Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
There are several different 'regions' for what it's worth. I'm assuming that the world is governed by the Four Heroes and they each manage their own little corners. I -think- that's right at least. It's been bloody ages since I played this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 20: DOOM HOUSE

Last time, we agreed to be lead to an isolated mansion in the depths of a nearby forest by a shady blonde person. How could we resist?

: "I'd like to know why she hides her face under that hood. What a weird woman!"

And risk losing that sweet red hat? Never!

Surely there is nothing suspicious about how we look now. A heavily armed gaggle of ragtag kids with a talking cat going around babbling about finding the Goddess is like the least suspicious thing in the world!

: "ANYway...let's go and meet her at the gate. If we don't get out of here soon, Leo will catch us!"

: "Do you guys spend a lot of time running away from the largest military force in the world?"

: "'Course not, hot legs. Sometimes, we break into their vessels, too!"

: "...great."

: "Is it dangerous? Has anyone ever died or anything?"

: "Nobody important."

The village of Takkar feels that an unlatched wooden gate is enough to protect the townsfolk from the dangerous creatures infesting the mountain path.

: "There are many monsters along the trail, since it's never cleared out by adventurers... so you must be cautious at all times. There could be something lurking around every corner!"

This is still not the dumbest thing I've ever done in a JRPG to get past one locked door.

Well, nothing for it, let's go gently caress up some woodland animals!

: "I have to dash if I'm going to beat them to the manor, though!"

Music ~ Dangerous Ground

Welcome to the Mountain Pass, the first half of today's dungeon.

There's honestly not a lot going on here.

Except for, y'know, the SKELETON BIRDS!!!

Banshee Fowl are fairly sturdy and can inflict poison, but they're not anything worth really stressing about.

Lucia really hates skeletons, though.

Then there's these monkeys. See that gray ball of pixels near the cloud to Hiro's left? That's a rock. These monkeys like to throw rocks at us, because they are monkeys. If you get hit, you get knocked over, but don't take any damage or anything. It just makes it harder to run past fights.

Apparently all the monkeys are named Rufus and also are actually ogres? Anyway, Rufus is a big ball of HP and muscle, just like he looks. He can either fire lightning from his stumpy little horns, or just deck ya in the face. Both hurt, but as long as you focus fire on him, you can take Rufus down in a turn or two.

Immediately after the fight, Hiro gets beaned with a rock to the dome. Friggin' monkey-ogres.

If I sprint up this hill, maybe I can take out the next one without getting clowned.

gently caress you, Rufus! :argh:

This looks bad. But it's pretty easy. The Death Worm may have an awesome name, but his favorite attack to use in a weird sucky thing where be pulls our whole party towards his mouth.

Like so. This could be disastrous if the Rufus Bros had area of effect attacks. But they don't, so it really just saves Hiro and Ronfar a little walking in the long run. After the remaining Rufus went down, the Worm decided to pulls us in again, instead of trying to actually harm us in any way.

Death Worm? More like...DEAD Worm :smug:

The last new baddie here on the Mountain Pass, and it's just a palette swapped upgrade to the mud men we saw way back in Episode 2. It's probably got the highest HP out of the bunch, but no new attacks or any neat tricks.

He does cough up a free Holy Water, which cures all status effects. Very nice.

The Purity Ring is an accessory that symbolizes the wearer's commitment to avoiding premarital sex. It also protects from poison somehow. It goes to Hiro, because he's basically Kenneth from 30 Rock.

We also find this Wind Ring, which, oddly enough, protects from Fire and Earth elemental damage. I give it to Ronnie, because I figure it's a good idea to keep the healer alive.

And that's it for the Mountain Pass! Time for the real dungeon.

To escape the monsters of the forest, Alpha Team heads into the mysterious mansion.

Music ~ Melancholy Heart

Acceptable Alternate Music Track

Separated from his comrades, Hiro Redfield begins his search for both Bravo Team, and his own squadmates: Captain Ronsker, Jean Valentine, and Lucia Burton.

Twisted creatures roam the mansion's halls. Unimaginable horrors, such as...

Clowns!

Dolls in frilly dresses!

And ROCKS!

Okay, here's the deal with this place. Everything in it has a weakness to one kind of magic or another, usually more than one. But, excluding these Rolling Imps, they all also have a high resistance to physical attacks. Thus, to pass the magic test, you need to use magic. Simple.

Anger Dice is, honestly, your most reliable weapon here. It's magic that deals fire damage and costs 2 MP. The enemies' magic weaknesses means that, unless you roll snake eyes, you'll be doing good damage every time you cast it.

Susie Deaths are the big threat here in the Lunar Estate. They have good HP, can hit harder than the Rolling Imps, and can even leech MP away from a target. They are also, annoyingly, resistant to Wind, so neither of Hiro's spells are any good against them.

Also, they're spooky :ohdear:

But guess what they aren't immune to.

The nice thing about Jean's status spells is that they do damage as well as inflict effects. So, even though a hit from anything will wake the Susie, a single cast of Anger Dice will also kill her. So, Jean can take a Susie completely out of a fight in one move. Not bad.

I hope this isn't Leo's money.

Perhaps I, the master of dying, can make use of this.

//4 Itchy Thirsty

Although this place's gimmick can be annoying and resource draining, it is mercifully short. Like Resident Evil: Survivor! :v:

wanna get dat chest

I guess I should talk about these Knuckle Dusters. As you may expect, they are very slow but very durable. Luckily, they don't do too much damage, because it can take multiple turns wearing one down. They give way more EXP than anything else in this joint, though, so bring 'em on.

Aw yeah

If we swap this with the Broken Star Light, we can avoid becoming a Jean Sandwich

This little roundabout allows you to pick one fight and skip the other. But, it always better to clean out the whole dungeon to maximize your EXP gains before a boss, so we take out both.

This will do nicely if we can find a red one to mix it with.

I'm not sure how Jean puts someone to sleep by dancing at them. Maybe the dance includes a swift kick to the back of the head.

Ah, there you are, you saucy bastard. I'mma open the poo poo outta you.

Looks like Forrest won't be needing this.

Behold! The ultimate bioweapon!

: "No! Don't come this way!"

Music ~ Boss Theme

Acceptable Alternative

So, the Testrant is actually a pretty nasty boss. He shares the rest of the dungeons gimmick of being strong against physical hits but weaker against magic, but he still has tons of HP and a few nasty attacks.

Boomerang counts as a spell, so Hiro's gonna want to use that instead of Poe Sword. Ronnie should be using Anger Dice whenever he's not healing.

Being a boss, William Clownkin is immune to all status effects, but Jean's status spells still do full damage, whereas her fans will be lucky to break double digits. I believe her Paralysis dance does the most damage, so you'll probably want to unleash THE BEES! Since Jean is also the fastest person in the fight, she can use items for emergency healing and MP restoration if things go sour.

gently caress you, Anger Dice! :argh:

Clown 42's most basic attack is just flat out charging someone and smacking the poo poo outta them with his drum.

That is not an insignificant amount of damage.

He then decides to spew bubbles at Hiro, who is currently hidden behind his brightly colored girth. Did I mention the boss gets two attacks per round? Well, the boss gets two attacks per round.

: "TOMMY GUN!"

Next, I use the defense option to move Hiro over here, well away from the rest of the party. Not only does this allow us to actually see him again, but it is also useful defensively.

You see, most bosses like to target Hiro, usually because he's the party's heavy hitter and easy to reach. So, when Toyasis chases after the star of the game, the rest of the party stays well out of range of any AoE attacks he may bust out.

With this strategy, it is very important to keep your tank healed up. Saint Litany is helpful, but gradual regen isn't always enough to keep up. Just keep an eye on Hiro's HP.

After enough punishment, the M-Virus kicks in, revealing the beast's monstrous second form.

Much like with Plantella, this does not change our strategy.

Dollexia does gain new attacks, though. Like these rocket legs.

He uses his girth to bounce heavily on a target a few times before returning to his shoes. Each impact sends out a small shockwave which will damage anyone close enough to the target. This is why I moved Hiro far away from the rest of the gang.

As important as it is to keep the offensive up, Ronfar can always afford to spend a turn healing.

Soon enough, Klownser transforms yet again.

Now he has EYE BEAMS! These can also hit multiple targets, so it's good he decided that he really, really hates Hiro.

Welp, I got careless. Good thing I found that Angel's Tear First Aid Spray earlier.

Nobody fucks with Ronfar's friends.

: "You're small time, Magic Tester." :smugdog:

Music ~ Sweet Victory

Hiro picks up his first screen wide attack spell.

Some nice levels for everyone else, too!

: "You idiots! You've totally destroyed my Mega Magic Tester!"

Hooded Girl Unmasked

: "I guess you did pass..."

: "Ta-daah!

: "Congratulations, you're a winner!"

: "...Is it too late to go back to the caravan?"

: "gently caress my life."

: "My name is Lemina Ausa. You have now officially passed the magic exam to the Magic Guild of Vane!"

: "Did I surprise you?"

Music ~ Lemina's Theme

: "You were after combat data all along!"

: "What? No. What the heck is 'combat data', anyway?"

: "I'unno."

: "Ooookay? Anyway, it was a test..."

: "In fact, if you join right now, you'll be charter members of the Guild! Isn't that exciting?!"

History includes being taken over by an evil stripper and blowing up.

: "You, uh, won't be paid for your services, but it can't be helped... you being apprentices and all."

: "The Harlem Globetrotters?!"

: "...I think I'm gonna stick to talking to the cat from now on."

: "Oh, don't say that! You have to reconsider! You have to join the Guild! Please, please, please!"

: "I'll even make you a deal! Join the Magic Guild right now and I'll reduce your entry fee to 98S!"

: "Entry fee? You never said anything about an entry fee!"

Lemina is either the world's best saleswoman, or the worst. I'm not sure.

: "While we're on the road, I'll tell you all about the Magic Guild, and why you all have to join. And when your quest is over, we'll go to Vane and sign you up for some magic classes!"

: "Huh."

: "Something's off about this girl. How can I put this..."

: "This bitch be crazy."

: "Yeah, what Jean said!"

: "She said she knows magic. Maybe she can throw fireballs and stuff?"

: "That...sounds pretty sweet, to be honest."

: "Maybe she can freeze enemies, like Sub-Zero!"

: "Oh poo poo yes, she is so in!"

Ronfar raises an eyebrow, but wisely says nothing.

: "Don't be silly, Ruby! I'm sure that we'll have a lot of fun traveling with Lemina!"

: "Yeah, lighten up, Red! And besides, there's always room for a lovely lady in our party."

: "Okay, Ronfar, I think we all know what your motivations are! Two words: hands OFF!"

: "Calm down, my emerald-haired angel. I assure you that my thoughts are entirely pure."

: "Seriously, you guys. She's like 16. I was just trying to be nice, goddamn!"

And so, Lemina joins the party. We are now at full capacity and ready to take on the world.

Lookit that arsenal! Lem comes with tons of spells, and we'll go over those next to time as we leave the Takkar Mountains.

NEXT TIME:

:getin:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh look. Just when you really start to take a liking to the characters they shove that down your throat.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh look. Just when you really start to take a liking to the characters they shove that down your throat.
You shut up, Lemina is fantastic. :allears: Definitely a way better character than Mia or Nash, anyway. Even if that's not hard to do.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
This boss is an absolute son of a bitch in the original. He only acts once per round in that version, but he'll also confuse you! Also, you still don't have Angel Tears by that point. Fun! (As an aside, the fight I had with the Magic Tester in my LP was probably one of the less painful fights I could have had with it.)

Although the dungeon as a whole is probably easier in the original, because the encounters aren't random there (very rare for the original Lunar 2) and nothing respawns. So you can go back to town after every fight if you wanted to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I just noticed that everyone gets a smirk battle portrait except Jean (and Lucia, but its painfully obvious why).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Uh, Hiro's wrong, the entrance fee was like, one of the very first things she said to the party...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That boss owned. I mean, it's completely absurd, but that's the whole point. Entertaining as all hell spritework.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Psion posted:

That boss owned. I mean, it's completely absurd, but that's the whole point. Entertaining as all hell spritework.

No, the entire point was to whip my child self's sorry rear end.

I don't know why but this was the only boss aside from some of the last few to give me real trouble. And I was over-leveled to an extent! I mean, it's probably because I was an idiot child and not spacing up my party like I should've, but all of my memories of this place are the horrible beatings I suffered from that drat thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well if Crowetron suffers, we can all call it a job well done. :v:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hot flaming death. I think I like this Lemina character already.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 3, 2013

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Crowetron posted:

NEXT TIME:

:getin:

Haha, lookit how goddamn happy she is to be smiting her enemies with raining brimstone.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just noticed that everyone gets a smirk battle portrait except Jean (and Lucia, but its painfully obvious why).

Jean still has unresolved issues with violence. It is a nice touch, though, and I never noticed until you said something.

Camel Pimp posted:

This boss is an absolute son of a bitch in the original. He only acts once per round in that version, but he'll also confuse you! Also, you still don't have Angel Tears by that point. Fun! (As an aside, the fight I had with the Magic Tester in my LP was probably one of the less painful fights I could have had with it.)

Although the dungeon as a whole is probably easier in the original, because the encounters aren't random there (very rare for the original Lunar 2) and nothing respawns. So you can go back to town after every fight if you wanted to.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that his bubble attack has a chance of afflicting a status effect. It's just Sleep, though, so The Magic Tester was definitely toned down between versions.

Galick posted:

No, the entire point was to whip my child self's sorry rear end.

I don't know why but this was the only boss aside from some of the last few to give me real trouble. And I was over-leveled to an extent! I mean, it's probably because I was an idiot child and not spacing up my party like I should've, but all of my memories of this place are the horrible beatings I suffered from that drat thing.

I distinctly remember struggling with this boss as a kid, too. But coming back to it now, it's really not very difficult at all. The real challenge of the dungeon is managing resources. I think a lot of my troubles with the bosses in this game as a kid stemmed from having no patience for random battles. They really expect you to do some grinding when you hit a new locale.

Psion posted:

Well if Crowetron suffers, we can all call it a job well done. :v:

What else are LPs for?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Lemina casting hellfire has the face of :swoon:.

This is the music that plays for the giant death robot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Msw3zYzpc

The robot's corpse and Lemina's theme lingers when you leave the mansion.

The Spencer mansion has you answering questions from talkative monsters.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 4, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Lemina, why are you trying to make money 100S at a time when you can rain down fire from the heavens and just loot way more than that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BooDoug187 posted:

I don't think there was any reason given for one of the stickers to be a big red X:

Working Designs added an extra bromide to the US release. It was really sort of an inside joke.

Mazed posted:

So, speaking of Parasite Eve, while I was crazy for the creature design in those, I'm equally a fan of the costume design in the Lunar games. A lot of them have a distinctive, sort of Latin American look going. You get the details mainly in bonus art and animated cutscenes.
Fun Fact: the designs for the original Sega CD release were actually based on Russian styles. :eng101:

Jenner posted:

Lunar truly is an amazing series, and it knows it. The only thing that really bothers me about Lunar is just how often the first game is made and remade, it's quite notorious for it. But the second game only exists in these two forms. There was a Lunar 1 IOS game released, I heard, apparently it's buggy as sin.
There were a couple bugs in the first release but they've long since been ironed out.

Crowetron posted:

Fun fact: ZOPHAR actually has a portrait sprite tucked away in the game's files. The devs dropped it, presumably to make his eventual reveal more dramatic. I toyed around with the idea of using it for the dialogue bits, but decided the devs probably knew what they were doing. Also, Ganon's funnier.
Where did you find that? Is there a dump somewhere? I'd love to see it.

SpaceDrake posted:

As others have said, it isn't really clear and on some level doesn't need to be clear because he's there, roll with it. They do drop a couple hints throughout the story, though, which I suppose we can all look at once they come up. Properly following that rabbit hole also raises questions about the nature of what Althena and Lucia are, which is double frustrating because they clearly know but we as players and viewers never really get that answer completely straight.
The series author basically said he didn't really know.

GulagDolls posted:

I don't remember this part of the game being any worse than all the other dungeons. I mean, the battle system in this game is awful, but you play Lunar for the barmaids who reference pop-culture.
Out of curiosity, why do you think it's awful? I always thought the positioning, .etc elements made it far more interesting than other RPGs.

Crowetron posted:

I don't blame Hiro for his raging hormones. He's 17. Game Arts' animators have no such excuse.
Game Arts only really did the originals.

...Or atleast that's what some people who worked there told me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Short update today, because I've spent most of this week playing the poo poo out of Dragon's Dogma (which is a super good game, you guys)

Episode 21: Burn the Earth

Music ~ Lemina's Theme

Last time, I made a bunch of Resident Evil jokes and thus killed a boss. Also, we recruited a new party member.

Let's bail before the mansion self destructs, as mansions are wont to do.

Following Lemina's directions, we head off to the left here. I always wondered why that ladder was there...

Huh. That looks bad.

: "We must have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way...didn't we, Lemina?"

: "Uh...?"

: "What."

Alternate Theme for Lemina

: "You're CHARGING us to take a ride on this moth-eaten rug?!"

: "Of course I am! You may be my new friends, but business is still business!"

: "Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else?"

: "Magic carpet? AWESOME!"

: "Can we do some loop-de-loops?"

: "I am still waiting for someone to explain currency to me."

: "...gently caress it."

: "I have an idea: how 'bout you carry us down one at a time, instead of killing us all at once?!"

: "I'll ask you to be quiet before I have to charge you a complaint fee on top of the transit fee!"

And so, fueled by the power of Steppenwolf, we take to the skies.

Walking is for scrubs :smaug:

: "Lemina? What's the matter? Why do you look so serious?"

: "Because strong magic requires complete concentration. Even the slightest distraction could..."

Welp.

IT IS TOO LATE, CAT! NONE CAN SAVE YOU FROM THE COLD GRIP OF PHYSICAL COMEDY!

: "ACHOO!" (Note: this is voice acted. I have no idea why.)

slidewhistle.mp3

: "..."

: "Was that supposed to--"

: "No."

: "Oh."

: "Dang."

The spleen is an organ made up of cells, and cells contain mitochondria, and therefore cannot be trusted.

: "Is everyone okay?"

: "Uh, yeah, we're fine, Lemina, and thanks for your concern."

: "Well, that wasn't what I'd call a SMOOTH ride, but it was actually kind of fun!"

: "Cheer up, Lemina! What's most important is that we all made it down safely!"

: "Y'know...more or less."

: "Yes, you're right. I can always buy another carpet...even if it won't be quite as nice."

I bet Lemina is the reason they made that Vane Magic School spin off game.

I can see why people might find Lemina's money grubbing personality grating, but it does kinda paint her as one of the most genre savvy members of the party. Think about it: what group of people is more likely to accumulate an ungodly amount of disposable cash than a JRPG party? She knows she just has to hang in there for a couple discs and then she can retire and build a giant golden statue of herself to launch into the sun.

Get Rich or Game Over Trying: The Lemina Ausa story.

Anyway, it's a good idea to hit up that Goddess Statue before wandering off, because we have a ways to go before the next town.

Well, here we are, on the far side of the Takkar Wall. I wonder if there's anything to be found on this side of the door...

He doesn't sell anything new, just the same stuff from the regular Takkar shops. Still nice of the game to give you a shot at restocking after that terrible GHOST HOUSE dungeon.

A short ways west, we find this cave. This little dungeon doesn't have anything interesting going on and is mostly an opportunity to try out your new party member.

Oh, and a chance to catch up with some old friends from Lunar 1. The Killer Buzz is fast and can paralyze you, which is super bad. The Maneaters are slow and can poison you, which barely matters.

Lemina's weapons are staffs. In Lunar 1, if you used a magic staff like an item, it would cast a weak but limitless spell, which was always preferable to just bonking dudes on the head with it. Here, Lem just cuts out the middleman and shoots spells as a basic attack. Different staffs do different elemental damage types, so you might want to keep an eye on what she's wielding if you run into a foe that absorbs a certain type of element.

Her default, the Magic Staff, does non-elemental damage, so no need to worry yet.

The Magic Staff shoots out several orbs that close in on the target to deal damage. Since her staffs give her a ranged attack, Lemina should never ever leave the back of the party. Her armor is pretty dresses, and she is accordingly fragile.

That's a Parasite. They can't inflicted any status effects, but they're faster and more damaging than the rest of the local mooks. Also, they look freaky.

Let's burn it.

Flame conjures a difficult to screen cap fireball and throws it at a single target for lotsa damage. You'll notice that the enemies have moved since the last shot and that's because of Lemina's greatest weakness: she is slow as balls. In random battles, her initial target will usually get murdered by Jean or Hiro or both before Lemina even starts to think about doing anything. This is less of an issue during boss battles, but it's important to keep in mind that she will almost always be the last person to act in a turn if you need her to use any healing items.

I just like this waterfall :shobon:

The cave has mushrooms. Mushrooms can inflict poison and are shockingly sturdy.

Man, I don't feel like dealin' with dis poo poo.

Time for the nuclear option.

:smugwizard:

I don't want to sound biased or anything, but if you don't like Lemina, you just gently caress right off.

Jean hits level 20 and one of her old skills gets pumped up a notch. This happens every now and then, but don't expect every spell to have a leveled up form. Anyway, Butterfly Dance does slightly more damage than Moth Dance did, but more importantly, becomes a group targeting spell. Naturally, the MP cost goes up, but it can still be worth it against the right targets.

It is also very sparkly.

I forgot to mention, but Parasites can also shoot eye beams that hit the whole party! That's a little too spicy for my tastes.

This guy needs to chill out :smug:

Freeze Claw is a cool spell that hits the whole screen, like Burning Rain. It might have been a waste just to ice single foe, but snow big deal.

Along the way we find this.

The Shiro Crest gives the wearer extra mobility in exchange for a lower output of magic damage. Since Hiro will mostly be running at things and hitting them with his sword, it's not a bad idea to give it to him.

Flame Bomb is the middle range of Fire spells, hitting anything within a tight circle.

While it lacks the focused damage of Flame and the sheer devastation of Burning Rain, it can work wonders in the right situations. Sadly, Lemina's slow speed can make it tricky to catch multiple enemies in it.

We shortly leave the caves and return to the mountain path.

Nice view. Interestingly, in the original version of the game, a completely random mini boss showed up here. It was some dude with a gun. A gun! They dropped him from the remake, probably because what was even up with that guy?

:allears:

Well, that was fun(?), now it's back to the caves!

I told you this place wasn't very interesting.

Free stuff, though!

After we roast another Parasite, Ronnie gains a level and a new ability! Revive Litany is nice, but it's probably a good idea to keep a few Angel Tears in reserve, just in case Ron is the one who goes down.

Aaaand back outside! The fog effects are nice.

The Wind Staff is a weapon for Lemina that conjures a tornado, dealing wind damage, obviously. More importantly, it reminds me that Hiro picked up a new spell after the Magic Tester boss.

Vortex is Hiro's screen clearing attack. Because of his stats, it'll never be as powerful or cost efficient as Lemina's big guns.

It's still pretty sweet, though.

And Lem gets a level and a new spell out of it! Ice Shell is just a flat defensive boost; the ice stuff is just flavor. It's a good idea to drop this on at least Ron during most boss fights.

And with no fanfare or anything, we are done with...that place. I forgot to check if it had a name. Oh well.

To the north, we see signs of civilization. What awaits us in this new town? Danger? Intrigue? Subterfuge??? We'll find out soon enough.

it is none of those things

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Crowetron, I'm just gonna call you Claptrap from now on because you made an ice pun. Several nice puns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So is Ruby too feeble to retrieve that carpet or something? Lemina's all "Oh no! That thing was in my family for eight generations! OH WELL, guess I'll just leave it there."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So is Ruby too feeble to retrieve that carpet or something? Lemina's all "Oh no! That thing was in my family for eight generations! OH WELL, guess I'll just leave it there."

Ruby is a cat. Cats do not give a gently caress.

Casull posted:

Crowetron, I'm just gonna call you Claptrap from now on because you made an ice pun. Several nice puns.

Careful, too many puns will make me sickle.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Crowetron posted:

I bet Lemina is the reason they made that Vane Magic School spin off game.
Actually, I don't think that Walking/Magic School took place in Vane -- it was in some other school that was like, a feeder school to Vane or something.

But there is a Magic School anime in case you want to watch that!

Crowetron posted:

Nice view. Interestingly, in the original version of the game, a completely random mini boss showed up here. It was some dude with a gun. A gun! They dropped him from the remake, probably because what was even up with that guy?
It's the same guy /dragon you meet in the epilogue. Given what he guards, I have to wonder if it's lost blue star technology.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

What's a nice Jewish girl doing in a game like this?

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2013

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In the last update I started doubting myself about Lemina being as annoying as I remembered, but this update shows how annoying she can get pretty well.

She does blow things up good though, and if I remember right she's crucial to the "strategy" I had for killing random encounters on the first turn forever.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I like Lemina. And really, I don't see the point in getting worked up about characters who are intentionally written with a certain degree of obnoxiousness. She's loud and grandstanding, and it's pretty obvious that she's supposed to look like she's trying just a bit too hard. It's particularly evident considering she just met us and is attempting to be impressive. She fits in like a glove with the rest of these bozos we've picked up on our adventure.

Crowetron posted:

That's a Parasite. They can't inflicted any status effects, but they're faster and more damaging than the rest of the local mooks. Also, they look freaky.

Despite having the trappings of a typical fantasy setting, Lunar likes to throw creepy alien-looking enemies at us. To remind us that we're on the moon. :v:

Small White Dragon posted:

Fun Fact: the designs for the original Sega CD release were actually based on Russian styles. :eng101:

Come to think of it, that makes sense, especially considering Alex's hat and Luna's dress. Still love the look, all around.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 13, 2013

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Am I the only one who uses Lucia in battle as a meatshield? She's not doing anything most of the time, why not soak up some damage? Plus she always attacks with Napalm Shot when she takes damage. Despite her low HP, her defense is actually pretty good. The Magic Tester is trivial if you throw Lucia alone on the front taking all the damage, counter attacking while Ronfar heals. Lucia's attacks don't have any sort of affinity so it always does damage.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Who did the art in general for this series? The style is like, THE quintessential 90's anime look, with the way faces and general body types are done.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ah, man, they do give you stuff a lot earlier in the remake. This happens in the original too; as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason spells morph in this version is to emulate the original. I, uh, still don't have any spells that have morphed. Although I do have the MExp and I'm saving it to hopefully pull off a certain glitch...

And you already have the revive spell?! I still don't have Angel Tears and I'm in Zulan! Although Ronfar does learn that spell in the original, but he doesn't learn it until level 30 something.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sgt Thud posted:

Who did the art in general for this series? The style is like, THE quintessential 90's anime look, with the way faces and general body types are done.

Toshiyuki Kubouka, apparently. Surprisingly, he hasn't done that much character design work, but I'll always love him for Giant Robo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everything about Lemina is funny. At least the complainers don't get to hear her battle speeches in the LP. It might give them a mega headache.

thegloaming posted:

What's a nice Jewish girl doing in a game like this?
They converted from Star Trekism.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I meant to have an update ready this weekend, but this week was busy and I'm bad at budgeting time. In apology, have this thing I found over in the Weird Fanart Thread:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crowetron posted:

I meant to have an update ready this weekend, but this week was busy and I'm bad at budgeting time. In apology, have this thing I found over in the Weird Fanart Thread:

The only way this could possibly be better is if Leo were a centaur. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The blast radius on Lemina's area spells looks kind of teeny. Especially since she moves so slowly. Are there like multipart bosses where she can blast every part of it with those?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

This is a thing of beauty and is now my phone wallpaper. The "Justice Sword" scratched on the chainsaw just makes it for me.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh, wow, I think I've still got this game in my closet. I always got sick like halfway through, so I'll be following along on this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 22: See You Later, Shemplords

Last time on Lunar 2, we picked up a new party member and she immediately set everything on fire because she is the best.

Today, we head to the town of Nota and I get to transcribe a whole bunch of NPC chatter!

Music ~ Village Theme

That Goddess Statue is always a welcome sight. Before we head into the city proper, let's wander over to the left.

: "I just wanted to share the glory of the Goddess Althena with you, and request a small donation."

Lucia says it's business time.

Ruby is a hardcore internet atheist

: "Uh...um...oh, I'm just no good at talking to people. Althena didn't give me an outgoing personality."

Let's pop into that sanctuary. Looks kinda small, though...

Oh. Huh.

: "Now my home is used to serve the Goddess Althena, and that makes me very happy. I have gladly given everything I own to The Chosen, in exchange for the salvation of my soul."

Financial advice from a wizard, coming this fall to MSNBC.

: "A word of advice: don't give away either of the two brain cells you have left!"

: "Daaaaaaamn!"

: "I dunno about that. I mean, you're a looker, but most beautiful in the world? Eh."

: "I'd say, when you're walking down the street, you are definitely in the top three good-looking girls on the street."

: "Depending on the street."

: "Well, obviously."

: "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. Anyway..."

: "Uh, sure."

Condescending NPCs are very funny to me.

: "...but then someone compared the two halves of Nota to Lunar and the Blue Star. It was an innocent comment, but it caused a rift between East and West that continues to this day. Which half of Nota was the Blue Star, and which half was Lunar? The debate rages on and on..."

: "...so you're saying the people of this town are stupendously stupid?"

: "Yep!"

: "Good to know."

Anyway, let's actually head into Nota.

: "I have long been intrigued by their mystery. Why were they constructed, and by whom? Alas, I have never been intrigued enough to explore the ruins myself. I fear what might lurk within."

: "Maybe those ruins are filled with mounds of old treasure! Let's go and find out!"

: "Yeah, and maybe those ruins are filled with the remains of money-grubbing adventurers."

Actually, Ronnie, as a Cleric, you are the party member best equipped to combat the undead :sperg:

So, there's a minor subplot going on here. The Mayor of East Nota wants his kid to marry the Mayor of West Nota and unite the two towns through this symbolic gesture. The daughter is in love with some other dude, and is grappling with the choice between her duty and her heart.

I like this subplot because it looks like a massive side quest, but guess what? IT'S NOT! No one asks for your help or advice, and everyone just deals with their NPC problems themselves! We're free to just keep on trucking and get back to saving the world! It's great! I ain't got time for your Romeo and Juliet bullshit, I'm the goddamn protagonist!

My face in one the cover of the game, and now I'm just gonna take your poo poo! Suck my balls, supporting cast! Bwahahahaha!

The Gauss Necklace is neat, but nothing to get too worked up about. 7 HP isn't that much, really. Still not a bad idea to toss it on Hiro or Ron, since the ladies can be effective without running into the melee.

:)

: "It's the rarest and most delicious fish in the world! And if ya don't believe me, go on and have a bite!"

: "'Delicious fish'? Those are the most beautiful words I've ever heard! Let's have a bite..."

: "gently caress you, too, pal."

: "I don't want to be a merchant like my dad. I want to be a Dragonmaster and work for Althena!"

This kid brings up a good point. The Dragonmaster is a big fuckin' deal in the world of Lunar, but we don't even know the current dude's name. I bet he'll turn out to be a totally cool dude who goes around high-fiving people and doing sick ollies over canyons. Yeah, that's gotta be it.

Now let's get drunk.

: "Who, Ruby?"

: "I'm sorry, miss, but Ruby's my adventuring assistant...and she says she's not a cat."

: "I'm NOT a cat, Hiro, and I'm not your 'assistant', either!"

: "..."

: "What."

: "Pfffftwahahahahahahahaha!"

: "It's funny how all your guys are reacting to something that DEFINITELY DID NOT JUST HAPPEN BECAUSE NOTHING HAPPENED AT ALL!"

: "They're always telling us what we should and shouldn't do, just like the stiffs from West Nota!"

:patriot:

Man's got conviction. I like his style. No time to join him, though.

: "Just make sure you're not quite so carefree about spending your silver with the local merchants. Those shopkeepers will rip you off at every opportunity, and do it with a smile on their face!"

After being warned to be careful with our money, we find this incredibly rare and expensive item just laying around! Silver Lights are the upgraded versions of Star Lights, and they heal ALL MP. These things are great, but you'll want to save it for a rainy day.

These are the merchants we were warned about.

The item shop doesn't have anything new.

The armor shop, however, has at least one upgrade for everyone. Hiro gets a new Iron Shield and Iron Helm, Ronnie gets a Silver Bandanna, Jean picks up a Flared Dress, and Lem gets the Silver Robe.

It's worth noting that Lemina's robes also effect her Wisdom stat, which modifies her magic damage. Not by much, but it's something to consider if money's tight.

The weapon shop only has one new toy, but it's a sword so phallic that it can only be wielded by men. At least that's the only explanation I can come up with for that description.

: "A monster called the Destroyer was romping around Larpa...a statue of Althena was smashed in Dalton...and the gates of Takkar were closed for a short while. As I said, it's insanity!"

I like that a gate being closed for a few days is equally as crazy as The Destroyer terrorizing a village.

Well, we're here now, so chances are good.

Yoink

Those are also the trading methods of literally everyone ever.

Man, times were tough for salesmen before fine print was invented.

: "Everyone there is stuck-up and uses really big words when they talk to try to sound all smart. But the old guy who runs the shop I visit is always nice to me. He's not like everyone else there!"

: "...kay."

Well, let's cross this bridge and get movin'.

: "This bridge is the only route between West and East Nota. Everyone in the village used to hold their weddings out on the bridge, including my wife and I."

: "When the relationship between East and West Nota went sour, the weddings came to an end. The bridge used to symbolize our joined communities. Now it's a symbol of the distance between us."

Now that every one is good and depressed, we can move on.

The party gets halfway across the bridge before it begins to rumble and shake.

Music ~ JUSTICE

: "You did well to get this far...but you'll not escape again!"

: :smug:

: "Aw, nuts."

: "Lord Leo knew that you would come here. You fools stumbled right into our clutches!"

Welp, it's all over now. All Leo has to do is give the kill order and we're hosed.

: (Holy crap. Leo, you big beautiful idiot, I love ya!)

: "They don't send the Dragonship Destiny to capture just anyone!"

: "I bet I know why the Guard is after you, Hiro...you took out a loan and never paid it back!"

: "It's too bad you didn't meet me sooner. The Magic Guild's loans are practically interest-free!"

: "Whoop whoop whoop!"

And so, our heroes run the gently caress away. Although, looking at it now, that's not that many soldiers. We could probably take 'em.

Oh dang.

A few moments later, the gang reflects on their circumstances.

: "We have to leave Nota and get Leo and the Guard to chase us. Then we can pass the bridge."

: "Well, Hiro, why don't we go to the Carnival at the north end of the Madoria Plains? Giban and the others should be there by now, and they have a device called the Magic Arrow."

: "Wait a minute. Shouldn't we still be getting chased? Why did the Guardsmen stop?"

The world's most powerful military, ladies and gentlemen!

NEXT TIME

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I should probably mention that none of the drama with West versus East Nota or the doomed romance subplot is in the original. East and West Nota are super tight in the original.

Oh, and there's no guard pile-up in the original (I'm not sure if all those sprites on screen would have strained the Sega-CD, but I'm guessing yes.) They just... stop. It's even dumber, somehow.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Crowetron posted:

The world's most powerful military, ladies and gentlemen!

I love this game. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Man, why did I never play the Lunar games as a kid? :allears: The localisations are fantastic.
...You mean this isn't Sol-Falena, land of perverts and assholes?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
That dogpile of soldiers really made me laugh. Just as a reminder the original dogpile of dogpiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmV4D_YCm6s&t=1025s

<3 ~~~Buster Keaton-samaaa~~~ <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, I spent all that time trying to think of a Stooges pun when a Keystone Cops reference was right in front of me the whole time! Dang it!

• Locked thread