Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't like the "Ymir is a Wall Titan" theory because if Ymir was capable of using the hardening technique she probably wouldn't have sat there and got eaten and torn apart so easily by the horde of titans when she transformed. Aside from that it's really compelling -- timescale wise, Bertholdt and Reiner would've been kids when they knocked down the walls and, upon transforming back to humans to blend in, suddenly this crazy human piloted titan comes out of nowhere and starts attacking stuff near them. So Bertholdt and Reiner are running away from something and the only way out is through the second gate -- Reiner transforms to the armored titan, breaks it down, and they go about their mission from there.

Does anyone have a theory on the sudden motivation all the titans seem to have. I think we may get some motivations out of Bertholdt and Reiner next chapter since they set all the events into motion, but why did they decide to invade after 100 years of peace? Especially since they were only kids at the time. Perhaps they wanted humans to leave the walls, so they had to tear them down first.

Their age is interesting to think about - are all the 104th division supposed to be the same age - do people enroll in the military at a certain age? They didn't seem like it, but maybe. If so, then all the shape-shifter titans are the same age - ie, made at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The 104th arent the EXACT same age, if I remember right, but they are close. There is like a 2 year age range among them. Eren and co. obviously signed up as young as they were allowed to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems reasonable to think that all the wall titans are really huge/tall titans, so I doubt Ymir was in the wall. The one they showed us is, and it would be kinda strange if the wall, which is of uniform height, was made up of a mish-mash of a bunch of different titans ranging from Ymir size to near-colossal size.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some unordered thoughts:
Wall Ymir sounds plausible. She might have been in the mobile part Rainer broke. There is no particular reason why petrified titans would have to age so I don't see that as a problem.
Why does everyone assume that she attacked Rainer before the wall was broken instead of right after?
As to getting eaten, she might not have the ability to harden on her own.

We don't actually know if Rainer can't read the language on the cans. If it was Titan speech he wouldn't have admitted knowing it.

Shadow0 posted:

Perhaps they wanted humans to leave the walls, so they had to tear them down first.

Rainer states explicitly that their goal was to kill all humans behind the walls. Maybe the wall titans can only leave when there are no longer any humans to protect?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I caved. Read everything in a day.

Holy poo poo. I never suspected Reiner, I just thought he was such a cool and upstanding guy. Him wrestling a titan was just so cool. And then blam. "Hey dudes we're the big bads" and it just makes sense. Ofcourse he is the armored titan, he looks just like him. Ofcourse Bert is the Colossal Titan.

Just like when it was revealed that Annie was the Female Type titan. (totally did not see that coming, I mean she was part of the MP, nowhere close to where the scouts were) But it still made so much sense.

UGH. This Manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Affi posted:

Holy poo poo. I never suspected Reiner, I just thought he was such a cool and upstanding guy. Him wrestling a titan was just so cool. And then blam. "Hey dudes we're the big bads" and it just makes sense. Ofcourse he is the armored titan, he looks just like him. Ofcourse Bert is the Colossal Titan.

Just like when it was revealed that Annie was the Female Type titan. (totally did not see that coming, I mean she was part of the MP, nowhere close to where the scouts were) But it still made so much sense.

UGH. This Manga.

Yes, these are the posts, the posts that I just eat up. :unsmigghh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

genericnick posted:

Some unordered thoughts:
Wall Ymir sounds plausible. She might have been in the mobile part Rainer broke. There is no particular reason why petrified titans would have to age so I don't see that as a problem.
Why does everyone assume that she attacked Reiner before the wall was broken instead of right after?

I thought it was at the very least heavily implied that she attacked Reiner/Bertholm's village before Reiner/Bertholm attacked the wall.

edit: One thing I wondered about is how Bertholm was able to eat Ymir without killing her (or at least how he was able to recover her after reverting). If I recall correctly, the stretcher she was on was also intact. I'm assuming that the other guy he ate (that he got the 3d gear from) died?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 28, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One thing I wondered about is how Bertholm was able to eat Ymir without killing her (or at least how he was able to recover her after reverting). If I recall correctly, the stretcher she was on was also intact. I'm assuming that the other guy he ate (that he got the 3d gear from) died?

Bertholm is huge. That means he has a huge mouth.
As long as he doesn't swallow, I think it'd be possible to survive his mouth for a short while.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Bertholm is huge. That means he has a huge mouth.
As long as he doesn't swallow, I think it'd be possible to survive his mouth for a short while.

He was tilting his head back though, so it seemed like he gulped them down.

I guess I can understand Ymir being able to cope with the stomach acid for such a short time, if that's what happened.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

genericnick posted:

Why does everyone assume that she attacked Rainer before the wall was broken instead of right after?

Because the timing would be wrong for that. In order to join up in human society and be part of the military, the best option for them would have been to break down the door, cause a little havoc, then transform back to human form and join the refugees trying to escape into Wall Sina. That may not have been the whole substance of their original plan, but it is what they did.

For Ymir to have attacked them after they came inside, they would have had to come in, established a base camp village inside the farmland section of the walls, then somehow snuck into the next closest city and join up with the military. I guess it's possible they could have come in during the confusion of Operation "gently caress that section of the population" or pretending to be lost kids found by a group of scouts, but then they'd have to field the questions of how they managed to survive titan infested land as children. It just doesn't make as much sense.

Ytlaya posted:

Died or left in such critical condition that he would die quickly. Eren was able to survive in a titan stomach for a little bit, and Ymir is probably at least as hardy also being a human titan. We don't have the best sense of time when reading manga, so it probably just wasn't long enough in his stomach to do any significant damage.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What is more interesting is to ask How Berthold managed to gear up while in Titan form.

We know that equipping 3D manuever gear takes a while. (See, recruits didn't have time to don theirs when the titans attacked.) So did Bert really take his time after impact to suit up? Surrounded by temporarily stunned Scouts? That is quite a big big gamble if he did. All it takes is one scout to not be stunned.

So did he do it inside his own titan body? The colossal titan is huge. Could he seperate completely or partially to go grab the 3d gear from inside himself and equip it before dropping down?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Affi posted:

What is more interesting is to ask How Berthold managed to gear up while in Titan form.

We know that equipping 3D manuever gear takes a while. (See, recruits didn't have time to don theirs when the titans attacked.) So did Bert really take his time after impact to suit up? Surrounded by temporarily stunned Scouts? That is quite a big big gamble if he did. All it takes is one scout to not be stunned.

So did he do it inside his own titan body? The colossal titan is huge. Could he seperate completely or partially to go grab the 3d gear from inside himself and equip it before dropping down?

My guess is that this is one of those things where you have to suspend disbelief and just assume that he was able to gear up really fast.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Maybe he only equipped the grappling hook shooting part and not the whole thing. But I like the idea of him detaching and crawling around the inside of the Titan husk.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

For Ymir to have attacked them after they came inside, they would have had to come in, established a base camp village inside the farmland section of the walls, then somehow snuck into the next closest city and join up with the military. I guess it's possible they could have come in during the confusion of Operation "gently caress that section of the population" or pretending to be lost kids found by a group of scouts, but then they'd have to field the questions of how they managed to survive titan infested land as children. It just doesn't make as much sense.

The land between the first and second wall is huge and the evacuation was hardly well planned. It should have taken a lot of time until scattered groups of refugees stopped arriving at the inner gates. And with village do you mean the story Berthold tells about the titans arriving in their home village? That might have been entirely unrelated to Ymir or it have happened while they were resting in a farm building on their track to the inner walls.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hopefully we get some good exposition on what happened between Reiner, Bert and Ymir. And who the person that got killed was. Maybe Ymir is that person. She did say "I died and now i'm free" or something like that. Right?

Ytlaya posted:

My guess is that this is one of those things where you have to suspend disbelief and just assume that he was able to gear up really fast.

I just like the idea that Bert can put his colossal titan in standby steam production mode and go hang out somewhere else.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Maybe he only equipped the grappling hook shooting part and not the whole thing. But I like the idea of him detaching and crawling around the inside of the Titan husk.

True, he just needs it to.. actually he doesn't need it at all. Armored titan can just pick him up and Ymir up anyway.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
He needs it to break the fall. If he hadn't used it, Reiner would still be recovering from the body press (he withstood it, but that doesn't mean he shrugged it off), and Bert and Ymir would have gone crashing to the ground. Hell, even being caught by Reiner would probably kill them both with the impact.

Also, I agree that it's hilarious that Bert of all people is the iconic image associated with AoT. Yes, it's as the Colossal Titan, but it's still funny that when people think AoT, they think Bert.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Attack on Titan: Bert and Ernie in Germany

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

genericnick posted:

The land between the first and second wall is huge and the evacuation was hardly well planned. It should have taken a lot of time until scattered groups of refugees stopped arriving at the inner gates. And with village do you mean the story Berthold tells about the titans arriving in their home village? That might have been entirely unrelated to Ymir or it have happened while they were resting in a farm building on their track to the inner walls.

They only way I can see Bert and Reiner being scattered during the evacuation is if they were part of the evacuating farmland people, which makes no sense, or if the large groups from the cities themselves broke apart on the way to inside Sina. Because everyone from one city is leaving from the same door and the people in charge of the evacuation presumably know how to get to the next closest city, that makes even less sense unless the evacuation is so haphazard that their instructions for getting to safety were, "Go that general direction and you'll get there probably." They were probably just told to follow the road, but that would keep them together.

With "village," I was originally going to say "base camp," but I wanted to remember Berthold mentioning something about being attack in their village. I was probably just mixing what you said with Ymir.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Shadow0 posted:

Their age is interesting to think about - are all the 104th division supposed to be the same age - do people enroll in the military at a certain age? They didn't seem like it, but maybe. If so, then all the shape-shifter titans are the same age - ie, made at the same time.

This prompted me to do a very stupid picture:

Eren stop almost looking like Kamiyama, jesus.

(also, couldn't decide on who would be funnier as Kamiyama between Bert and Eren and so many characters could have filled different roles)

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 29, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zeikier posted:

(also, couldn't decide on who would be funnier as Kamiyama between Bert and Eren and so many characters could have filled different roles)
Well, now you know what needs to come next: Freddy Titan.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zeikier posted:

You're the best.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeikier posted:

I really wish this could go in the OP but it's too spoilery. It's so good. So good.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Zeikier posted:

I can't wait for the story where Eren buys the guide to looking like a tough guy so he'll fit in better with the other titans.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Maybe Ymir's attack on Reiner and Bert's village is what prompted them to attack humanity beyond the walls. They assumed what Ymir did was what those behind the walls desired for some reason.

Then they see Ymir change at the castle, and realize they have found what they are looking for. This could be the realization they had on top of the wall. They need only take those that can transform back with them to be done with the whole ordeal. So they grab up Eren and Ymir and book it back home.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zeikier posted:

Mechazawa Titan?

Ytlaya posted:

I thought they said the steam prevented them from approaching for a few hours even. They should have surrounded them though.

Ytlaya posted:

He was tilting his head back though, so it seemed like he gulped them down.

I guess I can understand Ymir being able to cope with the stomach acid for such a short time, if that's what happened.

I thought they had said that the titan's didn't have a functioning stomach. Hence why they regurgitate the bodies instead. Presumably you could live in the stomach?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I thought they had said that the titan's didn't have a functioning stomach. Hence why they regurgitate the bodies instead. Presumably you could live in the stomach?

Normal titans do have stomach acid, we get a POV from Eren mid-flashback to his first transformation inside a stomach and slowly melting, and the piles of corpses thrown up by full titans are mostly dissolved. Who knows what the gently caress is going on inside any of the human titans, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Affi posted:

UGH. This Manga.

Enjoying trading your one week anime cliffhangers for new one month manga cliffhangers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Affi posted:

UGH. This Manga.

If you look at the last episode, both Reiner and Bert were very relieved she didn't get hurt. The precious lil' flower... that grows into a mad she-hulk when she gets hurt.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVIR Gibson posted:

If you look at the last episode, both Reiner and Bert were very relieved she didn't get hurt. The precious lil' flower... that grows into a mad she-hulk when she gets hurt.

I think they were relieved that she didn't get hurt not so much because they were concerned for her well-being, but more because if she had gotten hurt, the steam produced by her Titan-regeneration abilities will expose the fact that she's a Titan.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

JosephWongKS posted:

I think they were relieved that she didn't get hurt not so much because they were concerned for her well-being, but more because if she had gotten hurt, the steam produced by her Titan-regeneration abilities will expose the fact that she's a Titan.

As Reiner shows later by speedhealing his broken arm and yanking off the cast (and Annie shows herself by healing the one eye in Titan form) they have the ability to suppress/control their regeneration as they choose so they don't have to be too paranoid about suffering injuries.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mio Bison posted:

As Reiner shows later by speedhealing his broken arm and yanking off the cast (and Annie shows herself by healing the one eye in Titan form) they have the ability to suppress/control their regeneration as they choose so they don't have to be too paranoid about suffering injuries.

Isn't there at least a couple times that Eren heals without him or anyone else immediately noticing it? I'd assume if he was steaming up in the process, someone would have said something.

I need to get back to my rereading.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zeikier posted:

I feel like this is a reference to something I have missed / not seen? Is it?

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
It's a crossover with Cromartie High school.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Breaky posted:

I feel like this is a reference to something I have missed / not seen? Is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9R-XnHAhY

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

JosephWongKS posted:

The cat would be out of the bag no matter what.

The large, disfigured, giant cat

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is one of the best series I have watched, then caved in and read, in a long, long time.

Did anyone think it was super creepy in Connie's village when there was that Titan he said looked like his mother? Something about the way it was deformed and couldn't move, and the fact it welcomed him back was just really eerie to me. The fact that his entire village were most likely "titanised" too probably added to it, with him naively not understanding what had gone on and that most likely IS his mother.

spud fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 29, 2013

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Pretty sure in the flashback Ymir ate a kid who was the same age as Reiner and Berthold. The kid distracted Ymir so the other two could get away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just reading over the recent chapters, and that beast titan has some pretty great aim. He manages to hit that tower and the house stable from like a kilometer away on top of the wall during nighttime.

He should play titan baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, now you know what needs to come next: Freddy Titan.

There he is!

Freddy!

Shadow0 posted:

Mechazawa Titan?

This inspired something more than just Mechazawa Titan, but it could have come out a lot better.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 30, 2013