Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hahaha. So it's half the number of confirmed conservatives. Either that or more than conservatives. But it's a minority!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I still think it's real funny that he pointed out that his rear end was shrinking while he was spewing bile at that :airquote: liberal :airquote:
It also still strikes me as funny that Limbaugh can't think to conceive of someone having the opinion of 'Bush throwing us into war in the Middle East was not a prudent fiscal decision' and not be a commie liberal SOB.

:tinfoil: The caller isn't real, it was all a false flag to throw meat to his true believer listening base

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mark Levin was doing some schooling on climate change tonight.

It turns out that plants need carbon dioxide for photosynthesis so "how can it possibly be a bad thing?" and that Mars is just Earth minus the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and we would be just like Mars if not for that fact.

It genuinely felt like a rant Master Shake would go on in an episode of ATHF.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Mark Levin was doing some schooling on climate change tonight.

It turns out that plants need carbon dioxide for photosynthesis so "how can it possibly be a bad thing?" and that Mars is just Earth minus the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and we would be just like Mars if not for that fact.

It genuinely felt like a rant Master Shake would go on in an episode of ATHF.

Problem #53 with Mark Levin's rant: Mars' atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide.

Wait, if it's all carbon dioxide then why is it cold OH poo poo :pseudo:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 29, 2013

Zazzera
Sep 11, 2001

Bergen Goon

kik2dagroin posted:

I still think it's real funny that he pointed out that his rear end was shrinking while he was spewing bile at that :airquote: liberal :airquote:
It also still strikes me as funny that Limbaugh can't think to conceive of someone having the opinion of 'Bush throwing us into war in the Middle East was not a prudent fiscal decision' and not be a commie liberal SOB.

:tinfoil: The caller isn't real, it was all a false flag to throw meat to his true believer listening base

For some reason I've never seen much mention of "Rush Limbaugh eats everything" here at SA. Its a comic from the end of the nineties, which still captures todays Limbaugh pretty well. I feel its relevant to the people asking "has it always been this bad?". I enjoyed it, tough its a bit far out. Some previews:

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
In the 90s, Rush was also in Animaniacs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In 1993, Rush Limbaugh went on the Letterman show.

It did not go well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpebtIXROw

Note 1) Limbaugh's pathetic efforts to lick Dave's shoes for the first two minutes of the interview, 2) the completely effortless way that Letterman utterly destroys Limbaugh with a couple of offhand sentences, 3) the way Limbaugh responds by gasping like a fish that has just been pulled onto a pier.

Limbaugh has pretty much refused to appear before an unfriendly or neutral audience, or give interviews to any but the most sympathetic interviewers for the last twenty years, and this Letterman appearance is exactly why.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 29, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FMguru posted:

Note 1) Limbaugh's pathetic efforts to lick Dave's shows for the first two minutes of the interview, 2) the completely effortless way that Letterman utterly destroys Limbaugh with a couple of offhand sentences, 3) the way Limbaugh responds by gasping like a fish that has just been pulled onto a pier.

Limbaugh has pretty much refused to appear before an unfriendly or neutral audience, or give interviews to any but the most sympathetic interviewers for the last twenty years, and this Letterman appearance is exactly why.

See also his effort at a TV career. Much like Bill O'Reilly, he fundamentally can't function in an environment where he's not the ultimate arbiter of what's right and what isn't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had a pastor who once told me they canceled Rush Limbaugh's late night show "because the ratings were too high and it scared the establishment".

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

greatn posted:

I had a pastor who once told me they canceled Rush Limbaugh's late night show "because the ratings were too high and it scared the establishment".

You'd think a pastor would try to stay away from the kind of vitriol Rush spews out of his mouth-hole but no, that's just wishful thinking :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ograbme posted:

There was also a guy similar to Rush in one pretty early episode of the Simpsons

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

FMguru posted:

Note 1) Limbaugh's pathetic efforts to lick Dave's shoes for the first two minutes of the interview, 2) the completely effortless way that Letterman utterly destroys Limbaugh with a couple of offhand sentences, 3) the way Limbaugh responds by gasping like a fish that has just been pulled onto a pier.

I love the part where he says, "The Republican party has squandered the legacy given to them by Reagan in the 1980s and now it's trying to put it all back together. There's not a single set of beliefs, ideals, visions that anybody can rally around in the Republican party." I guess they settled on attacking presidential scandals and shutting down the government over budget silliness. Thinking back, it's hard to believe it's really been 20 years of this.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was also a guy similar to Rush in one pretty early episode of the Simpsons

Fat Tony?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Birch Barlow

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Pope Guilty posted:

See also his effort at a TV career. Much like Bill O'Reilly, he fundamentally can't function in an environment where he's not the ultimate arbiter of what's right and what isn't.
Oh wow, from that article Frontline did a report on him in 1995 which I found interesting. I remember when I was younger and my dad would watch the Rush TV show, although I definitely don't recall the one where gay activists got into his audience and called him out for being a homophobic shitlord :unsmith:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

greatn posted:

A thing that no executive would ever do.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
My sister went off to school downstate (Illinois) and she comes back to my parents' place for the summer, and I guess her sorority and all the good ol boys at U of I turned her conservative, because I hear this poo poo come on her laptop. It's a typical country song, except almost every verse is gently caress YOU LIBERALS. I like how the refrain implies that liberals don't care about their families, don't register for the draft, and don't beat their children (eh I can live with that one). It starts off a nice little ditty about fishing, and gets nasty and indignant quick. Are there many of these songs? If so, definitely a subset of right-wing media.

quote:

Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin on the line
Put me 'round a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned
You do your thing, I'll do mine

I ain't tradin' in my family's safety
Just to save a little gas
And I'll pray to God any place, any time
And you can bet I'll pick up the phone if Uncle Sam calls me up

Hey, I'll worry about me
You just worry about you
And I'll believe what I believe
And you can believe what you believe too

I ain't gonna spare the rod
Cuz that ain't what my daddy did
And I sure know the difference between wrong and right
You know, to me it's all just common sense
A broken rule, a consequence

(refrain)

I'm gonna keep on working hard
Make my money the old-fashioned way
I don't wanna piece of someone else's pie
I don't wanna piece of nobody else's pie
If I don't get my fill on life I ain't gonna blame no one but me

You ain't gonna be my judge
Cuz my judge will judge us all one day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGTW35jWh7A

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

agarjogger posted:

My sister went off to school downstate (Illinois) and she comes back to my parents' place for the summer, and I guess her sorority and all the good ol boys at U of I turned her conservative, because I hear this poo poo come on her laptop. It's a typical country song, except almost every verse is gently caress YOU LIBERALS. I like how the refrain implies that liberals don't care about their families, don't register for the draft, and don't beat their children (eh I can live with that one). It starts off a nice little ditty about fishing, and gets nasty and indignant quick. Are there many of these songs? If so, definitely a subset of right-wing media.

The one guy from the video went to prison for shooting a caged bear on film and editing it to look like he hunted it in the wild.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

I love this video, and the music." I DON'T LIKE THE PICTURE OF MLK IN THIS VIDEO HOWEVER". MLK was for a fact a bad unprincipled man. Check out Martin Luther King . org. MANY,,,MANY TROUBLING realities about him. Including homo sexual sex, drug uses , and crookery.

Save your sister or this will soon be her.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

A Video Response posted:

I love this video, and the music." I DON'T LIKE THE PICTURE OF MLK IN THIS VIDEO HOWEVER". MLK was for a fact a bad unprincipled man. Check out Martin Luther King . org. MANY,,,MANY TROUBLING realities about him. Including homo sexual sex, drug uses , and crookery.

I misread that as crockery and was trying to figure out what he had to do with plates and why it was bad for a few moments there. I don't think I've ever heard the word crookery before. Apparently it's real, though!

I wonder whose talking point used it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

HERE LIES TEBOW posted:

The one guy from the video went to prison for shooting a caged bear on film and editing it to look like he hunted it in the wild.

Wha?

Also love the "liberal snobs" shocked at the deer on his hood BUT THEN THEY EAT MEAT!

Jesus christ.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gozinbulx posted:

Wha?

Also love the "liberal snobs" shocked at the deer on his hood BUT THEN THEY EAT MEAT!

Jesus christ.

I had to look this one up.

quote:

n 2004, Gentry purchased a tame black bear named Cubby from a facility called the Minnesota Wildlife Connection, a facility that houses various animals for access to what it calls wildlife photographers. In 2006, Gentry shot the bear with an arrow while it was trapped in a small, electrified enclosure from close range. On November 27, 2006, Gentry pleaded guilty to a charge of falsely tagging a tame bear that was killed in a fenced enclosure as if it had been killed in the wild.[52] Under the plea agreement, he agreed to pay a $15,000 fine, give up hunting, fishing and trapping in Minnesota for 5 years, and forfeit both the stuffed bear and the bow used to shoot the animal in 2004. Gentry posted a statement on the duo's website on November 9, 2010, apologizing for his actions.[42]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Gentry

Real Americans.

Oh, just for contrast with an actual Real American:

quote:

The name Teddy Bear comes from former United States President Theodore Roosevelt, who was commonly known as "Teddy" (though he loathed being referred to as such[3]). The name originated from an incident on a bear hunting trip in Mississippi in November 1902, to which Roosevelt was invited by Mississippi Governor Andrew H. Longino. There were several other hunters competing, and most of them had already killed an animal. A suite of Roosevelt's attendants, led by Holt Collier,[4] cornered, clubbed, and tied an American Black Bear to a willow tree after a long exhausting chase with hounds. They called Roosevelt to the site and suggested that he should shoot it. He refused to shoot the bear himself, deeming this unsportsmanlike, but instructed that the bear be killed to put it out of its misery,[5][6] and it became the topic of a political cartoon by Clifford Berryman in The Washington Post on November 16, 1902.[7] While the initial cartoon of an adult black bear lassoed by a handler and a disgusted Roosevelt had symbolic overtones, later issues of that and other Berryman cartoons made the bear smaller and cuter.[8]

Morris Michtom saw the drawing of Roosevelt and was inspired to create a new toy. He created a little stuffed bear cub and put it in his shop window with a sign that read "Teddy's bear," after sending a bear to Roosevelt and receiving permission to use his name. The toys were an immediate success and Michtom founded the Ideal Novelty and Toy Co.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_bear

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gozinbulx posted:

Wha?

Jesus christ.

You can also tell he is a terrible hunter because putting the deer on the hood of your car can cause the meat to spoil from engine heat.

EDIT: And the fact there is a giant dead animal blocking your field of vision

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 29, 2013

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HERE LIES TEBOW posted:

You can also tell he is a terrible hunter because putting the deer on the hood of your car can cause the meat to spoil from engine heat.

Sure, but how else are you going to stick it in the face of all those pesky liberals? Put in in the back like a real hunter? Rubbish.

e:

HERE LIES TEBOW posted:

And that the hood of even a truck really isn't meant to support that much weight. And that it's likely to fly off and hit someone or something in an emergency stop.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 29, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

HERE LIES TEBOW posted:

Shut up he makes his money the old-fashioned way and you leech off the benevolence of the economic powerhouses of Alabama and Mississippi.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Sure, but how else are you going to stick it in the face of all those pesky liberals? Put in in the back like a real hunter? Rubbish.

Christ, I forgot everything terrible about this video

Good parenting tip no 126:

"Teach your children the importance of moral values by assaulting a man with a baseball bat in front of them while on a random family outing"

Seriously, has there ever been a situation where a socially well-adjusted adult started a family story with "So one time my dad was trying to kill a drug dealer in front of me and..."

EDIT:

I also really want to know what kind of travel itinerary for a hunting trip involves driving from the woods to the main street of a major metropolitan area. What, is he going to skin the thing in his sixth floor loft apartment?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 29, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

I'm pretty liberal and I drag a deer out of the woods every most some hunting seasons. A lot more of us sissified, liberal, city-types have picked up the hobby because getting meat that way is pretty green and it's a great excuse to hang out with your friends.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HERE LIES TEBOW posted:

I also really want to know what kind of travel itinerary for a hunting trip involves driving from the woods to the main street of a major metropolitan area. What, is he going to skin the thing in his sixth floor loft apartment?

Most of today's country "artists" are, in fact, suburban idiot shitlords who bought a 10-gallon hat, a belt buckle, and some boots from the nearest Stein Mart, picked up an F-250 from the Ford dealership, and decided that was enough to qualify as "country" even if they'd never been more than 5 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart in their entire wasted life.

If I ever make a country music video, it will involve Waylon Jennings' re-animated amputated legs repeatedly kicking people like Montgomery Gentry in the rear end and stepping on their hats.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm from louisiana and now live in MS - trust me, 'country' people stick out. One of my friends goes hog and bird hunting at random times because the gear's just always in the back of his pickup. He uses a bow and arrow.

And I've known cajuns who you couldn't label as civilized if you tried - motherfuckers that have literally wrestled alligators not-for-fun. I want these types of people to write us some god drat country songs.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Most of today's country "artists" are, in fact, suburban idiot shitlords who bought a 10-gallon hat, a belt buckle, and some boots from the nearest Stein Mart, picked up an F-250 from the Ford dealership, and decided that was enough to qualify as "country" even if they'd never been more than 5 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart in their entire wasted life.

If I ever make a country music video, it will involve Waylon Jennings' re-animated amputated legs repeatedly kicking people like Montgomery Gentry in the rear end and stepping on their hats.

I thought being country ideally meant working with your hands, drinking lovely beer and listening to awful music, driving a truck and voting Republican. I doubt it still has anything to do with having a connection to the land. The guys I know who can handle themselves in the backcountry are the most left ones I know because they despise development. They are also utterly unfamiliar with the concept of taking a vehicle off-roading, because that's not real camping. I don't know how much backcountry remains in the south, but I do know that practically the entire northern half of Georgia is functionally a suburb of Atlanta. Suburbanized folk are probably more disconnected from the land than urbanized people, because city-dwellers can tell the difference between a human settlement and a mountain.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Warchicken posted:

And I've known cajuns who you couldn't label as civilized if you tried - motherfuckers that have literally wrestled alligators not-for-fun. I want these types of people to write us some god drat country songs.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah, I am a long time Folk fan from a rural area and this psuedo-country stuff always strikes me as insultingly performative.

Hell, country music used to be pro-Union blue collar poo poo kicking music. Utah Phillips and Guthrie.

Give me Townes Van Zandt any day.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

FMguru posted:

Oh wow, it's great seeing him without control. It really sheds a light on his persona and how small and ineffective it is when there's another party present to keep him in check. Thanks for sharing!

agarjogger posted:

My sister went off to school downstate (Illinois) and she comes back to my parents' place for the summer, and I guess her sorority and all the good ol boys at U of I turned her conservative, because I hear this poo poo come on her laptop.

Watching that I was thinking "what the poo poo is this from 2005?", I was relieved to see it was actually released in 2004. All the war stuff was throwing me for a loop when I thought this song was more current. Boy, nothing beats all that retarded poo poo from when the war on terror was getting started.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ograbme posted:

I don't remember that episode. I just remember him on an episode of the Critic, being the only man in America fatter and more unlikeable than Jay.

Edit: He was also in Amazing Spider-Man as a crime boss for some reason.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

agarjogger posted:

My sister went off to school downstate (Illinois) and she comes back to my parents' place for the summer, and I guess her sorority and all the good ol boys at U of I turned her conservative, because I hear this poo poo come on her laptop. It's a typical country song, except almost every verse is gently caress YOU LIBERALS.

This isn't surprising at all. I always thought UIUC was a relatively liberal college, given its amazing tech departments, but I think the college of business bleeds out over the rest of campus. I hear the same 1980's econ talking points from all of my friends that went to UIUC. But, hey, at least she went to a good school. I went to EIU and I think maybe 5% of the students can name all three branches of US government. :v:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I don't remember that episode. I just remember him on an episode of the Critic, being the only man in America fatter and more unlikeable than Jay.

Edit: He was also in Amazing Spider-Man as a crime boss for some reason.

And Freakazoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5G6pSA-yEk&t=537s

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You guys made me look up Limbaugh on IMDB.
The Trivia section was kind of interesting. I edited out the boring stuff.

quote:

Trivia

Rusty Sharpe and Jeff Christy were 2 of Rush Limbaugh's early disc jockey names.

The anti-union "Rush Act" in the "Babylon 5" (1994) episode, "Babylon 5: By Any Means Necessary (#1.12)" (1994), is named after him.

Grandfather Rush H. Limbaugh, Sr. died at age 103. Was the oldest practicing attorney in the USA at the time of his death.

Signed a contract extension with Premiere Radio Networks reportedly worth $365 million, making him the highest-paid radio personality in history. The contract kept him on the air through 2009. [July 2001]

Revealed to his radio listeners and the world that for mysterious reasons, he is now almost completely deaf. [8 October 2001]

Had a cochlear implant put into his left ear and now has regained a fraction normal hearing in that ear. However, that hearing is not normal and without the cochlear implant, Limbaugh remains entirely deaf. He has a transcriber for callers and to do interviews. [January 2002]

Turned down an offer from Pat Buchanan to be his running mate during the 1992 Presidential campaign.

Was considered for the then-vacant color analyst position on ABC's "NFL Monday Night Football" (1970) that went to Dennis Miller.

Family refers to him as "Rusty."

Revealed to his listeners on October 10, 2003 that he has been addicted to prescription pain medication for many years, following spinal surgery. Entered an intensive in-patient treatment program and was away from his radio show for five weeks. Is now continuing his treatment as a recovering addict, and has returned to his radio program.

After he returned to his radio show after five weeks in rehab he has consistantly had between 35 and 40 million listeners - twice what he normally has

He is the #1 nationally syndicated radio talk show host in America.

Raised a record $1.7 million-plus for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of America in his annual Cure-a-Thon, in addition to his personal donation of a quarter of a million dollars.

Nominated in 2007 for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated his earnings for the year at $33 million.

His mother, Millie (Armstrong) Limbaugh, was considered the "first lady" of their hometown, Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Millie passed away March 3, 2000. After her death it was revealed that Rush had temporarily moved back to Cape Girardeau to take care of his mother. He broadcast his radio show from her kitchen and had all callers forwarded to a local phone line without any delay.

Is a vocal critic of President Barack Obama.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mysterious reasons = narcotics abuse

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They left out the part where he got caught with boner pills that weren't prescribed to him on a trip to the Dominican Republic.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

There's a really interesting bit about 5 minutes in where Rush goes on about how Clinton "wasn't elected" because he only got 43% of the vote, of course neglecting to mention that a third party candidate got nearly 20% pretty much ensuring there'd be no way anyone could get more than 45%. That was the beginning of this idea among Republicans that any Democratic president is illegitimate, winning office through some sort of chicanery. It started out purely as a way to oppose Clinton by attempting to deligitimize his presidency, but it morphed into this general concept that only Republicans have any right to govern, which we saw take its inevitable racial turn when Obama was elected, and of course there's no end of irony that the birther thing originated from Hillary's campaign (namely Mark Penn), given Republicans spent her husband's entire presidency leveling the same kind of accusations. Whoever the nominee is in 2016 and should they win, they'll face the same nonsense over their somehow not being the legitimate president as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

quote:

Nominated in 2007 for the Nobel Peace Prize.

What the gently caress, who did this :psyduck:?