Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I like the albums after Welt just fine, but they didn't sound quite as unique (which might have something to do with how long the drat album took to get made and released as much as anything). It's definitely the poppiest album of the bunch, which worked surprisingly well and did a decent job of setting it apart from everything else Ogre's been involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

What do you guys specifically not like about the albums after Welt?

It had great pop sensibilities and was overall a very positive and fun record. I was completely surprised by it because the only thing we had heard of the WELT project before 2001 was Noreen which was way more in the vein of Skinny Puppy.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

TOOT BOOT posted:

Does it sound like Skinny Puppy or does it sound like the weird hybrid OhGr/SP thing they've had going on for a while now?

well I could definitely hear Walk's (over)production in the tracks I heard.

e: oh it's streaming now. Sounds like they've gone full-circle.

spider_ross.avi fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 17, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One thing I will say about it is that the reimagining of Solvent is great. Usually when a band does a 20 year remake of a song it's terrible.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The best news in a long time:

Stefan Ackermann survived a total of loving seven brain hemorrhages but has now recovered and is performing again!

I didn't even realize Das Ich had a show in Sweden last month. I'm so loving glad to see the guy is still alive and has recovered so well. :unsmith: times infinity

Here's a German article on his disease by the (awful) magazine Bild for those who can read German. I can translate it for you guys later today if someone is interested.

In other, not quite as amazing but still cool news: A Skinny Puppy / FLA joint tour might happen one day

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Thank god, I check every odd week for news. Thanks for the heads up catass! I can't underestimate how much I love Das Ich and how important their music is to me.

[edit]

It's also kinda spooky that the album they never finished was called Koma. :stare:

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 18, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

hatelull posted:

They are still capable of plastering skulls to the ceiling live, so I am perfectly OK with whatever sound they have on this record. I figure it will be a natural progression from Handover, so I'm ok with cEVIN's hyperactive keyboards and nu-style vocals from Ogre.

I never saw Ogre's first solo tour, but I cannot imagine it being a superior live experience to the Devils in my Details tour. That was a really great thing. What do you guys specifically not like about the albums after Welt?

I actually thought that Devils in my Details was their strongest album to date. It creates an atmosphere and tension that I still can't quite describe but is totally compelling each time I listen to it. So much variety from track to track while never sounding out of place with the whole of the album.

SunnyPsyOp was the opposite for me though, very jarring differences between the good and the bad.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I absolutely agree. That second LP from him is probably what I listen to the least out of his solo catalog. There are a few tracks I dig, but I rarely want to hear the whole thing in the way Devils in my Details pulls me in every time.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

hatelull posted:

I figure it will be a natural progression from Handover, so I'm ok with cEVIN's hyperactive keyboards and nu-style vocals from Ogre.

From all the samples and tracks I've heard it's quite the opposite. Old school vocal production and retro analog synths/drum machines. Very little "laptop" style production. I'm actually shocked at how much it sounded like Remission. Every album they've done up to this has been sonically experimental and different. But this one looks like the concept was retro-resurgence.

Personally I loved the past 3 albums (especially Handover) but I've got a feeling this will shut up fans who wish they'd drop the VA/glitchy/computerized FX style and go back to the basics. Plus it's new SP so you've got to give it multiple listens before it really sinks in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I've had a backlog of about 40 promo albums, seriously, and am just getting around to previewing them in the past few days. Alfa Matrix has given me a bunch of promos where every track has a robot lady voice saying "This is a promotional copy" about 15 or 30 seconds in. I don't know what they expect me to do with these.

I mean, they've informed me, personally, of a few albums I'll want to buy, like the new Dunkelwerk and Helalyn Flowers, but these are promotional materials that I'm not going to promote by playing them.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 19, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Are you sure it's not just a repeating sample? Not convinced I'd be able to tell. :v:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Halloween Jack posted:

I've had a backlog of about 40 promo albums, seriously, and am just getting around to previewing them in the past few days. Alfa Matrix has given me a bunch of promos where every track has a robot lady voice saying "This is a promotional copy" about 15 or 30 seconds in. I don't know what they expect me to do with these.

I mean, they've informed me, personally, of a few albums I'll want to buy, like the new Dunkelwerk and Helalyn Flowers, but these are promotional materials that I'm not going to promote by playing them.

I got my hands on a preview copy of a covenant album and Eskil would pipe up with "You are actually listening to a promotional copy of the new Covenant album". The emphasis he put on 'actually listening' was so goddamn adorable. :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Some of the artists actually do it themselves. Ladyhell has a sexy accent, but it will still make me look like an idiot if I play it Tuesday night.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh god, yes please.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
FLA was just touring with Haujobb, but they didn't come to the states :(

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

SacrificialGoat posted:

FLA was just touring with Haujobb, but they didn't come to the states :(
Lame :( I'd much rather see this lineup.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
oh, there's a sampler for the new covenant album: http://www.dependent.de/player.php?play=203

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat, Last Dance sounds better to me than anything from their last couple albums.

edit: aw, Ghost & Writer broke up, for what I'm guessing are "personal differences" https://www.facebook.com/GhostandWriter/posts/599862056690765

Oh well, I already have 7+ albums of Frank Spinath singing, and theoretically a fourth Seabound album is on its way. Look forward to seeing what Jean-Marc Lederman does next.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 21, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

boo_radley posted:

oh, there's a sampler for the new covenant album: http://www.dependent.de/player.php?play=203

Last Dance reminds me of Dead Stars in the best way. It's funny how little they've changed since 2000. For most bands that'd be a bad thing.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
New Thyx album status: amazing!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedenius posted:

I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS.

Also, I recently discovered CHROM and my god, they are so loving good. Their sound is very unoriginal futurepop, but they do it really well.

http://youtu.be/qcFXhuzTK58

http://youtu.be/wtuAvwFpLG0

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Hedenius posted:

Yes yes yes.

I recently had a long car ride and I basically played his entire discography in the car, starting with the first Mind.In.A.Box album and working all the way to the new THYX. Comparing "Lost Alone" to "Below the City" really highlights how far he's come. I'm really impressed by how Stefan Poiss has grown as an artist. I was a big MIAB fan, and I still like that stuff, but his new stuff sounds more complex and interesting. You can tell he's really broken out of his shell.

Certain THYX tracks actually remind me of bizarre, video-gamey Peter Gabriel, and I mean that in a good way.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 29, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think his "normal" vocals are the perfect example of him breaking out of his shell. Of course I've seen lots of people online complain about the lack of vocoding and use of guitars ha. He hasn't gone the Apop route! (Loved APBL2000 and the live guitars, so not a fan of everything past Welcome to Earth, but prefer Harmonizer to the rest.)

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Brutal Resonance just posted a pretty bad rear end streaming mix tape on their site with indie industrial bands. They have some interesting tracks from bands I haven't heard before. *cough* Also my track Eraser is on there. *cough*
http://www.brutalresonance.com/viewblog.php?id=2205

It's pretty drat rewarding after busting rear end that some of my music is getting some press.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This is a good playlist and your song is pretty catchy. I'm also loving the ruthless :iceburn: in Hipster Trash and Confession.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yes, thanks for the link! Your stuff is good, but your artist name is too drat hard to remember, no wonder no one is listening to it :v:

Also, you should get some song previews up on last.fm somehow.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is a good playlist and your song is pretty catchy. I'm also loving the ruthless :iceburn: in Hipster Trash and Confession.

Entropist posted:

Yes, thanks for the link! Your stuff is good, but your artist name is too drat hard to remember, no wonder no one is listening to it :v:

Also, you should get some song previews up on last.fm somehow.

The name used to be IIO until I found out some techno producer is keeping the name on lockdown. As for Last.fm they have me on lock down until a certain number of people basically buy my music and aggregate it or some poo poo like that. Though it is on Spotify for streaming. Also if anyone wants the full album for free I have some download codes for it on Bandcamp.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
So I'm using some vacation time and money I had saved, and I'm going to London for a week in August. I'll be seeing Haujobb and FLA while I'm there. :)

Also, I got the new Skinny Puppy album, and I actually think it's pretty great.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I really like the album too, but honestly I still find Ogre's singing ridiculous and a bit distracting. I've gotten way better at tuning out vocals from most music however, so I'm pretending that he's a vuvuzela in the background.

That's going to be a fantastic show!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 30, 2013

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Noricae posted:

I really like the album too, but honestly I still find Ogre's singing ridiculous and a bit distracting. I've gotten way better at tuning out vocals from most music however, so I'm pretending that he's a vuvuzela in the background.

That's going to be a fantastic show!

Wow, that's surprising. Vocally this album is the most dynamic in mixing and performance. Chiming in to say the new SP is album is awesome. Cevin's over-synthing has been kept in check so it doesn't go too far off the track like in Handover. They play little homages to the "old skinny puppy" sound but keep the compositions modern. I'd have to say this album is probably my favorite one that came out post 1996.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh, it's just me. I've always found the voice grating, and it's actually less grating in this album than much earlier albums and easy to treat it as another instrument, so really I like it quite a bit and it's very listenable. (I would give various Skinny Puppy albums a listen in the past, since the mid '90s actually, and never really got into them until HanDover, so I quite like the low to no vocals industrial/experimental fiddling/idm fusion.) Compared to their 80s-90s albums, you're right, it is very much more dynamic. The 'treat it like another instrument' is what I'm telling non-industrial listening friends, urging them to give it a try ;)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
gently caress yes, Ivardensphere are joining FLA/Haujobb on their European tour!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

gently caress yes, Ivardensphere are joining FLA/Haujobb on their European tour!

Amazing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Diary of Dreams owns and Adrian Hates owns and it seems like his new side project .com/kill owns, too. It's quite a bit more straightforward, aggressive and heavy than Diary of Dreams, but in a very clever way so it doesn't sound like a generic EBM band or anything. I really recommend you guys check it out.

Goddamn Adrian has to be one of the most depressed people ever. This poo poo is just so loving dark :stare:

e: I mean Diary of Dreams is probably one of the bleakest bands ever, but this is just some straight-up worryingly angry poo poo

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Diary of Dreams owns and Adrian Hates owns and it seems like his new side project .com/kill owns, too. It's quite a bit more straightforward, aggressive and heavy than Diary of Dreams, but in a very clever way so it doesn't sound like a generic EBM band or anything. I really recommend you guys check it out.

Goddamn Adrian has to be one of the most depressed people ever. This poo poo is just so loving dark :stare:

e: I mean Diary of Dreams is probably one of the bleakest bands ever, but this is just some straight-up worryingly angry poo poo

Dammit, another one went the way of dubstep wobbles. There are some good tracks in there though.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like the new Skinny Puppy too, it's their best release post-Ohgr. A good mix of newer sounds and older stuff.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records. It's our first ever label release so I'm gonna spam it here because..

A. Spider_ross and myself met on SA Forums
B. Musicians Lounge goons helped us out alot in the beginning
C. Our last album got mostly positive responses here

Heavily influenced by Ohgr and Skinny Puppy, so while it's a little awkward having it released so closely to Weapon, I think it stands far enough apart in our sound design and direction. You can check out the single/video "Toybox" below if yer curious... otherwise the album is out now on iTunes and Artoffact! Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/mZ5SXAXdBcs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

That's pretty awesome. I was worried when that other post was talking about wobbles, but it seems he used them very sparingly. Everything else loving owns.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome work. I'm listening to the SoundCloud stream hosting by the label over at ID:YD. "An ohGr album made on a Sega Genesis" is what they called it.

This rules. I love your last album too but this is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Cleaner posted:

As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records. It's our first ever label release so I'm gonna spam it here because..

Awesome :v:

I think Side-Line shared a link to you guys on Facebook the other day, so hopefully you got some good exposure from that!