Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I love all 3d platform games from the N64 generation. I may have to give them all my money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

Wowee woowee this looks great. I really really hope they get funded, I like everything they showed. The overall art direction is fantastic and it really does give that N64 feel but with a modern twist they are going for. I especially love how N64 the hub looks. My favorite part? They showed actual gameplay! I kind of scoff and X out of kickstarters that are just "here's our game idea also here's some concept art". Also I hope it can manage to get the WiiU release they want too, because it would just feel so right at home on a Nintendo system.

Aaaaah :swoon:

Okay yeah wow. Aside from the menu and button graphics which I assume are all temporary for now anyway, that looks awesome. When they showed the part where you could add dinosaur parts to your weapon I was sold.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So "Tug" got enough money to become a real thing, yay!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1

If anyone here threw in a dollar for them that was cool of you. I really feel this game deserves to be made. Again, a video game that is like Minecraft but with a story and the world is smooth not blocky. Go Internet!

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Son of Nor has 5 hours left and are a little over 5k short of their 150k goal. I think this game has too much potential with their physics engine to let just slip by. Maybe some of you guys can show it some goon love.

fatedtemp
Oct 23, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

So "Tug" got enough money to become a real thing, yay!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1

If anyone here threw in a dollar for them that was cool of you. I really feel this game deserves to be made. Again, a video game that is like Minecraft but with a story and the world is smooth not blocky. Go Internet!
Do you really think they'll deliver half of what they've promised? It's like they boiled down Peter Molyneux and have been getting high off the fumes. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but they wouldn't be the first to promise the moon and fall short.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I love all 3d platform games from the N64 generation. I may have to give them all my money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

I backed this the second I watched the video. I adore the art style and it's almost exactly like the N64 game I've always wanted. I hope it goes well over the goal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

fatedtemp posted:

Do you really think they'll deliver half of what they've promised? It's like they boiled down Peter Molyneux and have been getting high off the fumes. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but they wouldn't be the first to promise the moon and fall short.

Eh, they'll probably fall short on a few things. I backed it because it's run by a bunch of quirky academics and social scientists who want to make a game FOR SCIENCE :science:.

(No really, that's their actual motto.)

The whole concept just makes me smile really. Even if the game goes up in flames, I'm convinced I've got to be right there on the ground floor as it happens.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 30, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

fatedtemp posted:

I'm throwing them a few bucks because I like the concept and their art direction and I think it will at least make an interesting tech demo, but I'm not going to be surprised if it turns out to be a dog's breakfast. I've only loosely followed their updates; the main concern I'd have is if they chase a whole bunch of fanciful gimmicks instead of focusing on what is critical to complete the game, which is dangerous if you've only got a certain amount of money to work with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Son of Nor is down the wire, like three hours to go and 3k left to raise (out of 150k)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Trapezium Dave posted:

I've only loosely followed their updates; the main concern I'd have is if they chase a whole bunch of fanciful gimmicks instead of focusing on what is critical to complete the game, which is dangerous if you've only got a certain amount of money to work with.

I'm not too worried. I mean, they're making it in the tradition of Minecraft, which is pretty much just "building blocks + a whole bunch of gimmicks" the game, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I'm not too worried. I mean, they're making it in the tradition of Minecraft, which is pretty much just "building blocks + a whole bunch of gimmicks" the game, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for it.
I'm hoping for something vaguely Minecrafty done in that art style with some backstory to the world - as long as they deliver that, then I'm happy. Mainly I'm concerned about whether they feel obligated to include all those little elements they've been listing in their update posts. It's one of the concerns I have about the openness of the Kickstarter model of game funding - sometimes a game developer might promise X and then later find both that it's harder to implement than they thought plus the game would be better with Y instead, but now they're in the position where they promised a whole bunch of Xs when asking for crowdfunding with an obligation to provide them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Son of Nor is down the wire, like three hours to go and 3k left to raise (out of 150k)

Someone just dumped a big pledge on them, because they're now $9k to the good still with 3 hours to go

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NTRabbit posted:

Someone just dumped a big pledge on them, because they're now $9k to the good still with 3 hours to go

Hah, looking at the comments it looks like someone's pledge was off by a decimal point. They're at $150,180 on my screen, so just BARELY funded, with two hours to go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Son of Nor wasn't good enough to pledge for but I'm glad an Oculus game got funded nonetheless.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So I just found out that for some reason my Stonehearth pledge didn't go through Amazon smoothly. I know they're keeping Paypal open for another two weeks, but how much window do I have to correct this through Kickstarter itself?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So I just found out that for some reason my Stonehearth pledge didn't go through Amazon smoothly. I know they're keeping Paypal open for another two weeks, but how much window do I have to correct this through Kickstarter itself?

According to the Kickstarter FAQ, you've got 7 days from whenever it ended.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Antitonic posted:

According to the Kickstarter FAQ, you've got 7 days from whenever it ended.

Cool, thanks.

I can't believe they raised so much money on their last day, too. I thought they would only have a chance at Dwarfs after the official end through paypal, but they more than have it with KS alone.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Stonehearth has been funded for slightly less than 800k, counting Paypal, and for reaching 750k during the Livestream countdown, there may or may not be a green dragon with either goggles or a visor. It was a weird stream.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
TinyKeep has passed their funding goal :kimchi: Multiplayer looks well out of reach but I'm glad it's going to get made.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, A Hat in Time just tickles all my fancies. I didn't even know I'd like to play one of those old 3D platformers again until I saw the videos.

Their goal is surprisingly low, though. Even with some work already done, I'm not sure they can deliver a full game with such a small goal, especially when they promise online co-op with just $10,000. Still, kind of excited for this one.

And what's with all these cool KS projects showing up lately? It's awesome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Hat in Time just posted their first update. 50% backed in 12 hours. Looking forward to those stretchgoals!

Not necessarily game related, but Lightpack - Ambient lighting for your displays is finishing soon. Watch their video and tell me it wouldn't be amazing for big screen gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTjpQaWKIiE

I've just backed it and there's only :siren: 26 hours :siren: to go.!

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 30, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Mozi posted:

TinyKeep has passed their funding goal :kimchi: Multiplayer looks well out of reach but I'm glad it's going to get made.

There's a chance we might still see it. A quote from their latest update:

TinyKeep posted:

[...] although I think most of you are really excited about the thought of co-operative multiplayer! It's a long shot indeed, but we can only be hopeful! If we don't make these goals the first time round, rest assured the TinyKeep Team will be back to seek more funds in the future, whether that be Kickstarter, Slacker Backer, or AlphaFunding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Not necessarily game related, but Lightpack - Ambient lighting for your displays is finishing soon. Watch their video and tell me it wouldn't be amazing for big screen gaming.

That looks pretty neat. A mate of mine had a TV with this built into the back of it about a decade ago, I wouldn't mind the effect.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Amazingly (for a kickstarter at least) they acknowledge that the idea is not original or innovative and the prototypes show great promise. I'm disappointed in the way they layout light strips however. This is actually a common project in the Arduino and Raspberry Pi communities. Hell, I think someone in the DIY Arduino thread made their own ambient lighting system with $20 worth of standard form factor RGB LEDs and some posterboard to build a frame.

Paying $80 for a plug and play product is well worth it considering the $40 Arduino + $20 components DIY solution involves a fuckload more effort for pretty much the same result.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

Paying $80 for a plug and play product is well worth it considering the $40 Arduino + $20 components DIY solution involves a fuckload more effort for pretty much the same result.

Yeah it was a project I wanted to eventually do myself when I purchased a new TV. As you said, for $80 they can just have my money and save me the heartache.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

Amazingly (for a kickstarter at least) they acknowledge that the idea is not original or innovative

That page mentions Phillips' various patents; I wonder if this Kickstarter would be considered in violation of one or more.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I responded to Phi's message he sent me after I backed TinyKeep and told him that SA was behind his project and were hopeful that it went well. Apparently he has been lurking this thread!

Phi Dinh posted:

I noticed on the SomethingAwful forums! I decided to stay out of that conversation though, looks like you guys were handling it fine in there! I've actually had loads of backers from that site - so thanks very much for your support!

Sorry for outing you Phi, but you deserve some more love. :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Infinitum posted:

:magical:

I haven't even gotten around to ordering a Lifx yet, you guys are going to send me broke

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

Be aware, it's not standalone like an Arduino/Raspberry Pi solution would be. You need it hooked up to a PC to process the video image.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

Be aware, it's not standalone like an Arduino/Raspberry Pi solution would be. You need it hooked up to a PC to process the video image.

Technically the Arduino and Raspberry Pi aren't standalone either. Arduino solutions I've seen rely on a program running on a PC sending data to the Arduino via USB and the Raspberry Pi one I linked relies on a daemon running on the Pi itself watching the framebuffer to calculate lighting (meaning you need to use the Pi as the player for your video source). Passive pass-through devices for HDMI streams are grounded thanks to the stupid expensive licensing costs associated with that format.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

Technically the Arduino and Raspberry Pi aren't standalone either. Arduino solutions I've seen rely on a program running on a PC sending data to the Arduino via USB and the Raspberry Pi one I linked relies on a daemon running on the Pi itself watching the framebuffer to calculate lighting (meaning you need to use the Pi as the player for your video source). Passive pass-through devices for HDMI streams are grounded thanks to the stupid expensive licensing costs associated with that format.

Well that sucks. You might as well just use a GPIO PCI card on the PC and skip the Arduino/Raspberry Pi altogether then.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
New Double Fine Kickstarter:

Massive Chalice

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
^ Dang, beaten by a minute :v:

"Double Fine" posted:

MASSIVE CHALICE is a single player turn-based tactics game within a multi-generational strategy campaign built for replayability.

As an immortal King or Queen, you must unite your kingdom under a powerful dynasty, eliminate the demonic threat, and reforge the MASSIVE CHALICE!

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Permadeath is inevitable: your heroes will grow, age, and eventually die. You'll have to choose between keeping your favorite heroes on the battlefield or retiring them from combat to foster a new generation of warriors.

Drawing from roguelikes we love, content is modular and randomized. Each playthrough begins with a random assortment of male and female heroes from various bloodlines, guaranteeing that each game is unique. Your knowledge and skill will increase over multiple playthroughs, but the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate.

Their pitch video made me laugh; it's much better acting than some of the others.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 30, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, from here it just sounds like Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Anyone familiar with the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes? Is this project based on one of them? Or is it a completely new thing?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just popping in to say that Expeditions: Conquistador has sent out its GoG, Desura, Gamer's Gate and Steam keys. It's great- like a King's Bounty that's more about managing your camp and people than going around killing things. I've been roleplaying a man out for Spain and God- now one of my followers already hates my guts, and two others are ready to lick the dirt from my boots if they can't see their faces while kissing them. It's awesome.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone familiar with the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes? Is this project based on one of them? Or is it a completely new thing?

This is brand new.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. I haven't played any of the latest Fire Emblems, but the core of a tactical turn-based game is never a bad thing, and throw in some new concepts (the aging thing could be pretty cool) and they've got my vote (cash).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

nessin posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I said that because they were making it sound like the most unique idea to ever hit gaming. And all of it aside the aging has been done by a game that came out last year.

I hope this one turns out well, but considering it's from the team behind Iron Brigade, I expect at most a rather average experience.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saoshyant posted:

I said that because they were making it sound like the most unique idea to ever hit gaming. And all of it aside the aging has been done by a game that came out last year.

I don't know that they're really selling it as this incredible new idea, I got the impression that they're attempting to sell it as something new for them as a studio. They straight up say it was inspired by things like Fire Emblem, FFT and XCOM in the text.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

I hope this one turns out well, but considering it's from the team behind Iron Brigade, I expect at most a rather average experience.

Yeah, but Fire Emblem Awakening is loving AWESOME, so the pitch sounding like it is a good thing in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

They straight up say it was inspired by things like Fire Emblem, FFT and XCOM in the text.

Amusingly enough they mention XCOM and FFT by name on the video, but not Fire Emblem. I hadn't read the text yet.

I think I'm just kind of cold to how it's presented and who's making it and reacted accordingly. Nevermind me.