Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I've been to a place out on Buford Highway (duh), but I can't for the life of me remember where it is or what its called. I'll ask some friends.

If it just north of 285 on the right in a run down strip mall, it is probably hae woon dae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

mindphlux posted:

it's funny, I was just coming to this thread to ask you guys the same thing. my mom and lil bro are in town tonight visiting and my brother is sort of picky about food. I think he always likes korean bbq though, so was gonna go somewhere this evening.

hae woon dae is my favorite, but not out of any sort of meaningful pickiness. they're open all hours, aren't unreasonably priced, use real charcoal for their bbq, service always is nice, I've never disliked anything.

that said though, I've only tried 4-5 bbq places. things that immediately get you disqualified in my book : not doing tableside grilling. Woo nam jeong has good tasting bbq, but the fact that they cook it in the back is no fun. Also not having beer is a cardinal sin. Finally I think over $25 per portion is a bit cheeky, as is disappointing banchan.

anyways, I'd love to branch out from my hae woon dae, so I'll be googling a bit this afternoon. if any of yall have suggestions, would love to hear them!

Hae Woon Dae is my go-to Korean BBQ restaurant for all of the same reasons. I've been a few others, but none of them have stacked up.

I've tried one of the all you can eat places (I think it may have been Honey Pig), but I don't like having exclusively samgyeapsol for my meal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yeah, it was Hae Woon Dae. I should find an excuse to go back.

Does anyone know of any good Hot Pot places in town?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Honey Pig isn't all you can eat. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow me away. I usually go to Iron Age (all you can eat) with friends. Never been to Hae Woon Dae, but I should probably heck it out.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Cho Son Ook is mine. Been going there for years, the sweet little Korean ladies know me, and they love me and give me free bottles of Soju. Don't judge me!

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

jooky posted:

Honey Pig isn't all you can eat. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow me away. I usually go to Iron Age (all you can eat) with friends. Never been to Hae Woon Dae, but I should probably heck it out.

You're right, Iron Age was the AYCE place I went to. Reminded me a little bit of Los Angeles Korean BBQ places, but it really wasn't all that great.

Like mindphlux said, I think it's the only Korean BBQ place in the Atlanta area that actually uses hot coals, rather than gas. It's really something.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Oh! My SamGyupSal is what my friends say is the best over HoneyPig (which recently turned AYCE I believe) and Iron Age.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
On the subject of Korean BBQ, the AYCE Korean BBQ at 678 was in CL's recent 100 Dishes list: http://clatl.com/atlanta/all-you-can-eat-korean-barbecue-combo-at-678/Content?oid=8024405

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Damnit, this thread made me crave Korean tonight. Since I didn't really know where to go, we ended up at Cho Dang Tofu House on Buford Hwy. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cho-dang-tofu-house-atlanta

No frills interior, food was great and cheap as hell. We were craving stone-bowls, otherwise I may of tried that BBQ place you guys talked about one block away (can someone post a menu of it?).

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

If we wanted to do another restaurant meetup, I'm pretty sure I could arrange that at The General Muir and Community Q.

I would be game for either one of these places.

I might could arrange something for the SA Supper Club at Table and Main in Roswell. A friend of a friend is the chef.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

York_M_Chan posted:

I would be game for either one of these places.

I might could arrange something for the SA Supper Club at Table and Main in Roswell. A friend of a friend is the chef.

Love Table & Main. I live just around the corner. Ryan is awesome.

(Hello I never post in the thread but have been lurking forever and enjoy food)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, it was Hae Woon Dae. I should find an excuse to go back.

Does anyone know of any good Hot Pot places in town?

I love Cafe 101 (Buford Highway, duh) to death. In college my Chinese History professor (from Taiwan) took our class and I haven't been anywhere else for hot pot since.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Holy gently caress this thread is amazing. I've been around Atlanta for a while, but don't know very much about local dining/good places to go. When I go out, I actually want to go out and not to some lovely chain, but I didn't know what local stuff was good or bad!

So, thanks ATL goons! You've made one happy DicktheCat!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DicktheCat posted:

Holy gently caress this thread is amazing. I've been around Atlanta for a while, but don't know very much about local dining/good places to go. When I go out, I actually want to go out and not to some lovely chain, but I didn't know what local stuff was good or bad!

So, thanks ATL goons! You've made one happy DicktheCat!

:) glad so many people have picked up on this thread. I really feel like the Atlanta dining scene has come a longggg way in the past 10 years - hopefully continued enthusiasm will only improve it further. every fork counts!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

:) glad so many people have picked up on this thread. I really feel like the Atlanta dining scene has come a longggg way in the past 10 years - hopefully continued enthusiasm will only improve it further. every fork counts!

Agreed. I'm pleasantly surprised by all the new creativity in the Atlanta scene. I went to Seven Lamps in Buckhead a couple of nights ago, awesome food and great portion sizes (farm-table, organic, craft cocktails, etc). Miller Union is on my to-try for list next week if I can swing it.

deep13
Jan 2, 2013
Just found out my in-laws are coming up tomorrow for Mother's day brunch - any recommendations? Preferably someplace where we won't have to wait three hours to get a table for six.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

deep13 posted:

Just found out my in-laws are coming up tomorrow for Mother's day brunch - any recommendations? Preferably someplace where we won't have to wait three hours to get a table for six.

Ria's Bluebird.

fake edit: j/k There's a very nice place near my house that no one knows about for Sunday brunch, with never a wait. Although, I would call for reservations for six: http://www.havenrestaurant.com/default.htm I don't understand how decent brunch places get so drat busy...

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Is there a sushi restaurant in Atlanta that's known to serve uni? I've tried to order it at a couple different places and each time, they've been out of it.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I had a chance to visit We Suki Suki in East Atlanta Village yesterday (right across from The Earl). I've never had any other Bahn Mi before, but this was pretty drat good. I had the classic Dac Biet and iced coffee for about six dollars. All the ingredients are extremely fresh, to the point that when I ordered Dac Biet 'regular' spicy, she chopped up a small jalapeno and put it on the sandwich. (The guy in line in front of me ordered it hot, and she sliced up a chili pepper right then and there). The owner was working there, full of energy and chatting up a storm. I think they do a lot of larger pick-up orders, since there were two other women with grocery bags stuffed with wrapped sandwiches.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so small. It's almost literally a hole in the wall, as there's only two stools and one bench if you want to eat in, and room for maybe three people standing in line at the register. Yelp says that they're open until 5, but I asked yesterday and she said they'd be open until 8 that night, so I'm thinking that's a little outdated.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lambeth posted:

Is there a sushi restaurant in Atlanta that's known to serve uni? I've tried to order it at a couple different places and each time, they've been out of it.

They've had it every time I've gotten it at taka, shoya izakaya, and sushi yoko... I'm not sure if I've ordered it at other restaurants, those three just come to mind.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Simon Draskovic posted:

I had a chance to visit We Suki Suki in East Atlanta Village yesterday (right across from The Earl). I've never had any other Bahn Mi before, but this was pretty drat good.

I've never been to We Suki Suki, but, for me, banh mi is just about the most delicious food item. If you're interested in other banh mi, hit up Buford Highway (particularly between Clairmont and 285). There are a bunch of good places for banh mi there. My favorite is Quoc Huong, but there are other good ones like Pho Viet, Viet Tofu, and Pho Bac. (Anyone whose opinion is that Lee's is the best is objectively wrong :colbert:).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but how do you account for items you've been comped when you're tipping?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but how do you account for items you've been comped when you're tipping?

I usually just tip closer to 25 or 30% instead of 20% personally... Why, what do you do - or what came up that makes you ask?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I usually just tip closer to 25 or 30% instead of 20% personally... Why, what do you do - or what came up that makes you ask?

I often get stuff comped at the places where I'm a regular customer. It is usually things like free drinks, or free dessert, or occasionally an extra side or something new that the chef gives me. On rarer occasions, it will be the entire meal or I'll just be charged $5 for my entire meal. Usually I just add to the tip the full amount of what I've been comped, so if I've been given a free $5 dessert, I'll usually add around $5 to the base tip. I was just wondering what others do.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I often get stuff comped at the places where I'm a regular customer. It is usually things like free drinks, or free dessert, or occasionally an extra side or something new that the chef gives me. On rarer occasions, it will be the entire meal or I'll just be charged $5 for my entire meal. Usually I just add to the tip the full amount of what I've been comped, so if I've been given a free $5 dessert, I'll usually add around $5 to the base tip. I was just wondering what others do.

nice, that's some serious cred. I get an industry discount at RE/H&F, and a couple vietnamese places remember my order - but that's probably the closest I ever get to comped. :< do you like schmoose with the staff, or just eat at the same places a *whole* lot or what? or I guess just being a charming lad might be enough... :)

I haven't ever read 'eater', but this list is pretty good. I should probably just put this in the OP. http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/09/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-april-13.php

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I was a server at a few Atlanta places back in the day... I usually tip even more than usual, than if I paid its full price, when comped. Then the servers/bartenders will continue to comp you in the future because of your kind tip :)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

nice, that's some serious cred. I get an industry discount at RE/H&F, and a couple vietnamese places remember my order - but that's probably the closest I ever get to comped. :< do you like schmoose with the staff, or just eat at the same places a *whole* lot or what? or I guess just being a charming lad might be enough... :)

It is probably a combination of things.

First, I'm a fat, ugly bastard, so I stick out. I occasionally get recognized at restaurants I've only been to once or twice before, and since the server/manager recognizes me, I think they assume I've been there a bunch more times than I actually have and treat me accordingly.

I also dine alone nearly all the time, so a bartender/server/manager/chef might be more inclined to chat when they come by since I'm obviously not occupied by conversation. I also typically dine at off peak times, so the bartender/server/manager/chef probably also isn't as busy, which may make them more inclined to chat.

I also typically tip very well when I've received good service. I have tremendous respect for people who work in restaurants. They work so many hours on their feet, at job I would wash out from in a day or two. I have a cushy and well-paying job where I work something like 35 hours a week. Restaurant people work so much harder than I do (not that I don't put effort into my job, but it isn't the same physical effort and hours), and provide me the thing I most enjoy in life, so I want to give back in some way.

When I can, I may also try to thank the people in the kitchen because I really appreciate what they do, and while I assume compliments from patrons trickle their way back to the kitchen via the servers, I like to communicate my pleasure face-to-face when I can. A chef friend of mine said that he thought many chefs do what they do because they like to make people happy through food, so if that is true, I would like those chefs and other kitchen crew to know that they've done so.

I also imagine that my passion for and interest in food is evident when I talk with these people, and that they, and chefs in particular, appreciate that. Chefs also seems to like it when you "get" what they're trying to do with their food, whether that be to mix influences from multiple cuisines, breath new life into old dishes, or whatever. So, again, I imagine there is a mutual appreciation of each others' part in the dining experience.

So basically it breaks down to being a regular, tipping well, and talking to the people while demonstrating an appreciation of their work. I guess you could call it schmoozing, but that would seem to imply that the conversations with the restaurant people are superficial and selfishly motivated (i.e. the only interest being getting free food), and I really am interested in and greatly appreciative of their work.

I don't mean to imply that I walk into a whole bunch of different restaurants and get some super-special treatment like I'm some sort of big deal. There are just a handful of places where I'm a regular and known to the staff, and get above standard treatment. Typically that is free drinks or dessert, or the chef wanting to serve me something in particular (I love when the chef says something like "I've got something new I'd like you to try"). Every once in a while that will turn into $5 or completely comped meals.

mindphlux posted:

I haven't ever read 'eater', but this list is pretty good. I should probably just put this in the OP. http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/09/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-april-13.php

Eater's lists have been surprisingly good since they started covering Atlanta. I believe the first head/editor of Eater Atlanta was Jennifer Zyman, who used to write The Blissful Glutton food blog (which was in my estimation the best ATL food blog) and has and (I think) still writes for Creative Loafing and/or the AJC. When people are new to town or visiting for a few days and ask me for recommendations, I typically mention a few of my favorite places and tell them to look at the Eater lists.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This thread is amazing. I'm in Marietta and looking to branch out beyond my normal "hey guys, let's meet at the Marietta Diner" call to arms, though I think my friend circle might be opposed to change. I'm up for trying new stuff, though, so thanks for this!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wowowow

I just searched for 'döner' for unrelated reasons, and google popped this magical bullet up on my radar.

http://fdoner.com/frankfurt-doner-menu/

I'm extremely passionate about german style döner, having lived there for a couple years. Anyone given this a try?

The pictures don't really look promising, but someone with the balls to name their place 'frankfurt döner' has at least gotta be confident about what they're offering. and in Georgia no less!

I have a work client in Woodstock, next time I'm up there I think I'll have to give it a try...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What is the best market in Atlanta for buying fish for sushi or sashimi

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

The pictures don't really look promising
Oh, something so covered in ketchup that it's barely visible? Surely looks European to me, or at least Slovakian. We have family there and they do you a "favor" by drowning your plate in ketchup first. At least with sausage and fry bread.

I would certainly try their döner.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

mindphlux posted:

wowowow

I just searched for 'döner' for unrelated reasons, and google popped this magical bullet up on my radar.

http://fdoner.com/frankfurt-doner-menu/

I'm extremely passionate about german style döner, having lived there for a couple years. Anyone given this a try?

The pictures don't really look promising, but someone with the balls to name their place 'frankfurt döner' has at least gotta be confident about what they're offering. and in Georgia no less!

I have a work client in Woodstock, next time I'm up there I think I'll have to give it a try...

The currywurst is two sausages with ketchup and curry powder on top. Definitely keep expectations low, hahaha.

There's actually a place in Athens that does a decent job of döner, but it's not exactly right. Just good enough that I have no problems eating there if I'm on that side of town and want something quick.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
So my brother is turning 21 in a couple weeks. He'd like to go to a nice French restaurant for his birthday. We live in the north Fulton suburbs but aren't averse to traveling towards Atlanta for it. Any suggestions?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

two forty posted:

So my brother is turning 21 in a couple weeks. He'd like to go to a nice French restaurant for his birthday. We live in the north Fulton suburbs but aren't averse to traveling towards Atlanta for it. Any suggestions?

la petite maison is pretty decent and family run in sandy springs...

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Le Petite Maison is good stuff.

I also like Atmosphere- the veal liver reminds me of my time in France. Lots of less organ meat options if you are pathetic and unworthy. It's on Piedmont near Monroe Drive.

Also, Bistro Niko is tasty, but suffers from many of the faults that Buckhead Life restaurants tend to. Perhaps less so than some others I could think of.

Also, Cafe Lapin is not showy, but drat good food. Great breakfast, too. It's in Peachtree Battle shopping center.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 18, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Centurium posted:

Le Petite Maison is good stuff.

I also like Atmosphere- the veal liver reminds me of my time in France. Lots of less organ meat options if you are pathetic and unworthy. It's on Piedmont near Monroe Drive.

Also, Bistro Niko is tasty, but suffers from many of the faults that Buckhead Life restaurants tend to. Perhaps less so than some others I could think of.

Also, Cafe Lapin is not showy, but drat good food. Great breakfast, too. It's in Peachtree Battle shopping center.

I went to atmosphere last night actually, I was refreshingly impressed. I had just assumed it was good, but it actually was really good - everything was executed really well. We had some french onion soup, salmon, escargot, veal liver, and an apple tarte - all things that could easily go one way or the other, but I don't think I had any complaints at all. The veal liver was easily the best (cow) liver I've ever had, anywhere. (though very thinly sliced, and slightly breaded and absolutely drenched in salty garlic butter, so pretty much a gimme)

I live next to cafe lapin, and have only been once, but my experience was a little less than stellar. The food felt like geriatric hotel food mostly. Underseasoned, served with a side of blanched veg, etc. But again, I've only been once - I should give it another try for sure.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

two forty posted:

Babette's on North Highland is pretty tasty, and not too expensive. It's across from Manuel's.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I went to atmosphere last night actually, I was refreshingly impressed. I had just assumed it was good, but it actually was really good - everything was executed really well. We had some french onion soup, salmon, escargot, veal liver, and an apple tarte - all things that could easily go one way or the other, but I don't think I had any complaints at all. The veal liver was easily the best (cow) liver I've ever had, anywhere. (though very thinly sliced, and slightly breaded and absolutely drenched in salty garlic butter, so pretty much a gimme)

I live next to cafe lapin, and have only been once, but my experience was a little less than stellar. The food felt like geriatric hotel food mostly. Underseasoned, served with a side of blanched veg, etc. But again, I've only been once - I should give it another try for sure.

Funny you mention it, last time I went we had some underseasoned food. My omelet was as well executed as always. I feel like I'm becoming less and less tolerant of bad texture in an omelet. I'm becoming an egg snob. Also eating there infrequently because, well Jaliscos. I'm not sure I can tell you why I love it so much, I just do.

And I live pretty darn close to cafe lapin myself. Whoa. People on the internet? Near me?

Anybody been to http://www.derbiergarten.com/biergarten/files/7213/6985/9151/DBG%20Menu.pdf ? Other suggestions for german food? I have a craving for schnitzel.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Centurium posted:

Anybody been to http://www.derbiergarten.com/biergarten/files/7213/6985/9151/DBG%20Menu.pdf ? Other suggestions for german food? I have a craving for schnitzel.

Yep, I have gone there 5 or 6 times for fußball/soccer matches. most recently a couple weeks ago to watch my team lose the champions league. :(

the food is really solid, if a little boring. if you're in the mood for typical bavarian-ish food though, it's great. the schweinhaxe is *stellar*. Also ordering liter beers is nice.

ps Biscayne repppresent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
They have really good mustard and pretzels