Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man, really? All the stuff they added in Empire and Shogun 2 makes the game more interesting, I guess, but at the same time I love how simple M2TW is in respect to those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

madmac posted:

It's a thing.

It really annoys me that I can't get into Med 2 anymore. Too many quality of life improvements I can't give up. Rome was my first TW game, but Med 2 is the one I grabbed on release and played the hell out of for years. It's unlikely CA is going to go back to that era anytime soon if ever, either.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next game after Rome 2 is Medieval 3.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

madmac posted:

It's a thing.

It really annoys me that I can't get into Med 2 anymore. Too many quality of life improvements I can't give up. Rome was my first TW game, but Med 2 is the one I grabbed on release and played the hell out of for years. It's unlikely CA is going to go back to that era anytime soon if ever, either.

They'll do it right after Rome II and throw in the Renaissance too with Pike And Shot coming into the game towards the end. Betting this now.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm probably alone in this but I still say the Total War series peaked with the first Medieval. Rome was fun but it had god-awful AI and none of the charm or atmosphere of its predecessors. Medieval 2 barely even qualifies as a separate game aside from a few things like the different settlement types. I admittedly haven't played any of the others (and I hear Empire is pretty good) but it would take a lot to enrapture me the way Medieval did.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Jabarto posted:

I'm probably alone in this but I still say the Total War series peaked with the first Medieval. Rome was fun but it had god-awful AI and none of the charm or atmosphere of its predecessors. Medieval 2 barely even qualifies as a separate game aside from a few things like the different settlement types. I admittedly haven't played any of the others (and I hear Empire is pretty good) but it would take a lot to enrapture me the way Medieval did.

Good news (maybe). I was exactly the same with the love for the first Medieval, but Shogun was my first Total War game and Shogun 2 really grabbed me once I got over all the changes it made. I would rate it as good, if not better, than the original Medieval in terms of the fun in watching armies clash and managing your provinces.

Wait, you heard Empire was good?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next game after Rome 2 is Medieval 3.

Warhammer Total War is next, I'm sure, and after that I just don't get the feeling that they're eager to do a third game in the same era yet. I could be wrong, but I think they'd rather strike out and do something new before then.

quote:

Man, really? All the stuff they added in Empire and Shogun 2 makes the game more interesting, I guess, but at the same time I love how simple M2TW is in respect to those games.

Part of it is just knowing the game a little too well at this point, warts and all. Lots of little annoyances I used to overlook and what not. The AI is so inept compared to Shogun 2.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

shalcar posted:

Good news (maybe). I was exactly the same with the love for the first Medieval, but Shogun was my first Total War game and Shogun 2 really grabbed me once I got over all the changes it made. I would rate it as good, if not better, than the original Medieval in terms of the fun in watching armies clash and managing your provinces.

Wait, you heard Empire was good?

Well, I have a friend who really likes it. I honestly haven't been following the Total War series very closely for the last few years.

Good to hear that Shogun 2 is so good, though. Maybe I'll try it out now that I'm getting back into the games a bit.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Part of it is just knowing the game a little too well at this point, warts and all. Lots of little annoyances I used to overlook and what not. The AI is so inept compared to Shogun 2.

To be honest I haven't played vanilla M2TW in a pretty long time, and the last time I did it was pretty annoying compared to how the AI acts in Stainless Steel. But then again, I am pretty awful at this game, truth be told. I can't win a VH/VH campaign without cheating a little every now and again (which is kind of hilarious considering I've put more than 800 hours into this game and various mods).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Medieval 3 would be a day-one buy for me. Assuming that generals still have the same personality system, and not the boring Shogun 2 Everyone is Clones system.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

madmac posted:

Warhammer Total War is next, I'm sure, and after that I just don't get the feeling that they're eager to do a third game in the same era yet. I could be wrong, but I think they'd rather strike out and do something new before then.

Huh, Warhammer Total War? I'm sure that they could make a fun game with that concept, but doesn't that risk seriously diluting the franchise? I mean the previous Total War games have taken a lot of historic liberties, but they've always had at least some grounding in reality. Orks shooting crude missles at a line of Necrons while a Tyranid horde out flanks both of them is really far removed from anything they've ever done before. Plus every faction would play really differently, and some of the play styles would be significantly different to either the gunpowder and non-gunpowder games of the past. The lack of a focused story will become painfully obvious without historic trappings that create the illusion of a narrative, especially for players who are have no previous knowledge of the in game universe. Eh, I don't want to shoot things down out of hand, but it seems like a risky development for the series.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

cafel posted:

Huh, Warhammer Total War? I'm sure that they could make a fun game with that concept, but doesn't that risk seriously diluting the franchise? I mean the previous Total War games have taken a lot of historic liberties, but they've always had at least some grounding in reality. Orks shooting crude missles at a line of Necrons while a Tyranid horde out flanks both of them is really far removed from anything they've ever done before. Plus every faction would play really differently, and some of the play styles would be significantly different to either the gunpowder and non-gunpowder games of the past. The lack of a focused story will become painfully obvious without historic trappings that create the illusion of a narrative, especially for players who are have no previous knowledge of the in game universe. Eh, I don't want to shoot things down out of hand, but it seems like a risky development for the series.

Warhammer Fantasy: Total War was the big news, IIRC.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

toasterwarrior posted:

Warhammer Fantasy: Total War was the big news, IIRC.

The only actual news is that SEGA and CA have announced a partnership with Games Workshop to create a Warhammer Fantasy game. It is not necessarily a Total War game. Even if it is TW-style strategy game, I highly doubt it would bear the 'Total War' title, as it is not at all related to the rest of the franchise thematically.

Jabarto posted:

Good to hear that Shogun 2 is so good, though. Maybe I'll try it out now that I'm getting back into the games a bit.

If you want to try Shogun 2, a lot of people in this thread have coupons for 75% off, so be sure to get one before you buy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warhammer Fantasy is irrelephant nowadays I think.

What else is irrelephant? flaming pigs, I hated those 'fun' units in my Total War.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

If you want to try Shogun 2, a lot of people in this thread have coupons for 75% off, so be sure to get one before you buy.

You actually just reminded me that I got one of those a while back. Looks like it expires the day after tomorrow, so I might as well use it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

cafel posted:

Warhammer Fantasy is more or less late medieval/Renaissance combat plus magic, so it's not really THAT far off the traditional Total War line. And while Warhammer Fantasy is hardly historical, most of the setting is pretty clearly ripped off of history - the most prominent point, of course, being how the Empire is pretty much the Holy Roman Empire. In terms of mechanics, the two seem like a pretty good match, honestly, particularly with Shogun 2's focus on unit abilities that would seem to translate pretty well into magic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cafel posted:

The Russsian mod is amazing and i'd pay for the chance of having a stable version with online campaign.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is it possible to pick up Medieval 1 anywhere? Can't see it on steam

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Is it possible to pick up Medieval 1 anywhere? Can't see it on steam

Try Good Old Games. If not, yell at them for not getting the old Total Wars on it yet?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Mans posted:

The Russsian mod is amazing and i'd pay for the chance of having a stable version with online campaign.

I've been playing Call of Warhammer a lot the last couple of weeks and while its really cool and a lot of work went into it the balance is kind of mind boggling. Its almost impossible to survive 20 turns as vampires and orcs go bankrupt in 3 or 4 turns unless you disband your armies. I can totally see Warhammer working as TW style game.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I'm actually surprised they haven't made a game set in China, or around China.

Didn't China historically have one of the most militaristic countries in the world pre-renaissance? Or at least they were at war a lot.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Imapanda posted:

I'm actually surprised they haven't made a game set in China, or around China.

Didn't China historically have one of the most militaristic countries in the world pre-renaissance? Or at least they were at war a lot.

Total War: Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm pretty sure the reason that Medieval 2 turns took so long after a while was because all of the princesses and merchants and diplomats and other agents that pile up around your cities had to play through the entire animations of bowing and pointing and curtsying to each other.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Try Good Old Games. If not, yell at them for not getting the old Total Wars on it yet?

I tried to get Medieval + Viking Invasion to work once but it turns out the game completely shits itself when confronted with modern hardware.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I tried to get Medieval + Viking Invasion to work once but it turns out the game completely shits itself when confronted with modern hardware.

It can be made to work, actually. It used to have an issue with AMD video cards (but that's been fixed) and there's kind of an obscure fix that involves swapping out a pair of art files or something, but it runs just fine on my Windows 7 system.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I got a craving for some MTW1 action but haven't been able to get it to run on Windows 8, crashes when it tries to load the main menu after the opening cinematic.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason that Medieval 2 turns took so long after a while was because all of the princesses and merchants and diplomats and other agents that pile up around your cities had to play through the entire animations of bowing and pointing and curtsying to each other.

I swear the AI does this on purpose just to gently caress with me psychologically.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pressing space bar forces the AI animations for all that to speed up.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm sure most people know that but occasionally it doesn't work. Even then, it seems to speed up for movement but as soon as a character/army interacts with something it goes back to normal/slow speeds.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not the stupid little bows and poo poo :(

In my latest game, Russia had five diplomats and two princesses surrounding my capital. I finally gave in after like ten turns of this nonsense and tried out that "surround them with military units" thing and got rid of them oh thank god.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I always assumed that was a bug CA were too lazy to fix, since from the looks of it they're trying to make an offer, but don't.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Those are attempted bribes.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Which are the mods that fix artillery and naval battles in FOTS?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Baron Porkface posted:

Which are the mods that fix artillery and naval battles in FOTS?

Here's the artillery pack recommended by SeanBeansShako a couple of times in the thread.

I don't think there'a a mod to make naval battles less terrible. Build ironclads and hope you hit the ammo stores of enemy ships.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 29, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Small Update from Jack Lusted about the new army system:

quote:

Armies and generals

First things first, you cannot have an army without a general and there is a limit to the number of armies you can have at any one time. This limit is tied into how much power a faction has, this works similar to the fame system in Shogun 2.
This limit is being put in place for a variety of reasons. A big one is to make battles more decisive, by having the number of armies limited losing one is a much bigger deal and means, much as you would expect, that a single battle can have a large impact on a war. The introduction of army traditions also makes them more valuable as each can be made unique and having a limit makes each army more precious. It also adds more choices in how you use them, as you must balance how many armies you have attacking and defending to provide enough protection to your nation as well as being able to go on the offensive, and changing that balance depending on the situation at any given moment in a campaign.

You raise an army from a settlement, and then you have to appoint a general to lead it. You then recruit units to it by selecting the army. When recruiting your army will enter muster mode and it cannot move in this stance.

As mentioned in the most recent Rally Point, your army can be named and you can change its emblem. It can also gain traditions as it fights and gets experience.

Generals still have skills and traits. New skills can be chosen as a General gains experience. Traits are given based on what a General does.

As there are no longer resource slots outside of settlements, armies now have a raid stance. This reduces their upkeep. If they are in enemy territory it also gives some money as income, if it is done in friendly territory it additionally causes unhappiness.

Because the number of armies is limited and the automatic garrisons can only protect against so much, the new forced march stance is a great way to move around the campaign map quickly. It gives a large bonus to movement distance, but the army cannot attack that turn and if it is attacked the units in it will suffer a morale penalty.

If an army loses its General a new one can be appointed straight away.

I hope this update answers some of your questions about the campaign, and explains how a lot of the new campaign map features tie into each other to provide a very different and better gameplay experience compared to any previous Total War game.
Cheers,
Jack

Limited number of armies and relying more on moving them around instead of garrison spam makes sense to me.

Total War Center has been hilarious lately. In the absence of anything to complain about, they've been flailing around and practically making things up to demonstrate how they're still cool and sticking it to the man. Arcade, man. Everything is arcade, probably.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 29, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Will also get rid of stack spam being the way the AI tries to fight you.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

madmac posted:

Small Update from Jack Lusted about the new army system:

These changes sound awesome and are jolly good examples of how to reduce micronamagement, give armies personalities, and provide more options to the player.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Will also get rid of stack spam being the way the AI tries to fight you.

A Total War game with non-cheating, decent AI? Here's hoping.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"We like the old system where generals would get interesting, semi-random traits over time, but we also like the new system where you can customise all your dudes. gently caress it, do both at once."

(I think this is a good decision btw).

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

madmac posted:

Total War Center has been hilarious lately. In the absence of anything to complain about, they've been flailing around and practically making things up to demonstrate how they're still cool and sticking it to the man. Arcade, man. Everything is arcade, probably.

I can stomach the totalwar.com forums easier than TWCenter, although they're both all about making the game so historically accurate it may as well be a documentary (while not knowing very much about the history of the civilizations oddly enough!). The best threads are where they rail on Steam. I'm not sure what version they're using of it, maybe 2007 judging by the typical complaints. I know I definitely miss losing/breaking the one CD of the 3 that I need to play the game and having to buy a whole new copy.

As for his update, I wouldn't have minded 30 or 40 units in a stack to let me flesh out armies a little easier, but it won't break my gaming experience.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 29, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Good news and it should make the game less micromanagment intensive, I also think that having 20 units in each stack is more than enough. I also agree that the official forums are less bad than TWC since it's not down half the time and it's a little less idiotic.

As for the steam complaints it's not unique to total war fans, there's a shitload of complains on the Paradox forums as well for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It honestly amazes me that almosta decade on from introduction and pretty much being the leading digital download service that some people still look down on STEAM like that at all.

But yeah predicting that some of the TWC community with find something to bitch and moan about despite the fact it looks like CA looks like it is making an effort.