Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Beowulf posted:

So, I just listened to Smash Mouth's first album for the first time ever today. Heard Walkin on the Sun on the radio, decided to put the whole album on at work. Never did I ever have any clue they started out with Ska punk, and holy poo poo did that album kick rear end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPgnSz-NPY for reference

oh my god fush yu mang owns so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Aquabats just shared this on their facebook page, figured some of you folks might be interested.

loving california

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

loving california

I was under the impression that FIF broke up years ago, then I googled and saw that they're back together. For the first time, I'm regretting being on the east coast.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Awesome OClock posted:

I was under the impression that FIF broke up years ago, then I googled and saw that they're back together. For the first time, I'm regretting being on the east coast.

Saw them in NYC in April, it was magical

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Dammit I'm going on vacation the week of that FIF show. :( I can't believe they still tour.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Awesome OClock posted:

My wife and I had an agreement when they got back together that if they ever played east of the Mississippi, then we would go see them, so we traveled to Detroit last November. It was totally worth it. It was there that Reese told us they were coming to Virginia, so we went to their show at Virginia Theological Seminary in April, also totally worth it. If you get a chance to see them, you should do it.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

ObsidianBeast posted:

My wife and I had an agreement when they got back together that if they ever played east of the Mississippi, then we would go see them, so we traveled to Detroit last November. It was totally worth it. It was there that Reese told us they were coming to Virginia, so we went to their show at Virginia Theological Seminary in April, also totally worth it. If you get a chance to see them, you should do it.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them. I've been less than motivated to go out to shows now that I'm getting older, but I've made it a point to see the Bosstones every year for the Throwdown. I actually saw Fishbone for the first time ever a few months ago, and it was probably the best decision I'd ever made.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Beowulf posted:

So, I just listened to Smash Mouth's first album for the first time ever today. Heard Walkin on the Sun on the radio, decided to put the whole album on at work. Never did I ever have any clue they started out with Ska punk, and holy poo poo did that album kick rear end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPgnSz-NPY for reference

There is some really dumb poo poo on that album (Padrino, for example, and Pet Names) but also some really good stuff. I like Nervous In The Alley a lot. It sounds nothing like the Less Than Jake song.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

http://www.soundcloud.com/reallyrecords/teenager

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

I love Solo Jeff almost as much as I love BTMI Jeff

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

I actually didn't care much for "I Look Like poo poo" at first, but it's quickly becoming my current favorite album. He tweeted the new song earlier, and I really dig it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
6:20AM Woke up to new Jeff Rosenstock song and new 'summer club' thing.

6:32AM Bought new summer club thing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow shipping to Australia is horrible, $13 for a $10 item.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

bowmore posted:

6:20AM Woke up to new Jeff Rosenstock song and new 'summer club' thing.

6:32AM Bought new summer club thing.

Peer pressure is a motherfucker. I'll have one of something 499 other people I have.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have no way to play vinyl but I really want more Jeff Rosenstock in my life. THis is killing me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Buy less comics/MTG cards for a few weeks, then you can get a record player.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I have no way to play vinyl but I really want more Jeff Rosenstock in my life. THis is killing me.

there's going to be a digital release

there just has to be :ohdear:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Isn't that half the point of joining the club? Maybe I read it wrong but I thought after you buy it and get the 7" there's a digital release of 2 songs every month or something like that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, 9 songs total exclusive to the club.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

Buy less comics/MTG cards for a few weeks, then you can get a record player.

I have nowhere to put a record player, also I need my nerdcrack.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

I have nowhere to put a record player, also I need my nerdcrack.

Are you homeless?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nerve posted:

Are you homeless?

Really small room with pretty much zero available space.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah, record players are really inconveniently sized considering I keep my entire music collection on a device that can fit in the palm of my hand.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
But vinyl sounds better, you can really hear the warmth of that internal laptop mic on the vinyl pressing of Album Minus Band. It sounds way better than the digital version.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

the vinyl debate is like the "is rancid ska?" debate.

in other news The Hands that Thieve grew on me. I only listened to it two or three times when it dropped and wasn't interested but I've listened to the entire album minimum three times a day for the past week or so. They Broke Him Down and Your Day Will Come seem to be my favorites thus far.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

'Sometimes the only songs that I like are about dying young, having bad days and suicides'

It's funny how we all got bummed out about btmi breaking up. Jeff's never going to stop recording songs.

Also, I may sound like some lovely cult recruiter but I've had success showing someone Oh Cannada, Future 86, Stand there until you're sober, Syke, Life is Awesome!, in that order that got them into Btmi. Unfortunately he went and downloaded TLoDILI which put him off a little but the HOOKS ARE IN, BABY

(I love TLODILI but it is more a weird little EP than an album)

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I just listened through the new Stomp album by Big D and the Kids Table, I was digging it. I particularly liked "poo poo Tattoos" and "Pitch 'n' Sway" on the first listen, but the rest were good. I'm looking forward to hearing Stroll. Anyone else get an email this morning with a link to listen to it?

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
I got my download links earlier. Really liking Stomp, think Pinball's my favorite track. Stroll's not really grown on me yet.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Any of you guys going to the Fest this year? Big D is playing! I really want to road trip down for it and I've never been.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
http://asianmanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/asian-man-music-for-asian-man-people

What would Ska be without covers.

http://asianmanrecords.bandcamp.com/track/shed-some-skin-slow-gherkin

Taxpayers covering the Wild is also awesome.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Oh gently caress me, Mikey Erg is on this. :dance:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Oh gently caress me, Mikey Erg is on this. :dance:

Makes up for BTMI being on it

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Makes up for BTMI being on it

The btmi cover is strange. It's the first cover by them where they haven't completely changed the song they are covering and made it their own. I prefer the original?

Compared to something like Pike Street

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Gabbleduck posted:

The btmi cover is strange. It's the first cover by them where they haven't completely changed the song they are covering and made it their own. I prefer the original?

"If assholes got awards..." is very much in the same vein as the original, to which i also prefer the original.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Except for the part where it's Sum 41's "Fat Lip" for absolutely no reason.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just found out about nazi ska and I can't stop laughing.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
But Nazis have no soul.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Neither do the perfidious jews and their ilk.

Edit: Jamaicans are officially aryan.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Oh God, I saw another one of their videos and half the recommendations were for Skrewdriver :gonk:

And I don't know why I googled that band but the first hit was for Stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Nazi's are the worst.