Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

astr0man posted:

Got an interview in 20 minutes. I hope I can stay awake through it :v:. I've been up since 330 this morning because this company booked me on a super early flight to come out to Virginia.

Edit: Nailed it :toot:

Nice man. I have a similar worry about my job interview coming up, the flight leaves at 7:05 which means I need to be at the airport by 6 which means I need to be awake by 5, and I'm used to being in bed by 2 or 3. Best case scenario I get 4 hours of sleep on my 4 1/2 hour flight, and I'm still deficient.

I'm sitting here trying on dress shirts now. I had a 14 1/2 neck, 32/33 arm, but the shoulders didn't come out far enough, and the neck was too tight. I exchanged it for a 15 1/2 neck, 34/35 arm, and now the neck and shoulders are perfect, but the arms are too long. But the shoulder length is determined by arm length, right? I feel like I can't ever find any clothes that fit because I'm not fat enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Zero The Hero posted:

Nice man. I have a similar worry about my job interview coming up, the flight leaves at 7:05 which means I need to be at the airport by 6 which means I need to be awake by 5, and I'm used to being in bed by 2 or 3. Best case scenario I get 4 hours of sleep on my 4 1/2 hour flight, and I'm still deficient.

I'm sitting here trying on dress shirts now. I had a 14 1/2 neck, 32/33 arm, but the shoulders didn't come out far enough, and the neck was too tight. I exchanged it for a 15 1/2 neck, 34/35 arm, and now the neck and shoulders are perfect, but the arms are too long. But the shoulder length is determined by arm length, right? I feel like I can't ever find any clothes that fit because I'm not fat enough.

I think you can find a tailor to fix those arms if the neck and shoulders are right. It shouldn't cost too much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

astr0man posted:

Got an interview in 20 minutes. I hope I can stay awake through it :v:. I've been up since 330 this morning because this company booked me on a super early flight to come out to Virginia.

Edit: Nailed it :toot:

:hfive: I had 3 interviews today, which is to say 3 different engineers from 1 company. Thought I did fairly well, it was all pretty simple. Basic interface problem, the ever popular FizzBuzz, swap the values of 2 variables, some SQL joins, and a method to determine whether a given number is prime.

Any idea if you have more rounds to go through? I had a phone interview and today's in-person one.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Any idea if you have more rounds to go through? I had a phone interview and today's in-person one.

If you don't have an offer letter, you might have more rounds.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The job was through a staffing agency, they said they'd be in touch with the recruiters :/

I really hope I don't though, because gently caress driving in Boston

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
My experience with agencies is that you don't hear anything for a completely arbitrary amount of time, and then when you do they want you to start tomorrow.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Sab669 posted:

I don't think so. I'm expecting an offer letter in the next week or two. All that's left is for them to verify my security clearance.

So do any of you goons work remotely full time? I telecommute one day a week, but this potential job would be 100% remote. The company is in the DC area, and I'm currently living in Chicago. I'd also be the only full time remote employee out of ~500 employees, so it'd be sort of a new experiment on both sides. The plan would be for me to travel out there roughly once a month, but other than that I'd always be in Chicago.

edit: Might as well talk about the technical questions I guess. The job is for reverse engineering/malware analysis and exploit development, so the questions weren't your typical software dev stuff.

The one basic C question was just write an implementation of strcpy(), but after that it was stuff like "Here's 7 lines of x86 assembly, what is it doing?" A couple of the questions were identifying standard lib calls, and other ones were more focused on identifying calling conventions (stdcall vs fastcall) and so on.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 1, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds a lot more interesting that what I might be doing :v:

I've never had a job working remotely full time, but a few months ago I was frequently working from home one day a week. Personally I don't like it, I get distracted too easily. I certainly see the appeal for someone whose more focused though. I also think it's nice to just force myself to get out, but I like my office environment- super casual, shorts & sandals. If I had to wear a suit or something more formal I could really see the appeal then.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So this might be the wrong thread but...

What the hell am I supposed to charge for freelance work. I'm all set to get to jawing out the details with a friend of the family for a complete redo of his corporate website, which is currently just 5 static html pages. We've gone back and forth about requirements, expectations, scope and the like, and we're ready to talk dollars.

It's going to be (roughly) an 80 hour job, so I'm thinking there's one price for that, and then he wants me to stay on (still in a part time remote capacity) to maintain/update the site (that's a monthly charge to me, plus additional if there's anything major?)

I'm completely lost....

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aBagorn posted:

What the hell am I supposed to charge for freelance work. I'm all set to get to jawing out the details with a friend of the family for a complete redo of his corporate website, which is currently just 5 static html pages. We've gone back and forth about requirements, expectations, scope and the like, and we're ready to talk dollars.

It's going to be (roughly) an 80 hour job, so I'm thinking there's one price for that, and then he wants me to stay on (still in a part time remote capacity) to maintain/update the site (that's a monthly charge to me, plus additional if there's anything major?)

Sounds like a $5-10k job.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

baquerd posted:

Sounds like a $5-10k job.

Flat fee for the design/development, you mean?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aBagorn posted:

Flat fee for the design/development, you mean?

For 80 hours of work. Figure out the hourly rate from there and charge that for maintenance too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Make sure you hash out the specs in strenuous detail beforehand, and have a plan for if he wants additional/enlarged/changed features in development. Because he probably will.

Really I'd only do a flat charge even for initial development if I was extremely confident in my ability to accurately estimate development time. Otherwise the chances of the project taking longer than expected are just too high.

I would also account for creation of documentation so that he has the option of passing on maintenance and ongoing development to someone else after you're done.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cicero posted:

Make sure you hash out the specs in strenuous detail beforehand, and have a plan for if he wants additional/enlarged/changed features in development. Because he probably will.

Really I'd only do a flat charge even for initial development if I was extremely confident in my ability to accurately estimate development time. Otherwise the chances of the project taking longer than expected are just too high.

I would also account for creation of documentation so that he has the option of passing on maintenance and ongoing development to someone else after you're done.

Right.

How about something like quoting him for an hourly rate ($100/hr) and then getting half of the planned work time up front (as a deposit), then a recalculation at the end of (total time*$100 - deposit amount) for the rest. That's probably the safest way to go on everyone's end

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

astr0man posted:

So do any of you goons work remotely full time?

I work from home almost 100% of the time. It's great.

aBagorn posted:

What the hell am I supposed to charge for freelance work.

Do Agile. Once you have a backlog with well-defined acceptance criteria and reasonable estimates, it's just a matter of deciding what the rate is. For solid professional work, a rate of $800-1000/day is totally reasonable.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Do Agile. Once you have a backlog with well-defined acceptance criteria and reasonable estimates, it's just a matter of deciding what the rate is. For solid professional work, a rate of $800-1000/day is totally reasonable.

How are you defining 'day', though? 8 hours? Because this will be a 'nights and weekends' contract, as my 9-5 is definitely the priority (though I hope that at some point I will be able to do more of the freelance and less of the other)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Can any SF Goons weigh-in on this Hacker News Poll? I was thinking about SF anyway but this is pretty convincing.

Poll: Full-time software engineers in the Bay Area, what's your annual salary?
- Current full-time software engineers and software developers in San Francisco and the Bay Area.
- Base salary only. Pre-tax. No options, shares, bonuses, adjustments for inflation, or benefits.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5802295

A user name "msoad" created this chart from the poll.
http://jsbin.com/idifos/1

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why don't you use a more reliable source? Like: http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Software-Engineer-I-Salary-Details-San-Francisco-CA.aspx

Their data collection:

"All of Salary.com's data is proprietary and is based on employer-reported data. It does not contain data from individual site users, placement agencies, job postings, nor any other sources that would traditionally be characterized as "unreliable" by compensation or human resource professionals."

That poll obviously conflates all the different tiers and experience. The sample is also going to be far more biased than any other volunteer poll.

edit I'm not in SF/Bay Area, but based on the base salary offers a friend of mine got (who has what a hiring manager at Amazon called a 'perfect resume and track record'), that looks high. The friend of mine is very good at what he does and he got offers from most of the companies in SF he applied to. (he applied to 30 some companies)

edit2 Just a thought. Why do people talk about base salary versus total compensation? Some tech companies will give you 50%-100% of your base salary in stock bonuses and that really makes a difference.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 2, 2013

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
"Software Engineer I" is very different than "software engineers". Software Engineer I is what big corporations call fresh-outs with zero experience. If you've been doing it for more than a couple years you probably have a Senior or Lead in your title somewhere. Or else you suck.

That is if you don't work at a company that lets you choose your own titles because they realize that job titles are pretty meaningless.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Can any SF Goons weigh-in on this Hacker News Poll? I was thinking about SF anyway but this is pretty convincing.

Poll: Full-time software engineers in the Bay Area, what's your annual salary?
- Current full-time software engineers and software developers in San Francisco and the Bay Area.
- Base salary only. Pre-tax. No options, shares, bonuses, adjustments for inflation, or benefits.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5802295

A user name "msoad" created this chart from the poll.
http://jsbin.com/idifos/1
Keep in mind that hacker news is going to skew towards more, shall we say, 'advanced' software engineers. People who write boring internal business apps or stuff for the government are probably a lot less likely to participate in that scene.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

evensevenone posted:

If you've been doing it for more than a couple years you probably have a Senior or Lead in your title somewhere.
At Amazon it seems pretty common to have even middle-aged engineers as SDE II. All the seniors I've met have been really really good at their jobs, and they've definitely had a lot more than a couple years experience.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thanks, didn't know about them.

Is Glassdoor any more accurate? They give a Low/Median/High of $70k/$90.5k/$119k, but
they also don't discriminate on experience.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,31.htm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 2, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

At Amazon it seems pretty common to have even middle-aged engineers as SDE II. All the seniors I've met have been really really good at their jobs, and they've definitely had a lot more than a couple years experience.

This is one of the reasons that job titles are pretty meaningless. They don't translate from company to company very well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Is Glassdoor any more accurate? They give a Low/Median/High of $70k/$90.5k/$119k, but
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,31.htm
Does glassdoor remove old salaries from their equations at some point? It seems like one issue would be that older salaries may eventually become obsolete; this would be especially true now as we've seen a pretty crazy bidding war for developers run up over the last several years.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

evensevenone posted:

"Software Engineer I" is very different than "software engineers". Software Engineer I is what big corporations call fresh-outs with zero experience. If you've been doing it for more than a couple years you probably have a Senior or Lead in your title somewhere. Or else you suck.

Definitely not true in my experience. At my past BigCorp, it took on average a good 10 years to get to senior unless you were extremely good at playing the game.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Cicero posted:

Does glassdoor remove old salaries from their equations at some point? It seems like one issue would be that older salaries may eventually become obsolete; this would be especially true now as we've seen a pretty crazy bidding war for developers run up over the last several years.

What's interesting is that there's actually not that much of an evidence of this widespread crazy bidding war. There are occasionally companies who enter their maturity phase and start giving out giant lumps for good people, like what happened with Facebook a few years ago, and more recently with Dropbox, but on average no developers really bought a third house just yet if they weren't on board among the first couple dozen employees on rocketship projects. That and once you adjust for your average $3000/bedroom in San Francisco, you're not actually ballin' that hard.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Job titles are meaningless and vary widely from company to company. At my last job I had "senior" title after 1 year of working there (it was my first full-time job after college). If you are looking at salary ranges, try to find something that sorts by years of experience rather than title.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

DreadCthulhu posted:

What's interesting is that there's actually not that much of an evidence of this widespread crazy bidding war. There are occasionally companies who enter their maturity phase and start giving out giant lumps for good people, like what happened with Facebook a few years ago, and more recently with Dropbox, but on average no developers really bought a third house just yet if they weren't on board among the first couple dozen employees on rocketship projects. That and once you adjust for your average $3000/bedroom in San Francisco, you're not actually ballin' that hard.

Yeah, it's pretty telling when you see that poll and the first thing you think is "wow, with $140k/yr I could probably afford my own apartment"

nmx
May 16, 2004

Cicero posted:

Yeah, SDE II covers a wide range at Amazon. It's probably not the best place for people who care about titles. There are some shops where pretty much everyone is a Principal Engineer, which is just ridiculous. (Also, sup, Amazonian buddy?)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

evensevenone posted:

Yeah, it's pretty telling when you see that poll and the first thing you think is "wow, with $140k/yr I could probably afford my own apartment"

Where would you be living in SF if you made $140k/yr?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Rent is absurd in SF. I would not recommend living here if you don't make 6 figures. One of the main reasons I live in the city was because my goal was to try out working for a startup in SF while living in the city.

The salary polls are stupid because there is no context for experience and other things such as stocks. Equally stupid was everyone postingn one of those things for each city on HN.

Best option: get hired by SF company, work remotely from either a state or some foreign country with cheap CoL

Also Sab669: :facepalm: on driving and doing an interview.
Edit: Guess they took out facepalm.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Rent is absurd in SF. I would not recommend living here if you don't make 6 figures.

I guess I have a lower minimum standard-of-living then the average developer, but $50k-$70k would easily be enough for me to have a great life in SF. Most people get by on less, right? Having a few housemates and living in the Tenderloin isn't that bad a tradeoff to be in walking distance of downtown SF.

But, I'm in my 20's and don't have kids or crippling health problems. Is requiring 6 figures just looking ahead to the middle-aged world?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Pay is always better when you can keep it for yourself. That's why I wouldn't mind living in California, housing and gas may cost more, but money in the bank is still money in the bank. I'm good at saving money(live off of 500$ a month here in Tennessee), so I think I could still manage to get quite a bit put away with a California salary.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Pay is always better when you can keep it for yourself. That's why I wouldn't mind living in California, housing and gas may cost more, but money in the bank is still money in the bank. I'm good at saving money(live off of 500$ a month here in Tennessee), so I think I could still manage to get quite a bit put away with a California salary.

I actually hear about a lot of people doing this, and getting out when they get a family and can't just get by on nothing.

Analytic Engine posted:

No problem. I wouldn't go with Glassdoor. They don't remove old data from what I can tell, and it's employee reported not employer reported. Sample sizes tend to be lower too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Analytic Engine posted:

I guess I have a lower minimum standard-of-living then the average developer, but $50k-$70k would easily be enough for me to have a great life in SF. Most people get by on less, right? Having a few housemates and living in the Tenderloin isn't that bad a tradeoff to be in walking distance of downtown SF.

But, I'm in my 20's and don't have kids or crippling health problems. Is requiring 6 figures just looking ahead to the middle-aged world?

Don't be stupid and live in the Tenderloin. I never enjoyed living with roommates. If you don't care about roommates then you can make it by with slightly less but unless you're so green that no company will hire you, you should be making pretty close to 6 figures.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Even at 90k, after tax you're at about 5k/mo, which makes a $2500/mo 1br a bit of a stretch.

In the rest of the world you could be buying houses. And boats.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I've got an interview tomorrow that seems like it might give me that big first full-time opportunity, and I'm excited as hell. It's VB.NET (I'm a C# guy right now) so I'm pretty happy; I'm going to be using different syntax but who cares, same language. They like my code samples and such.

What I'm wondering about is how to tell the current job I have, a 1099 thing where every other dev is remote, that I found full time but want to keep up here remotely like the other guys are, besides just "Yo, I got a full time offer, I want to start working remotely in two weeks."

Obviously if I get grief I'm going to say "well okay, I'll just finish this project up and give you my notice if I have to, do what you gotta do" but I can't help but feel that's stupid for my boss to do. I'm currently working on a project that's out of my experience and enjoying being paid to learn, but I feel like he's grooming me to be his web guy since the web guy he has now is hard to get a hold of due to his full time job, and he's afraid I'll end up the same. Since he can't/won't offer me full time right now, and I actually need it as much as I want it, I'm not going to wait and see. As fun as double dipping would be, I don't need to. I just get worried by habit from job hunts past, and I still don't have a lot of experience being shrewd or disappointing people.

The other thing I'm wondering is just what the minimum level of experience/resume padding/expertise is to have a good chance at getting a relo offer. I'm dying to leave Florida and get to SFO (or a similarly hot market with such wonderful weather and amenities!) and if there's a chance I could do it after I get YOTJ at this or my next job, I'll do it. If not I want to know how long to wait, or if I should just save up and crash in a cheap apt in whatever the cheap part of the bay area is and then play resume shotgun.

Hell, I'll get that goon who does resumes here to give mine a good polish and start sending stuff out NOW if an internship, a few months at a contract, collegiate coding experience and most of a CS degree is enough to have a real shot at getting an offer.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you see a job in SFO that interests you then just apply for it, if a company wants you for a position they will pay to relocate you, even for entry-level stuff. There's no minimum experience barrier for whether or not you get offered relocation.

edit: Also, if you don't need to work 2 jobs why would you?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

C# and VB.NET are the same language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

astr0man posted:

If you see a job in SFO that interests you then just apply for it, if a company wants you for a position they will pay to relocate you, even for entry-level stuff. There's no minimum experience barrier for whether or not you get offered relocation.

edit: Also, if you don't need to work 2 jobs why would you?

I still don't have a combined year of ExperienceAtAWorkPlace, though. Is the market there that hot?

W/R/T two jobs: 'cause I can. I'd like to pay off my student loans ASAP and take care of old medical debt from when I was a full time student that's killing my credit; I have a 13% loan from chase I had to finish a trade school thing from a while ago that has already loving doubled because interest is recapitalized. I cannot believe I was such a loving idiot, but then again that was signed before I had even taken college algebra.

I'm also helping my parents out with bills since they're, well, sick as hell. I'm not about to let people who supported me do without neurontin, insulin/metformin, and thyrogen. Thyroid cancer and Diabetes are serious business. I could do this with just one full time job but the ability to get my debts consolidated ASAP would be sweet. I'd also like to start saving soon, too. I'm already 28! (I didn't go to college until 25, if you were wondering.)