Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Saoshyant posted:

Amusingly enough they mention XCOM and FFT by name, but not Fire Emblem. It's not a big deal. I'm just kind of cold to how it's presented and who's making it.

Actually,

quote:

We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Re-read what I said. I had only watched the video.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Fire Emblem Awakening's way of handling the concept is totally different from what they're describing. If we're going to draw such a broad comparison we may as well go back to Dragon Quest V and Phantasy Star III.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Their releases can been underwhelming for some people. If this game faces the same issues, it might not be as cool as the pitch makes it out to be but still end up with a certain kind of charm.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The latest Fire Emblem didn't really have characters growing old and dying, it had the adult children of couples eventually coming back in time from the future to help their parents defeat the evil in the present.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fire Emblem without all the creepy poo poo? Hell yes, there are never enough tactical games.

Also, nice Arrested Development S4 reference.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Saoshyant posted:

I said that because they were making it sound like the most unique idea to ever hit gaming. And all of it aside the aging has been done by a game that came out last year.

I hope this one turns out well, but considering it's from the team behind Iron Brigade, I expect at most a rather average experience.

I'm pretty sure it's not the whole team just the same project lead as Iron Brigade. The team sounds like it's being put together from a bunch of people on some of the more recent projects like The Cave and some others. Besides the prototype he did with Lee Petty for the last Amnesia fortnight (Automaton I believe it's called) was pretty awesome for a two week game.

It's still way too early to say too much but at least this is more of a complete game idea than DFA was when it was pitched, so hopefully we'll get to see more of it soon. It's already got over 2000 backers and is over 10% of the way there, by the time all the gaming blogs have reported it I expect it'll probably have soared to half it's goal.

edit- Main thing I can see hurting it so far is a shortage of tiers with some massive gaps between them. I'm sure this is part of some dastardly plan to release more exclusive tiers partway through the campaign to drum up extra funds from people who already backed it.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 30, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anaxite posted:

Their releases can been underwhelming for some people. If this game faces the same issues, it might not be as cool as the pitch makes it out to be but still end up with a certain kind of charm.

Yeah, some people seem cold on some of their stuff, others love it, and it's rarely the same people for each game, it seems. I personally really enjoyed Iron Brigade, and the lead designer Brad Muir is just an incredibly enjoyable person worth backing. And while this game's genre isn't dead or anything, I love tactical turn based games and this one seems real neat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drat it Double Fine, why'd you have to go and pick a game genre I have no interest in :argh:

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Looking at MASSIVE CHALICE again, there's something I was wondering. The $100 tier that lets you name a Bloodline is unlimited, much like one of the tiers of Banner Saga that let you design a crest. It seems like a risky move, but how did that turn out for Banner Saga?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Massive Chalice seems like it has a way worse set of reward tiers than Broken Age. The game is more expensive, there are less tiers below $100, the 100 dollar reward is worse....

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, some people seem cold on some of their stuff, others love it, and it's rarely the same people for each game, it seems. I personally really enjoyed Iron Brigade, and the lead designer Brad Muir is just an incredibly enjoyable person worth backing. And while this game's genre isn't dead or anything, I love tactical turn based games and this one seems real neat.

Yeah. I thought I was tapped out on Kickstarter, but this really is my kind of game, and I'm willing to go in on the lowest tier to just support Muir.

Edit:

Bobo the Red posted:

Massive Chalice seems like it has a way worse set of reward tiers than Broken Age. The game is more expensive, there are less tiers below $100, the 100 dollar reward is worse....

Presumably it's because they seriously underfunded themselves with Broken Age, and they don't want to make the same mistake again.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wow that has to be some of the worst tiers I've ever seen. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to kick in for this one but if I do there's no way in hell I'd do anything but the $20 one.

Doesn't look like it's going to hurt their funding but man that's pretty cheap/shoddy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
As someone relatively new to Kickstarter, has the past month been relatively crazy with Stonehearth and Hex? Or are massive funding for "shut up and take my money" level projects getting consistently common?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As someone relatively new to Kickstarter, has the past month been relatively crazy with Stonehearth and Hex? Or are massive funding for "shut up and take my money" level projects getting consistently common?
I've gone from 'Kickstarter what a stupid idea.' to 'Kickstarter is now a part of my monthly gaming budget'.

Every month there's at least one project that I go from having a vague interest in to obsessively following and having to find reasons not to donate more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darkhold posted:

I've gone from 'Kickstarter what a stupid idea.' to 'Kickstarter is now a part of my monthly gaming budget'.

Every month there's at least one project that I go from having a vague interest in to obsessively following and having to find reasons not to donate more.

How many of those have paid off yet? My gaming budget for this month is absolutely blown now already ("I'm looking at this Grand King tier as an investment, honey. I'll totally resell the cards later.")

I'm not sure if bookmarking this thread was the best idea I've had all year or the worst.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Darkhold posted:

Wow that has to be some of the worst tiers I've ever seen. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to kick in for this one but if I do there's no way in hell I'd do anything but the $20 one.

Doesn't look like it's going to hurt their funding but man that's pretty cheap/shoddy.

Might be a little blow-back from getting burned on the cost of backer rewards on Broken Age.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People bring that up but it's not true, they weren't burned by the backer rewards. They actually completely anticipated them and all the costs fell exactly within what they expected them to be, and all that stuff was handled really well.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Darkhold posted:

I assume they'll see what they can get away with at first then see what else they can add in (like other Kickstarters have done) to entice more backers as it progresses. At least that would be smart thing to do if they've been talking to InXile and Obsidian. The approach I've taken is the same as I've done on other gaming Kickstarts: pick the highest amount I'd be willing to go to then adjust later as updates are released.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 30, 2013

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

They might not be the best tiers, but they're a lot easier to read.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

How many of those have paid off yet? My gaming budget for this month is absolutely blown now already ("I'm looking at this Grand King tier as an investment, honey. I'll totally resell the cards later.")

I'm not sure if bookmarking this thread was the best idea I've had all year or the worst.
Well if you're talking tangible rewards not many. I got an Xpack for Defense Grid and a free copy of The Bard's Tale. Also the sick obsession of following several projects (my wife keeps saying I get my money's worth out of just watching the kickstarters).

In theory I'll be getting
Shadowrun Returns next month.
Dragon Commander In July
Wasteland 2 in Oct
2 copies of Divinity Original Sin in Nov
Defense Grid 2 2014
Project Eternity 2014?
Torment 2015?
2 copies of Stonehearth 2014?

The few I wasn't sure about I paid the minimum because a game would have to be pretty awful not to get at least $15-$20 of fun out of it. On the ones where I was a little more confident I usually paid a bit more for extras that I typically didn't even care about just to give the developer more cash.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
The Massive Chalice tiers do seem a little lacking, though I would assume they looked at what levels people actually backed Broken Age at and based them off that. Making the tiers less confusing is also a plus, but I wonder if not having extra tiers (even if hardly anyone chooses them) could have a negative impact on the number of backers. In any case I backed it at the $20 tier because it sounds like exactly the sort of game I would like to play and also Brad Muir :D.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
They handled Broken Age's rewards reasonably well, but it was still a huge chunk of money and I'm willing to bet they didn't full account (versus their stretch goals) for how much it would take off the top when the Kickstarter blew past into the millions. Or they could just be looking at how avoiding having to deal with too many physical rewards to focus more cash on just the game and may be ready to offer more tiers if it looks like they might be floundering a bit without them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nickoten posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening's way of handling the concept is totally different from what they're describing. If we're going to draw such a broad comparison we may as well go back to Dragon Quest V and Phantasy Star III.

The way they talked about how your dead units leave behind something for the future reminded more of how Monster Rancher handles death for some reason, even though that's an entirely different genre. I think it was how they hammered home the fact your units will die of old age so at some point you need to think ahead and get them ready for retirement/freezing them in ice until you can merge them with something else into a new unit/monster.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Massive Chalice sounds like it could be interesting. I'll probably end up throwing some money at it because I like Double Fine and have a massive man crush on Tim Schafer. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A cross between Fire Emblem and King of Dragon Pass where you get to do selective breeding Eugenics is quite possibly the best game idea I've ever heard of in my entire life.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

CommissarMega posted:

Just popping in to say that Expeditions: Conquistador has sent out its GoG, Desura, Gamer's Gate and Steam keys. It's great- like a King's Bounty that's more about managing your camp and people than going around killing things. I've been roleplaying a man out for Spain and God- now one of my followers already hates my guts, and two others are ready to lick the dirt from my boots if they can't see their faces while kissing them. It's awesome.

Is there a thread for this? I'm really interested, but it's not a game I've been following too closely.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

A cross between Fire Emblem and King of Dragon Pass where you get to do selective breeding Eugenics is quite possibly the best game idea I've ever heard of in my entire life.

The concept strongly reminds me of Agarest: Generations of War but without the dating sim elements. It was basically FFT with a story that spanned over several generations where you play the previous characters' children. (That said, it was a terrible game. Don't play it.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Great Rumbler posted:

Is there a thread for this? I'm really interested, but it's not a game I've been following too closely.

I'd like to start one, but I've only begun playing myself, so I wouldn't have much to put in an OP.

Also, it's 3 in the morning here and I really should be getting some sleep :v:

I'm also cheating like hell.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 30, 2013

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, from here it just sounds like Fire Emblem: Awakening.

It kind of reminds me of that goon kickstarter game that was not that great (banner something?)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

emoticon posted:

It kind of reminds me of that goon kickstarter game that was not that great (banner something?)

Banner Saga? It's not out yet. Later this year. The free to play thing they put out last year ruffled some feathers though, yeah.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How many of those have paid off yet? My gaming budget for this month is absolutely blown now already

Not a heck of a lot of them, but we're getting into the period that the first wave of post-doublefine KS's (which was basically when it became A Thing) are starting to pay out. I think we have another 6 months or so before we can really talk about Kickstarter success rates, but things are looking good so far.

Speaking of, Ring Runner just sent out the beta (which is just a direct link to an .exe on their website they ask backers not to share, :nyoron:) and I piddled around with it for about half an hour last night. It's pretty fun! The controls are a little floaty at first, but I think that might be partially the fault of the clunker-rear end ship you start out with. I'm still in the tutorialish portion so the game hasn't opened up yet, but there are a metric ton of achievements and extra mission goals and stuff like that already.

The writing is a little more self aware and ~zany~ than I think is ideal, featuring a snarky AI and an amnesiac straight man player character, but I don't think it takes anything away and I'm not sure how much I'm going to care about the plot anyway. I'm more interested in the multiplayer and customization stuff, which either aren't in the Beta or I'm missing something.

They also have a few first-time design choices and slightly odd UI moves. No 'back' button in menus, but I noticed by accident that mouse4 did the same thing as hitting escape.

I really need to pick up Gimbal so I can compare, but they have pretty different styles.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

I checked mine. Times are from the kickstarter end date, rounded down.

Stonehearth - Kickstarter just finished
Divinity: Original Sin - 1 month - Nothing
CONSORTIUM - 1 month - Tech demo
Torment: Tides of Numenera - 1 month - Nothing
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - 2 months - Nothing
Radio the Universe - 4 months - Nothing
Legend of Dungeon - 5 months - Multiple alpha builds
Star Citizen - 6 months - Nothing
Planetary Annihilation - 8 months - Alpha next week
Jack Houston and the Necronauts - 9 months - Nothing
Pinball Arcade: The Twilight Zone - Product recieved after 5 months
Two Guys SpaceVenture - 10 months - Nothing
Carmageddon: Reincarnation - 11 months - Nothing

Not that I think it's unreasonable for most of these to not have delivered anything yet. When they pass a year I'll be more concerned. The only one that worries me is Jack Houston as it's developing very slowly but on the other hand it's made on a shoe string so is unlikely to run out of funds. Two Guys SpaceVenture hasn't had a lot to show but looks to be further along. Carmageddon is ignoring it's backers because it made 6x as much in private investment so it just throws us a bone with a brief update once a month.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 30, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, I'm sold. I just dislike that the game is probably a year away. But I'll most likely back before the Kickstarter is over.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People are going to love Massive Chalice until it zooms in and becomes a crappy 3rd person action game for important fights.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

People are going to love Massive Chalice until it zooms in and becomes a crappy 3rd person action game for important fights.

The 'changed genre' complaint has happened in exactly one of double fine's games and that was more a problem with how the game was advertised???

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apparently Leisure Suit Larry comes out next month, but the game has already been delayed a bajillion times so who knows if it will happen again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Francois Kofko posted:

The 'changed genre' complaint has happened in exactly one of double fine's games and that was more a problem with how the game was advertised???

:thejoke:

I personally think Chalice sounds cool and am looking forward to it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I wish they had done Brazen. The PC has no monster hunter style game and the prototype they pushed out was very impressive for the development time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems like they wanted Brazen to be a slightly bigger budget game, and not a $3-4 million Kickstarter sized game. They'd basically need a publisher to be on board, or to make enough money from their own projects to be able to self fund it.