Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mans posted:

No joke, i don't think i can go back to RO2 after this. The maps and game mechanics are just too good. Why the gently caress do i want to go back to the peek-a-boo game that punishes me for attacking a point (because you have to putz around in the open for minutes even if you don't want to).

I think this was one of the issues I had with RS initially and why I compared it unfavorably to RO2, it's actually fun and therefore not as much of a RO2 game. The original was less of a game and more of an experience for me, I didn't play it for fun as much as just to experience the mechanics and such. It was actually really depressing in some ways, if it wasn't obvious by my post above.

To have a RO game actually be fun? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Here's a dumb question. I still have an 18gig Rising Storm Beta folder in steamapps/common. Can we get rid of that now?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first Red Orchestra had plenty of decent cover and the reduced aiming abilities allowed you a lot more freedom.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

InterFaced posted:

Here's a dumb question. I still have an 18gig Rising Storm Beta folder in steamapps/common. Can we get rid of that now?

Not dumb, the answer is yes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey managed to snag the deluxe edition for 10 bucks. Of course it hosed up when trying to merge RO2/RS so now I have to download it all again. Thankfully I'm getting 13MB/s on the download.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
If anyone could send me a beta invite that'd be cool:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Instrumedley/

Edit: Didn't realize it was over already.

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 31, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
Beta is over duder.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

TheBlobThing posted:

So with the influx of new players the IQ seems to have dropped sharply. Loads of shitheads who just found out they have mics and find it hilarious to sing or use voice-changer, or do the "LOL, RACISM" with endless repetitions of "SHAMEFUR DISPRAY". Also, poo poo commanders without mics.

Christ, I think I'll wait out the transition period rather than subject myself to this.

This is the best reason TO play right now. Also, if you play on the super-serious clan servers you don't get this as much, but the real fun of the game is Action Mode on the public servers.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh game the is actually fun? I didn't buy during the promotion because I thought it was RO2 all over again.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

RBX posted:

Oh game the is actually fun? I didn't buy during the promotion because I thought it was RO2 all over again.

Play it for free and find out! (If you own RO2)

I'm sure as poo poo not going to buy it, but I'll give it a looksy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just played my free rifleman games. It's honestly amazing that tripwire have physically not learned a single solitary thing from RO2. It's just a RO2 pacific reskin. Bravo tripwire. You shipped another failure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just played my free rifleman games. It's honestly amazing that tripwire have physically not learned a single solitary thing from RO2. It's just a RO2 pacific reskin. Bravo tripwire. You shipped another failure.

That's pretty disingenuous. The game has an entirely different pace and style than RO2, and it's much more action-based rather than popping out of windows.

E. Christ, you people weren't kidding. Played a couple of matches once the giant file stopped updating and it's nothing but racist jokes from start to finish. Including a lengthy discussion on whether asian women have parts of themselves slanted 90 degrees.

I want my goddamn paid beta back.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 31, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Not really. The new weapons and mechanics make it play quite differently from the original, even if it's still sharing some fundamentals. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So now that the SDK for RS has been released I was toying with the idea of making a map cause well I had fun trying to do stuff for RO2 but kinda lost interest at the time.

What would you say are good maps in RS and exactly what does make them so?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'd like to see a good sniper map. Maybe two buildings and some rubble piles divided by an impassable river.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I'd like to see a good sniper map. Maybe two buildings and some rubble piles divided by an impassable river.

Ugh.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Play it again, because it's a really different game from RO2.

Influx of new players last night kinda sucks. :-/

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

An Enormous Boner posted:

Not really. The new weapons and mechanics make it play quite differently from the original, even if it's still sharing some fundamentals. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

What parts are different then? Window peeking got replaced by rock peeking. Nothing about the gunplay, mechanics or maps made it seem a distinct separate entity from RO2.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SERPUS posted:

:suicide:

I would love to see a combined arms map. Just use T-34s and Panzer IVs from base RO2. It's not like this game is realistic as it stands.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
This is pretty good for a free game.

Too bad I still feel like I paid too much for it, RO2 Deluxe owner that I am.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What parts are different then? Window peeking got replaced by rock peeking. Nothing about the gunplay, mechanics or maps made it seem a distinct separate entity from RO2.

I have to disagree with this. I find RS to much faster paced, mostly due to the attack/defend maps instead of meeting engagements. The Japanese Banzai mechanic also encourages quick movements by the Japanese to take points in succession. Perhaps because I've been playing with a large group for friends that we are able to avoid the peek and shoot mechanics, but I've had a blast (ignoring all the aforementioned racism that sometimes plagues servers).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To draw a quantitative comparison between RO2 and RS, think about how much time you spend moving compared to sitting and sniping. RS attack/defend maps have you constantly moving up, flanking, and capping points. If you are spending the entire match sniping and you're not on defense then you are playing it wrong.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Le0 posted:

So now that the SDK for RS has been released I was toying with the idea of making a map cause well I had fun trying to do stuff for RO2 but kinda lost interest at the time.

What would you say are good maps in RS and exactly what does make them so?

The vegetation and debris\trees\rocks allows you to sneak and try different angles of approach to a problem. To me, a good RS map allows you plenty of concealed movement to those who want to do so. I also like the variety of the maps. There's areas that allow for longe range fire support but all points are composed of buildings and trenches, allowing for a wide firefight from multiple distances.

I assume making maps for RS must be much more difficult than RO2,mainly because the first game had so many maps you could base your ideas on.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well I've jumped in blind. I've been dying for a WW2 shooter recently specially as I never got to try out RO2 that much, goons put me off buying it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Its actually really fun. I enjoy it. I have no idea why people are bitching. I got it for $11 bucks and its worth it. As much as Im against what Tripwire did to RO2 they did a good job on this.

I dont know about the rest of you but I like to get paid to work. It takes time to create maps and guns ( even if they are just reskins from RO2). They helped a small dev group make some money and they got a cut too.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 1, 2013

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If you played it at all this is obviously false. The maps are so completely different it really improves the gameplay- the maps are completely full of cover, everywhere, and there are always multiple routes to an objective. The sides really are asymmetrical and yet still balanced, which I find quite amazing. Just think of how things like the flamethrower and the banzai charge mechanic change gameplay.

I really agree with whoever it was earlier in the thread who said that they just decided to go full retard on Rising Storm and it wrapped around to become fun. It's so stupid sometimes but I'm having a blast.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Well I've jumped in blind. I've been dying for a WW2 shooter recently specially as I never got to try out RO2 that much, goons put me off buying it.

That's kinda too bad. Goons seem to be mad mostly because of the features that were promised but not delivered. Which is obnoxious, granted, but the game that got released is a lot of fun, and easily the best WW2 FPS on the market.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm mostly mad about the unlocks system, the "Action" mode, servers with bots, mega zoom on iron sights, extremely steady bolt action rifles, and the way my character psychically knows when he has killed someone with a bullet so t hat he can remark on it, out loud, to himself, ruining the whole "we moved the kill messages to be a few seconds after the kill so that your eyes don't flick to the upper right every time you take a shot from long range" thing that is one of the only changes from the original RO that makes the game better rather than worse, and MkBs. But yes, being promised stuff and then not getting any of it was also not cool.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Played till 3am, switched teams multiple times(to teams that had won a round just earlier), and still couldn't join one team that could pull off a win after carrying everyone on my back. Sometimes I think I'm cursed to play with brain dead pubs

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So far really enjoying myself. Takes me back to the fun I had with the original mod.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Level design has improved by leaps and bounds. Probably the single biggest point that makes RS so much more fun than RO2.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm mostly mad about the unlocks system, the "Action" mode, servers with bots, mega zoom on iron sights, extremely steady bolt action rifles, and the way my character psychically knows when he has killed someone with a bullet so t hat he can remark on it, out loud, to himself, ruining the whole "we moved the kill messages to be a few seconds after the kill so that your eyes don't flick to the upper right every time you take a shot from long range" thing that is one of the only changes from the original RO that makes the game better rather than worse, and MkBs. But yes, being promised stuff and then not getting any of it was also not cool.

No but the maps are different. That means everything is better and tripwrire has done no wrong.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I dunno guys I'm playing Action Mode and the game doesn't seem to understand that I have no actual military training, nor do I know where anything is or what I'm doing, and I just sort of follow the running people until I get shot in the head and then have to wait another 20 seconds to do it all over again so MAYBE less realism is okay?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You're being kind of vague as to what type of military training you think the game expects of you.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rei_ posted:

I dunno guys I'm playing Action Mode and the game doesn't seem to understand that I have no actual military training, nor do I know where anything is or what I'm doing, and I just sort of follow the running people until I get shot in the head and then have to wait another 20 seconds to do it all over again so MAYBE less realism is okay?
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here - you don't understand Action mode so the solution is to make the game even more like Call of Duty? Why isn't the solution actually for you to just go play one of the dozens of games that aren't fiddly and difficult and ponderous and confusing? I say this with no malice - I don't think I'm a better person for liking games like Red Orchestra and god knows I still enjoy Quake/Counterstrike/Starsiege Tribes/etc. more, but really this is a case of "learn to play or leave instead of asking the developers to gently caress up this game by making it more like Call of Duty." Your attitude is the reason the game is half-ruined already and although I don't want to write you off completely I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say. Like, don't you already have a ton of other games that you can play if you want to do less "get shot in the head and wait 20 seconds" stuff?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Like, the only times I've seen hardcore realism military simulation work out is when it's small teams of players who all know eachother, and are all on the same page. It practically has to be a roleplaying game in the tabletop sense more than a FPS videogame. There are too many conflicting types of video game player on this market to hop onto a public server and not be upset when you run into a large percentage of the playerbase annoyed and frustrated because they can't realistically get anywhere applying what FPS videogames have been training them to do, which is be confident. You can't really be confident in this, you have to react like a terrified soldier and hide and creep and crawl and pick your shots, but you also need to be proactive enough to take risks occasionally and push forward, because both sides are full of Call of Duty players who are having my experience, which is you spawn, the game vaguely pushes you in a direction, and then you die, and you don't know how or from where. And what? I'm just supposed to go...my bad? What did I actually learn? I learned not to move, because all I know is that there are people, in that direction, I can't SEE, who are going to loving kill me, and there's 32 of them so flanking sure as hell isn't an option, and two people on my team have microphones, and when I ask for help someone calls me a loving slur, so coordinating isn't an option. So all I get to do is sit there and listen to my teammates models scream, and on the rare incident I get a loving kill, I get shot, black out, and spend ten seconds screaming OH GOD, OH GOD MY LEGS, OH GOD HELP ME, HELP ME, MOM, HELP ME at a black screen and then have to wait an additional twenty seconds to respawn.

And you better stick out this period NOW to LEARN THE GAME, because if you decide to come back in six months, you will ONLY be playing against people who have memorized this game inside and out and are basically impossible to play against.

By the way, the tutorial is GARBAGE. And I know people are going to say "well I guess this just isn't your game", but shouldn't that be a bit clearer? I watched the trailers and read the description, and I knew it was by the Killing Floor guys so I was like yeah, okay, I'll drop the 20 bucks since I was sitting on a Steam giftcard. It boasted morale and weapons and large-scale military combat, and people were talking it up on Twitter. But I had no idea it would just be THIS unforgiving, and it makes no attempt to explain that, really before I drop my twenty dollars. And yeah, I was honestly expecting Battlefield, and in this particular climate of military FPS, was I wrong to expect that? Probably, yeah. It doesn't change that it's frustrating as hell though.

edit: And the game's website and the first post in this thread just so the same stuff, the same basic loving explanation and some pretty screenshots.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 2, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's actually very simple, you get more people on the point than the enemy and capture the point and then you win. But really, this can be summed up as "I was honestly expecting Battlefield," which sucks for you but there you go. This game isn't Battlefield, it has never been Battlefield, and no matter how much they try to gently caress it up it isn't going to be battlefield. The confusion you describe in your first paragraph mostly fades when you realize 99% of the player base is too stupid to even engage in the kind of self-introspection it takes to realize that having your experience is evidence of doing something wrong and you use this newfound knowledge to just run around like a nutter shooting people in the face, but there's always going to be a lingering bit of "this game is unforgiving." Because the game is unforgiving. That is its nature. If you don't like that, fine. Then don't play the game. Play Battlefield. But lots of people like blacking out and screaming "OH GOD MY LEGS." It's an experience that not a lot of other games give, and most games don't give that experience because it's one that most people don't enjoy. Welcome to the world of niche games! Enjoy your stay, or don't.

That said, if there's anything you're confused about that the tutorial didn't explain, let us know and we can explain it. It's hardly the most complicated game in the world but you're right that it's unfriendly to new players.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Rei_'s reactions are great because they could perfectly apply to RO1 and DH.

If you give it some time you will figure out all the poo poo you're having problems with. It'll be a combination of learning the maps and also learning to 'read' enemies against the lovely foggy vision.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
Edit: I'm stupid, you need RO2.

I own RO:Ostftont. Do I get to try this out for free? If so how? I don't see any information on how to get the game for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Rei_ posted:

edit: And the game's website and the first post in this thread just so the same stuff, the same basic loving explanation and some pretty screenshots.
Holy poo poo! You actually read the op? That is a loving miracle, no one ever reads those stupid things.

About your frustrations:

1. You need to learn the maps. I've been playing RO since 2003 and I was having a hard time until I learned the maps.

2. Move from cover to cover and zig zag. Running out in the open in straight lines will get you killed.

3. Hold down T to see where and how far objectives are and press M to see the overhead map.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 2, 2013

• Locked thread