Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not sure if it's a mechanical failure or an electronic failure. Apparently the dual zone climate control in my parents' Citroën C5 has decided to simultaneously get stuck on max cooling on the driver's side and max heat on the passenger side, no matter what you do with the controls. Sure is interesting driving around with the driver wearing a big coat while the passenger wears a t-shirt :v:

French cars :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not sure if it's a mechanical failure or an electronic failure. Apparently the dual zone climate control in my parents' Citroën C5 has decided to simultaneously get stuck on max cooling on the driver's side and max heat on the passenger side, no matter what you do with the controls. Sure is interesting driving around with the driver wearing a big coat while the passenger wears a t-shirt :v:

I think this counts as within acceptable limits.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So both heat and cold still work? Yeah, acceptable.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Statistically Average, whats the problem?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sanden 709s apparently like to do that when not maintained.

(bonus question: what vehicle and year range is the one I linked installed in?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Sanden 709s apparently like to do that when not maintained.

(bonus question: what vehicle and year range is the one I linked installed in?)

1989 Jeep XJ (is the one I posted)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

1989 Jeep XJ

It looks like a 95-96 to me due to the valve cover but there isn't enough visible for me to be sure.

e: oh, you're talking about the one you linked not the one I linked. Carry on!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It looks like a 95-96 to me due to the valve cover but there isn't enough visible for me to be sure.

e: oh, you're talking about the one you linked not the one I linked. Carry on!

I never noticed much of a difference in the valve covers beyond the switch to the plastic ones in the later years, which kind of pissed me off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

In either 95 or 96 they switched to a stamped steel cover - I can't quite tell if that one I posted is steel or cast aluminum (the earlier design.)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KozmoNaut posted:

Are tornadoes a problem?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Just in time for summer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

revmoo posted:

Just in time for summer.

There's a reason they call it Freeon... :drum:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are tornadoes a problem?

I tried floating candy wrappers in cold/hot intersection, but it didn't quite work :(

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
:stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Another XJ destroyed by idiots.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Always remember to take the handbrake off before towing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

They destroyed a rare 2 door XJ at that :negative:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

On a good note that's one hell of a sturdy tailgate latch/hinge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If that is where I think it is (looks like Vermonster or some similar event) it probably was a horrible car cancer patient with almost nothing holding it together underneath. Started out as near scrap, left as scrap. No real loss.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Found some video of it, apparently it was in Quebec. Looks like a bunch of Canadians just trashing the poo poo out of old rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuvm5IBV9M

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

If that is where I think it is (looks like Vermonster or some similar event) it probably was a horrible car cancer patient with almost nothing holding it together underneath. Started out as near scrap, left as scrap. No real loss.

I was gonna say rust issues. That's the entire rear of the unibody hanging out there.
Once again, I am very glad to live in a nearly rust-free state...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Friend had this come into the shop today. Sadly it was towed there, I was really hoping it was brought in for a leak or "making a strange noise."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ford fullsize? That must have made a hell of a noise.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
There aren't enough pieces in place for me to recognize what I'm looking at :stare:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Root Bear posted:

There aren't enough pieces in place for me to recognize what I'm looking at :stare:

Transfer case.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yep. Transfer case looking from the back toward the front of the vehicle on the drivers side.

Sure looks like the (borg warner?) cases in fullsize fords, but I could be wrong. Driver side differential says it's a Ford, Jeep, 90s-later Dodge, or modern 'yota, I don't think it's a toyota because it doesn't have through-bolts on the driveshaft flanges, it sure isn't a jeep/dodge, and it looks like a ford anyhow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holy drat, when I saw the pic earlier I thought it was a blower from an odd angle, didn't notice the driveshaft coming out. :stare: indeed. I'm curious what the gently caress they were doing to break it like that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

Holy drat, when I saw the pic earlier I thought it was a blower from an odd angle, didn't notice the driveshaft coming out. :stare: indeed. I'm curious what the gently caress they were doing to break it like that.

Put it in 4wd on the highway is an easy way to do that. Had to have happened under power to produce such a dramatic case fracture.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

Yep. Transfer case looking from the back toward the front of the vehicle on the drivers side.

Sure looks like the (borg warner?) cases in fullsize fords, but I could be wrong. Driver side differential says it's a Ford, Jeep, 90s-later Dodge, or modern 'yota, I don't think it's a toyota because it doesn't have through-bolts on the driveshaft flanges, it sure isn't a jeep/dodge, and it looks like a ford anyhow.

A lot of newer Toyota's are running stud flanges now- I know the front output on my cruiser is studded and the front diff on dads old prado had studs on the flange.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From a 2008 F-550 work truck it apparently also took out some brake line and generally made a mess of everything in the immediate area.

Here's another - guess what bolts were loosened to make it "leak"

exhaust manifold

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I am no professional mechanic but I don't think liquid should be coming from the exhaust manifold like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

DEF overfull?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like the dreaded oil and water milkshake to me.
Or they overfilled the muffler bearing lube resivoir, they have lines for a reason.

Edit, def not a milkshake now that I am not on my phone

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 1, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks more like a fuckered EGR cooler.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Friend had this come into the shop today. Sadly it was towed there, I was really hoping it was brought in for a leak or "making a strange noise."
I have to wonder how many times the "solution" to this is to cut the chain, throw it, the front prop, and the remains of the front output into a skip, and jbweld a couple of old beer cans over the hole until it sort of holds oil.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's another - guess what bolts were loosened to make it "leak"

exhaust manifold
Did someone misjudge where "underwater" and "not underwater" were with respect to their intake?

Fenderbender
Oct 10, 2003

You have the right to remain silent.
pop goes the LCA frame mount

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

chryco oil pan with extra pieces

Spring popped outta its perch and the shock didnt like the weight.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No picture because I had poo poo all over my hands but I replaced my radiator/thermostate/reservoir today and the reservoir screws were non existant...it was held in with door panel christmas trees.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

Sounds like every Detroit Diesel I've ever heard.

Not really failure related; but none of our Detroit Diesels sound like that, maybe a series 60 thing? That being said you can't hear valve noise on a 71 or 53 series with no mufflers.
If I'm not mistaken aren't DPF's the exhaust filter that like to burn out that everyone hates? A lot of people I talk to seem to prefer DEF to DPF, and people that don't do a lot of diesel stuff frequently confuse the two?

Content:

This 4-53 came from a municipal backup pump. Low hours, no rebuilds. we were promised it would fire right up. When you service a Detroit Diesel the first thing you do is pull the valve cover and check the injectors and fuel rack. We found out that the municipality had likely given the engine to a high school to teach kids that big engines have big parts. The carriage bolts and head bolts were lose and the fuel rack was detached. We have removed the injectors to free them up because the engine sat for a few years.

Here is a picture to better understand the fuel rack people often talk about with Detroit Diesels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CBD posted:

Not really failure related; but none of our Detroit Diesels sound like that, maybe a series 60 thing? That being said you can't hear valve noise on a 71 or 53 series with no mufflers.
If I'm not mistaken aren't DPF's the exhaust filter that like to burn out that everyone hates? A lot of people I talk to seem to prefer DEF to DPF, and people that don't do a lot of diesel stuff frequently confuse the two?

Content:

This 4-53 came from a municipal backup pump. Low hours, no rebuilds. we were promised it would fire right up. When you service a Detroit Diesel the first thing you do is pull the valve cover and check the injectors and fuel rack. We found out that the municipality had likely given the engine to a high school to teach kids that big engines have big parts. The carriage bolts and head bolts were lose and the fuel rack was detached. We have removed the injectors to free them up because the engine sat for a few years.

Here is a picture to better understand the fuel rack people often talk about with Detroit Diesels.

http://youtu.be/BpY66IXyr1A

Yeah I was kinda making a joke about the model 60.