, and a day or two later had made 200 million ISK. A few weeks later I'd trained up skills for Eve's "space Farmville" mode, and was extracting/manufacturing raw materials worth over 10 million a day. I then sold those materials to other goons who either built things out of them or ferried them to popular trade hubs, thus increasing our stock of parts or making further money.

Compare this to a PC district, which generally takes 16 people (with better skills than the competition) to hold, and produces just a few million ISK per day. Oh and PC requires tons of capital input relative to its output (if the figures posted here are accurate). So even if we could funnel money to Eve tax-free, and hold districts without losing any clones, we're such small potatoes compared to the Eve economy that a couple clueless newbies like I was can easily outperform an entire Dust corp.

edit:

Oh yeah, and the 10 mil a day doing the Farmville stuff? That's for a ten minute per day time investment, on average.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 24, 2013

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

In as Saxon Butthurt

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
I really don't understand where these e-honor people are coming from, if they want a fps with no meta game and everyone involved to subscribe to some variant of e-bushido they could go play just about any other fps game ever made why fight to make Dust that?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Moronic Farce posted:

I really don't understand where these e-honor people are coming from, if they want a fps with no meta game and everyone involved to subscribe to some variant of e-bushido they could go play just about any other fps game ever made why fight to make Dust that?

People take games way too seriously, and if they hear anything that might give more clever players some sort advantage they want it to be gone.

I guess they want Dust to be like that because it free and they need a new shooter? :shrug:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Moronic Farce posted:

Free-to-Play + FPS ==> say hello to every 13-year-old who considers CoD more of a religion than a video game.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm an idiot- what's the fifth step on the newbie skill list? Racial medium/Light of choice? I'm trying to match up the SP cost with something available for me to unlock but I can't find anything

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Omnikin posted:

I'm an idiot- what's the fifth step on the newbie skill list? Racial medium/Light of choice? I'm trying to match up the SP cost with something available for me to unlock but I can't find anything

The racial dropsuit skills just went through an SP decrease yesterday so that's probably where your dilemma is. All frame skills are now 4x instead of 6x, and all specialized skills are 8x instead of 10x. So just choose one of the Amarr/Caldari/Gallente/Minmatar medium/light skills that you like.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Omnikin posted:

That would be racial light/medium dropsuit of choice.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moronic Farce posted:

Free-To-Play + Console = Kids thinking this will be like CoD/Battlefield that they will never have to pay for. It's also the culture shock, this is something most of them aren't used to whatsoever and it is a completely foreign concept. They also have this crazed sense of "honor" that has been ingrained into them by most western FPS games, its the main underlying theme in most of the shooters you see made in the USA.

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

That would be racial light/medium dropsuit of choice.

I think he was asking what it meant.

The different races get different bonuses' for their suits. Minmatar Mediums get a hacking speed bonus, but the Caldari, Gallente & Amarr Mediums get different bonuses. It basically boils down to how you want your gameplay to be geared towards and then asking one of the more :sperg: members to explain to you what sort of fitting/skills you want.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MY RESPEC :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

Free-To-Play + Console = Kids thinking this will be like CoD/Battlefield that they will never have to pay for. It's also the culture shock, this is something most of them aren't used to whatsoever and it is a completely foreign concept. They also have this crazed sense of "honor" that has been ingrained into them by most western FPS games, its the main underlying theme in most of the shooters you see made in the USA.

A lot of it lies in that every other FPS out there has clans and such in it, but when clan battles are organized all they can play for is their e-honor and kdr. There's nothing tangible to be had from those fights unlike in Dust where there something more to be had from winning these battles. To that extent is how Dust is so vastly different from any other FPS out there because historically you're just the grunt sent into some one-off battle without any reason. Most people can't change their mindset to put themselves in the shoes of their merc where you're not just a soldier of the US or Russia, you have no allegiance except to your corporation and every time you go into battle you're fighting over resources and money. Those battles have consequences and just like in real life you want to do everything in your power to make sure you succeed whether that's spying on the enemy or bringing in your own hired guns to fight for you. So many players transitioning into Dust are stuck in the mindset that you're simply the hired gun, out there following orders in some war that will never end and has no clear objective when that simply isn't the case. You're the one (or more specifically your CEO is) making decisions to influence a war that, while it may never end, does have objectives along the way. There's more to it than just shooting space mans, and for all the poo poo we give people for taking things too seriously, you really have to role play a bit to get the most out of the game.

• Locked thread