Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

your evil twin posted:

Stuff like enemies smoking you out or reinforcements turning up, do they happen in the other difficulty modes too, or just in the Ranger modes? If it is just in the Ranger modes then I will definitely be playing in Ranger Easy, that sounds awesome. (The two weapon limit is a bit disappointing, though.)

I think they do, the alarms at least happen. I think Ranger Easy just removes some of the HUD and halves the total amount of bullets on top of the damage multipliers.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

your evil twin posted:

Am I right in thinking that the way both Metro games handle difficulty settings is that the harder the difficulty, the rarer the bullets, but the bullets do more damage... to both enemies and to the player. Is that right?

Pretty much, yeah.

Ironically this makes easy mode the hardest/most tedious to play. I actually went back to 2033 on easy mode and it was ridiculous how many shots both me and the enemies could take.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Man, all this talk of mind blowing graphics is making me sad. I'm playing this on a 2 year old gaming laptop and even on the lowest settings it still chugs in certain places (town, mostly).

Did anyone else sit through the entire performance on Theater station? I had absolutely no idea it went on since I walked out midway through the cancan on my first playthrough. That was actually a pretty nice variety of acts. poo poo, I'd watch that in real life, even.

Edit: I also completely missed that drunk guy you pass as you first enter. He stumbles to a fence, vomits, and then promptly blackout faceplants right into the pool. I don't know why I found that as funny as I did but I face laughing hard enough to wake someone in another room.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 24, 2013

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
What is with the loving FPS drops.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Roki B posted:

What is with the loving FPS drops.

I noticed a few in certain areas (theatre with that guy sweeping, the bandit tunnel, catacombs cut performance by a bit the whole time I was down there) but most went away after a few seconds or steps forward. Didn't bother me too much. If you're getting them more often, maybe you need to lower your settings or update your drivers or something.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The framerate makes me think that some areas need a bit of optimization. The game will run great in some of the most beautiful and amazing sections in the game, and then sometimes you'll walk into a small, bland room and the framerate will tank.

I finished the game last night, loved it. Somehow managed to get the good ending on my first playthrough even though I missed plenty of things and killed plenty of people. I know I'll be giving this another playthrough some time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you are going for the 1000 military grade ammunition achievement and have a lot of patience there is a merchant at the start of the Bandit tunnel level who doesn't despawn. So you can run back and forth selling all the guns from the bandits you have taken down.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Pwnstar posted:

If you are going for the 1000 military grade ammunition achievement and have a lot of patience there is a merchant at the start of the Bandit tunnel level who doesn't despawn. So you can run back and forth selling all the guns from the bandits you have taken down.

If you're only slightly patient, prioritize the semi-auto pistols with telescopic sights as they're worth the most (38 MGR on RH).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Is there some special trick for surviving the defense bit at the end of Bandits where you're waiting for the ferry? I've tried running around and staying mobile and I get swarmed from behind and killed. I try to hole up in a corner or at the dock which works for awhile, but as soon as I miss one nosalis I'm hosed, because a couple seconds later there are 3 of them pummeling me to death while all of my weapons are stuck in reloading animations. There are just too many and the section lasts too long for me to get to the end without screwing up a kill somewhere.

Is the answer just "shoot better"? I'm just playing on normal and it's like ramming a brick wall of difficulty. Like 10-12 attempts so far.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Meiteron posted:

Is there some special trick for surviving the defense bit at the end of Bandits where you're waiting for the ferry? I've tried running around and staying mobile and I get swarmed from behind and killed. I try to hole up in a corner or at the dock which works for awhile, but as soon as I miss one nosalis I'm hosed, because a couple seconds later there are 3 of them pummeling me to death while all of my weapons are stuck in reloading animations. There are just too many and the section lasts too long for me to get to the end without screwing up a kill somewhere.

Is the answer just "shoot better"? I'm just playing on normal and it's like ramming a brick wall of difficulty. Like 10-12 attempts so far.

First, the obvious: are you using a shotgun? If not, use a shotgun. There's a four-barreled shotty on the upper level that'll work out great for the section.

If you're having that much trouble on Normal, you'd probably be better off shucking and jiving than learning to shoot better. What I did when I wanted to conserve ammo at all costs is ring the bell, go up the stairs, keep an eye out for any approaching Nosalises and, when they were just about to reach me, jump down and run to the other end of the room. Then you turn around, shoot any Nosalises that happen to be close, and run back up. Repeat until the ferry reaches the shore. The important part is dropping from the upper level to the lower level, as that's what really slows down pursuers.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Put the difficulty higher. This game is harder on normal than on hard.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

KaneTW posted:

Put the difficulty higher. This game is harder on normal than on hard.
Definitely. The game is mainly an economical challenge since you can just kill any enemy by unloading in their face. Harder difficulties make it cheaper to kill enemies so you get more out of every encounter so long as you don't die. Easy on Metro 2033 was way more frustrating than RHC, so I went RHC right out of the gate.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've been super busy lately so I still haven't finished, and in my brief play session this morning I thought I was going to get to fight the bear I've been hearing so much about. My objective dealie says warn Polis about the attack on D6 and I'm wandering around above-ground. Got to a part with some kinda gate, and a ditch you can fall in filled with water. I've poked around in that vicinity and can't seem to find the path through, anyone know what I'm talking about?

At least I had fun running around and scavenging, this game is so gorgeous.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

First, the obvious: are you using a shotgun? If not, use a shotgun. There's a four-barreled shotty on the upper level that'll work out great for the section.

I disagree, I got killed a couple times with quad shotty and ended up going RPK just because I could space out my reloads to a time where I wasn't being overwhelmed.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Are you using med-kits? They're easy to forget about, but they definitely saved me during that section. Using the upstairs section also helped me out, I don't think any nosalises spawn directly from there so it's a last-ditch safe zone you can use.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well I finally got it; that advice about the 4-barrel shotgun helped since I had completely missed it and was making do with a Duplex that needed both shots to down one Nosalis which... didn't always work so well.

I finally survived by giving up on staying in once place and basically sprinting away whenever 2 or more nosalises got into melee range before I could kill them. It was touch-and-go and I used 4 medkits along the way but at least it's over!

I did find it funny that basically the last ~2 hours of gameplay was Artyom against mostly humans as the Sneaky Invisible God of Death/Unconsciousness but as soon as you're faced with a large enough group of mutants, suddenly it's all running wildly and screaming. I imagine that's exactly what they were going for.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Meiteron posted:

Well I finally got it; that advice about the 4-barrel shotgun helped since I had completely missed it and was making do with a Duplex that needed both shots to down one Nosalis which... didn't always work so well.

I finally survived by giving up on staying in once place and basically sprinting away whenever 2 or more nosalises got into melee range before I could kill them. It was touch-and-go and I used 4 medkits along the way but at least it's over!

I did find it funny that basically the last ~2 hours of gameplay was Artyom against mostly humans as the Sneaky Invisible God of Death/Unconsciousness but as soon as you're faced with a large enough group of mutants, suddenly it's all running wildly and screaming. I imagine that's exactly what they were going for.

For mutant segments, you should try to always have a Shambler/Saiga handy as the Ashot/Duplet simply can't put out a reliably large volume of fire to survive the 'panic events'. On the 'Bandits' level, there's a free Shambler lying next to a corpse immediately behind your starting position.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Meiteron posted:

I ran in circles up the stairs, across the top, down the other stairs, across and repeat until the boat came. It worked :shrug:

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

Feeble posted:

Did anyone else sit through the entire performance on Theater station? I had absolutely no idea it went on since I walked out midway through the cancan on my first playthrough. That was actually a pretty nice variety of acts. poo poo, I'd watch that in real life, even.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing to get a karma flash at the end. It's surprisingly long and has a lot of variety and some comedy between the acts.

Meiteron posted:

Is there some special trick for surviving the defense bit at the end of Bandits where you're waiting for the ferry?

I went upstairs and ran around. The best way against Nosalises is running around them, dodging their lunge attacks and then shooting them in the face. Don't get caught in hand-to-hand with them, as they slow you down if they hit you and then they swarm around you, causing massive damage. The best way against all mutants is running around and not getting hit, all while attacking their weak spots. You can shoot some mutants a million times without dropping them, but get them in their weak spots and they fall easier. Like Watchmen, if you shoot them once in the middle of the face, they drop like a sack of potatoes.

Although, I do not know if this is the case on easy difficulty as the enemies are bullet sponges, but on Ranger Hardcore most of the mutants drop from one headshot.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

On Normal, each Nosalis eats like 2 duplet rounds to the face. It's awful.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, later on I only kept my duplet around because it was fully upgraded. On RHC i'm probably just going to stick to headshotting them with either the RPK or knives.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I found I was able to reliably headshot the nosalis with an extended barrel Shambler on my hardcore run at the boat section. The Shambler does take a while to load which was a problem sometimes. Does regular hardcore make everything die fast like ranger hardcore?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just crouched in a corner next to the train and shot them as they came at me with my assault rifle. Two shots to the head. Pow pow.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I just finished the waiting-for-the-boat part on Ranger Normal and it was actually really loving easy. Instead of using a shotgun, I used an upgraded Tihar (or Tikhar or however it's spelled; the air rifle). It does an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage when overpressurized, fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, is really accurate out to a decent range, and has a large magazine capacity. There's a significant damage falloff as your air pressure goes down, but I was able to just give it a couple of pumps every time I had a breather and stay pretty lethal. The only downsides are that you can only carry 45 shots for it, and that if you fire too much too quickly your air pressure will run out and you'll be stuck doing almost no damage at all.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:downs:

So apparently you can get the Rain Man achievement by just running full tilt through the Bridge level and slamming medkits if you get caught.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Instead of using a shotgun, I used an upgraded Tihar (or Tikhar or however it's spelled; the air rifle). <snip> The only downsides are that you can only carry 45 shots for it.

Coming from M2033, this made me very sad. In 2033, the exchange rate was 8 steel balls for 1 MGR and you could carry as many rounds as you could afford. In MLL, the exchange rate is 1.25 steel balls for 1 MGR and you can carry... 45. And since it's a relatively uncommon ammo type, it makes the Tihar almost impossible to keep supplied.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Helsing is still the best "gun", in my opinion. Especially since you can upgrade it so it doesn't lose pressure when over-pumped. (Don't know if that counts as a spoiler.) Too bad you can't get one early on like you could in Metro 2033. At least, I don't think you can.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

KaneTW posted:

The Ashot only has one shot, because it doesn't need a second. :clint:

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Meiteron posted:

I died quite a bit (played on hard) by trying to stay in a corner. I finally tried running around the perimeter (up the stairs and around the bottom) several times and only shooting with the shotgun if something was in front of me. 1 time doing that and I only got hit once and survived to make it onto the ferry.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere in this game and I picked up the printed book on amazon because for some stupid reason it was cheaper than the kindle version. I didn't notice the pdf in steam until I got the book. I'm enjoying it so far and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any similar style books. Underground civilization and post nuclear type stuff. I just picked up Roadside Picnic because the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are what made me want to play Metro, and I read that those games were based on that book.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Just a warning, Roadside Picnic is nowhere like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the game. It's still a great book though.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

KaneTW posted:

Just a warning, Roadside Picnic is nowhere like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the game. It's still a great book though.

That's okay. I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I don't need their stories retold in book format. As long as their are weird things going on I'll enjoy it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dogstile posted:

Yeah, later on I only kept my duplet around because it was fully upgraded. On RHC i'm probably just going to stick to headshotting them with either the RPK or knives.

Gun damage changes from the 'regular' difficulties to the ranger ones, on the regular difficulties the multi-barrel shotty is crap. On ranger modes it straight up becomes one of the most powerful guns in the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The double barrel shotgun from 2033 is still in this game, right? Because I liked that one probably more than the automatic they start you off in this game. (I only just rented the title so I haven't gotten very far. For some reason everything was in Italian when I started and I was really confused when I couldn't change it without going back to the main menu.)

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Yes, that's the Duplet, mentioned in this page.

I prefer the Ashot and the Shambler. There aren't many situations where I felt like I needed the higher alpha of the Duplet over the faster reload of the Ashot or the damage output of the Shambler.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Shakra posted:

That's okay. I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I don't need their stories retold in book format. As long as their are weird things going on I'll enjoy it.

It's probably good that you avoid the actual STALKER books then, at least the ones in english. Bought the "Southern Comfort" one, was awful, read like below average fanfiction.

This, absolutely this. The movie is atmspheric as hell, if a bit slow at times.
VVVVVVVVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 25, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Feeble posted:

It's probably good that you avoid the actual STALKER books then, at least the ones in english. Bought the "Southern Comfort" one, was awful, read like below average fanfiction.

You should, however, watch the Stalker movie. It predates both the game and the Chernobyl disaster, so plot-wise it of course bears little resemblance to the game, but it's still a loving fantastic film with amazing atmosphere and plenty of weirdness.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Feeble posted:

This, absolutely this. The movie is atmspheric as hell, if a bit slow at times.
VVVVVVVVVVV

From what I read online it sounded like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. books were basically just bad fanfiction, so I had planned to avoid them. I didn't know there was a movie, it looks like it was based off the Roadside Picnic book. I'll definitely watch it after I finish the book thanks for the heads up.

I managed to find an unofficial German to English translation of the Metro 2034 book online so that will be exciting to read after 2033 is finished.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Did they fix the QTE deal with RHC yet?

Just finished a run of RHC in 2033, ended up having to knife my way through Hole/D6 because I "ran" out of ammo. Almost gave up around Tower, until I realized I was sitting on 450 Military Rounds. :downs: At least when I have grandkids, I can tell them of the time I knifed my way through the amoeba section. Now am eyeballing Last Light again, but I'd want those prompts up.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I think all of the QTEs are just pressing E. Just start pressing E when the game goes into slowmo during a cutscene, that got me through RHC QTEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK, just finished the game; overall, it was pretty drat good - not without it's faults though.

I don't know what you guys have been doing, but I got the 'good' ending straight off the bat. I think if you are low on 'good' points, you should try going through the Moscow resedential buildings and check out all the ghosts? That seemed to help me.

Story-wise it seemed a bit... I don't know, a bit too 'good and evil' dualism going on, which was not the case I thought with the first game? I missed the almost fatalistic mood you got, like when you are following Kahn in the ghost tunnels, or when you try to defend the gate at that one station, but you almost instantly get over-run by the Nostralis.

I would say this game was a lot easier than the first game, esp. with stealth. It is one of the only games I've ever played whereby being stealthy was easier than being shooty. Which was a bit disappointing, in a way. I mean, you had to think about how to be stealth, but still, it did seem very easy to just simply shoot out lights with silenced pistol, punch man in face, repeat.

As for the nudity out of nowhere... I'm not averse to that kind of thing in games, as I am not against it in other media, but I it happened in the game far to spontaneously and without any real build-up, so it felt really tacked on and insincere.

The kiddy Dark One was cute, tho :3:.

• Locked thread