Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MediumWellDone posted:

The SFC wasn't included, so I think this is the first piece of useless hardware I've bought. It came with a cable (not the L-bracket) to output the Statellaview's power to the SFC, but no box, instructions, accessories or most(?) importantly power cable. I don't even know if it would be worth it trying to power it on?
What do I do with this?
Why did I buy it?
:retrogames: :cry: :retrogames:

Where'd you buy it?

I built a little Nintendo corner in my bedroom complete with Shampoo Mario, SNES and SFC with a bunch of games:

Somehow my Super Scope doesn't function anymore. The IR receiver is plugged in and I tried Super Scope 6 but pressing fire just doesn't cause anything to happen ingame, are there any common Super Scope problems that you guys know about that I might be able to look at?

Also, frustratingly, I lost the rubber eyehole thing on the Scope's scope, if that makes sense. It just seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

Next time I'm in Tokyo I'll try to find some more Satellaview games, I currently have the immensely boring Derby Stallion and Same Game but there must be a few cool ones out there.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Shibawanko posted:

Somehow my Super Scope doesn't function anymore. The IR receiver is plugged in and I tried Super Scope 6 but pressing fire just doesn't cause anything to happen ingame, are there any common Super Scope problems that you guys know about that I might be able to look at?
Are you trying to use a lightgun on the CRT in the picture? That's a progressive set and lightguns won't work on it.

^^^^^^^
Awesome 16:9 CRT there. I bought a new 30" 16:9 Trinitron back in '05 but sold it to buy my first plasma. Always regretted it, never going to part with a CRT again.

That's a progressive set, I'm sure, so I wouldn't run old 240p games on it myself, but that's the ultimate way to play F-Zero GX... which sadly I can't currently do.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Unrelated, I got my Turbo Everdrive today and a good portion of the ROMs are not working on it? If I flip the switch that's in my modded Duo-R one way I get a completely white screen. If I flip it the other way, I get a screen, but a good half of the ROMs will not work. None of the Bonk's Adventure games work. They are all in .PCE format, and I updated to the newest OS. Please don't tell me I need to ship this thing back to Russia?
I don't know nothin about dirty flash carts, but the white screen means your PCE is set to a region that the inserted cart isn't. I'd bet the flash cart only works in Japanese mode.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 28, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Shibawanko posted:

Did you put new batteries in the super scope?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yep! Two different sets but no dice, I do remember it functioned last time I used it (like 15 years ago obviously). Maybe it's the receiver...

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

^^^^^^
Or because it's a progressive CRT

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Unrelated, I got my Turbo Everdrive today and a good portion of the ROMs are not working on it? If I flip the switch that's in my modded Duo-R one way I get a completely white screen. If I flip it the other way, I get a screen, but a good half of the ROMs will not work. None of the Bonk's Adventure games work. They are all in .PCE format, and I updated to the newest OS. Please don't tell me I need to ship this thing back to Russia?

The switch thing is normal; the "region lock" on the PC Engine and TG-16 are accomplished by having different pinouts on the HuCards. The Turbo Everdrive also has a switch for this, so you basically just have to make them both match (might as well make them both Japanese so if you use an Arcade card you don't have to mess with switches anymore).

As for the ROMs themselves I used the Good set for my DAT. I haven't exhaustively tested but the few games I've played so far have all worked. Run them through my DAT and report back, if there are ROMs that don't work with it I'll update the DAT.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

^^^^^^
Or because it's a progressive CRT

It might be the TV yeah, it's 100hz too I think so maybe I should just try it on a different CRT.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Copper Vein posted:

I don't know nothin about dirty flash carts, but the white screen means your PCE is set to a region that the inserted cart isn't. I'd bet the flash cart only works in Japanese mode.

The Turbo Everdrive has a region switch on it, as do doujindance's modded systems. So, really, it's just a matter of making sure the settings match up.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
drat you people. I just signed up for a brand new expensive hobby because of this thread. I just got a SNES mini from eBay to relive my youth.

I'm considering RGB modding it, but the eBayer who sells the recommended SCART cable & adapter is on vacation until mid-July. If I do mod it for RGB, will it still output plain old composite AV from the multiport?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

plasticbugs posted:

drat you people. I just got a SNES mini from eBay to relive my youth. I'm considering RGB modding it, but the eBayer who sells the recommended SCART cable & adapter is on vacation until mid-July. If I do mod it for RGB, will it still output plain old composite AV from the multiport?

I believe so, the mod just reenables the pins the RGB signals use to my recollection, check the pinouts on GameSX/Mmmonkey

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 29, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kreeblah posted:

The Turbo Everdrive has a region switch on it, as do doujindance's modded systems. So, really, it's just a matter of making sure the settings match up.

I'm not sure which ROM set you have, but it's possible some (or all) of the US region files are bitswapped and the Everdrive is sending them as-is. You can try using uCON64 with the -pce -swap options on a game that isn't working and see if that solves the problem. Make sure the switches on both the Turbo-ED and the Duo-R are set to PCE mode to simplify things.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Quidnose posted:

I know I'm late to the party but holy poo poo that Bioforce Ape video on Lost Levels...that game looks amazing :v:

It kind of is! It's pretty early, I'd like to see what the final game would be like.

Does anyone wanna buy the prototype cartridge for the $2k I paid for it? Anyone??

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
If I were rich I would totally do it. But I'm not rich.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

Does anyone wanna buy the prototype cartridge for the $2k I paid for it? Anyone??

No. Unless those are Zimbabwe dollars. Then maybe.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
The Satellaview only cost 3000 yen at small sized retro shop in Osu, Nagoya. I looked up after checking through a box of cables and was shocked to see it. It was the first time in 5 years of looking at retro goods in Japan that I'd seen one. At that price I could resist, but I have no idea about what it could be used for apart from a display stand for the SFC.

The shop itself is pretty cool. Cramped and more than half the space is taken up by old DVDs and CDs. It has the best selection of games and hardware I have seen in Nagoya. The only signs I've seen for it just have Famicom written in katakana and information about how they offer a Famicom repair service. So even though Google maps make me believe its called Kハウス(K House), I'll always think of it as the Famicom shop.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Here's the latest cool thing I picked up:

An original first print of The Secret of Monkey Island. This is from the very first batch, it's the 16-color EGA version. Includes all of the paperwork, etc., it's all in stupid nice shape.

This was a good night.

If you like this game but haven't played the 16-color version, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's how the game was designed, all of the art was made with this limitation in mind. Plus all of the character close-ups are way different than the ones you know, and were drawn by Steve "Sam & Max" Purcell.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember I got that copy of The Adventurer in a c64 copy of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade action game.

It was better than it had any right to be.

Edit: This has given me an idea. I'm going to see if I can find something...

Edit 2: I just found the most amazing thing in my closet of forgotten games....

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 29, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Edit 2: I just found the most amazing thing in my closet of forgotten games....

I'll give you $30.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

I'll give you $30.

You might want to take that offer back.

I went in looking for old game catalogs and in house magazines. Then I saw a Chinese copy of King's Quest V that I found in the most unlikely of places a couple of years ago and bought mainly to have something that oddball. So when I saw it, I thought, "Hey, I bet there's a Chinese catalog in there!" and opened it for the first time since I bought the game. Check this out:

The Chinese publisher used the disk sleeves as advertisements! Those aren't all Sierra games, either. Sentinel Worlds I was published by EA (and despite the "I" in the title, there was no "II"). Broderbund and Tengen are obvious. I don't know what the Winter's Demon game is.

The cassette seems like some kind of Chinese tie in to KQ5. I don't remember anything like that in the US version, but the only copies I ever owned were on CD and after the fact. I acquired my first copy other ways. :pirate: At the time in the US, a few publishers were trying out audio dramas with their games so it seems likely that this is along those same lines. I don't speak a lick of Chinese, though so I have no way of knowing what they're saying.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

The switch thing is normal; the "region lock" on the PC Engine and TG-16 are accomplished by having different pinouts on the HuCards. The Turbo Everdrive also has a switch for this, so you basically just have to make them both match (might as well make them both Japanese so if you use an Arcade card you don't have to mess with switches anymore).

As for the ROMs themselves I used the Good set for my DAT. I haven't exhaustively tested but the few games I've played so far have all worked. Run them through my DAT and report back, if there are ROMs that don't work with it I'll update the DAT.

parasyte posted:

I'm not sure which ROM set you have, but it's possible some (or all) of the US region files are bitswapped and the Everdrive is sending them as-is. You can try using uCON64 with the -pce -swap options on a game that isn't working and see if that solves the problem. Make sure the switches on both the Turbo-ED and the Duo-R are set to PCE mode to simplify things.

Thank you both (and flyboi). It turns out I just had a bad ROM set. The GoodROM set worked just fine. I guess this is one finicky flash cart, but I can live with that.

I checked out Adventure Island, and it's Wonder Boy. What a confusing cluserfuck that whole thing is.

MediumWellDone posted:

The Satellaview only cost 3000 yen at small sized retro shop in Osu, Nagoya. I looked up after checking through a box of cables and was shocked to see it. It was the first time in 5 years of looking at retro goods in Japan that I'd seen one. At that price I could resist, but I have no idea about what it could be used for apart from a display stand for the SFC.

I know it's useless; I personally am dying for a Satellaview because it looks fantastic and if I ever hit the lotto I'm going to rebuild the infrastructure to make it A Thing again. Failing that, I can Dremel a CD drive in there and make believe the SNES CD existed.

Also unrelated univbee owns; just sayin'.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
So Vintage Stock didn't yield much this weekend, other than stuff I was putting off getting, mostly.

HOWEVER, the nice mailman dropped off something from Ye Olde Nippon.

Does it work? After a bit of TLC on the contacts...

(not my cab, but still)

TheRedEye posted:

This was a good night.

The fanciest night.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I know it's useless; I personally am dying for a Satellaview because it looks fantastic and if I ever hit the lotto I'm going to rebuild the infrastructure to make it A Thing again.

Holy poo poo that would be amazing. Give it the ability to connect to modern internet connections, sell a cart with a MSU-1, and stream all your SNES games. Make it like Hulu for your games, or like GameTap that doesn't suck.

I'd buy a subscription

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

You might want to take that offer back.

I went in looking for old game catalogs and in house magazines. Then I saw a Chinese copy of King's Quest V that I found in the most unlikely of places a couple of years ago and bought mainly to have something that oddball. So when I saw it, I thought, "Hey, I bet there's a Chinese catalog in there!" and opened it for the first time since I bought the game. Check this out:

The Chinese publisher used the disk sleeves as advertisements! Those aren't all Sierra games, either. Sentinel Worlds I was published by EA (and despite the "I" in the title, there was no "II"). Broderbund and Tengen are obvious. I don't know what the Winter's Demon game is.

The cassette seems like some kind of Chinese tie in to KQ5. I don't remember anything like that in the US version, but the only copies I ever owned were on CD and after the fact. I acquired my first copy other ways. :pirate: At the time in the US, a few publishers were trying out audio dramas with their games so it seems likely that this is along those same lines. I don't speak a lick of Chinese, though so I have no way of knowing what they're saying.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Chinese bootlegs extended to DOS Sierra Adventure games! What language is your KQ5 in?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo that would be amazing. Give it the ability to connect to modern internet connections, sell a cart with a MSU-1, and stream all your SNES games. Make it like Hulu for your games, or like GameTap that doesn't suck.

I'd buy a subscription

Well to be honest, people involved in the SD2SNES are literally trying to bring the Satellaview thing back again. :unsmith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Chinese bootlegs extended to DOS Sierra Adventure games! What language is your KQ5 in?

I don't have a 5.25 disk drive to check it with, but the labels, manual, and box are all Chinese, so I'm assuming it's Chinese as well. It looks like an official version with the publisher as "Soft World". Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a pirated copy, but I'm used to pirates cutting more corners than this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't have a 5.25 disk drive to check it with, but the labels, manual, and box are all Chinese, so I'm assuming it's Chinese as well. It looks like an official version with the publisher as "Soft World". Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a pirated copy, but I'm used to pirates cutting more corners than this.

I think I still have a 5.25 drive somewhere if you want me to dump the contents.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

An original first print of The Secret of Monkey Island. This is from the very first batch, it's the 16-color EGA version. Includes all of the paperwork, etc., it's all in stupid nice shape.

This was a good night.

If you like this game but haven't played the 16-color version, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's how the game was designed, all of the art was made with this limitation in mind. Plus all of the character close-ups are way different than the ones you know, and were drawn by Steve "Sam & Max" Purcell.

I hope you didn't pay more than $20 for this.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

al-azad posted:

I hope you didn't pay more than $20 for this.

Well the scotch alone is more than that!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
A bunch of fighting game backgrounds in .gif form.

Mostly KoF and other SNK games it seems, with a smattering of SF Alpha and a few other Capcom games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

A bunch of fighting game backgrounds in .gif form.

Mostly KoF and other SNK games it seems, with a smattering of SF Alpha and a few other Capcom games.

Oh hey this is gorgeous.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Specifically the computer game.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Quidnose posted:

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Heran Bago posted:

Oh hey this is gorgeous.

What game is this one from?

Edit: I'm slightly disappointed the desert highway one from Art of Fighting 3 wasn't among them. The one with the utterly baffling road sign showing the distance to "Nmbos" and "Aeedles."

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 29, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

What game is this one from?

Edit: I'm slightly disappointed the desert highway one from Art of Fighting 3 wasn't among them. The one with the utterly baffling road sign showing the distance to "Nmbos" and "Aeedles."

Samurai Spirits V, I think.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

TheRedEye posted:

If there's one thing I'll miss about the old DOS/early Windows days, it's definitely the old methods of copy protection that involved looking in the manual for a certain word in certain paragraph in a certain page or using some wheel to fit two parts of the code together. They were always kinda neat IMO (until you lose the manual and/or code wheel, then you're boned).

Here's a really good video that goes into the history of copy protection. I always find it really weird that even before the days of the internet and DRM, copy protection was a big deal. But, now it's more of an issue people who bought the game being forced to stay online while they play than the developers/publishers losing money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEbpMgiL7U

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Went to dick around with Ultima Quest of the Avatar for the NES. Decided to load up the old save games:

This is the best part of retro games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HKR posted:

Went to dick around with Ultima Quest of the Avatar for the NES. Decided to load up the old save games:

There's nothing like firing up an old RPG and finding a party made up of "poo poo" "FART" "PISS" and "FAGG".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HKR posted:

Yes. That is the correct name, Avatar!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's nothing like firing up an old RPG and finding a party made up of "poo poo" "FART" "PISS" and "FAGG".

My copy of Link to the Past still has my old save where I named Link "BURP!" It was a real laugh riot.

Online multiplayer has ruined this. I got annoyed at Pokemon Black 2 earlier today when it wouldn't let me name my Mareep "Dick." I was making a literary reference and not just looking for any excuse to use a profane name, Nintendo. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rollersnake posted:

Online multiplayer has ruined this. I got annoyed at Pokemon Black 2 earlier today when it wouldn't let me name my Mareep "Dick." I was making a literary reference and not just looking for any excuse to use a profane name, Nintendo. :argh:

Nintendo's censor list is pretty stupid. So are Sega's (for PSU/PSO2 anyway). At one point "bacon" was a censored word in White Knight Chronicles, too.

On the other hand, you can call your Mareep "PhilK" and still get by.

• Locked thread