Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012
I've been totally crazy about this series for the last couple weeks, devoured the manga and loving the animu. So, here's a theory...thing I have regarding stuff in the latest chapters, mostly coming from discussions with friends. Just throwing it out there.

Starting off with the situation in Conny's village. So we come to this village, it's clearly been destroyed by titans, yet there's no blood anywhere and the horses are all tied up in the stables still. A titan that resembles Conny's mother is stranded atop one of the ruined houses. The Wall surrounding the area is found to have no breaks in it, yet Titans are still appearing. We've seen that it is possible for humans to become Titans. So, a reasonable assumption to make is that somehow, ordinary humans are being turned into titans.

Next, concerning titan shifters. Reiner and Bert saw a titan that looked just like Ymir's titan form eat a childhood friend. However, the humans within the walls have lived in peace for 100 years prior to the Colossal Titan's attack. Data regarding their origins, as well as Annie's, is incredibly disorganized. And a Titan outside the walls knew Ymir's name. So that leads me to think that the other titan shifters could all have come from a place beyond the walls?

My thought is that there may be another settlement beyond the walls, or at the very least there was. People there were turned into titans (maybe by the beast titan?), including Bert, Reiner, Annie and Ymir. But they have the power to change back to human, which makes me think that either some people are just special, or there is some kind of catalyst that allows transformed people to go back to human. That may be why Ymir started out as a feral titan (at least I assume this due to the eating), later coming into contact with said catalyst, and it may have had to do with whatever Eren's dad injected him with.

Because the themes of the series need to be kept intact (it would be bullshit if a magical titan "cure" was discovered), I'd assume that said catalyst only works under certain circumstances, with a small amount of people possessing some quality that activates it, or only within a certain time limit after becoming a Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

There was a line in the anime along the lines of "Their memories will help you understand your powers." when Eren was hulking out to block the cannon shot

I can't remember, was that in the Manga? Because that seems like kind of a huge loving deal, if Dadguy is implying that not only did he give Eren titan powers he also gave him the memories of past titans(possibly test subjects from the basement?) so that he could use his powers properly. But if that's the case, shouldn't he also know things like...where the titans are currently camped at?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
That depends on who "their" is. It could be other titans, but I'd be willing to believe that he's talking about people in the wall cult/government. Because of the colossal sealed in the wall, I think it's safe to assume that someone high up has a strong understanding of Titan powers and how to manipulate them. That said, I don't know why he'd specifically use he word "memories," but I hink gets make a good candidate for whoever Grisha was talking about. It might not be something he was giving Eren, but something he was encouraging him to seek out.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When he goes into Titan mode he's not really 100% in control. Could he have just meant that his innate titaness would have him up and fighting. Same way he automatically grows a rib cage shield or a fork grabbing arm without really thinking about it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

There was a line in the anime along the lines of "Their memories will help you understand your powers." when Eren was hulking out to block the cannon shot

I can't remember, was that in the Manga?

It was.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vincent Valentine posted:

There was a line in the anime along the lines of "Their memories will help you understand your powers."

It is; I definitely remember reading that page.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

From here

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm just going to step back slowly....and pretend I understand this image.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Connie carrying his Titanized mother in his handlebar basket is magic. I don't know what kind of magic, but magic nevertheless.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mio Bison posted:

Connie carrying his Titanized mother in his handlebar basket is magic. I don't know what kind of magic, but magic nevertheless.

Holy poo poo he's the kid from E.T. :roflolmao:

Also, the drill sergeant is amazing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When's the next issue anyway? It has to have been like a month by now.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Dr_Amazing posted:

When's the next issue anyway? It has to have been like a month by now.
Last one came out on the 12th right? So probably another week or so.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I thought that pose front and center with Mikasa and Eren was comparatively most normal thing in the picture, then I noticed Armin manwiched between them. Still the most "normal" thing about that picture.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
Finally caught up to current on the manga! I have been studiously avoiding this thread until I did so but now I'm done. Man... This comic is really good. The artist periodically has godawful linework and perspective on small details (the fists when they salute... EVERY TIME) but his broad strokes and lines of action are some of the best I've seen. Absolutely loving this poo poo.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I thought that pose front and center with Mikasa and Eren was comparatively most normal thing in the picture, then I noticed Armin manwiched between them. Still the most "normal" thing about that picture.

After looking at that image I made a face like Jean's. I'd say Jean and possibly Bert are the most normal.

Speaking of Jean, everytime I see his full name I can't help but read it as Jean Chretien :canada:.

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012

doyle-san posted:

Finally caught up to current on the manga! I have been studiously avoiding this thread until I did so but now I'm done. Man... This comic is really good. The artist periodically has godawful linework and perspective on small details (the fists when they salute... EVERY TIME) but his broad strokes and lines of action are some of the best I've seen. Absolutely loving this poo poo.

Yeah, to me the art definitely has a rudimentary feel to it at points. Proportions and perspective on things get a bit wonky. But honestly, I feel like that's part of the charm. Attack on Titan wouldn't be the same if it had a super polished or "pretty" art style. I think the rough looks lend themselves to the gritty story, especially where Titans are concerned. They look so wrong, it's right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A few years down the line, Murata Yuusuke will be commissioned to redraw Attack on Titan like he's currently doing with Onepunch-Man.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

A few years down the line, Murata Yuusuke will be commissioned to redraw Attack on Titan like he's currently doing with Onepunch-Man.

That would be glorious.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

chami posted:

That would be glorious.

I'd love to see Eren being drawn simplistically like Saitama.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

I'd love to see Eren being drawn simplistically like Saitama.

I think the other way around works out a little bit better. :p

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The man would have to build a thousand chapels and give every panel their own stained-glass window.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

chami posted:

I think the other way around works out a little bit better. :p

Hannes or someone yells out, "How is that bald titan standing up above the walls?!" Then Titan Saitama looks sad, rubs his head, and walks off dejectedly. Humanity is safe for another 100 years.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

When do raws usually show up? I'm so drat curious about the next chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It was inevitable really, but someone mixed up the Anime and Manga threads :v:

Seebach posted:

I read it, getting into the anime next, and then suddenly had one of those deja vu moments back with Battle Star Galaticca and how people were randomly psilons.

Ryner: Hey, me and Bertholdt are the Armored and Collosal Titans

Eren: :stare:

Also, love Sasha. Anytime she's in there, I just laughed my rear end off.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RatHat posted:

It was inevitable really, but someone mixed up the Anime and Manga threads :v:

Yeah, I saw that, christ what a awful thing to spoil. :cripes:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They really need to change the name of the threads. Look too drat similar.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Shingeki No Eotena: Armin has Eoten Eren's Mom

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
What's worse, I'm not even sure he didn't realize it was the anime thread. I think he honestly thought it would be fine to post under an unlabelled spoiler tag, in a thread where everyone is already posting under spoilers because it's the new episode.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Our poor anime-friends :(

The guy is kind of a dick; he's just throwing in spoilers for the sake of it.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Considering the anime will have an original ending, maybe they'll actually change the identity of the colossal titan. All hope is not lost for them.

Toadsniff posted:

Shingeki No Eotena: Armin has Eoten Eren's Mom

*Eotena means Kyojin

E: By the way, all the attention that post is getting in the other thread is making it worse and more likely for other people to get spoiled.

Comrade Question fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 3, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just rename this thread back to Shingeki no Kyojin and keep Attack on Titan for the anime thread.

why was this one changed in the first place, none of the translators or mangareaders call it Attack on Titan

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 3, 2013

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Comrade Question posted:

Considering the anime will have an original ending, maybe they'll actually change the identity of the colossal titan. All hope is not lost for them.

I seriously doubt the anime will be anywhere near caught up to the manga, it seems to be at about an episode per chapter rate right now which would put it at about the Annie Arc. If they do 12 episode seasons yearly they would actually keep pace, and hopefully have better animation.

Comrade Question posted:

*Eotena means Kyojin

:shepface:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Comrade Question posted:

Even if that does happen, you'd hope that the people only watching the anime will start reading the manga after the anime ends, so those guys are still totally screwed in this regard. I mean, the reveal is still done in a way that it's surprising even when you know, but having to sit around with those two knowing who they are is going to change the way anything involving them will play out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, like he says in his post, it's the equivalent of knowing who's a Cylon in Battlestar Galactica. It changes your perspective irreversibly.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Casualties are mounting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The best thing to do now is to not confirm it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Needs an OP that locks the anime thread whenever spoilers are posted like they do for Game of Thrones

e: people learned nothing from the last time this happened. do not confirm spoilers, assholes

Mr. Fowl posted:

My first reaction was that it must be a joke, given how people praise the manga for being "realistic", having a great story, and such. But everyone seems to be reacting like it is...

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bremen posted:

The best thing to do now is to not confirm it.

The outcry about it already implicitly confirmed the spoilers. :smith:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yep. No matter how many times you tell people screaming "spoilers!" is the absolute worst way to deal with spoilers, someone still does it.

The worst part is that even if someone isn't sure it's true now all the foreshadowing will probably confirm it for them after the earlier titan reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The only redeeming value for that post is that we may not actually get to the point where we discover their true identities in the anime. There's a lot of ground to cover between now and then, and a few places to stop the show for the season.

So everyone's going to be expecting those two, instead they get Annie, and we never see those two get confirmed.

Also yeah it was kind of inevitable. I've checked thread titles every single time I post in either thread and it was really only a matter of time before something got spoiled. That was the worst thing that could have gotten spoiled though.