Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sylphid posted:

and humanity retreating behind another wall.

This part is actually wrong, just the wall in one of the outer cities made to bait titans which has been destroyed, since many people are a bit confused about it I made a small drawing:

http://i.imgur.com/zNTRrb8.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Petiso posted:

This part is actually wrong, just the wall in one of the outer cities made to bait titans which has been destroyed, since many people are a bit confused about it I made a small drawing:

So are the other bait circles in wall Maria still alive or what?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

Unlikely. The area between Rose and Maria is full of titans. A vast majority of the people who didn't join the refuges when word reached them probably starved to death a long time ago. The few that may remain would have to be be living off a dwindling supply of canned goods.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Kild posted:

Doubt it, they were probably evacuated with everyone else. I don't think those small areas could be self-sustaining, they'd need trade and resources from all over the area within the wall.

Also, I'm struggling to conclude whether bait areas are smart or dumb. One the one hand, I can see the logical reasoning - if people were spread out all over and a titan managed to open a hole in some random spot in the giant wall, people may not even know about it for days or weeks and by that time the titans have already invaded. Giving them one small spot to pay attention to lets the armed forces focus their attention and security better. But on the other hand, what the hell citizen would agree to live as titan bait? I suppose they could have some confidence in their safety if the wall hadn't been breached in 100 years, but Wall Maria DID get breached, and people apparently still felt totally fine living in a wall Rose bait town. I guess that's one thing the show hasn't really gotten across to me yet - are citizens allowed to live wherever they want? If so, what are the advantages of these bait towns that compel people to live there instead of, say, as close to the inner wall as possible?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Torix posted:

Doubt it, they were probably evacuated with everyone else. I don't think those small areas could be self-sustaining, they'd need trade and resources from all over the area within the wall.

Also, I'm struggling to conclude whether bait areas are smart or dumb. One the one hand, I can see the logical reasoning - if people were spread out all over and a titan managed to open a hole in some random spot in the giant wall, people may not even know about it for days or weeks and by that time the titans have already invaded. Giving them one small spot to pay attention to lets the armed forces focus their attention and security better. But on the other hand, what the hell citizen would agree to live as titan bait? I suppose they could have some confidence in their safety if the wall hadn't been breached in 100 years, but Wall Maria DID get breached, and people apparently still felt totally fine living in a wall Rose bait town. I guess that's one thing the show hasn't really gotten across to me yet - are citizens allowed to live wherever they want? If so, what are the advantages of these bait towns that compel people to live there instead of, say, as close to the inner wall as possible?

I think, rather than having them be places people choose to live in, it's more they might be the ONLY choice available for those people to live in; something along the lines of a slum compared to the inner walls. They're simply unable to afford to live anywhere else.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Well we know there are small villages spread around within the walls from some of the recruits. I imagine the towns are just the most logical place for people to move to though since there are rivers connecting them (or maybe only the town Eren grew up in?)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ep 9 was nice; terrible cliffhanger for my poor heart. Guess we have a real party going on. But who will be the healer?!

Dunno where they got the footage, but this version is pretty spiffy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnitUYISeGI&hd=1

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Torix posted:

This issue is brought up on this page http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/2/40

Essentially the economic impact of the local garrison and propaganda attract residents.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

darkgray posted:

Dunno where they got the footage, but this version is pretty spiffy

It's a menagerie of various Ghibli Studios movies. Off the top of my head I can see footage from Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, and there's still bits I don't at all recognize in there, like the giants with the glowing spears at the beginning and the many eyed bugs towards the end.

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

Akett posted:

...bits I don't at all recognize in there, like the giants with the glowing spears at the beginning and the many eyed bugs towards the end.

Those are both from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New episode is on crunchyroll now. :asoiaf:

e: it owned.

I thought I liked this a whole lot as a manga, but wow, I love it even more as anime. That titan just leisurely chewing on that guy like he was a piece of licorice or something was horrifying.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 2, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Awesome, anime's finally up to where I'm up to in the manga. And that basically rules out X% of people eaten by titans become titans (at least for non-human aligned titans), because your numbers aren't going to increase if you new titans start chestbursting out of old ones.

Also, what's the relation between the overzealous commander and the boot camp commander? The current one comes off as compensating for his cowardice back at the supply base, the boot camper is more harsh yet fair. One has a full beard, the other has a pointy goatee, but their faces are fairly similar. Brothers, perhaps?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe I just had it built up in my head too much, but the music for Eren's transformation was disappointing. A couple times in the build up it sounded like it was going somewhere good and then just kind of moved on from there back to soft choral.

The voice change for Eren's genocidal pleas was nice though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Maybe I just had it built up in my head too much, but the music for Eren's transformation was disappointing. A couple times in the build up it sounded like it was going somewhere good and then just kind of moved on from there back to soft choral.

I loved that scene. That song was all buildup for the for the transformation, and cutting out the music for the crunchy noises was good stuff, as well as the vampire music for the part where everyone is freaking out.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I still don't understand why they thought he was a titan. Who in their right mind would would assume surviving being eaten means you're a shape shifting wizard?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Fingers of Fury posted:

I still don't understand why they thought he was a titan. Who in their right mind would would assume surviving being eaten means you're a shape shifting wizard?

Because he came out of a titan? Came out of the bit they cut to kill them, even. It's straightforward enough.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

He popped out of a dying titan's weak spot, not a stomach. Jean even said, "So Eren... did all this?" They've got good reason to believe that Even was the Titan. Or I guess, on a more paranoid note, they think that Eren is a titan in disguise.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

So now he transformed into a half death Titan skeleton, guess he needs some more practice

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

He popped out of a dying titan's weak spot, not a stomach. Jean even said, "So Eren... did all this?" They've got good reason to believe that Even was the Titan. Or I guess, on a more paranoid note, they think that Eren is a titan in disguise.

Goddamn Megatrons :argh:

Now I kind of want a transformers transforming sound effect overlayed on Eren's transformation.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Also, most of them are probably not in their right minds, what with the second wall breaking and humanity being utterly and immediately hosed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Davincie posted:

Well we know there are small villages spread around within the walls from some of the recruits. I imagine the towns are just the most logical place for people to move to though since there are rivers connecting them (or maybe only the town Eren grew up in?)

All of the major towns (the bubbles) are built on rivers, allowing for ease of transportation of goods and people between the walls, and ready access to fresh water. The smaller towns between walls are the farmers and hunters that produce the vast majority of the food supply.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fingers of Fury posted:

Because five years a titan taller than the wall appeared and kicked everyone's poo poo in, along with his buddy the Armored Titan, who by all appearances is a living locomotive. Combine that with the regular aberrants and this guy is scared shitless that they've mutating into some sort of strange infiltrators or a disease something, who cares, kill it before it eats someone or spreads!

Also, there are quite a few witnesses to the Rage Titan punching the heads of giants to and fro. I don't see why they wouldn't know he was the titan, or are you asking why they're assuming his emergence is because he was the titan? Because they're not giving him the benefit of the doubt, because people don't just emerge from the bodies of dead titans. Also, the others probably hinted that they thought it was Eren after he emerged.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This episode was a bit strong on shouneny annoyance,
"Why!"
*using sentences to say other stuff when you could have used one sentence to easily explain the situation*,
*freak out*,
"I'll protect you, somehow!",
*inability to handle the situation properly*,
"WHY?",
*extended flashback to save animation budget and make sure even the dumbest viewers are caught up with the situation*
but it was still pretty good.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The blood:

The titan's blood on that lady's cloak evaporated. The blood on the dude's hands (after slicing the titan's weakpoint) did not.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

That was such a slow episode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I really, really dislike that guy with the beard who looks loving tired all the time. Although I guess I'm supposed to.

TheWorstSwordsman
Apr 23, 2013
Biting your thumb in order to turn into a violent, larger, more powerful version of yourself who likes smashing things?

Welp, looks like Eren's dad was actually Bruce Banner.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got a weird and unwelcome Naruto vibe when he bit his thumb and summoned a giant skeletal protector

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 2, 2013

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

That was such a slow episode.
Really glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Gyges posted:

Now I kind of want a transformers transforming sound effect overlayed on Eren's transformation.

Welp now I need to see this done, someone handy with editting get on this STAT!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpartanIV posted:

I got a weird and unwelcome Naruto vibe when he bit his thumb and summoned a giant skeletal protector

I get a weird and unwelcome vibe when I think about Naruto in general, so you're not alone.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Brutus Salad posted:

Really glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

So little happened that the episode preview for this week and last are almost identical. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Raiad posted:

Also, most of them are probably not in their right minds, what with the second wall breaking and humanity being utterly and immediately hosed.
Refer to this post:

Petiso posted:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Freddie Mercury is that you...?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to wait to die within the Titans Stomach if they didn't kill you outright by biting you in half or something.

That is a really terrifying scenario, having to wait to die and knowing there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Promotional ad for the BD/DVD release:

Look! They're using 3D gear to set it up. :v:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Zettace posted:

Yes! This was immediately what I thought.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So the crazy Elite Recon lady has to Sasha's older sister, right?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Zettace posted:

That is clearly Mike Haggar

The weird thing about the art style of the titans is how most of them don't look like monsters. They have modern hairstyles and non-anime faces. They just look REALLY out of place next to all the anime characters, which I guess does a good job of making them look like monsters.

Are the titans... us?

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tyberius posted:

Gyges posted:

Welp now I need to see this done, someone handy with editting get on this STAT!

Here's a crappy attempt at it.

• Locked thread