Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ThatPazuzu posted:

I hate when I'm going down on a girl and I have to try and ignore the tiny man in there, just grinning at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

No, the Alan Parsons Project was a giant "laser".

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Bones is Éomer.

Éomer is Bones.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I think he's hugely underrated and hope Star Trek gets him some recognition... but it doesn't seem to be working so far.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Lincoln posted:

Bones is Éomer.

Éomer is Bones.

Both are Dredd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karl Urban does not smile.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

So as it turns out, "haute couture" isn't pronounced as "hot cooter". That was an awkward dinner party.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Ezzer posted:

So as it turns out, "haute couture" isn't pronounced as "hot cooter". That was an awkward dinner party.

It's also not anything to do with horticulture.

If I had any idea or interest in what haute couture actually was, this may have been embarrassing for me.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.

Ezzer posted:

I was in a play as a kid at summer camp, and part of its script called for another kid to say "hors d'oeuvres." She pronounced it as "whores doovers" during the first read-through. It's a common enough joke or error that it was in The Simpsons once. That was the way I found out about how to say "hors d'oeuvres," though; I knew it wasn't "whores doovers," but I hadn't known exactly what it was.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Ezzer posted:

According to PronunciationManual, you were fairly close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RZl3YyJw

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

I thought that was a serious channel for a moment, and was seriously confused by that video.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Memento1979 posted:

I'm sure I got this from SA or somewhere on the internet, but a friend of mine had really bad hiccups once, and I told him that I would give him a dollar for every hiccup he could do in the next five minutes. He didn't manage a single one.

Just as a note, this absolutely does not work if the person with hiccups is drunk. I lost about $20 on that.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

shock.wav posted:

It's also not anything to do with horticulture.

If I had any idea or interest in what haute couture actually was, this may have been embarrassing for me.

wow you're a really cool guy raging against the consumerist sheeple and just being yourself not even caring at all

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tex Avery posted:

I thought that was a serious channel for a moment, and was seriously confused by that video.

It is a serious channel, in that it's a guide on how to speak Simlish.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Brother Jonathan posted:

About a month ago I had an idea of a youtube channel that offers serious looking pronounciation guides that are slightly wrong. Today I figured out most silly ideas have already been thought of and made.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jojoinnit posted:

About a month ago I had an idea of a youtube channel that offers serious looking pronounciation guides that are slightly wrong. Today I figured out most silly ideas have already been thought of and made.

You should still do it. Most of the ones on that channel take it too far. I want one you can link people and they won't be sure if it's real or not.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kimmalah posted:

It's a reference to an old thread where someone asked about building a margarita machine, then other people came in with increasingly ridiculous machine designs to make fun of him.

SAclopedia entry (with a link to the goldmined thread).
New people who have never read this thread need to do so, its one of the funniest things ever on the forums.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

You should still do it. Most of the ones on that channel take it too far. I want one you can link people and they won't be sure if it's real or not.

Make sure you link a source that explicitly contradicts your video just to make people madder. "WHY YOU SO STUPID!?"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That was the original idea, just close enough to be believable. I read a lot as a kid and I'm English but live in America. There's loads of words that I only knew from books and didn't actually know how to pronounce properly and I discovered that in America people don't correct me most of the time, I guess because they assume I must be right because of the accent. Hence the :devil: idea.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

WoodrowSkillson posted:

New people who have never read this thread need to do so, its one of the funniest things ever on the forums.

I hadn't seen that, but it's pretty hilarious. Was that the same guy who did all of the Pillow Modding posts?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

jojoinnit posted:

That was the original idea, just close enough to be believable. I read a lot as a kid and I'm English but live in America. There's loads of words that I only knew from books and didn't actually know how to pronounce properly and I discovered that in America people don't correct me most of the time, I guess because they assume I must be right because of the accent. Hence the :devil: idea.

They don't correct you because they don't care and it could be awkward. Most Americans are only pedantic on the internet or when they're intentionally being annoying.

Dr. MonkeyThunder has a new favorite as of 16:29 on May 24, 2013

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Nthing the "Guantanamo Bay is in Cuba" thing mentioned a few pages ago... I had always thought it was in Central America or something, and only recently learned of its true location a few weeks ago. And I was completely unaware of the whole political clusterfuck regarding the US's presence there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aggro posted:

I hadn't seen that, but it's pretty hilarious. Was that the same guy who did all of the Pillow Modding posts?

The pillow modding guy is Noni, IIRC. He had a post or two in the Margarita thread (which I've also just read for the first time, and it is one of the best things).

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
It took me 21 years to realize its Flintstones, not Flinstones.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

the culminator posted:

It took me 21 years to realize its Flintstones, not Flinstones.

30 years over here :stare:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
My dad's the son of Italian immigrants, and when I was growing up my family would always say a word that sounded like "Scoosee" to get you do something or move out of the way. I was in college by the time I figured out that's a real word, not just baby talk my mom made up--"Scusi," "Excuse me." :cripes:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The Rocketeer is not a remake of Flash Gordon.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was fun looking up the fact that only between 18 - 35 percent of the population that has Photic sneeze reflex [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex]. Now I know why people look at me funny when I joke that I'm allergic to the sun.

I also used to get really sick in church when my parents made me go, and I still get sick (and cranky) if I have to stand in line for an extended amount of time. Turns out blood likes to pool in my legs if I'm not moving around. Good times!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I didn't just realize this, I saw it some time ago, but it was probably after having seen the picture a dozen times that it finally clicked

There's a butterfly on Ian's finger and a storm brewing in the background, because Chaos Theory and Butterfly Effect. I may just be very slow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LordAba posted:

It was fun looking up the fact that only between 18 - 35 percent of the population that has Photic sneeze reflex [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex]. Now I know why people look at me funny when I joke that I'm allergic to the sun.

Oh hell I thought everyone got that :(

Also:

quote:

Photic sneeze reflex, also sometimes referred to using the backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst (ACHOO) syndrome

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's one of the things they check fighter pilots for before training. If you suffer from photic sneezing, you can't be a top gun. In fact, I'm not sure you could get even a civilian pilot's licence at all.

Not much fun to be a passenger in a plane trying to land while the pilot is blinded by sneezing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lotish posted:

Make sure you link a source that explicitly contradicts your video just to make people madder. "WHY YOU SO STUPID!?"
Bonus points: link a source which contradicts your video that is also wrong.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's one of the things they check fighter pilots for before training. If you suffer from photic sneezing, you can't be a top gun. In fact, I'm not sure you could get even a civilian pilot's licence at all.

Not much fun to be a passenger in a plane trying to land while the pilot is blinded by sneezing.

Another thing I learned! Too bad my crappy eyesight restricted that already.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My phone's camera came with (admittedly lovely) editing software built in. I've had this thing for like three months now and only just discovered that a few minutes ago.

tworow2
Sep 21, 2009
When I was about 2, my 19 year old cousin died. Growing up everyone always said he was cleaning one of his guns and forgot it was loaded.

It took me way too long to realize they just didn't want to tell us he killed himself.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When Netflix said there would be a new season of Arrested Development today, I thought they meant they would add a new episode every week starting today. Nope, entire 15 episode season.

In my defense, it's the first Netflix-produced show I've bothered watching.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I chalk this up to the fact that Archer is a cartoon and you cannot therefore see their faces, but I had an epiphany watching Arrested Development today.

Lucille Bluth is Malory Archer. (Jessica Walter)
Kitty Sanchez is Cheryl Tunt. (Judy Greer)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Drewski posted:

I chalk this up to the fact that Archer is a cartoon and you cannot therefore see their faces, but I had an epiphany watching Arrested Development today.

Jeffrey Tambor and David Cross have both been in Archer too.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tworow2 posted:

When I was about 2, my 19 year old cousin died. Growing up everyone always said he was cleaning one of his guns and forgot it was loaded.

It took me way too long to realize they just didn't want to tell us he killed himself.

Some people do manage to shoot themselves while cleaning their guns because they don't follow the rules. Maybe you should ask someone if you really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Drewski posted:

This with Tambor too is actually what drew me in originally.

• Locked thread