Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

EVGA makes some pretty great stuff, love that dual fan cooler. I know some folks prefer the reference coolers that exhaust air out of the case but drat, as long as you got enough airflow, that heatsink/fan combo does a better job and looks to be a bit quieter than the ol' "dustbuster" cooler.

If you're only going to be running a single GPU it sure looks like the best choice yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Zotix posted:

I'm just wondering what I should do. I currently have a 580 gtx that runs hot as poo poo. It always has. Right now it's idling at 86 degrees. When I was playing STO last night, it was hitting 98 degress at 100% fan. That's way too loving hot for my comfort level. So here I am, thinking of a new card. The 780 gtx is looking like a beast of a card, but I'm just unsure of what I should do. Should I pick up one of the reference models from Gigabyte, Galaxy, or Zotac that are available right now? Do I hold off for potentially weeks to get the ACX from EVGA? Do I wait for the 770, which could be announced next week or in a couple of months? Do I wait for other after market cooling solutions to come out for the 780 gtx? I'm just really at a loss for what I should do.

Make sure you dont have one of those trojans that mine bitcoins in the background. Also, nvidia cards have trouble throttling if you use multiple monitors. Lastly, check if the fan is spinning.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I reinstalled windows 7 a week and a half ago, so I doubt the trojan is the problem. As this has gone on since last August, and possibly before, as that's when I noticed it. I do run dual monitors, and the fan does spin as I can crank it up from 60% to 100% and noticeably hear the fan working. That will only drop the temp by about 8 degrees under load.

My problem lies with the card right? Either heatsink, or thermal paste, or something. Could anything else be causing it? I really don't understand the 40-45 degree discrepancy between the CPU and GPU, for no real reason. I just want to make sure that if I purchase a 780, that I won't run into a similar issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Zotix posted:

I'm just wondering what I should do. I currently have a 580 gtx that runs hot as poo poo. It always has. Right now it's idling at 86 degrees. When I was playing STO last night, it was hitting 98 degress at 100% fan. That's way too loving hot for my comfort level. So here I am, thinking of a new card. The 780 gtx is looking like a beast of a card, but I'm just unsure of what I should do. Should I pick up one of the reference models from Gigabyte, Galaxy, or Zotac that are available right now? Do I hold off for potentially weeks to get the ACX from EVGA? Do I wait for the 770, which could be announced next week or in a couple of months? Do I wait for other after market cooling solutions to come out for the 780 gtx? I'm just really at a loss for what I should do.
Have you considered getting an aftermarket cooler? A GTX 580 still holds up rather well today, and that could fix your heat and noise problems at a fraction of the price of a new card.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I mean I have a headless 580 idling at 31ºC right now, its 680 sibling which actually does stuff is in its lowest power state too and idling at 29ºC (gotta love power saving advancements). You're idling close to where the Fermi GF110 chips start to throttle, and that's a pretty high idle on the CPU too (granted I've got one of the better heat sinks in the world on my CPU, but it's a Sandy Bridge 2600K from before they split them into 2600K/2700K and it is chilling with the 680 at a cool 29ºC idle, sitting at 4.7GHz on air and at a slightly higher voltage than Intel is really comfortable with :getin:).

I'm not accusing you of being a bad person or even a bad computer owner, amigo, just letting you know that your temps are high and there might be a reason and it might be worth looking into.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 26, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Zotix posted:

I reinstalled windows 7 a week and a half ago, so I doubt the trojan is the problem. As this has gone on since last August, and possibly before, as that's when I noticed it. I do run dual monitors, and the fan does spin as I can crank it up from 60% to 100% and noticeably hear the fan working. That will only drop the temp by about 8 degrees under load.

My problem lies with the card right? Either heatsink, or thermal paste, or something. Could anything else be causing it? I really don't understand the 40-45 degree discrepancy between the CPU and GPU, for no real reason. I just want to make sure that if I purchase a 780, that I won't run into a similar issue.

The cooler is probably seated incorrectly.

Also, not calling you stupid, but if the fan is not ramping up at this temperature... are you sure you are not reading Fahrenheit?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Here is a screenshot from 3 minutes ago, while I'm in game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Again: crack open cooler, it is probably full of dust.

Also make sure the rear of the case where the card exhausts isn't blocked up somehow.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm afraid to open up a video card honestly. I have no problems with everything else for a computer, but cards are another issue. I've cleaned it as much as I can with compressed air.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I think you are may to have to open it up. People have opened up cards that are cooking themselves to find that too much thermal goo was applied by the OEM or it is (more likely and as already mentioned) full of dust.

Edit: that said, my ancient 6870 idles at 41c and under load goes up to 80c. Apparently, for Barts chips that is okay; having a reference card with a lovely blower doesn't help.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 27, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Well my question is, does that seem like it's an issue with the card directly? Like if I purchase a 780 GTX, and lets say it's perfect out of the box, will I likely have high temps similar to the 580, or should they be normal?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Zotix posted:

Well my question is, does that seem like it's an issue with the card directly? Like if I purchase a 780 GTX, and lets say it's perfect out of the box, will I likely have high temps similar to the 580, or should they be normal?

Did you set your card's fan profile? Also see that there is some airflow around the card so that there isn't a stagnant pocket of air from which the it's drawing.

According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-22.html the 780 is designed with a "thermal target" of 80c. So it runs hot but it is designed to do so.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

No didn't set a fan profile, but that really won't make a huge difference will it? As soon as I start my computer up, it's at 80+ degrees Celsius. Even with the fan at 100% while the card is idle, it'll only get down to like 67-68 degrees.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Zotix posted:

No didn't set a fan profile, but that really won't make a huge difference will it? As soon as I start my computer up, it's at 80+ degrees Celsius. Even with the fan at 100% while the card is idle, it'll only get down to like 67-68 degrees.

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are right. Take the word of the more experienced in this thread: there is a major malfunction.

Unless a clogged up heat sink or wonky heat spreader is contagious, no, a new card won't share the same fate. That is unless you have some bitcoin mining virus or whatnot that is eating up your GPU's cycles. I think those exist.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Factory Factory posted:

We usually only get hard release dates when the NDA lifts, and the info we got was "Reference out now, semi-custom soon." So... soon.

Aah, but will they use the conventional definition of soon, or the Blizzard definition of soon?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

The Lord Bude posted:

Aah, but will they use the conventional definition of soon, or the Blizzard definition of soon?

It's already been sent out and benchmarked some places. Actual soon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaocaholica posted:

As long as you're not VRAM bound, a Titan or 780 should smoke a Quadro K5000 at GPGPU tasks given the number of cores on the latter right? No real GPGPU special sauce for the Quadro K5000?
The 780 has double-precision FP operations neutered, while the Titan runs them at full speed.

Zotix posted:

Man, I want your life. Got a pretty great video card that's clogged with dust? gently caress it, throw that poo poo away and drop 650 bones on a new one.

Checking your video card for dust is not some kind of rocket surgery. If you have one with a blower style cooler, there will be a couple obvious screws on the top side of the card that you can remove to pop off the plastic shroud. With the shroud off, you will probably see a gently caress-ton of dust blocking the airflow. Blowers are really susceptible to dust, any case without filters they will eventually clog up. If it's a top-mounted fan (or dual fan) seeing the dust will be even easier, though you still may need to remove the shroud to really clean it well.

It less unlikely to be a thermal paste issue, the card isn't very old and they slather that stuff on pretty good in the factory.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Klyith posted:

The 780 has double-precision FP operations neutered, while the Titan runs them at full speed.

Is this something that could potentially be hacked through the driver? Why is this the case anyway? Is the Titan supposed to target the workstation market? What about Quadro?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Potentially yes, but it involves a BIOS reflash. And even then, you don't get the benefit of ECC RAM, so it's not a "true," production-grade Quadro card. Plus there's the minor problem that there isn't currently a GK110-based Quadro for you to flash over, nor can you use either of the Tesla BIOSes because they use different shader counts than the 780.

The Titan is for the entry-level compute market, like somebody developing apps for a Tesla-equipped supercomputer or doing high-power but relatively short computes where ECC isn't a problem, and they can't afford/don't want to buy a full Tesla K20.

Kepler-based Quadro is mainly for graphics workstations. Fermi Quadro and, if there is one, a 780-like GK110 Quadro pull double duty as the entry level workstation compute cards.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Klyith posted:

Man, I want your life. Got a pretty great video card that's clogged with dust? gently caress it, throw that poo poo away and drop 650 bones on a new one.

Checking your video card for dust is not some kind of rocket surgery. If you have one with a blower style cooler, there will be a couple obvious screws on the top side of the card that you can remove to pop off the plastic shroud. With the shroud off, you will probably see a gently caress-ton of dust blocking the airflow. Blowers are really susceptible to dust, any case without filters they will eventually clog up. If it's a top-mounted fan (or dual fan) seeing the dust will be even easier, though you still may need to remove the shroud to really clean it well.

It less unlikely to be a thermal paste issue, the card isn't very old and they slather that stuff on pretty good in the factory.

With the blower style heatsinks, taking off the shroud and getting into the fins with a medium bristle toothbrush does wonders (maybe get it slightly damp with a little rubbing/denatured alcohol to help clean some out). Definitely helps to get into the heatsink fins more easily too, and doesn't hurt to put on some new thermal paste if it's been a while. I'll usually clean the old off and put new stuff on maybe twice a year just to be safe.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HalloKitty posted:

What's that, you want a 780 that's faster than Titan for less cost than Titan? http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/

Just to quote myself to point this out, read another review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/

Do you think the conclusion was different? No. It really is a card that's faster than Titan for gaming, and with that cooler, less noise under load than a stock 780 or Titan.

drat. The wonder card.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

Just to quote myself to point this out, read another review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/

Do you think the conclusion was different? No. It really is a card that's faster than Titan for gaming, and with that cooler, less noise under load than a stock 780 or Titan.

drat. The wonder card.

Not to mention it's $500 cheaper (at least in Australia).

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Factory Factory posted:

The Titan is for the entry-level compute market, like somebody developing apps for a Tesla-equipped supercomputer or doing high-power but relatively short computes where ECC isn't a problem, and they can't afford/don't want to buy a full Tesla K20.

Am I missing something about these charts (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-28.html) or does the 7970GE smoke the poo poo out of Titan for OpenCL performance?

Or is it just that nobody really uses OpenCL at the moment?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Am I missing something about these charts (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-28.html) or does the 7970GE smoke the poo poo out of Titan for OpenCL performance?

If somebody else wants to get into it, knock it out, but ATI basically just makes their cards highly compute capable and then just prays somebody of note will use them because they're generally cheaper. nVidia, on the other hand, is well known for their development support. Making the sale is step one of, like, a hundred in the high end compute industry, and it's tied in strongly with what happens in steps 2, 3, 4, ... 100.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Un-l337-Pork posted:

There's a reason all bitcoin mining rigs sport AMD GPUs.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

HalloKitty posted:

drat. The wonder card.

Well that's good because I just bought one :woop:. backordered

Should serve pretty well for iRay rendering and that 3GB will be good for bigger texture maps in mudbox.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Un-l337-Pork posted:

HalloKitty posted:

There's a reason all bitcoin mining rigs sport AMD GPUs.
There are basically two users of high-end GPU compute: HPC and bitcoin mining. In HPC, you need things like ECC, very fast double precision, tons of memory bandwidth, good tools, integration with languages like Fortran, BLAS/FFT libraries, etc. NV GPUs and CUDA have all of those things in spades; AMD cards and OpenCL generally do not. With bitcoin mining (or other crypto in general), you need lots of integer math and a barrel shifter. AMD cards provide this just through different architectural tradeoffs. This doesn't mean that the AMD cards would be faster in a lot of HPC workloads because of pipeline differences; the crypto workloads are very easy to optimize in order to max out an architecture, so the more ALUs on the AMD arch actually get used instead of sitting idle due to stalls or inability to provide enough independent work or whatever.

In HPC, nobody uses OpenCL because CUDA support is so much better on NV cards and AMD cards aren't in the running for deployments. Outside of HPC, OpenCL certainly hasn't been widely adopted outside of bitcoin; however, this is true of GPU compute in general (primarily because people don't have too many workloads that actually benefit from it outside of games, and games have their own GPU work to deal with). The weird perception that OpenCL is the up-and-coming thing is due to bitcoin and the weird notoriety of that particular use case, but it's as stagnant as OpenGL ever was in the Longs Peak erar.

However, the idea that you can run the same OpenCL benchmark and get some meaningful performance metric across a range of architectures is total bullshit. CUDA was never designed to be a performance portable programming model, OpenCL did less than nothing to improve on the CUDA programming model (actually made it worse in many ways), and as a result you simply can't write one kernel and expect it to run well on X different architectures (at least, not with anything more complicated than SAXPY). It would be very easy to take a real workload and tweak it very, very slightly to run best on one architecture or another for no obvious reason. Graphics suffers from this as well, but to a dramatically more limited extent for a lot of reasons.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure my GPU is on it's way out. I have an EVGA GTX570HD, recently while playing BF3, I've been getting artifacting and other weird poo poo like garbled or missing textures, the Images on the UI missing/being all wonky.
As far as I can tell it's only happening with Battlefield so far. Iit is inconsistent in occurrence sometime it'll happen almost immediately, other times it will be after about an hour.
I haven't overclocked it at all, and just cleaned it within the past month (i'm pretty sure that I had seen this happen at least once before I took the card out to clean it).
Here's an image of what is going on.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If it's not overheating or a bad overclock, it's bad VRAM. It happens. RMA time.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Professor Science posted:

really good stuff

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. I found it very informative.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Zotix posted:

Seconding that the cooler for your card could be improperly mounted. I have an EVGA 560 Ti 448 which was hitting high temps like you describe while being very noisy. I replaced its cooler with a Gelid Icy Vision and now temps are great and it makes virtually no noise. When I pulled the oem cooler I found it had broken through normal use, and was a pretty poor design, the mounting bracket really couldn't press it against the core, way too much paste too. Silent PC Review has really good VGA cooler reviews, I think there's a newer one they like better than the Gelid. If you're happy with the performance of your current card then it's a $60 bet that could fix your problems.

Also in case you do decide to buy a new keep in mind coolers very significantly between models. Current model Asus Direct CU cards are well liked in this respect. Also the referrence cooler on the 780 is apparently great.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I opened the case on my 580 today, there was a bit of dust in there which I cleaned out. It dropped the temps by about 7-8 degrees. Still hitting high 80's during gaming quite easily. Idles around low 70's now. I'm really thinking of getting a 780. I want the ACX model, but I have a feeling that I'll be waiting a while.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Zotix posted:

I opened the case on my 580 today, there was a bit of dust in there which I cleaned out. It dropped the temps by about 7-8 degrees. Still hitting high 80's during gaming quite easily. Idles around low 70's now. I'm really thinking of getting a 780. I want the ACX model, but I have a feeling that I'll be waiting a while.

That's a lot better. So the final thing I would suggest since you have multi monitor is, download and set up Nvidia inspector and turn on "multi-monitor power saver". For some reason when you have two monitors plugged in it ALWAYS runs in a higher power state. You can change the GPU load at which it kicks up power state, which can take a little tinkering to find what's right for you, but should help out a lot with your high idle temps.

As I understand 600+ series cards don't have this dumbass multi monitor power state problem.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

randyest posted:

Where is it even listed for sale? I don't see it on Newegg.

The ACX listed at Newegg is actually the superclocked sku that those benchmarks were referring to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

Part Number: 03G-P4-2784-KR

967Mhz Base Clock
1020Mhz Boost Clock

Unfortunately it and the EVGA Reference SC were both OUT OF STOCK when I was putting in my order for a 780. I ended up going with the EVGA reference stock GTX 780 instead.

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.

Zotix posted:

Did you reseat the heatsink and reapply some TIM? The temps are still way too high.

My Super Over clocked 580 is idle at 62 (because of the multi-monitor idle thing, I didn't know there was a fix for this).

My second card (a EVGA Super clocked) is 37C idle. Both run low 90s when pushed.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, that's a bit past my comfort level for a video card. I'll either order a 770 or a 780, and when it arrives just RMA the 580. Taking off the outer cover is one thing, removing the heatsink is another.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Man seeing how well a 780 overclocked goes against a Titan makes me really want one, but I have a perfectly good 7950 that I want to last me until HD9000/GTX800... :sigh:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, 780s with the fancy cooler are going to be very luck-of-the-draw; amazon is backordered out 1-2 months. If I were going to attempt a purchase today I'd go direct from EVGA, in my experience (which is becoming less and less anecdotal as I keep buying poo poo from them, hah) they service direct orders in priority, I'd speculate because direct customers are more likely to be very brand-loyal rather than trend-hoppers to which one is fast right now (I mean, we've all gotta know that there are going to be other non-reference coolers coming up that will be fast as all hell too).

I say this because brand loyal EVGA die-hards are more likely to buy into the warranty scheme they have set up and the pre-paid RMA and all that, which makes a lot of money for services that are much more often than not totally unnecessary as the product rarely fails.

So good luck, EVGA ACS hunters. This is the rush - give it a month or two and see how things look when we get some real competition in the "ours is faster :smug:" game. I'm betting on MSI.

Also I hope I get a card and you don't, hth. Just, you know, for now. I still love you guys.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Well, 780s with the fancy cooler are going to be very luck-of-the-draw; amazon is backordered out 1-2 months. If I were going to attempt a purchase today I'd go direct from EVGA, in my experience (which is becoming less and less anecdotal as I keep buying poo poo from them, hah) they service direct orders in priority, I'd speculate because direct customers are more likely to be very brand-loyal rather than trend-hoppers to which one is fast right now (I mean, we've all gotta know that there are going to be other non-reference coolers coming up that will be fast as all hell too).

I say this because brand loyal EVGA die-hards are more likely to buy into the warranty scheme they have set up and the pre-paid RMA and all that, which makes a lot of money for services that are much more often than not totally unnecessary as the product rarely fails.

So good luck, EVGA ACS hunters. This is the rush - give it a month or two and see how things look when we get some real competition in the "ours is faster :smug:" game. I'm betting on MSI.

Also I hope I get a card and you don't, hth. Just, you know, for now. I still love you guys.

I wish EVGA would sell ATI cards :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
There was some site that we all posted back in the rush for the 680 that I used to find mine. It basically had every major marketplace tracked and would send you an alert when stock came in on any of them. I don't remember the name but if you go back enough pages to when the 680 was a big thing you should be able to find it.

edit: I'm nuts and that must have been an earlier iteration of this thread or the Nvidia thread

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 28, 2013