Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Phelddagrif posted:

Typo there, it should say "confusing." And he's right: this version of the Nonary Game seems to be a lot more complicated than the one in 999, where you just had to progress through numbered rooms.

One of my more amusing typos. Actually, it's not mine (strictly speaking) but I did fail to spot it so hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well. HUH. That's interesting. What's a tenth person doing here? Obviously one of the others left her here. Actually...huh. The people that came out of the leftmost elevator were Clover and K. Clover being unconscious when she left the elevator, it seems likely either K is responsible for the dead or unconscious woman on the floor, there's an eleventh person cleverly hiding from everyone, or Zero III has robots at its disposal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

evilspacehopper posted:

Well it's the leftmost room which Sigma and Phi weren't in before and haven't seen inside of yet. Nobody had to move the body into the room if it was there the whole time and we didn't know. Well that is if the body was there at the start, it could have been placed any time which means you could be right or one of the nine players here killed them while we were solving the elevator puzzle.

That is true, but if that's the case, the obvious answer is "K and/or Clover did it", and that seems a little too obvious to be right. If K did it, I imagine that he'd try to take the left-most elevator, if only so people don't ask him, "hey, did you see a body in the elevator you came out of?"

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2013

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
There is always the posibility that it was the doing of more than one person. Remember how people could return after solving the puzzle? For all we know, the three that went in one of the other doors(or even six!) are accomplices that immediatly doubled back after solving their room.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Medieval Medic posted:

There is always the posibility that it was the doing of more than one person. Remember how people could return after solving the puzzle? For all we know, the three that went in one of the other doors(or even six!) are accomplices that immediatly doubled back after solving their room.

Ahh, but if they opened the AB rooms we would have heard an announcement telling us that they had been opened.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alberenza posted:

Ahh, but if they opened the AB rooms we would have heard an announcement telling us that they had been opened.

Incidentally, the P.A. system dialogue is never skippable, if I remember correctly. It's pretty annoying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Medieval Medic posted:

Also possible, but unlikely. The more people working together, the less plausible it is. Two people couldn't leave a small puzzle room without being noticed by the third, so all three would have to be working together. But Sigma was the one who decided where everyone would go. A real conspiring trio would be more likely to volunteer their choice of door before Sigma. You'd need 5 conspirators working to account for all door combinations, which seems too many.

Unrelated, I hope Sigma's connection to whatever is going on is more interesting than "I saw the future and know who was there, so I arranged for it to be so".

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That is true, but if that's the case, the obvious answer is "K and/or Clover did it", and that seems a little too obvious to be right. If K did it, I imagine that he'd try to take the left-most elevator, if only so people don't ask him, "hey, did you see a body in the elevator you came out of?"
When would he get to surreptitiously knock out Clover so that she wouldn't think to ask him that?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

maswastaken posted:

When would he get to surreptitiously knock out Clover so that she wouldn't think to ask him that?

Well, if he's a bad guy, presumably before putting her in the "elevator". K said that Clover was unconscious from the time he woke up until after he leapt from the elevator. She never had a chance to see the inside of the elevator.

EDIT: In fact, it can't be a coincidence that Clover was out cold and can't confirm or deny the presence of a body there. Zero probably set it up to make K look suspicious. He's wearing a mask, claims to have amnesia, there's a dead or unconscious person in the elevator he came from, few people of the 9 had a chance to put it there.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 1, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

She might not be dead, just unconscious. :ohdear: I doubt she's Zero though, but there've been crazier twists in 999 alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Why are you freaking out Sigma? We ALL have corpses in our rooms. Don't you know how the AB game is played?"

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Bruceski posted:

"Why are you freaking out Sigma? We ALL have corpses in our rooms. Don't you know how the AB game is played?"

I guess Phi is just efficient in hiding bodies then. :v:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to speculate that the AB game is some version of the Prisoner's Dilemma. The hallmarks are there; a group of people that has no reason to trust each other, being isolated into separate rooms, incentive to betray others to improve your own situation.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Soon as we get out of here I can drink all the scotch I want.
And you can drink all the root beer floats you can stomach.

What?! You're gonna get me a root beer float?!
But... Are... are you sure? Do you have enough money...?

Oh, ye of little faith...
I found an old factory full of rare earth metals the other day...

...?

..."found" an old factory full of rare earth minerals? What, has the apocalypse happened or something?

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Overflight posted:

..."found" an old factory full of rare earth minerals? What, has the apocalypse happened or something?

... this isn't happening on Earth, rather on Mars or the Moon. This explains the ridiculous anime jumps. There is an explanation for the ridiculous anime jumps.

Mist Agent
Dec 28, 2012
When exactly does the Lp say that? Because I sure as don't see that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mist Agent posted:

When exactly does the Lp say that? Because I sure as don't see that.

The technique you've just seen, "speculation," is a powerful skill that allows those who are still unknowing to make predictions towards the future of the stories they view.

Mist Agent
Dec 28, 2012

alcharagia posted:

The technique you've just seen, "speculation," is a powerful skill that allows those who are still unknowing to make predictions towards the future of the stories they view.

Right, having no means to play this and eagerly waiting for this lp to start, I'm probably more paranoid about spoilers than I should be. Thanks for knocking me back down to earth.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

theshim posted:

Also one thing that popped up to me last update but I forgot to mention: there's something very off about Zero III's speaking. To wit, if he only picked it up as a habit then and there and decided to run with it, why are the supplementary rules written in that fashion? Or perhaps - how?

I think the obvious answer here would be that he lied.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So, how come K and Clover has a third person in their room? K and Clover are a pair so they should have been the only two in the room.

I'm really ruling out that K did it and it's got to be some kind of outsider.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

... this isn't happening on Earth, rather on Mars or the Moon. This explains the ridiculous anime jumps. There is an explanation for the ridiculous anime jumps.

We have moon bases in 2028?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ineffiable posted:

1. Speculation.
2. It could happen! You don't know!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Also, for people who don't know, 'rare earth metals' doesn't just refer to metals that are rare on earth; it's another name for the lanthanides (one of those rows way off to the bottom of the periodic table), which are worth a lot of money. So it doesn't necessarily have to be post-apoc for Tennmyoji's comment to make sense.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
If this were taking place somewhere off of earth, then there would be noticeable differences in gravity, crazy jumps aside. (There must be a different reason for those)
While moon bases may be possible, anti-gravity machines probably wouldn't be possible in 2028.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Alberenza posted:

If this were taking place somewhere off of earth, then there would be noticeable differences in gravity, crazy jumps aside. (There must be a different reason for those)

While moon bases may be possible, anti-gravity machines probably wouldn't be possible in 2028.

Yes, while the idea "they're on the moon" did cross my mind a little while ago, I can't imagine that even Sigma would fail to notice the reduced gravity.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ineffiable posted:

So, how come K and Clover has a third person in their room? K and Clover are a pair so they should have been the only two in the room.

I'm really ruling out that K did it and it's got to be some kind of outsider.

A lot of poo poo happens in 20 years.

Remember that 999 Took place in 2028 as well, and it had some neat poo poo going on.

Like doors that read bracelets and THE PUSHMASTER 5000 :black101:.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Umbilical Lotus posted:

My good man, you think too small.

These are the adventures of the starship Nonary. Its continuing mission, to seek out strange new riddles. To kidnap new contestants and devise new punishments. To boldy puzzle where no man has puzzled before.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Mist Agent posted:

Right, having no means to play this and eagerly waiting for this lp to start, I'm probably more paranoid about spoilers than I should be. Thanks for knocking me back down to earth.

Did you intentionally phrase your response like that, or did the joke occur spontaneously?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Count Bleck posted:

Remember that 999 Took place in 2028 as well, and it had some neat poo poo going on.

999 actually took place in 2027/2018. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

W.T. Fits posted:

999 actually took place in 2027/2018. :v:

Well you know that's like...

Shhhut up. :ssh:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, "crew quarters" makes me think they're either on a spaceship, or they're supposed to think that's where they are. Or maybe I just want that to be the case because it would be cool.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

A lot of poo poo happens in 20 years.

Like doors that read bracelets and THE PUSHMASTER 5000 :black101:.
Doors that read bracelets would actually be pretty simple. Probably some sort of RFID tag system for the specific numbers. Probably using a Near field communcation setup, which is actually derived from RFIDs. As far as I can tell, that's pretty much exactly the kind of tech you'd need to get the bracelets working.

Of all the things in 999, the bracelets are actually one of the things possible right now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

999 OST: [Trepidation]

Y-yeah, right!

We found someone! There's a... a lady over here!
She's unconscious!

She's covered in blood.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

What the hell were you yelling--!
What's going on here?!

Is she..

Quark! Don't look!
Somebody get Quark out of here!

O-Okay!
C-C'mon Quark!

Then... she's...

Yeah.. she's not breathing, and I can't find a pulse.
Her body's already cold, so I'm guessing she was.. I'm guessing she was murdered a while ago.

Murdered!?

Don't see a weapon around here, though.
That means either the killer took it with them, or... it was part of them.

Part of them...?

What are you suggesting?

It's just a joke. Don't take it so seriously.

Whatever. If we examine the wound we'll probably get a better idea of what the weapon was.
Let's get her to the infirmary.
She might be old, but she's still a woman. If we're going to do an autopsy, she should have some privacy.
Come on boys, let's go.

Maybe she didn't suffer much when she died.

Let's hope so...

You mean like an autopsy or something?

I'm just going to have a look at the wound. If we had a coroner, then it'd be a different story, but...

Um...

What?

You're a nurse?

No...

You're a doctor?

Well... I'm not exactly a coroner...

Interesting. I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover, can you?

You don't need to apologize...

Oh, um... I won't really be doing it...

It's called an ADAM.
It uses nuclear magnetic resonance imaging to examine and diagnose people.

Ah, yes. I remember.

Oh yeah? And just how the hell do you remember that?!

Because Alice, Clover and I examined this entire room.

So you think you can use it to perform some kind of autopsy?

Yes. I think I should be able to manage that.

Huh... Yeah, I don't really get it.
What's it mean by "instrument"? Was she stabbed with a clarinet or something?

It means a tool of some sort. A knife, probably.

In other words, she was stabbed in the heart, right?

Yes.

Sorry, but no.

Why?

I told you that was a joke.

Then why am I still a suspect?

Before we went in there, only two other people had been in that room...
You and Clover.
Only one of you was conscious.

I assure you, there was no one else in that room besides Clover when I woke up.
She must have been put there later.

But the door was locked, right?
I don't think anyone could've gotten in without the key...

Perhaps, but...

Yes, there was...
But Zero said he'd locked all the hatches.

Well, if he was telling the truth, nobody could have gotten in there after you two left...
Which means...

Why'd you kill her, K!?
I knew it! You're him, aren't you! You're the real Zero!

Wait a minute, please. Just calm down.
You aren't making sense.
Let's suppose I am Zero. Why would I do something that would obviously cast suspicion on me?

Uh... well... because... Because you figured we'd think that!
And you would throw us off the trail by doing the exact opposite!

That's not a logical argument.

Your argument doesn't confirm my guilt... but it does show us where we should be looking: the real Zero.

The person who brought us here is likely the person who murdered that woman.
Doesn't that seem like the most reasonable answer?

If Zero was the murderer, then they could open anything they wanted to.
I mean, didn't Zero say something about that?

Also, consider this: if the murderer isn't Zero...
...Why would the AI Zero stay silent?
He told us that his job was to make sure the game ran smoothly.
But now the unexpected has happened, and he says nothing.

Why would he do that?
If he can see everything we do...
Then he must know who killed the old woman.

He likely ordered Zero Jr., the AI, to keep his identity hidden.
If Zero Jr. told us about the murder, then Zero Sr.'s identity would be compromised.
There is something else to consider as well...

Zero Sr. murdered her.
Just as planned. Death is only another part of the game.

Killing someone is just part of a game to him...?

[Music fades out]

Ten minutes remain until Ambidex Game polling closes.
All players please enter your votes.

Whoa, what was that?

Well, one thing's for sure.

And that is..?

If we don't go "vote", something bad's going to happen.

Zero Jr. ensures the game continues, even though someone has died.
All of this is part of Zero Sr.'s plan.

Let's get back to the warehouse.
If we all head to the AB Rooms, maybe we'll see Zero Jr.
After all, he told us he'd give us specifics once we'd gone in.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

I mean, there was a dead lady in there just a few minutes ago...
Huh? Wait... Phi? Where'd you go?

Up...?

What the hell is she doing...?

Seriously? That's the best you can do?
I was expecting something about how I jump at the first sign of trouble...

Whatever. What're you up to up here anyway?
Everyone's already gone into the AB Rooms.

Yeah, well, there was something up here I wanted to check out.

And that is...?

This thing. Remember it?

Try opening it.

...No luck. It won't budge.

Hmm... Then that means this AB Room is locked down tight. No one could get in.

You're thinking about whoever killed that old lady, aren't you?

Yeah.

You still think it's K, huh.
Well, like Clover said...

I know. I just wanted to be sure.

VLR OST: [Ambidexterity]

Yeah, you're right...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 12, 2014

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

drat it Fedule, at this rate you might even SURPASS orenroren in the "sadistic cliffhanger" department. :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the "insult Zero III" "I'm/he's a rabbit" thing when it pops up. It's a small running gag (exacerbated by repeating scenes and how I'm too :allears: to skip ZIII's lines), but it makes me smile every time.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm just waiting for some sort of rat-bit pun.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kgummy posted:

I'm just waiting for some sort of rat-bit pun.

Anyone know what the equivalent for all these are in Japanese, and whether they work any better? Some of the English ones are a bit questionable in their success.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fedule posted:

Anyone know what the equivalent for all these are in Japanese, and whether they work any better? Some of the English ones are a bit questionable in their success.

In this case, it sounds like she's saying "the Mouse King", which I (and Wikipedia) take to be a reference to The Nutcracker. I think it works even less well, since the type of animal is right there in the name.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incidentally,

Overflight posted:

drat it Fedule, at this rate you might even SURPASS orenroren in the "sadistic cliffhanger" department. :argh:

Given the kind of game - and the kind of plot - we're dealing with here, you can break of at almost any point in almost any scene and get this effect.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

Incidentally,

Given the kind of game - and the kind of plot - we're dealing with here, you can break of at almost any point in almost any scene and get this effect.

I think it's that any picture you cut the story off at turns into a big twist cliffhanger. For example:

Dun dun DUN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Luna is very conspicuously vague about what license she has, though! :tinfoil:

• Locked thread