Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Jesus I'm so sorry to hear about Paterson. Goondolences, dude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My condolences about Patterson. It is always nice to have some last time with your bun. I hope Bitsy will be ok.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
We took him back today to get cremated. She's not really letting me come close to her but she's like that normally. I'll spend lots of time in that room with her and wait until she comes to me. This was very unexpected. I'm really hoping that she will be ok :(

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I am so, so sorry to hear about poor lovely Paterson :(

He was a gorgeous and you gave him a lovely life.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

As far as we can tell it was heart failure. They took an x-ray a while ago and there was a black area around his heart / lungs that the vet explained could be a heart murmur or something else that could cause heart failure and we would monitor it and see how it progressed.

This was a really great few weeks and I honestly couldn't have asked for more.

Im sorry lusciouos. He was a cute little bun-man. At least he was happy and at home with his friends.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 24, 2013

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
So sorry about Paterson. At least he was happy and active his final weeks. I will miss his cute bun face though.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Thanks for the kind words friends. She's coming out of her room now and sitting on the carpet in the hallway. I've been giving her rubs and that's nice... I'm hoping that she will be okay and will adapt nicely.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Update: I did hear from the vet, it just took her a while to respond. She okayed the meds and subq fluids, so we did the whole lot (metacam, cisapride, lactulose, and reglan). After 30 minutes on a heat pad his temp was up to normal. Three hours later he was eating like a champ, and he has been since then. Fortunately we do have the regular check-up already scheduled for Saturday so he'll get a good once-over.

I just get concerned about whether I should just go ahead and give meds when a bun isn't eating, or if I need confirmation from the vet first. Makes it very stressful when it's nighttime.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

justFaye posted:

Update: I did hear from the vet, it just took her a while to respond. She okayed the meds and subq fluids, so we did the whole lot (metacam, cisapride, lactulose, and reglan). After 30 minutes on a heat pad his temp was up to normal. Three hours later he was eating like a champ, and he has been since then. Fortunately we do have the regular check-up already scheduled for Saturday so he'll get a good once-over.

I just get concerned about whether I should just go ahead and give meds when a bun isn't eating, or if I need confirmation from the vet first. Makes it very stressful when it's nighttime.

We keep metoclopramide in the fridge and the vet trusts us to use it judiciously when we see that Cilantro's not eating. That's really the only thing we keep at the house and give her as necessary.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.

luscious posted:

Paterson passed away today :(

I don't think that there could have been a better time for it to happen, considering how active and happy he has been these last few weeks. I brought him home tonight so we could say goodbye. I'm not sure how Bitsy is dealing with it... she's been around him and has been grooming him, from what I can tell. Tomorrow we are taking him to be cremated.

He will be missed by many. My sweet man.

I'm so sorry.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro hasn't eaten her breakfast yet today, so I've given her one dose of Reglan. She's just sitting in her litter cage breathing fast.

I see a vet trip this afternoon. :smith:

Edit: Saw the vet. Her abdomen is slightly distended so the vet recommends reglan and simethicone. She also did a shot of penicillin G preemptively. Time to get some gas drops!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 25, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Hoping she's ok :worry:

Bitsy seems to be doing ok. I'm trying to spend a lot of time with her in her room. Not getting TOO close to freak her out but at least being near her so she can come to me.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something that'll hopefully cheer you guys up.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
just wait until the pellets and urine flows

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's pretty impressive, where is it from?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's pretty impressive, where is it from?

My guess is Okunoshima. CIlantro's eaten two plates of greens and pooped a few times but still seems "sick." She's had simethicone drops and a 2nd dose of reglan. Here's hoping we don't have to go back tomorrow to see the vet again!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Has to be Okunoshima. I just wonder if he laid down voluntarily or if the rabbits finally realized they outnumber visitors.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cutest mauling ever

E: I bought mint for Gordon and I know she's hungry but she's not eating it did I get a defective rabbit

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 26, 2013

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We recently moved into a new apartment. We used to live in a basement with little sun, but our new place has lots of sun. Gracie loves it.

I told her she should be a model in the next edition of american bunparel but she only gave me the disdainful look she reserves for the worst bunny related jokes. Still though, I caught her later cleaning herself off in case more photo opportunities presented. Grace is the best.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Dat dewlap.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Was intending to shut Juppo in her cage when I came back from the shower as I'm going to bed in a second, and found she was already sat in it. When she saw me come in she jumped up at the sides like she usually does when she wants letting out, then ran round to the front, tried to stand up with her paws against where her cage door usually is when it's closed, and fell right through. She looked so drat surprised I nearly fell over from laughing.

Anyways I put her to bed and now she's throwing her litter tray round and stomping. It's like having a teenager I swear.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Girlfriend moved her rabbit into my house this weekend. She's super antisocial and kind of mean. Cute, though. Cat's been totally indifferent to having a rabbit in the house, so that's nice.

I'm a little worried, though--the rabbit has a 5x7 caged off area with a carpet to hop around in. She's not. She literally spends all day and all night sitting in her box. Woke up this morning to find that overnight she'd dragged her food dish close to the box so she can sit in the box and eat.

Dragged the water over myself, and the rabbit started drinking like it hadn't seen water in days.

So...what gives? It's only been like 48 hours, so maybe she's still adjusting? Is she ever going to leave the box? Sitting in the same place all day and all night doesn't seem real healthy :ohdear:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FairGame posted:

Girlfriend moved her rabbit into my house this weekend. She's super antisocial and kind of mean. Cute, though. Cat's been totally indifferent to having a rabbit in the house, so that's nice.

I'm a little worried, though--the rabbit has a 5x7 caged off area with a carpet to hop around in. She's not. She literally spends all day and all night sitting in her box. Woke up this morning to find that overnight she'd dragged her food dish close to the box so she can sit in the box and eat.

Dragged the water over myself, and the rabbit started drinking like it hadn't seen water in days.

So...what gives? It's only been like 48 hours, so maybe she's still adjusting? Is she ever going to leave the box? Sitting in the same place all day and all night doesn't seem real healthy :ohdear:

She is likely just stressed from moving to a new place. She is seeing the box as her "safe area", so that is where she is staying until she adjusts.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Khisanth Magus posted:

She is likely just stressed from moving to a new place. She is seeing the box as her "safe area", so that is where she is staying until she adjusts.

Yup, this. I hope she acclimates soon. You'll be petting a bunny in no time!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
As others have said, that's pretty normal behaviour for a rabbit in a new environment. Keep the cage door open when you're around and can supervise, but otherwise do your best not to put your hand in her cage unless necessary (food/water/cleaning).

Also, cats and rabbits tend to get along fairly well.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
After doing some frantic googling, we found out that it's completely normal for Cilantro's urine to be bright red. :aaaaa:

She's on antibiotics, reglan, and simethicone right now and apparently antibiotics can turn rabbit urine red.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Shame, the lawn had to be treated with bug stuff a while ago so bunn haven't been outside for a while. Much happier now.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Might have to find a new home for my rabbit Hass. Still up in the air but I'm at the mercy of the apartment owner.

Where's the best place to look for a new home for her. I'm seriously going to be heartbroken if I have to get rid of her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I've finally managed to train Harriet. So far, she only listens to one command.

"Harriet, IGNORE ME COMPLETELY"

Soon I'll get her trained on "Run away as soon as I get near"

(Actually, I've gotten her trained to hop into her cage for bedtime as soon as I snap my fingers)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Looks like I might be adopting a bunny in the next few weeks. Poor little Templeton has her basic needs met, but has mats around her head (she's a lionhead). How should I best proceed with those? Will a groomer know what to do? How do you even find a groomer that can do rabbits?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Hey guys,
it's been a week. We have been good. I've been giving Bitsy lots of love and have been hanging out in her room. I cleaned it out, which was hard, and ordered a new carrier for her. I uploaded a lot of pics and vids of them from my phone. Here's one of Paterson trying to understand the fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKN-OPibIiU

:3:

luscious fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 30, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Gosh he reminds me so much of Billy. I hope Billy stays with me for such a long time. The very idea of losing him :smith:

voodoonoid posted:

Might have to find a new home for my rabbit Hass. Still up in the air but I'm at the mercy of the apartment owner.

Where's the best place to look for a new home for her. I'm seriously going to be heartbroken if I have to get rid of her.

You can't get out of the no pets thing by playing the "caged animal" technicality card?

Depends on where you live. If you're in the US you can apparently find a good nearby shelter through the House Rabbit Society.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Looks like I might be adopting a bunny in the next few weeks. Poor little Templeton has her basic needs met, but has mats around her head (she's a lionhead). How should I best proceed with those? Will a groomer know what to do? How do you even find a groomer that can do rabbits?
You can easily remove tangles and such yourself, I trim Billy's mullet myself, no sense in spending money on a groomer who most likely won't know what to do with a rabbit. There's a few things to remember though- first is that the "hair" on a lionhead is thinner than fur but there's more of it so you are gonna need some heavy duty scissors to get through it. Secondly it's that you have to make sure she's as comfortable as possible. When a rabbit is trying to escape your grasp it might suddenly jerk its head to the side and that's not something you'd want if you have sharp instruments there. It's best to get a friend to help you hold her, or put her on a table or shelf or anywhere that seems unfamiliar and sort of intimidating to the rabbit, they're much less likely to put up a fight then.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Gosh he reminds me so much of Billy. I hope Billy stays with me for such a long time. The very idea of losing him :smith:

Your female dwarf is like Bitsy, right? We basically have the same bunnies :3:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

DS at Night posted:

It's best to get a friend to help you hold her, or put her on a table or shelf or anywhere that seems unfamiliar and sort of intimidating to the rabbit, they're much less likely to put up a fight then.

We've also found this to be very true, which is helpful at nail-clipping time. Peanut gives no fucks so she struggles and wants to climb away and chew the towel and what, while Snoopy is too scared to move so it's easy to clip hers.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah I should mention that people are starting to say you should not "trance" or hypnotize your bunny because it's a prey animal reaction and they're only staying still because they're really terrified. So it's better to wrestle a pissed off rabbit into a towel burrito even if it means bloodshed.

luscious posted:

Your female dwarf is like Bitsy, right? We basically have the same bunnies :3:

Yeah, unstoppable juggernauts of destruction. I don't think either her or Bitsy will die any time soon. IF EVER.

I swear not only does she never sleep, I don't recall ever seeing her blink.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Yeah, unstoppable juggernauts of destruction. I don't think either her or Bitsy will die any time soon. IF EVER.

I swear not only does she never sleep, I don't recall ever seeing her blink.

hahah this is so true :)

HOWEVER! In the past week she seems to have calmed down a lot. I see her laying down and sleeping more - it's like she's relaxing because she isn't focusing so much on other things. OR SHE'S HORRIBLY DEPRESSED!

Bitsy has also developed cherry eye in the last few months. It isn't bad but it's there. She's also been grooming her ears more than normal. The vet says that there isn't anything in her ears like mites and they don't smell and aren't infected. Maybe it has something to do with the cherry eye? I dunno.

I'm going to get more carpets on the weekend so she can go around my apt a bit more. Maybe some new boxes for her to burrow under as well. I threw out their tunnel after he passed because I thought that having his smell around everywhere would be upsetting and confusing. Also the tunnel was literally falling apart.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro saw the vet today for her third and final shot of penicillin. She got a good looking over of her jaw to make sure there wasn't anything weirder than usual going on with it. He assured us that her red urine, while weird, was not health related, was not blood, was something that happens and would go away in time.

Other than colored pee, she's fit as a fiddle and a specimen of health.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

DS at Night posted:

You can't get out of the no pets thing by playing the "caged animal" technicality card?

When I was talking with management yesterday she asked if she was in a cage to which I said yes. That's when she told me that she would talk to the owner. I was told that their main concern was that a rabbit might attract more pests and rodents because they view rabbits as unsanitary (I'm very prepared to disprove this.) Haven't heard back from them yet but I wouldn't be surprised if I have a meeting with them at some point. Cats and dogs are allowed at this apartment complex.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Hello everyone. My girlfriend and I adopted a two year old white rex today from a shelter in Alexandria. We have named him Rollie (we're both originally from North Carolina, so bit of a double entendre). He is hanging out in his cage right now in order to acclimate to the new environment before we give him run of the apartment (which is bunny-proofed and carpeted). I'm looking forward to many happy years with him. We are both obsessed with animals but this will be our first bunny. I've read through much of the thread for tips and advice and it's been a much appreciated resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Prawned posted:

Shame, the lawn had to be treated with bug stuff a while ago so bunn haven't been outside for a while. Much happier now.

Whenever you post pictures of your rabbits they always look terribly guilty. I mean, being rabbits it's likely they've done something terrible within the last hour, but still.