Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hi pen nerds! I picked up a Preppy a few weeks ago and this thing is the cat's meow. I've been trying to come up with reasons/excuses to write, since I have no real need to in my everyday life, but there's something fun about it when I get the opportunity.

I had a couple questions:

1. I really dig Diamine Epinard for its color. Are there any other solid green-black or olive-black inks out there that I should look at?
2. I saw Noodler mentioned a bunch and noticed that he has some weird poo poo on some of his bottles, eg Rome Burning. He's, uh, kind of a character, huh?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Meldonox posted:

2. I saw Noodler mentioned a bunch and noticed that he has some weird poo poo on some of his bottles, eg Rome Burning. He's, uh, kind of a character, huh?
Um have you ever watched any of his videos? The videos on the bernanke inks come to mind, but I haven't watched any of his stuff in a while

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Meldonox posted:

Nathan Tardif is an absolute lunatic who will voice his strong political opinions by making an ink about it. His bottles are some of the most schizophrenic things I've seen. Black Swan in Australian Roses even depicts mythological swan rape along side his trademark catfish.

Some of his inks are really nice, and there are a ton of different lines with unique properties such as freeze proof or blacklight reactive. The line of "bulletproof" inks are indelible when used on anything with cellulose fiber, but they can be kind of dull in colour and a little feathery on some paper. Totally get Noodler's inks if you find a colour or property that tickles your fancy, they're pretty cheap per mL as well!

The Forgers are going to steal your checks. Invest in gold. :tinfoil:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Meldonox posted:

1. I really dig Diamine Epinard for its color. Are there any other solid green-black or olive-black inks out there that I should look at?

Did you perhaps mean Sailor Epinard? My favourite green/black is Diamine's. One of the first inks I bought and still one of my favourites.

It's a shame you can't get Noodlers in the UK. I mean, the bloke sounds like a bit of a oval office, but he makes good inks so who cares?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Reivax posted:

the bloke sounds like a bit of a oval office
I think that's a bit much. He's just a little eccentric, not an 'in-your-face' kind of rear end in a top hat.
He's entertaining and while I may disagree with his politics he's at least very devoted to providing a good product and cares about his customers.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Reivax posted:

Did you perhaps mean Sailor Epinard? My favourite green/black is Diamine's. One of the first inks I bought and still one of my favourites.

It's a shame you can't get Noodlers in the UK. I mean, the bloke sounds like a bit of a oval office, but he makes good inks so who cares?

Eh, I think it's a pretty American thing to be hesitant to subsidize someone's brand of crazy unless you agree with it. For instance, the polarizing presentation on Rome Burning likely scared off some and made the product an instant purchase for others. I'm sure there are poorly photocopied handbills rambling on about the feds "TAKIN ARE FREEDOMS" originally penned in the stuff specifically because of what it says on the bottle. I'm guilty of letting my purchases be influenced by ideology to some extent myself--I avoid a fast food chain here that puts Bible verses on its packaging. Although I probably would avoid them anyway because it's unhealthy, the creepy religious packaging is the first thing that comes to mind when I decide I don't want to eat there. I might be able to make an exception in this case, though, because at least this guy seems to be passionate about creating a quality product and has some really cool ink to show for it.

As for the green ink, yeah, Sailor is what I meant. I'm not sure why I made that mistake. I probably looked at both and got them mixed up since both definitely catch my eye. I'd struggle to choose between the two since both are really nice. I suppose I need to keep working at coming up with a project to get me writing first so that I'm not just collecting pens and inks without ever using them.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Meldonox posted:

I avoid a fast food chain here that puts Bible verses on its packaging. Although I probably would avoid them anyway because it's unhealthy, the creepy religious packaging is the first thing that comes to mind when I decide I don't want to eat there.

you'd best not be talking about in-n-out :reject:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Meldonox posted:

Eh, I think it's a pretty American thing to be hesitant to subsidize someone's brand of crazy unless you agree with it. For instance, the polarizing presentation on Rome Burning likely scared off some and made the product an instant purchase for others. I'm sure there are poorly photocopied handbills rambling on about the feds "TAKIN ARE FREEDOMS" originally penned in the stuff specifically because of what it says on the bottle. I'm guilty of letting my purchases be influenced by ideology to some extent myself--I avoid a fast food chain here that puts Bible verses on its packaging. Although I probably would avoid them anyway because it's unhealthy, the creepy religious packaging is the first thing that comes to mind when I decide I don't want to eat there. I might be able to make an exception in this case, though, because at least this guy seems to be passionate about creating a quality product and has some really cool ink to show for it.

As for the green ink, yeah, Sailor is what I meant. I'm not sure why I made that mistake. I probably looked at both and got them mixed up since both definitely catch my eye. I'd struggle to choose between the two since both are really nice. I suppose I need to keep working at coming up with a project to get me writing first so that I'm not just collecting pens and inks without ever using them.

For all of his insane tea party ramblings, I imagine most internalise it a bit like Tom Cruise: horrid beliefs, but otherwise a nice guy and good at what he does (acting or ink making) and the crazy is overlooked.
That fast food place sounds fantastic though; it's one of those Americanisms I'll never be able to wrap my head around. A weird blend of nationalism and religion. Could make a line of waterproof inks with a 'these colours don't run' theme.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

404notfound posted:

you'd best not be talking about in-n-out :reject:

Nah, it's some place called Cook-Out. Only seems to be in a handful of Southern states. For what you pay it's actually pretty tasty and you get kind of a lot of food, but ugh, Bible verses on every last thing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Seriously, we're all on a forum that cost :10bux: to join in a subforum with a thread dedicated to our enjoyment of using writing instruments that have been out of fashion for 60 years or so discussing an INKMAKER of all things.

Regardless of his political leanings, I don't think Nathan's necessarily the odd duck here.

Wouldn't change a loving bit of it btw, just saying.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

The guy who makes Scribal Work Shop inks says his #1 purposes is no feathering on even the worst paper. The inks are very dry and kind of chalky, but I have the dark blue and the light blue, and both are great re feathering/bleeding.

They are also some of the cheapest inks in terms of $/ml.

I just bought Scribal Salamander and Lizard. Works great, so far. I haven't gotten much time to try them out at any length, but from the little writing I have done they don't seem to feather or bleed at all. Thanks!

quote:

Do you want an ink that is quick-drying as well?

Well, regardless of that, you should try Noodler's Lexington Gray. It seems to dry very quickly and without excessive feathering on cheap trade paperback pages.

This is the next ink on my list. I've been wanting a gray for awhile.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Reivax posted:

That fast food place sounds fantastic though; it's one of those Americanisms I'll never be able to wrap my head around. A weird blend of nationalism and religion. Could make a line of waterproof inks with a 'these colours don't run' theme.

One problem: You could only make red, white, and blue inks. And no one would buy the white ink. :smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
My initial plan was to get a Safari but my budget changed a little bit. Do you think getting a Twsbi 580 is a good first pen? I planned on getting the inkwell for it also.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nask26 posted:

My initial plan was to get a Safari but my budget changed a little bit. Do you think getting a Twsbi 580 is a good first pen? I planned on getting the inkwell for it also.

gently caress yes it's a good first pen. The inkwell is just gravy as well.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have the 540 and the Safari and despite the bevels in the Safari being weird at first and the 540 being a piston fill, I still use my Safari almost every day. I feel the size and weight of the Safari is far more pen-like than the TWSBI lineup because TWSBI jumps right into the deep end of fountain pens. I think if you're in that budget range, I'd buy a bunch of $8-10 pens and figure out what pen size you like best before you're stuck with a $50+ pen that you might find too heavy for daily writing.

A big $20 Noodler pen and a Pilot 78G would be my personal starting opinion, along with a Lamy Safari. This way you have a gigantic piston fill, a small Japanese cigar pen, and a middle of the road Lamy which is also virtually indestructible. Also, get a bottle of Heart of Darkness, which comes with a free Pilot Preppy, another pen that is too good for how much they charge for it. It's also by far my favorite ink for these pens. :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Nask26 posted:

Get the 580. I wish I'd gotten a TWSBI as my first pen and not wasted money on all those cheaper pens that I don't use any more.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I bought a steel #6 1.5 stub nib from Goulet Pens to try out. I heard that the TWSBI Micarta takes that size and, although I like the Micarta, the nib is quite a nail and never really appealed to me enough to use it regularly. The nib fit perfectly and it lays down a silky, wet line. The Micarta will definitely go back into my regular rotation with this nib.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Hell yeah, Goulet Nibs!

VVV

I've been writing my f's stylistically, and honestly? They work better if I actually attempt to be consistent.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 29, 2013

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That's a nice pen but I'm not at all sure about the tucking great price and Ahab titted with that nib.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

angerbot posted:

That's a nice pen but I'm not at all sure about the tucking great price and Ahab titted with that nib.

I think it's tabulous!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Obligatory Toast posted:

VVV

I've been writing my f's stylistically, and honestly? They work better if I actually attempt to be consistent.

It's better than my handwriting :v:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

angerbot posted:

It's better than my handwriting :v:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh Obligatory Toast, nothing is ever alright.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

angerbot posted:

It's okay, though, everything will be alluinzt.

:v:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

angerbot posted:

You have to befjves, man.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Click for big

Tsuki-Yo is the best ink :allears:

Also macroeconomics is the worst academic

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
It's work appropriate and has a gentle greenish hue! Though I love Fuyu-gaki as well. :allears:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Xovaan posted:

Click for big

Tsuki-Yo is the best ink :allears:

Also macroeconomics is the worst academic

Is that comparative statics analysis?

Also you guys should check out Mont Blanc Burgundy Red for a good ink. It seems iridescent to me, depending on the light and angle it looks purple, violet, black or dark red. There is shading but it looks stylish.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nah, it's just equations used to determine dynamic aggregate demand and supply in a closed economy. In two weeks this class means nothing to me. :I

My favorite Montblanc ink is the Violent / Lavender Purple by a longshot and the burgundy is nice too. I'm actually a fan of the ink RustedChrome used in the above pictures as well. What is it?

So far I have Tsuki-Yo, Shin-Ryoku, and Heart of Darkness. Gotta get myself a red next, definitely. :getin:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Obligatory Toast, how is that Ahab you're using? I decided Noodler's Turquoise Eel is my favourite ink ever now and I've been curious about the Ahab for a while. I thought as long as I was gonna put an order in to the Goulets I'd take an opportunity to maybe get a new pen too :getin:

Edit: Also, recommending Aurora Black as the perfect black. It's a completely neutral black which is nice and is extremely black which makes a change compared to most black inks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Xachariah posted:

Is that comparative statics analysis?

Also you guys should check out Mont Blanc Burgundy Red for a good ink. It seems iridescent to me, depending on the light and angle it looks purple, violet, black or dark red. There is shading but it looks stylish.

poo poo no; Mont Blanc burgundy is pink. I had heard such great things about how well behaved MB inks are and instead of just buying black (which I don't own any black ink) I thought oh yes, burgundy should be a rich and deep red.
I got a pink so I never use if because it doesn't seem manly enough.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

That TWSBI 580 looks pretty rad. I was wondering though, wouldn't it be a bother to have the entire back end of the pen serve as a piston knob like that? I figured it'd be a mess waiting to happen.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

It's really not an issue to be honest. It's not really something that occurs accidentally.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I am a pen fiddler and I have almost started twisting that end on many occasions. It's really a matter of when, not if (for me).

That said I loving _lurve_ my 580.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

poo poo no; Mont Blanc burgundy is pink. I had heard such great things about how well behaved MB inks are and instead of just buying black (which I don't own any black ink) I thought oh yes, burgundy should be a rich and deep red.
I got a pink so I never use if because it doesn't seem manly enough.

Uhh, this is confusing 'cause mine seems like a pretty dark red:

On my window sill for natural light.

EDIT: Sorry about my clown handwriting.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Xachariah posted:

Uhh, this is confusing 'cause mine seems like a pretty dark red:

It looks like a dark pink to me in that pic.