Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm looking for an addon that will help cut down on browsing random stuff and procrastinating. I'd like to basically have it so you can browse for an hour or two on any site and then it will lock it so you can only browse the sites that are whitelisted. LeechBlock works the other way around where you list the sites you want blocked and when to do so. I was hoping I could just use LeechBlock and tell it to block all sites with a wildcard but there doesn't appear to be a whitelist option to keep certain sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RGX posted:

Still got my stupid loving problem. Switched over to the HTML 5 trial, which essentially broke my player and caused videos to stop loading. Youtube is by far the worst, problem is it's where I watch a lot of my content. As far as I can tell it's a Firefox problem, my computer runs AAA games and plays other HD content with no problem at all. I've run anti-malware scanners, anti-virus programs, everything's clean as a whistle.

Anything else I can try?
I know it's not the best help, but I've long given up on FF and Youtube, they just suck together. Chrome is pretty much made for Youtube, so I use that for all kinds of video watching.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
The Windows Media Player-plugin stopped working for me. I keep removing and re-installing it, but nothing happens. So... it's broken?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried going into Firefox safe mode, and that seems to fix Youtube favoriting/rating/etc, but manually disabling all addons afterward to try it that way didn't work. What would be causing my Youtube issues, if disabling all addons manually didn't fix it, but FF safe mode did?

Is there a safe way to revert to an older version of Firefox quickly without screwing up tabs and such?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

So I just installed firefox on a new 64bit win7 install, imported settings successfully, everything seems to be working just as well as on my old 32bit install. Except that for some reason, opening one of my gmail accounts freezes the whole browser & forces me to kill the process.

This happens in safe mode, too. It seems to be related to the chats/hangouts sidebar, because the page loads fine but then crashes while loading the sidebar. Only my gmail account that's under a different domain has this problem; my other account, a regular @gmail.com account, loads without issue. I'm able to pull up the problem account in IE just fine, also. Anyone else encounter this recently?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Captain Invictus posted:

I tried going into Firefox safe mode, and that seems to fix Youtube favoriting/rating/etc, but manually disabling all addons afterward to try it that way didn't work. What would be causing my Youtube issues, if disabling all addons manually didn't fix it, but FF safe mode did?

Is there a safe way to revert to an older version of Firefox quickly without screwing up tabs and such?

You could try the addon ecleaner, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ecleaner/ and delete any old junk that past addons left behind that you don't use anymore, sometimes they leave settings/configs that never go away even after you've uninstalled them, which can cause problems.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The crashing appears to be happening on youtube pages now, too. I can play embedded youtubes, but going to the page of an actual video causes a freeze. Weird. Clearing cache & cookies doesn't seem to help.

edit: I'm using 21.0, if that helps

EDIT AGAIN: looks like i just needed to update flash

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 28, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

midnightclimax posted:

The Windows Media Player-plugin stopped working for me. I keep removing and re-installing it, but nothing happens. So... it's broken?

Ok, found the solution

quote:

Go into about :config and change plugins.load_appdir_plugins from false to true. Apparently FF21 sets this value to false by default causing it to not detect plug-ins installed in this manner.

https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/955703

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How can I stop Firefox from putting up this "Sync has not been able to complete" message at the bottom of the browser window without disabling Sync completely? It keeps doing it every 10 minutes or so and I really don't need to be informed about this constantly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And now Youtube inexplicably works but Facebook doesn't without me doing a thing. It won't let me make new posts; but it will let me comment on things.

Firefox is the Skate 3 of browsers, works great most of the time and there's lots you can do, but when it messes up, it does so in the weirdest loving ways. Or it just outright breaks.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Firefox is the Skate 3 of browsers, works great most of the time and there's lots you can do, but when it messes up, it does so in the weirdest loving ways. Or it just outright breaks.
Skate 3's physics is broken for everyone. It seems like only some people continuously have Firefox problems.

What do you think, HAL 9000?
: It's probably the machine's fault, Dave.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah, in maybe the last 7 years I've maybe had one problem with Firefox ever, and it was caused by... surprise surprise an addon, the problem is people install these huge fuckoff lists of 30 addons and then when something break they have no clue whats causing it, then they blame Firefox for the problems and go back to Chrome. I guess Mozilla just needs to come up with a better way of being able to diagnose problems with addons, or just curate their poo poo hardcore after every patch. Heck one of the most popular addon combo is Better Privacy and AdBlcoker Plus, unfortunately those two addons have been clashing against each other for over a year and I bet literally no one knows of it, just because they don't see anything wrong on there end, and yet they probably have a folder they don't know about reaching 1 GB in size and climbing. It's always addons guys, 99% of the time.

Anyway to solve problems, update your drivers, update your flash, update that fuckoff list of addons, and if still bugged reset Firefox to its default state.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
That's weird. I've been using Adblock Plus and Better Privacy and my profile directory is only 254 MB (143 I could just delete from the cache folder). And it's not new. I've been dragging the same profile around for years through a lot of versions of Firefox and a lot of add-ons. Firefox is an unstoppable tank against my abuse.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, in maybe the last 7 years I've maybe had one problem with Firefox ever
I still love FF compared to the competition, but over the past 5+ years I have had numerous problems, such as frequent slowdowns, memory hogging, GUI lagging (in fact my FF is freezing for a split second a few per times per minute as I'm writing this - an age old bug that rears its head now and then), flash performance problems to hell and back, and more. A "professionally" developed and tested browser like IE has definitely been more stable, although of course also at the cost of being hopelessly behind in terms of features and customization. It's the price you have to pay for open source and frequent releases, it seems.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hogburto posted:

That's weird. I've been using Adblock Plus and Better Privacy and my profile directory is only 254 MB (143 I could just delete from the cache folder). And it's not new. I've been dragging the same profile around for years through a lot of versions of Firefox and a lot of add-ons. Firefox is an unstoppable tank against my abuse.

It does depend on configuration I've found, but just out of curiosity this is what my adblockplus folder looks like (aka normal) but what happens commonly with a lot of people is that every time they close Firefox, a new 1MB~ size patterns file gets created and over time there can be as many as 10,000 of them, its a bug but most people don't notice. So people with Adblock Plus + Better Privacy in Firefox type about :support and go to your Profile Folder and check whats in the adblcokplus folder, I kinda want to hear just how large some of your guys folder size is.

Also with 15 addons my self my profile is only 32MB's total, yours sitting at 254 MB seems really large to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hogburto posted:

Skate 3's physics is broken for everyone. It seems like only some people continuously have Firefox problems.

What do you think, HAL 9000?
: It's probably the machine's fault, Dave.

Firefox has worked perfectly fine for me until this latest update apart from flash being a huge steaming pile of memory-vacuuming poo poo that likes to lock Firefox up for half a minute at a time before the flash player crashes and the occasional random total crash, and disabling all my addons didn't fix the problem(which I mentioned), only booting Firefox up in "safe mode" fixed it.

Anyways, now everything works, so back to normal I guess. And thanks for the Adblock Plus tip mister Special, there was 8 of those duplicate files in there. :)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Im_Special posted:

It does depend on configuration I've found, but just out of curiosity this is what my adblockplus folder looks like (aka normal) but what happens commonly with a lot of people is that every time they close Firefox, a new 1MB~ size patterns file gets created and over time there can be as many as 10,000 of them, its a bug but most people don't notice. So people with Adblock Plus + Better Privacy in Firefox type about :support and go to your Profile Folder and check whats in the adblcokplus folder, I kinda want to hear just how large some of your guys folder size is.

Also with 15 addons my self my profile is only 32MB's total, yours sitting at 254 MB seems really large to me.
I only have 5 of those Adblock files and they're all dated within the last 4 days. It seems I have a properly-imposed limit set in my profile somewhere, but that might have been a manual configuration.
After deleting the cache and vacuuming my sqlite files, I'm at 101 MB with 38 enabled add-ons. Nearly half of that is my urlclassifier3.sqlite file, alone, with places.sqlite behind it. Like I said, it's an older profile, and it's history goes back a long ways. I like being able to pull up an article I read 2 or 3 years ago by typing in a half-remembered keyword or URL.
Occasionally, I prune disinteresting and redundant pages from the history, but I'm in no hurry to shrink my profile directory.
Everything is in order.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm not talking about the patterns-backup1-5 I think up to five is normal there, but the other patterns file can end up duplicating it's self up to insane numbers like 10,000 plus, if you only have a few files then there is nothing to worry about, just saying it's quite a common problem for lots of people and they just don't know about it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Drevoak posted:

I'm looking for an addon that will help cut down on browsing random stuff and procrastinating. I'd like to basically have it so you can browse for an hour or two on any site and then it will lock it so you can only browse the sites that are whitelisted. LeechBlock works the other way around where you list the sites you want blocked and when to do so. I was hoping I could just use LeechBlock and tell it to block all sites with a wildcard but there doesn't appear to be a whitelist option to keep certain sites.

There is a whitelist option, just put a "+" before the URL in the sites to block list.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I don't know where to post this since this is more SA-related, but it only happens on FF.

Ever since yesterday, I can't log in to SA on firefox. I was browsing randomly and suddenly I was logged out. When I log in, it simply brings up the forum index with me logged out.

I've cleared cookies, cache, tried safe mode (with no addons), rebooted, nothing works. Anyone have any clue what might be going on? Every other site works just fine.

Posting from IE right now (ugh).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Shut down the browser, rename your cookies.sqlite file, relaunch the browser, log back in. That kind of problem is usually due to a corrupted cookies database preventing new cookies for a site from being saved successfully.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alereon posted:

Shut down the browser, rename your cookies.sqlite file, relaunch the browser, log back in. That kind of problem is usually due to a corrupted cookies database preventing new cookies for a site from being saved successfully.

Have tried so, makes no difference :(

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Daynab posted:

Have tried so, makes no difference :(
Any non-Microsoft security software installed? Anything that has a component running in the background could cause this. If not, try a completely clean profile, and that would be the last of my ideas.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alereon posted:

Any non-Microsoft security software installed? Anything that has a component running in the background could cause this. If not, try a completely clean profile, and that would be the last of my ideas.

Looks like I had to create an entirely new profile, strangely, even if I used utilities that backup the profile but didn't select cookies and such, it still didn't work.

Then again, my profile is probably like 3-4 years old, so it can't hurt.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Different question, but how do I get Personas Rotator to actually rotate from random personas I haven't selected? It keeps saying to go to the options, but I don't see any way to access those. I can only select from favorites in the Personas Plus options?

edit: I do not get this menu where it shows all then a number. I assume that's what would be required for it to work. Every other option is there.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 30, 2013

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
I apologize if this turns out to not be a browser issue but I'm having a problem with getting Firefox to play any HTML5 audio; I can't hear Vines, can't hear Google Music player if HTML5 is enabled; can't play most Soundcloud songs etc. Chrome and IE both will play all of these. I looked at the Playback menu while playing a song on Soundcloud and see the audio seems to be getting sent to an SPDIF output I am not using:

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find including completely reinstalling Firefox with no extensions installed whatsoever and it still does it. Just curious what this might be. This is on Windows 8 64 with Firefox 22.

Edit: VVV Forgot to mention, disabling those two outputs doesn't seem to have any effect.

velocityJE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 31, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Try disabling the output(s) you aren't using with the right-click menu, see if it redirects to the active output that's left.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

velocityJE posted:

I apologize if this turns out to not be a browser issue but I'm having a problem with getting Firefox to play any HTML5 audio; I can't hear Vines, can't hear Google Music player if HTML5 is enabled; can't play most Soundcloud songs etc. Chrome and IE both will play all of these. I looked at the Playback menu while playing a song on Soundcloud and see the audio seems to be getting sent to an SPDIF output I am not using:
Weird, what I'm reading (though old) indicates that Firefox checks for the system default audio device on startup and then sends audio to that. You might try exiting Firefox, setting one of the other outputs as default, setting the default back to the intended device, then relaunching Firefox. Have you tried using Reset Firefox from about :support and/or using a completely fresh Firefox profile?

Also, is the same problem happening with Flash, or is it working correctly? They SHOULD be completely unrelated so I would expect that Flash would not be affected by whatever was causing this.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Could it be related to the new Windows Media Foundation support and the way your Windows Media Player is configured?

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Alereon posted:

Weird, what I'm reading (though old) indicates that Firefox checks for the system default audio device on startup and then sends audio to that. You might try exiting Firefox, setting one of the other outputs as default, setting the default back to the intended device, then relaunching Firefox. Have you tried using Reset Firefox from about :support and/or using a completely fresh Firefox profile?

Also, is the same problem happening with Flash, or is it working correctly? They SHOULD be completely unrelated so I would expect that Flash would not be affected by whatever was causing this.

I tried resetting, tried a new profile, and tried a fresh install from scratch altogether. Flash works fine. I've tried all manner of switching defaults and whatnot to no avail, Firefox won't send HTML5 audio to the right output. This is really puzzling.

Swilo posted:

Could it be related to the new Windows Media Foundation support and the way your Windows Media Player is configured?
I haven't messed with Windows Media Player or anything, I don't even use it. This just started happening when I loaded Firefox the other day.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

velocityJE posted:

So it turns out this is Bug 810739: Output device selection differs between libcubeb and libsydneyaudio on Windows. Long story short: The library simply selects a soundcard, not the (default) soundcard. This bug apparently only occurs on Windows 8 64-bit systems with Realtek chipsets for some reason. I would suggest uninstalling your SPDIF devices and/or disabling them in device manager, that should correct the issue. Also, register a bugzilla account and vote for that bug to increase its chances of getting fixed sooner.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Alereon posted:

Also, register a bugzilla account and vote for that bug to increase its chances of getting fixed sooner.

I'm fairly sure Mozilla developers pay little to no attention to votes, mostly because it's pretty difficult to tell when tons of people have found the bug independently or if it just got linked on Slashdot or something.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm fairly sure Mozilla developers pay little to no attention to votes, mostly because it's pretty difficult to tell when tons of people have found the bug independently or if it just got linked on Slashdot or something.
I think votes are ineffective for changing developers' minds, which is what Slashdot tries to use it for. Voting for bugs may still have value when you're hoping that particular bugs will be fixed sooner than others. There's 500+ Video/Audio bugs, most of them with no activity or votes (though Mozilla does periodically do mass triage on bugdays). That bug is actually NEW and not just UNCONFIRMED so there's a chance someone might actually work on it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

velocityJE posted:

can't hear Google Music player if HTML5 is enabled

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can't do this anyway; Firefox doesn't support HTML5 mp3 yet.

I guess if you uploaded Vorbis tracks via Linux but you probably didn't.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

fivre posted:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can't do this anyway; Firefox doesn't support HTML5 mp3 yet.
Support was added in Firefox 22.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A few months back I got good advice from this thread about using ad block plus too hide the "who to follow" section on twitter (which annoys me for some reason).

Randomly yesterday it just popped back up and I can't seem too get rid of it?

div, class:flex-module

div, class: module wtf-module, js-wtf-module has-content

I remember there being confusion between these two elements which are millimetres apart on screen. Any way, it doesn't seem to matter which I block I can't get rid of the "who to follow" box.

Any body have any ideas?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 29, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jippa posted:

A few months back I got good advice from this thread about using ad block plus too hide the "who to follow" section on twitter (which annoys me for some reason).

Randomly yesterday it just popped back up and I can't seem too get rid of it?

div, class:flex-module

div, class: module wtf-module, js-wtf-module has-content

I remember there being confusion between these two elements which are millimetres apart on screen. Any way, it doesn't seem to matter which I block I can't get rid of the "who to follow" box.

Any body have any ideas?

I use "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus" for such cases. It's made by the ABP guy, let's you select the exact part you want to block and generates a rule for you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that's what I'm using.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jippa posted:

Any body have any ideas?

twitter.com#div(js-wtf-module)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I've tried every thing. Entering it manually, using the tool to select etc.

It worked perfectly for months and then just stopped? I notice I'm getting ads and sponsored links on twitter as well. is this just a coincidence or were they previously being blocked and some thing changed?