Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Contact gave me flashbacks to the Motherfucking Apocalypse that was the Prime Time/Rollin' & Scratchin'/Brainwasher portion of Alive 2007, 40 feet from the stage at Vegoose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
After three weeks of somewhat listening, it seems I'm drawn to the Niles Rodgers/Pharrell tracks more than anything else, namely "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "Get Lucky." There isn't a bad track on the album, though I still somewhat cringe at the Paul Williams tracks because of his delivery. It's nothing less and nothing more than I would expect from Daft Punk. I'm glad they're "growing." I would rank their studio albums Discovery>Homework=Random Access Memories>>>Human After All. I think RAM has better songs than Homework, and even Discovery, but just doesn't flow like the others. My ten favorite Daft Punk songs would include two to three from Homework and RAM, and then about four from Discovery (and not the singles, I'm talking Fresh and There's Something About You stuff). Either way, I find it a very fun album that makes me want to dance and love intensely; AKA Daft Punk serves it's purpose as making an album that brings bodies together.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I really, really like the ending of Motherboard. Definitely wasn't expecting that sound on this album.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does anyone else get a nagging feeling listening to Lose Yourself To Dance that something is just "off"? It really bugs me for some reason.

At first I thought it felt like it was just a few BPM too slow and constantly trying to speed up but failing. Then I thought maybe its because the first part (before the "come on, come on"s) has almost nothing on the upbeats. I can't figure it out, but something about that song creates some kind of low-level dissonance in my head. :iiam:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does anyone else get a nagging feeling listening to Lose Yourself To Dance that something is just "off"? It really bugs me for some reason.

Yeah usually during the parts where Pharrell is singing about sweat I find myself really wishing that he weren't. Also the song could use one more layer I feel like but that probably isn't what you mean. Also the "Come on come on come on" pans back and forth between channels like some gimmicky stereo poo poo that the Beatles would do back when the format first came out.

It's still my favorite song from RAM. Dat funk riff.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Lose Yourself to Dance is a cool song but does seem a little off. I am curious to see how that song works on a crowd, possibly in remix form.

Really, I am just hella jealous of the people that got to jam out together at Wee Waa. Is that town basically in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere, Australia?

Its crazy how fresh Get Lucky stays to me. I should totally hate this song by now and I just don't.

Editedit: thinking of it again, i'm not sure there should be a visual for this album, because how could they possibly make a visual epic enough to accompany "Beyond"

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 29, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sweden seems to really like RAM: 3 album tracks have charted there (Give Life Back to Music, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance).

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
More than I can say than their brothers in the West then. Can only find "Get Lucky" on the charts here in Norway. :/

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I don't think this was posted in the thread yet. I still prefer the soul train ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSFKnldPQ8

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It's official:

Random Access Memories debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It finally dawned on me that Julian Casablancas is on Instant Crush, I always knew he collaborated on this but didn't pay attention to the tracks. Then I REALLY gave it a listen on the way to work today and its totally a track that could be off his solo album. You can even hear his original, unsampled voice if you listen carefully.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
RAM also has 5 of the top 10 songs on Spotify right now, including number 1.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I've really come around on "Touch" but I could still do without the first ~3 minutes. I think a lot of the songs have grown on me, even Fragments of Time (which I never would have guessed after the first few listens).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With touch I always skip the first 2 minutes or so, it's loving poo poo.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

slogsdon posted:

I really, really like the ending of Motherboard. Definitely wasn't expecting that sound on this album.
Did you not hear the TRON soundtrack?

Motherboard is basically Get Lucky (TRON Remix).

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So this album has convinced me to get a proper sound system and an LP player. But I won't have the $$$ until after summer, and i'm worrying about if the LP will run out of print before then? Should I get it right now just to be certain not to miss out?

Also, which Giorgio song is the one with the 'click' that he talks about.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 29, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yay! :neckbeard:

I guess people are digging it, then, despite all the haters in this thread.

Or they're buying it, at least...

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yay! :neckbeard:

I guess people are digging it, then, despite all the haters in this thread.

Or they're buying it, at least...
I think it's being received pretty well but it was being projected to debut at #1 solely on preorders before the stream was available, as I recall

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Even better news: "Get Lucky" has spiked up into the Top 5 on Billboard's Hot 100 this week, jumping from 10 to 4.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1565048/macklemore-ryan-lewis-still-atop-hot-100-zach-sobiech-debuts

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CRINDY posted:

Even better news: "Get Lucky" has spiked up into the Top 5 on Billboard's Hot 100 this week, jumping from 10 to 4.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1565048/macklemore-ryan-lewis-still-atop-hot-100-zach-sobiech-debuts

Wow, that's pretty incredible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The critics have been very positive with reviews all around. Ive been listening to the album a lot, read pretty much every review I could find, and still would peg it at around 7-7.5 on my personal scale (which i realize nobody gives a poo poo about; i am just surprised it is scoring such high marks all around).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm a casual fan, but I give it a solid 9, but a lot of the songs are hit and miss with me, but the ones that hit are like "holy poo poo this is the best song I've heard in 5 years" hit (Instant Crush).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Instant Crush certainly is better than anything we've heard from The Strokes in 5 years.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CRINDY posted:

CD-Rs with Get Lucky were given to CHRs on Random Access Memories' launch day, so it's not unexpected for Daft Punk to reach that high.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nasboat posted:

I've really come around on "Touch" but I could still do without the first ~3 minutes. I think a lot of the songs have grown on me, even Fragments of Time (which I never would have guessed after the first few listens).

Vintersorg posted:

With touch I always skip the first 2 minutes or so, it's loving poo poo.

The first part of Touch makes a lot more sense if you know its a reference to Phantom of the Paradise, which Paul Williams did the score for (and played a part in.)

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Bisse posted:

So this album has convinced me to get a proper sound system and an LP player. But I won't have the $$$ until after summer, and i'm worrying about if the LP will run out of print before then? Should I get it right now just to be certain not to miss out?

Also, which Giorgio song is the one with the 'click' that he talks about.

I really doubt it. Discovery is still in print on vinyl, after all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think it is safe to say that none of the Daft Punk albums will be OOP anytime soon, especially not Homework, Discovery, nor RAM

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

mr. stefan posted:

The first part of Touch makes a lot more sense if you know its a reference to Phantom of the Paradise, which Paul Williams did the score for (and played a part in.)

The part he played is the phantom, right? The scene where he has the mask on and is playing a bunch of synthesizers with a vocoder is the inspiration for the daft punk image, as far as I can tell.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mr. stefan posted:

Making sense and being a piece of music that doesn't make you want to rip your ears off are two very different things. I don't think context helps that song at all.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lechtansi posted:

The part he played is the phantom, right? The scene where he has the mask on and is playing a bunch of synthesizers with a vocoder is the inspiration for the daft punk image, as far as I can tell.

He sang the Phantom's parts, but mainly played Swan, the producer.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

mr. stefan posted:

Not really, no.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

There's already some amazing remixes floating around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5n5DWdNUMU

God. drat.

It's only going to get better too. RAM has some GREAT material to pull from, I cant wait to hear Daft Punks remix for this album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Meh, that was pretty boring. I totally agree with you on RAM having great material that will yield awesome remixes, but this isn't one of them.

The original actually felt like it had something to say. This doesn't.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah i'm already bored of it, but I do like some aspects of it. I'm really interested to see how people turn RAM into a club album.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I really kind of like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zhvNWVnEc

(says it's Daft Punk's version. It is not)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I haven't heard an Instant Crush remix that's better than the original, except the original one from the BBC set. They're all really boring or repetitive.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Actually, yeah, it does. It's a direct reference to the film, and the Daft Punk image and a lot of their ideas on the intersection between technology and humanity in regards to music come from de Palma's film.

It's an excellent movie, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

By the way, the Paul Williams vocal parts are the best parts of Touch. The build up at the beginning is powerful.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Powerful like someone's corny grandpa singing a ballad through his dentures.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Wario In Real Life posted:

Did you not hear the TRON soundtrack?

Motherboard is basically Get Lucky (TRON Remix).

I never watched TRON Legacy or listened to the soundtrack but I think I will now because those drums are tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

slogsdon posted:

I never watched TRON Legacy or listened to the soundtrack but I think I will now because those drums are tight.

Yeah, rectify this. Immediately.

(Hell, there's even a song on the TRON Legacy OST called "Rectifier". Though it's one of the least Daft Punk sounding tracks on the whole thing.)

• Locked thread