Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Illinois' deadline for their marriage equality bill has been extended, allowing the bill to be considered through May 31, the scheduled last day of Assembly. The House plans to vote in these last 7 days, and it looks like we might have state 14.

In other news, a new Gallup poll says 59% of Americans think gay unions are "morally acceptable", and 47% believe being gay or lesbian is an orientation people are born with, not a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sweeney Tom posted:

In other news, a new Gallup poll says 59% of Americans think gay unions are "morally acceptable", and 47% believe being gay or lesbian is an orientation people are born with, not a choice.

Got a link to this? I'd like to know the margin of error and whether these figures come from a single group of respondents who got asked these two questions in the same survey. I guess it just seems very odd to me that one in eight Americans simultaneously thinks "gay unions are OK" and "being gay is a choice".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Here you go.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Weird, from the PDF they say the literal wording of their question is "gay and lesbian relations", before that "homosexual relations", and before that "homosexual behavior". It looks like the "is being gay a choice" question is from a different survey :(

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Got a link to this? I'd like to know the margin of error and whether these figures come from a single group of respondents who got asked these two questions in the same survey. I guess it just seems very odd to me that one in eight Americans simultaneously thinks "gay unions are OK" and "being gay is a choice".
Even if being gay was a choice, would it be wrong? Maybe these people are morally forward but scientifically backward.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Thesoro posted:

Even if being gay was a choice, would it be wrong? Maybe these people are morally forward but scientifically backward.

Whether it's a choice or not is completely irrelevant to the fight for equal rights. You can choose which religion to follow, but nobody uses that fact to argue against protecting freedom of religion.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Thesoro posted:

This is definitely more of the approach that needs to be used when arguing over marriage equality. I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but arguing whether or not it's a choice is implicitly agreeing to the idea that homosexual relationships are somehow lesser than heterosexual ones. Often when people support marriage equality because "being gay is not a choice" they're using that reasoning as a way to rationalize supporting behavior that they still see as unnatural, immoral or gross. A lot of that comes from the moral baggage built around homosexuality over the past few centuries, and that's the underlying issue that should be challenged in discussions about marriage equality.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thesoro posted:

Actually, it makes sense that some of those people probably have a philosophical objection to homosexuality, but also believe the state shouldn't enforce their philosophy. I.e. old-school liberalism :cool:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I remember when Boehner once opposed hate crime protections for LGBT folk because it's not an immutable characteristic, whilst simultaneously supporting hate crime protections for religious hate crime, which, although I support those protections, aren't as immutable as sexuality or gender identity.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Thesoro posted:

I'm not saying it's not a choice (it isn't) but from the mindset of the people that think it is, it's equivalent to asking if BDSM enthusiasts should be allowed to put Master/slave as registered positions on their tax forms and their ability to walk around with a collar and leash be protected.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

quote:

“BSA no longer stands for the Boy Scouts of America. It now stands for the Boy Sodomizers of America,” Fischer told his Focal Point listeners on Friday. “Because that is exactly that is going to happen.”
AFA is also known as the group that created the Million Mom's campaign apparently.
You know, the BSA has had a lot of problems with dudes molesting kids, and not one of the dudes was openly gay. So, you know, it's already happening, and by "straight" dudes, not gay dudes.

And if you really wanted to keep the boys safe, you'd have the leadership be made up entirely of lesbians.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not saying it's not a choice (it isn't) but from the mindset of the people that think it is, it's equivalent to asking if BDSM enthusiasts should be allowed to put Master/slave as registered positions on their tax forms and their ability to walk around with a collar and leash be protected.

In the bedroom vs. Public space decorum. You might as well ask about married couples that go bang in library bathrooms getting protected too if the myopic mindset is "a sexual interest protected = all sexual interests are protected".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wait so if scouting allows gay minors but not gay adults does that mean the openly gay kids have to turn in their badges or something when they hit 18?

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Wait so if scouting allows gay minors but not gay adults does that mean the openly gay kids have to turn in their badges or something when they hit 18?

I think so yeah.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

e: nevermind

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 26, 2013

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

paragon1 posted:

Scouting only goes up to your 18th birthday, they would have accomplished their Eagle and any other achievements by then.

BrBa
Oct 12, 2012
Pretty odd how the boy scouts thing which doesn't even have anything to do with marriage gets three pages of discussion, but one of the largest and most populous countries in the world achieving marriage equality gets two posts.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

BrBa posted:

Pretty odd how the boy scouts thing which doesn't even have anything to do with marriage gets three pages of discussion, but one of the largest and most populous countries in the world achieving marriage equality gets two posts.
Yeah, they're the biggest country yet by far to legalize it.

Populations of SSM Countries
501.8m total or 7% of the world.
196.7 Brazil
65.4 France
50.6 South Africa
47.3 Spain
40.8 Argentina
34.5 Canada
16.7 Netherlands
11.0 Belgium
10.6 Portugal
9.5 Sweden
5.6 Denmark
5.0 Norway
4.4 New Zealand
3.4 Uruguay
0.3 Iceland

The USA, by state
53.8m total, or 17% of the country
19.6 New York
6.9 Washington
6.6 Massachusetts
5.9 Maryland
5.4 Minnesota
3.6 Connecticut
3.1 Iowa
1.3 Maine
1.3 New Hampshire
1.1 Rhode Island
0.9 Delaware
0.6 Vermont
0.6 DC

(numbers just pulled from Google, from between 2011-2013)

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

platzapS posted:

Yeah, they're the biggest country yet by far to legalize it.

Populations of SSM Countries
196.7 Brazil

The USA, by state
53.8m total, or 17% of the country

If the Supreme Court goes full Loving v Virginia for SSM, then the total increase of population (~262) would be greater than Brazil, and a major symbolic victory for gay rights across the world, perhaps even in that MLK/Ghandi/Mandela sphere of human rights.

Hopefully we can keep the dominos falling!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gerund posted:

If the Supreme Court goes full Loving v Virginia for SSM, then the total increase of population (~262) would be greater than Brazil, and a major symbolic victory for gay rights across the world, perhaps even in that MLK/Ghandi/Mandela sphere of human rights.

Hopefully we can keep the dominos falling!

And if that doesn't happen, just prop 8 being overturned will move the US into second place with 91.8m of it's population with marriage equality.

Sadly even if every single state with domestic partnership laws to made them into full marriage equality laws it still wouldn't be enough to overtake Brazil in that regard.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
You're forgetting about Mexico City with 8.8m and Quintana Roo with 1.4m.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did Brazil have a huge anti-same sex marriage movement like in France?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

I think there's a reasonable Mormon population there, but then again I also think Brazil was the reason last time that the Mormons reformed who was blasphemous or not.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Kurtofan posted:

People against it managed to put on a pretty large protest
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/evangelicals-protest-gay-marriage-in-brazil-1.286770

France is a special case I think though, the French have a proud history of protesting everything from every political side, and Hollande has low approval ratings, so the anti gay marriage protests have been a focal point of all kinds of right wing dissatisfaction.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Amused to Death posted:

People against it managed to put on a pretty large protest
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/evangelicals-protest-gay-marriage-in-brazil-1.286770

France is a special case I think though, the French have a proud history of protesting everything from every political side, and Hollande has low approval ratings, so the anti gay marriage protests have been a focal point of all kinds of right wing dissatisfaction.

Didn't Spain's right-wing party also win the last election? I thought I had heard they were going to try to repeal the marriage equality law there (which they've had since 2005).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

katium posted:

Didn't Spain's right-wing party also win the last election? I thought I had heard they were going to try to repeal the marriage equality law there (which they've had since 2005).

They never attempted a true repeal. The regressives did make a challenge as the ruling party to their supreme court, and it was upheld 8-3 in '11.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A new Franklin & Marshall College poll shows that a majority of PA voters (54%) support legalized gay marriage, and 53% support a constitutional amendment letting same-sex couples marry in the state. Pennsylvanians also support civil unions by a 2-1 margin.

Also, Scotland's marriage equality bill will be introduced in Parliament next month.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I heard on the radio that Ingham County (where much of Michigan's Capitol, Lansing, inhabits as well as a Big 10 Univeristy) is going to recognize out of state same sex marriage with regards to property issues and emergency situations (for example bereavement leave).

I fully expect the GOP to fight it tooth and nail but small steps, Ellie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Illinois Representative LaShawn Ford said today that he will vote for same-sex marriage when the bill comes to vote this week. He was undecided up to this point.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has there actually been a date set for when the Illinois legislature will vote?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

RZApublican posted:

Has there actually been a date set for when the Illinois legislature will vote?

I don't think it's scheduled yet, but they have until May 31 when the session expires. Having tracked a bill through the legislative process in Illinois before (an unsuccessful attempt to repeal the 10-years for recording the cops beating someone law before the seventh circuit did it for them) the scheduling is really chaotic. The leaders in each house can basically call a vote when they feel like it -- or not at all.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
This is from way back, but:

Thanatosian posted:

The LDS Church sponsors about a third of all Boy Scout troops. The Catholic Church sponsors another ten percent. So yeah, between the two of them, they control almost half of the organization, and if they were to withdraw, it would completely gently caress BSA.

And there certainly aren't any atheist troops or agnostic troops, no secular humanist troops. Lord knows the Hindus don't give a poo poo about that (there are, in fact, atheist sects of Hinduism that are considered relatively mainstream).
I was a Hindu Boy Scout. (Well, a Cub Scout. I quit Boy Scouting pretty early on.) Though actually the organization that awarded the Hinduism religion badge was so crappy with communications that I didn't bother corresponding with them enough to get the badge. I did my activities with a very nice Presbyterian troop that welcomed everyone.

Scouting itself is fine and has the potential to be a modern, progressive force. It's the exclusive bigoted jerkwads that give the impression that the whole organization is bad. (It isn't.)

More Later
Mar 31, 2010
Click here to watch the first same-sex marriage to be celebrated in France, LIVE!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

More Later posted:

Click here to watch the first same-sex marriage to be celebrated in France, LIVE!
Loving the huge framed photo of Francois Hollande there. So subtle.

More Later
Mar 31, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

The most awkward photo.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

HOLLANDE WIN, HOLLANDE GOOD

More Later
Mar 31, 2010
So far civilization hasn't crumbled. I'm anxiously waiting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kegluneq posted:

I think there's supposed to be a portrait of the current president during marriages.

More Later posted:

The most awkward photo.

Yeah it is pretty awkward :v:

Edit:Gay couple is happy, noooooooooo

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

More Later posted:

If there's a chance of French civilization crumbling, I would have thought American conservatives would get behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

More Later posted:

Here in Delaware things are looking grim. I just got my week's ration (a can of beans) from SorosCorp and am being sent down to work in the contraceptive mines again next week. Oh and I was forcibly gay married to a goat yesterday. France don't suffer the same fate as us, run while you still can!

• Locked thread