Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I guess I'm going blind cause it looks blood red to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

It looks pretty dark red to me too. Y'know, almost like burgundy :v:.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Definitely burgundy. It's nowhere close to either a blood red or a dark pink.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

If you want a dark, bloody red and can find it, the Montblanc Hitchcock red is sublime. I've been meaning to buy some more (I believe it's limited production) since I gifted my bottle to a friend. Shades very well and ends up a nice, clotted bloody looking red on the paper. Works way better with a wider nib too.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I'm a sucker for Noodler's Red-Black. I think this image captures its tone quite well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

I'm not sure how well it came out in the photo, but the feed is pretty misaligned on my Ahab, and the drat thing works pretty well. Still rather wish I had remembered to fix that when I was cleaning it.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Vitamins posted:

Obligatory Toast, how is that Ahab you're using? I decided Noodler's Turquoise Eel is my favourite ink ever now and I've been curious about the Ahab for a while. I thought as long as I was gonna put an order in to the Goulets I'd take an opportunity to maybe get a new pen too :getin:

Edit: Also, recommending Aurora Black as the perfect black. It's a completely neutral black which is nice and is extremely black which makes a change compared to most black inks.

It's nice, but the nib and feed can both be finicky as poo poo. There are threads online that show how you can basically mod it with a dremel tool. Getting the steel nib from GP basically turned something that was a novelty into something I will probably use a lot more.

RustedChrome posted:

It looks like a dark pink to me in that pic.

Ugh, it's crimson you nerds.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you guys are willing to go a little more into the land of red-browns, Iroshizuku Tsukushi is a crazy good-looking ink that shades wonderfully and is somehow still formal enough to cut it in office settings.

I waver between using it and Fuyu-shogun all the drat time.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kessel posted:

If you guys are willing to go a little more into the land of red-browns, Iroshizuku Tsukushi is a crazy good-looking ink that shades wonderfully and is somehow still formal enough to cut it in office settings.
That's what I'm using at the moment, too. I wouldn't call it particularly red, but it's a lovely brown.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
New toy time!
My Platinum Celluloid Green 3776 with broad nib is my very favorite pen. I've wanted to try another Platinum and I snagged this Black 3776 with Music Nib on ebay for a decent price. I've wanted to try a music nib as well. In the little bit I've tested it, it's silky smooth like the other is but lays down a wider line. It doesn't really have the line variation like an italic or stub, it's more like a European broad, or maybe Japanese double broad. So far I'm pleased with the purchase.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

quote:

Uhh, this is confusing 'cause mine seems like a pretty dark red:

quote:

It looks like a dark pink to me in that pic.

quote:

I guess I'm going blind cause it looks blood red to me.

quote:

It looks pretty dark red to me too. Y'know, almost like burgundy .

I find your lack of screen calibration... disturbing.
Go buy a colorimeter and a cheap IPS monitor :eng101:

That said, Montblanc inks look best if your pen writes a very wet line and turn out pretty meh otherwise.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

blowfish posted:

I find your lack of screen calibration... disturbing.
Go buy a colorimeter and a cheap IPS monitor :eng101:

That said, Montblanc inks look best if your pen writes a very wet line and turn out pretty meh otherwise.

But I'm not looking at it on a screen. :confused:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Xachariah posted:

But I'm not looking at it on a screen. :confused:

But everyone else is.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Platinum pens look awesome. I just wish I had use for a music nib. Anything larger than a medium is way too big for me. :(

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Xovaan posted:

The Platinum pens look awesome. I just wish I had use for a music nib. Anything larger than a medium is way too big for me. :(

I feel for you... I might buy a music nib to play with at some point, but anything broader than a fine nib is too much for my note taking which is 90% of what I need a pen for.

Oh yes, and they're quite affordable! Make sure to order them from Japan directly on rakuten - even accounting for import duties, my orders have ended up being cheaper than EU/US pen shops. I think I saw Platinum 3776s (with 14K nibs and the slip seal cap) on sale for ~$60-70 two months ago.

One of these days, I'll have to review the Pilot desk pens, probably after I have tried the full lineup... These things are almost indestructible (believe me, I've tried...) and they're amazingly comfortable to use for extended periods. 14K nibbed DP-500 versions will set you back ~$40 plus shipping, which is half of what you'd pay on ebay and amazingly cheap for a gold nibbed pen :woop:!

e: I forgot to mention that Pilot inks are supposed to be much less expensive than they usually are.
almost $30 for a small bottle of ink? :suicide:
$10? much better...

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 31, 2013

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Welp, looks like I finally can't justify not having Iroshizuku inks! Adding this to the OP.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

Welp, looks like I finally can't justify not having Iroshizuku inks! Adding this to the OP.

I don't think this is wise. The shipping rates look like they'll knock it back up to about what it normally costs here, and also they don't tell you what you'll be charged, just have a chart of rates based on grams, and I'm not sure how much the package will weigh...so...it could be more expensive...the minimum is about 12 bucks for 300 grams, and then 15 bucks for 1.10 pounds. Also no idea how long it'll take to ship from Japan.

Also just buy some of the ink, it's great and ink last so drat long anyway.

Edit: We really need someone who's going to Japan anyway with space in a checked bagged for ink...an ink mule.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 31, 2013

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

Cool! Shipping costs from Japan can be non-trivial so don't just order a single glass of ink and nothing else (I paid ~$30 shipping for 2 inks and 3 pens).

Also, you can never justify not having Iroshizuku inks! Asa-Gao and Kon-Peki are awesome shades of blue that actually look like the vivid shade on the label instead of being dull on paper once they've dried (Pelikan/Montblanc, I'm looking at you :argh:).

e:

Brightman posted:

I don't think this is wise. The shipping rates look like they'll knock it back up to about what it normally costs here, and also they don't tell you what you'll be charged, just have a chart of rates based on grams, and I'm not sure how much the package will weigh...so...it could be more expensive...the minimum is about 12 bucks for 300 grams, and then 15 bucks for 1.10 pounds. Also no idea how long it'll take to ship from Japan.

Also just buy some of the ink, it's great and ink last so drat long anyway.

The shop I linked uses express shipping which takes about a week to Germany (including the time customs take to mail me about having to pay them when collecting the shipment). As I said, if you buy more than a single cheap item, it'll probably worth it. The order I mentioned above ended up costing about 140€/$180 including shipping and customs duties. Ordering from any English language-shop (the pens from an ebay.com who mails them from Japan, since desk pens aren't sold anywhere else) would have set me back ~$300 plus shipping and duties and would have probably ended up being in the region of $350.

Overall, I think the advantages of ordering on rakuten are greatest for non-US goons since the wacky stuff is even harder to get in Europe, but depending on what you're ordering it can still be worthwhile in the US

quote:

Edit: We really need someone who's going to Japan anyway with space in a checked bagged for ink...an ink mule.

Yes, we definitely do :haw:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 31, 2013

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Brightman posted:

I have a few hours layover there next week. Time to scour the mall-like airport terminal!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Brightman posted:

When I went last spring I got several bottles of Iroshizuku for the equivalent of 15 USD at Tokyu Hands. The exchange rate is loads better now. I need to go back soon.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I just got back from Goulet warehouse. Got my Goulet #6 Fine nib and a bunch of samples that I'm excited to try. The Goulet nibs are really great. The Fine actually has a slightly wider line than I was expecting (about the same as an unflexed Noodler's Flex line is), but I'll admit that I don't have a whole lot of experience with different nib sizes.

If you're in or around the Richmond/Ashland area at all, I'd really recommend doing a pick-up at the Goulet warehouse next time you order from them. Everyone is super nice and more than ready to answer any questions you might have. And I got a tootsie pop from them :3:

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

DurianGray posted:

I just got back from Goulet warehouse. Got my Goulet #6 Fine nib and a bunch of samples that I'm excited to try. The Goulet nibs are really great. The Fine actually has a slightly wider line than I was expecting (about the same as an unflexed Noodler's Flex line is), but I'll admit that I don't have a whole lot of experience with different nib sizes.

If you're in or around the Richmond/Ashland area at all, I'd really recommend doing a pick-up at the Goulet warehouse next time you order from them. Everyone is super nice and more than ready to answer any questions you might have. And I got a tootsie pop from them :3:

I wonder if isellpens does something similar I live about 20 minutes from the address on the website. Got my twsbi 580, very very cool and the pen is smooth, going to take a little getting used too. I made a huge mess of the ink the HOD bottle doesn't pour very well into the ink well. Kind of a weird question, I live in Phoenix so it gets hot as hell here, are there any issues with extreme heat and leaving these pens in a backpack in my car? Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hmm, maybe Jetpens will let me do that... I'm about a 12-minute drive from them here in the bay area.

Edit: Aww, balls :saddowns:

quote:

Where are you located?
Our warehouse is located in the beautiful Bay Area of Northern California. We do not have a physical storefront, we are an online store only.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

DurianGray posted:

One day I'll do this.

But right now, I do not feel like traveling an hour on i-95 south for any reason.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
So, after my Ahab fell tip first into the ground and got a really good bend in it, I decided I missed the flex nib and that I wanted to buy another. I went with a Konrad this time, since I thought the slimmer profile would be nice, and the window to see the ink was a plus too. Also, I thought it just looked nice.

I've had very mixed feelings about it since then. I still like the flex nib, even if it is a little more stiff than I'd like, but the pen is designed a little oddly. If you look at the red cap at the end, twisting that off exposes the knob to turn the piston to fill the pen. Twisting the cap in a slightly different way will unscrew the entire piston system, giving you another way to fill the pen up.

However, not having the piston screwed in right will leave an air gap, and result in all the ink dripping right out of your pen. So the normal use of the cap to cover and uncover the piston knob can also result in your pen being set to unexpectedly spewing ink everywhere. This already happened to me once in the first week of using it. It sat around for awhile then until I decided I'd throw some silicone grease in the threads for unscrewing the piston to help the seal, and hope for the best.

I still like it, but unfortunately I still have a lot of trepidation taking it anywhere, lest I end up with a huge mess and no pen again.

shadysight fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 2, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got knocked overboard today and took an unintended swim with my Alstar in the long island sound :negative: Cleared it out, did a full flush and clean. hopefully the salt exposure won't mess it up too bad.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 2, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

shadysight posted:

I've had very mixed feelings about it since then. I still like the flex nib, even if it is a little more stiff than I'd like, but the pen is designed a little oddly. If you look at the red cap at the end, twisting that off exposes the knob to turn the piston to fill the pen. Twisting the cap in a slightly different way will unscrew the entire piston system, giving you another way to fill the pen up.

However, not having the piston screwed in right will leave an air gap, and result in all the ink dripping right out of your pen. So the normal use of the cap to cover and uncover the piston knob can also result in your pen being set to unexpectedly spewing ink everywhere. This already happened to me once in the first week of using it. It sat around for awhile then until I decided I'd throw you silicone grease in the threads for unscrewing the piston to help the seal, and hope for the best.

I still like it, but unfortunately I still have a lot of trepidation taking it anywhere, lest I end up with a huge mess and no pen again.

I have a couple of Konrads, an ebonite and a resin model, and I've never experienced this with either. They are always in my soft pen case so I hope I don't open it one day to see an ink massacre!

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

RustedChrome posted:

I have a couple of Konrads, an ebonite and a resin model, and I've never experienced this with either. They are always in my soft pen case so I hope I don't open it one day to see an ink massacre!

I'm glad to hear someone else has had better experiences. Searching for a solution to my problem was a little like searching through WebMD. I got to hear all about the things that had gone wrong with Konrads.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Like any web forum on any subject, 1 person with a problem will make more noise than 1000 without.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

shadysight posted:

I'm glad to hear someone else has had better experiences. Searching for a solution to my problem was a little like searching through WebMD. I got to hear all about the things that had gone wrong with Konrads.

My Konrad has a tight hold with the threads for the piston as well. My best advice for yours would be to (carefully) put a small amount of shellac or the like on those threads to hold them in place. You'll need a heat gun or a warm bath to undo it again, but it's not something you should need to do often at all.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone used the Noodler's Ink White Whale to create blends? I'm tempted to buy some and experiment with mixing it with their Red-Black or Antietam to find a nice correspondence color.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got to chat a little about fountain pens with one of the just-graduated students who volunteers with our agency today. :3: He's planning to use them for note taking in college so I gave him some links and pulled out my tiny collection of sub-:10bux: pens for him to try out, because he was using a Zebra V-301 and having problems with it skipping.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SnakesRevenge posted:

Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.
Oh crazy, I was wondering why there was a second one. Notes on the 700: 1. holy hell it holds a lot of ink. 2. it writes so smoothly compared to my Diamond 530. I THINK they're both M nibs. I haven't tried the Jowo one.

I've been using a Sailor Demonstrator since I lost my 2000, but I'm not crazy about the fine nib. It's been very nice and incredibly reliable however. Even after left for a few weeks writes great without any coaxing. It's always filled with Diamine Washable Blue. (To prevent staining it.)

The cap on my 530 broke, and Twsbi sent me a new one, but it was for the 540 which doesn't fit properly. I assume they just don't have 530 parts anymore since I specified that clearly.

...now to try out the Micarta!

edit: :swoon:

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 4, 2013

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Rodney Chops fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 4, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd post a pic reply but my phone is currently sitting next to me, completely broken. :argh:

Plumix can take both the CON-20 and CON-50 converters. The CON-20 holds more ink but the CON-50 is a very nice twist converter. I personally enjoy filling pens and found the added ink reservoir of the 20 doesn't make up for not seeing how much ink I have left, which is another bonus of the 50 and would accompany the transparency of the Plumix nicely.

I'd go for the CON-50.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Ordered the con-50, thanks for clearing that up xovaan.

Agenti
Oct 30, 2005
Are you wearing space pants? 'Cuz your ass is out of this world.
What's the deal with getting inky fingers? I have two fountain pens, a really nice Pelikan Souveran that I got as a gift, and a rather cheap Waterman. Here's the thing, I almost always end up getting ink on my finger tips when writing with my nice pen, meanwhile almost never with my cheap one. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's completely normal and is likely just residual ink after a fillup. Also, ink on fingers owns and is part of the craft. :smaug:

Sweet pen, by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2022